• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Randam

They always drop a twinkling titanite but their other drops (such as slabs) are affected by item discovery.

This does not increase the chance that a specific item will drop, only the probability that an item in general will drop. Rare items are still rare items, the enemy is still more likely to drop its common items, but there is a better chance per kill that it at least drops something. As such, it has no effect on enemies that have a 100% drop rate.
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/covetous-gold-serpent-ring

NinjaBoiX

I just killed O&S. I eventually gave up on the Leo Ring and just killed Ornstein first.

Super Smough is a pussy.
Blighttown is awesome.

You wont think that as you go through it. But when you're older, you'll look back and appreciate it.
I like you man, but don't tell lies.

;)

Mindlog

I would rather bump up attunement than put points into INT past the requirement for Crystal Soul Spear (44?), I never bother with Dragon's Breathe and by the time I get to Duke's I like to have 5 spell slots if not 6.

Dusk crown / bellowing ring are a must (or at least easily switchable, I always arrange my go to gear together for quick switching) and I also have Power Within so pyro glove in off hand.
My Sorcerer went all the way to defeating NG++ O&S.
I didn't use it at first, but I really grew to like Dragon's Breath in PvE. It's very strong and quick with lots of casts. I like 50 INT, but more attunement early can work as well. The usk Crown and /Bellowing Ring will definitely make your life easier. Power Within vs bosses... You are the boss.

My favorite weapons were Moonlight Butterfly Horn and then Moonlight Greatsword. Obsidian Greatsword for the magic resistant enemies.

Mistel

Banned
I must have gone past the bonfire at Sens I've got to the small little bridge with the pendulum axes, I mucked up and got flung off.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Since we're posting super high-res screenshots I thought I'd share some of my own.

Rendered at 5760x3240

12232090785_eafe3f88cd_o.jpg
12232493534_0518eda602_o.jpg

12232491734_869972c541_o.jpg
12427631604_e2037ac4a1_o.jpg

12427296613_a57004e4b2_o.jpg
data_2014_01_30_20_05_21_28_by_aloo81-d74fnxn.jpg

data_2014_01_30_20_10_58_39_by_aloo81-d74fnx9.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
With the new game upon us... I would just like to take a moment and give a shoutout to all the long-time (and new) Souls gaffers who've made these threads a real joy to read.

There is a notion that Souls-folks are dickish and such, but in my experience over the last few years is that Souls community is super friendly and helpful, especially on gaf, so everyone pat yourselves on the back heartily, from me... you earned it.

See you guys in the next chapter.

With the new game upon us... I would just like to take a moment and give a shoutout to all the long-time (and new) Souls gaffers who've made these threads a real joy to read.

There is a notion that Souls-folks are dickish and such, but in my experience over the last few years is that Souls community is super friendly and helpful, especially on gaf, so everyone pat yourselves on the back heartily, from me... you earned it.

See you guys in the next chapter.
It seems to be the case that the OT for these games are great communities, but often other threads become populated by the sort of negative people you allude to. There was one such in the DSII first review thread, but he's banned now it seems.

Cetra

Since we're posting super high-res screenshots I thought I'd share some of my own.

Rendered at 5760x3240

What processor and graphics card are you running? I really wanna try the rendering resolution that high if my specs are up to snuff.

i52500k @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX780 Superclocked

Randam

Yep I found it now, I've killed the heavy knight and the guy in the tower. I'm just trying to figure out where to go now.

up.
found the merchant yet?

What processor and graphics card are you running? I really wanna try the rendering resolution that high if my specs are up to snuff.

i52500k @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX780 Superclocked

your system should be able to do that.
framerate is an other question. ^^

soontroll

Banned
Iron golem down first try, without any difficulty Tarkus distracted him and I just hit him in the legs, it died pretty much after it fell over, I love my +9 claymore. Should I explore anor londo or backtrack?

If your gear is good enough, head straight to Anor Londo. Also Tarkus can actually just solo him. You can just stand near the fog gate :p

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

i52500k @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX780 Superclocked

You could try it, but I'd recommend if you do to turn off SSAO.

With SSAO on I get about ~5fps framerates and with it off about ~15.

I have a GTX570 and an i5 2400k @ 3.8Ghz.

If you want something nice and playable, 3840x2160 with SMAA could probably hold 60fps for you.

Great shots, Alo81.

Thanks duder!

Mistel

Banned
stormtrooper: I will pay you to get me to through sens

I cant take this anymore
What armor are you using I've got stone helm and torso with base elite knight legs and arms with havel ring. I'm using a claymore +9, grass crest +3 shield and I've got a blader knight one somewhere :/.

As for those guillotines I just sprinted at them whilst wearing my armor I just watched them to get the timing right and I was through for the first attempt and the second attempt of the last set.

What armor are you using I've got stone helm and torso with base elite knight legs and arms with havel ring. I'm using a claymore +9, grass crest +3 shield and I've got a blader knight one somewhere :/.

As for those guillotines I just sprinted at them whilst wearing my armor I just watched them to get the timing right and I was through for the first attempt and the second attempt of the last set.

its not hard just annoying. I can take out the serpents in 3 hits but its the guillotines that drive me crazy.

Having someone to help you won't make getting past the guillotines easier lol.

Just follow what I said.

yeah I made the first set but of course as soon as i stepped out to do the set in the gif above a serpent mage had to shoot lightning at me and cause me to fall -_-

xenist

Is Gaping Dragon supposed to be this easy? I mean, he has a billion hitpoints but other than that he's a piece of cake. If I hadn't fallen off that stupid cliff I'd have killed him in my second try.

Seance

Banned
Nothing I have seen of Dark Souls 2 looks visually on par with the original. Why don't From just released super sampled shots of the PC version and be done with it? I'm getting anxious...

soontroll

Banned
Is Gaping Dragon supposed to be this easy? I mean, he has a billion hitpoints but other than that he's a piece of cake. If I hadn't fallen off that stupid cliff I'd have killed him in my second try.

Yeah he's one of the easiest bosses but hits quite hard if you stay too close.

NinjaBoiX

Pinwheel is ludicrous, I just walked up to him, slapped him in the face a few times and then he fell over. I was waiting for the game to fuck me over but no, he's just a chump.

ZenaxPure

Yeah. There doesn't appear to be any real upward slope of boss difficulty in the game, it's entirely random. Then again Demon's Souls was the same way, you had to actively try to die on most of the level 3 bosses.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
what do you mean split damage? Like C/C/x/x?

As in split between physical and elemental damage types on a single weapon.

Your attack rating shows the total increase of the damage but in reality, when you hit an enemy it has to go through 2 defenses and thus you end up doing a lot less.

Playing a pure sorceror, what stats do you folks recommend? I shot my Int. to 40, should I got to 50? What about other stats? What do you like to kit your sorceror with? I have only put a couple points in the physical stats. I'm using a Bandit Knife +5 and I'm building a spear to become that Moonlight Butterfly thing.

I would only go to 44int for crystal soul spear, white dragon breath (the only spell needing 50int afaik) isn't exactly worth it due to cast time.

Sorry if I am just completely ignorant, but what is the advantage to playing with a soul level higher than one or whatever? I know it helps raise your item discovery rate, but why would you want to risk losing all that humanity?

Or is soul level something else?

I do believe you're referring to soft/active humanity.

Up to 10 it increases item find and also some weapon damage scales (chaos types mostly but I think one of Artorias' swords scales with it aswell) and all the way up to 99 it increases defenses.

Later in the game there are easy ways to farm humanity sprites which means running around with active humanity is hardly a problem. Also, not losing your shitstain is a good idea.

Top Bottom