• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Shinjica

Haha Capra Demon how did you like eating shit?

Productive day. Butterfly, Havel and Capra Demon. Not bad, if I may say so. I also killed that gold guy in the church and took his ring. With his ring, Havel's and the points I put in endurance I'm like a fucking heavy armor and shield wearing Energizer bunny.

YOU MONSTER!

xenist

The one time I did something because I heard about it and it turns out I shouldn't?

Eh, whatever. Killing the Capra Demon on my second try wil have to do.

Chitown B

Your best bet is to run up to the first tower, take a breather, run up to the top and head for the right hand one first and boot him off the edge. The left guy won't be able to hit you whilst you're dealing with the right guy.

Take a decent shield and some light to medium armour. Make sure you don't stop whilst running up or they'll knock you off. Even a gentle jog should be enough to avoid their shots.

It'll take you a few tries.

The way I did it was to poison arrow each one and just let them die.

The one time I did something because I heard about it and it turns out I shouldn't?

I killed him later too. Because I didn't want to have to deal with the side story and I didn't need the armor.

Oh fuck yeah, this bad boy just solo'd Ornstein and Smough.

me too last night! woot!

Yes, invasions will end in Anor Londo (after killing O&S) when you
kill Gwyndolin

uh, but it makes it dark and brings in a host of baddies. I wouldn't do it.

M.D

Man, this game is so brutal when you are melee only :(

I can't get past Ornstein and Smough, they always keep close and close the distance if I try separate them from one another

If I manage to separate them for a really small time, I always get screwed because they somehow join the fight super quick, and its a problem when you have to track 2 different enemies at the same time. If I try try to manavuer without being locked on one of them sometimes it works,but sometimes you just jump into one of them or lose control over the camera or something

Chitown B

my tips from soloing them just now:

stick to the outside of the room - lock onto Ornstein and just keep backing away in a huge circle. He'll eventually charge you - then roll to dodge, and heavy hit him. Then repeat. Eventually you'll get him. Smough will always be way too far behind him, but if he's a problem get in between a pillar and him when he charges/hits.

Once you're down to Smough, just keep back away until starts to swing, then roll into his body - he hits wide, not close. Take a hard swing and then back off. Rinse, repeat. Just watch for him electric butt slam and run away.

Man, this game is so brutal when you are melee only :(

I can't get past Ornstein and Smough, they always keep close and close the distance if I try separate them from one another

If I manage to separate them for a really small time, I always get screwed because they somehow join the fight super quick, and its a problem when you have to track 2 different enemies at the same time. If I try try to manavuer without being locked on one of them sometimes it works,but sometimes you just jump into one of them or lose control over the camera or something

see above. if O shoots a bolt, just sidestep. It doesn't move fast enough especially if it's in a straight line

cheezcake

My friend told me you need 30 int to use Darkmoon Blade, spent 10 levels on int and got up to SL92 for an int total of 24. Found out it actually requires Faith.

I'm a derp.

rugioh

Banned
Would it be a stupid idea to buy Dark Souls II without playing this first? Don't pile up on me all at once, just asking a curious question! My main concern is that I wouldn't be able to complete a playthrough of Dark Souls in time for March 11th.. I don't get too much time to marathon games nowadays with fulltime work.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Would it be a stupid idea to buy Dark Souls II without playing this first? Don't pile up on me all at once, just asking a curious question!

Very little relation plot wise. Might prepare you for the play style though. Cheaper too. It's also very very good.

It's your call. Wouldn't say it was necessary.

Deitus

Would it be a stupid idea to buy Dark Souls II without playing this first? Don't pile up on me all at once, just asking a curious question! My main concern is that I wouldn't be able to complete a playthrough of Dark Souls in time for March 11th.. I don't get too much time to marathon games nowadays with fulltime work.

Yeah, I wouldn't try to beat Dark Souls in time for Dark Souls 2. It's just not a game you want to rush through, and trying to do so would probably lead to a ton of frustration. You should have no problem jumping right into DS2. They still have a tutorial and everything, and the story should not require much in the way of prior knowledge. Obviously people who have played the previous souls games will have a leg up, but no matter which game you play first, you are in for a learning experience.

On the other hand, as Screaming Meat said, Dark Souls 1 is cheaper. You could pick up a copy of Dark Souls, and take your time with that, and then buy DS2 later on.

Chitown B

yeah, DS2 isn't going away after release date or anything. Get DS1 and see if you like it, for cheap. If you do, get DS2 for what might be onsale by that time.

M.D

see above. if O shoots a bolt, just sidestep. It doesn't move fast enough especially if it's in a straight line

Welp.. I managed to kill Smough, but the problem now is Ornstein.. I took the normal progress and didn't explore anywhere else before going into Anor Londo, so the best weapon I have right now is the Lightning Spear... I can't kill Ornstein first because I do 37 damage

If I kill Smough first, I get Super Ornstein which I can handle, but doing 37 damage means I have a bigger chance to make a mistake since it takes so damn long to kill him.

