• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

If you feel comfortable back tracking to the Depths door (you can probably run past all the enemies to the ladder up), you should easily be able to get back to Firelink Shrine, take the lift, and get to the blacksmith.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If you feel comfortable back tracking to the Depths door (you can probably run past all the enemies to the ladder up), you should easily be able to get back to Firelink Shrine, take the lift, and get to the blacksmith.

:/

Mindlog

I've got to level 44 so that's a range of +/- 14.4 levels. I've seen someone with much better gear than me already :(.
Different rules for different areas. Gear isn't taken into account when balancing. For my money that is equal to if not more important than SL. Pretty easy to SL1 PvP gank with certain setups.

Would have been more interesting if the system worked by total soul spend instead. Pyro gloves would be less of a free add-on.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
okay, ran back, wasn't that big of a deal

I can take my scimitar to +6 or make it "raw"

"raw" has obvious higher attack power, so I assume it's a trap of some sort? Or it just doesn't scale as well?

Fuck curses. And the basilisks they rode in on.
If you're in a spot where they can fall, just kite them and run away. They're great at committing suicide. If you're not, try taking them one on one. If you do, don't let them have a chance to breathe that curse cloud stuff. Just wail on them!

Mistel

Banned
someone at level 1 can have better gear than you.
I wonder if starting with the master key you could use valley of the drakes to access both bells with only needing to do 2 bosses? I mean that would allow you to access better equipment depending on your tastes for arms and armor.

Turns out it wasn't a bonfire it's a magic 4 armed cobra. I'm not finding Sens hard now I've kinda figured out what i'm doing.

mannerbot

I wonder if starting with the master key you could use valley of the drakes to access both bells with only needing to do 2 bosses? I mean that would allow you to access better equipment depending on your tastes for arms and armor.

Turns out it wasn't a bonfire it's a magic 4 armed cobra. I'm not finding Sens hard now I've kinda figured out what i'm doing.

Yes, Taurus Demon is an optional boss. You can also beat the whole game without leveling.

Most definately. You can get at least a +2 fire weapon in 5 minutes of arriving at Firelink without killing any bosses.
Green Titanite shard in New Londo, drop down to Vamos and get another. Catacombs lizards drop them IIRC too

And if you only kill Quelaag and
Ceaseless Discharge
you could take that up to about +8 if you are lucky with upgrade material drops, and
grab the large flame ember from Demon Ruins
I usually have at least a +6 fire weapon before I enter Sen's, not sure I've ever got it as high as +9 because
I usually leave the lizards in the Great Hollow until I have the gold serpent ring, but they do drop red titanite chunks sometimes

Grab the stone and elite knight armours from the forest and you're good to go.

so i picked up the lightning spear from within sens and MAN does it do work

ez6DGzF.png

Kalameet can suck my dick.

I'm SL5, does anyone think they can help me out with this bastard? Guy is incredibly hard for me, I always get caught by SOMETHING stupid, like getting two hit when he's halfway down.
PC Version, DSCFix installed, if anyone is interested.

Soriku

Kalameet can suck my dick.

I'm SL5, does anyone think they can help me out with this bastard? Guy is incredibly hard for me, I always get caught by SOMETHING stupid, like getting two hit when he's halfway down.
PC Version, DSCFix installed, if anyone is interested.

I don't own the PC version, but some tips:

-Equip the Crest Shield if you have it since it has good magic resistance.

-Try to keep your equip load at/below 25%. Mobility is really key in this battle, much more so than extra defense. The Dark Wood Grain Ring helped me a bit too, though I'm not sure it's entirely necessary.

-Try to keep your distance from him. You don't want to stay too close to him for the entire fight. Or hell, most of the fight. You only want to inch up on him when you can and attack him on his openings. If he's close to you (he walks fast), hit him if you see an opening, then back up.

-When keeping your distance, his flame attacks are easy to dodge. Just quickly keep dodging to the left.

-He has a quick lunge which can catch you off guard. Dodge it if you can, but if not then block (hopefully you have enough stamina to withstand the hit). He has some other smaller lunges, where I found dodging to the left and then dodging to the back helped.

-Sometimes (but not always) he can act slowly and even if you're close to him you can pop an Estus Flask. Use this opportunity.

Noice. Souls keeps giving :)

Fuck curses. And the basilisks they rode in on.
One piece of curse-resistant armour should end any curse woes. The first time I got cursed I was wearing some big heavy stuff and the meter just shot up and I immediately got cursed, then I realised it was my armour choices that always made curse a non-entity, since I almost always use a piece from sets like Dingy or Dusk's.

Randam

Some "pro tips":

Gold serpent ring only makes things drop more often.

Crystal lizards always drop something so the ring is useless.

And dark magic does physical damage so magic defense doesn't matter.
Edit: dark magic does both. Physical and magic damage.
Still something to consider.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Velkas rapier riposte...

oh my. 1K+ without hornet or anything. 2k+ with hornet/power within

I wonder what hornet,pw and red tearstone would offer.

Crystal lizards always drop something so the ring is useless.
I know this, but it seems over my entire Souls playing that wearing gleans better drops than not wearing it (or rather having higher item discovery does - I always have at least 10 humanity regardless). Just my experience, but if I leave the lizards till I have max item discovery I get better drops - may just be my imagination - I know the lizards can drop some crap sometimes (2 green titanite shards?! But I wanted a red chunk!) - but it works for me.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I know this, but it seems over my entire Souls playing that wearing gleans better drops than not wearing it (I always have at least 10 humanity regardless). Just my experience, but if I leave the lizards till I have max item discovery I get better drops - may just be my imagination - I know the lizards can drop some crap sometimes (2 green titanite shards?! But I wanted a red chunk!) - but it works for me.

They always drop a twinkling titanite but their other drops (such as slabs) are affected by item discovery.

As I wasn't exactly feeling up to a Onebro run, I've opted instead for a run capped at SL25 with a Zweihander (first time user). I'm at the fog gate for O&S and it's been smooth sailing so far. Funnily, enough, the Gargoyles have given me the most trouble thus far, probably because I was still coming to terms with the extremely slow and crippling play-style of the Zwei at the time.

Have I mentioned how ridiculous it is that I can stun bosses with this thing? Mental.

I've kinda commenced this play-through to reacquaint myself with the difficulty that is taking on O&S for the first time as a DS noob (hence the gimped SL). However, I am now worried that running with a +10 Zwei is a bit counteractive to this, even if its speed is a massive hindrance against these guys. I might craft a +10 Claymore and challenge myself with that first.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I was looking to do a Rapier/Sorcery build since I've never used sorcery and like the look of Dark magics. I might follow that! :)

What was your starting class?

Sorcerer one lol :p

If I re rolled, I would probably stop int at 44 or w/e it is for crystal soul spear. White dragon breaths cast time makes it virtually useless.

It was just a screw around character that I decided to try (never been big on casters in RPGS) and now I just got Kalameet/Manus and Gywn in NG. Bosses take so much damage from spells it's actually funny.

Dyno

Oh god I'm playing again! I couldn't even get a Diablo character to 60th level before being sucked back in.

I'm running through the game with a sorceror, just trying to get the Lordvessel as quickly as possible. I'm leaving trasures all over the place. It's been crazy but fun and I got to Anor Londo.

Playing a pure sorceror, what stats do you folks recommend? I shot my Int. to 40, should I got to 50? What about other stats? What do you like to kit your sorceror with? I have only put a couple points in the physical stats. I'm using a Bandit Knife +5 and I'm building a spear to become that Moonlight Butterfly thing.

Sorry if I am just completely ignorant, but what is the advantage to playing with a soul level higher than one or whatever? I know it helps raise your item discovery rate, but why would you want to risk losing all that humanity?

Or is soul level something else?

Chitown B

Sorry if I am just completely ignorant, but what is the advantage to playing with a soul level higher than one or whatever? I know it helps raise your item discovery rate, but why would you want to risk losing all that humanity?

Or is soul level something else?

soul level is just "level" - you raise a level and choose some stat to boost your defense or offense, basically.

"Soft" humanity is that humanity you're playing with - it's that number in the top corner. You gain it by using the humanity pieces, or by killing enemies over time in an area that you haven't killed the boss yet. It raises item discovering and your own power, up to 10 I think.

Playing a pure sorceror, what stats do you folks recommend? I shot my Int. to 40, should I got to 50? What about other stats? What do you like to kit your sorceror with? I have only put a couple points in the physical stats. I'm using a Bandit Knife +5 and I'm building a spear to become that Moonlight Butterfly thing.
Knives are good, I like rapiers with a sorcerer too. You can downgrade the Sen's lightning spear to +10 for instant Butterfly Horn goodness.

I would rather bump up attunement than put points into INT past the requirement for Crystal Soul Spear (44?), I never bother with Dragon's Breathe and by the time I get to Duke's I like to have 5 spell slots if not 6.

Dusk crown / bellowing ring are a must (or at least easily switchable, I always arrange my go to gear together for quick switching) and I also have Power Within so pyro glove in off hand.

Top Bottom