I'm not quite sure what to do, I don't want to summon someone and going all the way back to make a better weapon to handle Ornstein then back to Anor londo sounds awful lol

Chitown B

mine some souls and upgrade with the Giant blacksmith? If you went the regular way, you probably have the Claymore, which is a great weapon.

M.D

mine some souls and upgrade with the Giant blacksmith? If you went the regular way, you probably have the Claymore, which is a great weapon.

I got the Claymore, got it to +4 or 5, but the Giant blacksmith can't do anything past that? I think it does little less damage than the Lightning Spear to the Silver Knights. I don't remember exactly how much it did to Smough when I hit it with him when I tried it, but I think it did less than the LS since it has no fire/lightning/whatever modifier

Mistel

Banned
I got the Claymore, got it to +4 or 5, but the Giant blacksmith can't do anything past that? I think it does little less damage than the Lightning Spear to the Silver Knights. I don't remember exactly how much it did to Smough when I hit it with him when I tried it, but I think it did less than the LS since it has no fire/lightning/whatever modifier
You missed a ember thing in the depths that allows you to go above +5, I did the same thing.

M.D

You missed a ember thing in the depths that allows you to go above +5, I did the same thing.

I got the ember, but going past +5 is done at Andre, the Giant blacksmith can only do up to +5 (and some other modifiers, but I don't have any of these right now)

That's something I haven't heard before.

Haha. I had to read that post twice.

I don't get it.

I thought it was a pretty fun fight. Pretty intense, but not unfair. But not a pushover like every other boss so far besides (New game, Only have DLC, Ash lake and Final boss left).

Only annoying thing was having to switch rings to walk across that lava everytime I died then switch back before the boss.

Anyways, I love how the armor in this game doesn't have any int/dex/str stats on it, I can just mix and match w/e I want to look cool as long as the weight is good.

So now that I have everything maxed though... Is there anything else to spend souls on besides leveling?

Mistel

Banned
I got the ember, but going past +5 is done at Andre, the Giant blacksmith can only do up to +5 (and some other modifiers, but I don't have any of these right now)
It's not universal? That sucks but at least he can do some stuff though.

M.D

Nah, you need different blacksmiths for different upgrade paths

This upgrade chart is really good

It just came to my mind that there's a Crystal Halberd near the first bonfire where the 3 Knights are, I think that might be my best bet at beating Ornstein..

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so is it normal to have this early equipment last a long time, or should I be finding other stuff?

I've basically been rolling with this starting scimitar at +5, though now that I think of it I wasn't doing that much damage on the
gaping dragon
, though I'm not sure if that's because the game scales enemies up when you have people summoned.

I've been running basically with the boar head helm and chain armor with knight shield. just got to the bonfire in Blighttown

so is it normal to have this early equipment last a long time, or should I be finding other stuff?

I've basically been rolling with this starting scimitar at +5, though now that I think of it I wasn't doing that much damage on the
gaping dragon
, though I'm not sure if that's because the game scales enemies up when you have people summoned.

I've been running basically with the boar head helm and chain armor with knight shield. just got to the bonfire in Blighttown

Everything has its use. If you're fine with early game stuff, then you're fine with early game stuff. Everything is balanced against everything else (more or less), so don't worry about it.

Mistel

Banned
Nah, you need different blacksmiths for different upgrade paths

This upgrade chart is really good

It just came to my mind that there's a Crystal Halberd near the first bonfire where the 3 Knights are, I think that might be my best bet at beating Ornstein..
That's cool that charts really helpful.

Sens fortress is full of mean snake things :(.

Chitown B

Andre needs to ascend it, but you can then level it anywhere after you ascend it.

Go back to Undead Burg for a bit maybe. You can take the gargoyles back to Sen's, and then the cage elevator down to Undead Burg.

gaping dragon

The game doesn't scale, at all. Until you go to a NG+ situation, and then everything bumps up - but it doesn't change.

Mistel

Banned
Andre needs to ascend it, but you can then level it anywhere after you ascend it.

Go back to Undead Burg for a bit maybe. You can take the gargoyles back to Sen's, and then the cage elevator down to Undead Burg.
You can ride gargoyles? I just when past the titanite monster into dark root then I killed havel and i'm getting stone armor now.

I've been trying to actively avoid press about the actual content of the game. Do we know for sure if this is a prequel or a sequel or is it still unknown?
It's set
after DS1
, but if it has wibbly-wobbly space-time like the first game, who knows where or when you'll end up. We don't know yet :)

gaping dragon

You should've found the Large Ember in the Depths which lets you ascend weapons to +10. I always make it a priority to upgrade as much as I can, as soon as I can.

ZenaxPure

The game doesn't scale, at all. Until you go to a NG+ situation, and then everything bumps up - but it doesn't change.

Pretty sure he's talking about bosses changing depending if you have players summoned, which, according to the coop page on the wiki they do. Bosses get more HP if you have phantoms with you.

Top Bottom