• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
Who's Jeff Green?

I'm not sure whether to go full giants or my current mix of stone and elite or just pick up the golem set?

Who's Jeff Green?

iGuXl7pWUrfHL.gif

You amateurs.

I first-timed the final set of guillotines without even killing the unreachable snake mage last night (I had no ranged options). It was pure balls in animated pixel form.

:)

Deitus

Havel's ring and ring of favor as well? What are you a casul? :p
I hope you get the joke it's from the dark souls 2 first review thread

The joke's a wee bit older than that. ;)

So Jeff Green = old person?

That's probably what he would say if asked. But I like to think there's more to him than that. But putting aside who he is, he's an entertaining dude to watch play Dark Souls.

Is there an official game manual for the 360 version? I downloaded the game the other night, so I don't have an instruction manual and I can't find one online.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Jesus Christ Alo81 those are fucking amazing.

Thanks, appreciate it!

I've done a ton of other stuff with Dark Souls (You've probably seen the slow motion GIFs I've posted around before). It's my favorite game so I love putting out quality stuff with it.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Bah, I've resigned myself to the fact that I just don't understand how PvP works in this game and/or I'm terrible at it.

I've got a SL 40 dude with twinked out Tarkus armor and a BKS +5 and my swing just bounces off an invader with the fucking wooden shield, who then proceeds to one-shot me with a shotel.

I don't get it.

Continuing from where I left off previously in Anor Londo...

YEAH, WHAT NOW YOU STUPID ARCHERS
Thank you so much for the advice here! I was fortunate enough to survive attacking the right side archer, and I knocked the left one off by sniping him from around the wall that shields his attacks in the fight.

Made it safely through the rest of the castle after the bonfire (hah). Managed to find Havel's armor, level up several times, die numerous times to the headless demon, found the onion knight guy, and somehow defeated Lautrec. I nearly lost it because my final blow to him was immediately followed up by being killed by one of his henchmen. I thought I had blown it for sure, but the bonfire greeted me with the fire keeper's soul and other items. Thank goodness!

I made it to the dreaded Ornstein and Smaugh... I'm not too worried right now. I tried fighting them three times- the first wasn't too bad, but I was easily defeated. The second try, I killed Ornstein, but Smaugh handily murdered me after the lightning absorption... Wasn't expecting that one. The third time they just had their way with me. So, I figure I'll give it a try next time.

Looking forward to having that eventual victory! I hope!

Seance

Banned
Bah, I've resigned myself to the fact that I just don't understand how PvP works in this game and/or I'm terrible at it.

I've got a SL 40 dude with twinked out Tarkus armor and a BKS +5 and my swing just bounces off an invader with the fucking wooden shield, who then proceeds to one-shot me with a shotel.

I don't get it.

Could be Iron Flesh.

Kalameet is impossible.

EDIT: At Sl5

Elemental weapons are pretty week against DLC bosses, it should just take a bit longer. If you can learn all his moves you shouldn't have much issue.

Continuing from where I left off previously in Anor Londo...

YEAH, WHAT NOW YOU STUPID ARCHERS
Thank you so much for the advice here! I was fortunate enough to survive attacking the right side archer, and I knocked the left one off by sniping him from around the wall that shields his attacks in the fight.

Made it safely through the rest of the castle after the bonfire (hah). Managed to find Havel's armor, level up several times, die numerous times to the headless demon, found the onion knight guy, and somehow defeated Lautrec. I nearly lost it because my final blow to him was immediately followed up by being killed by one of his henchmen. I thought I had blown it for sure, but the bonfire greeted me with the fire keeper's soul and other items. Thank goodness!

I made it to the dreaded Ornstein and Smaugh... I'm not too worried right now. I tried fighting them three times- the first wasn't too bad, but I was easily defeated. The second try, I killed Ornstein, but Smaugh handily murdered me after the lightning absorption... Wasn't expecting that one. The third time they just had their way with me. So, I figure I'll give it a try next time.

Looking forward to having that eventual victory! I hope!

The Titanite Demon in Anor Londo is boss-material. The room is tiny and it keeps hopping around on top of you.

cheezcake

yeah I haven't been able to kill him yet. I'll get him down to nothing and then it seems like he has endless health.

If you're a pure melee character I think the best strat is to hug the front right of the titanite demon at all times, have your shield up and take hits inbetween his attacks.

That way there's only his jumping attack which can really hit you

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm guessing he would have noticed if the dude had cast Iron Flesh? He said his attack bounced off some crappy shield, and then he got one shot for no apparent reason. Seems pretty obvious to me. *shrugs*

Feindflug

Sullichin

I'm guessing he would have noticed if the dude had cast Iron Flesh? He said his attack bounced off some crappy shield, and then he got one shot for no apparent reason. Seems pretty obvious to me. *shrugs*

Yeah I can't think of a situation where a black knight sword should bounce off a plank shield. You'd notice if the guy had iron flesh or the Havel shield buff, unless there was a bug where it doesn't show up if they cast it before you arrive (like homing soulmass), but I doubt it.. you'd still notice them moving slowly. Also, a shotel isn't really a weapon that should one hit you if you have decent stats. Sounds like a cheater.

Mistel

Banned
First time the internet made me feel old. You guys should listen to GFW podcast -- all of the episodes can be downloaded via torrents or any site that has archived it.
Podcasts are dull though, I already have fun stuff to do on the internet...

Podcasts are dull though, I already have fun stuff to do on the internet...

The GFW podcast most certainly wasn't. It had some of the most eloquent and entertaining explanations (by Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot) of why particular games were good or bad that I have ever heard. They really knew their shit and the podcast had a pretty much perfect blend of personalities.

and I miss it dearly

Chitown B

If you're a pure melee character I think the best strat is to hug the front right of the titanite demon at all times, have your shield up and take hits inbetween his attacks.

That way there's only his jumping attack which can really hit you

I try, but it seems like his health is neverending. And then I run out of stamina and he goes through my shield.

I've tried to kite/cheese him from the doorway with just great soul arrows, but even 20 of those only take down his health to half, and that's with the oolacile wand.

burnfout

Picked up my NG+ game again, I stopped after finishing Capra Demon last time.

Today I did the Depths including Gaping Dragon, BlightTown with Qualaag, made my way up the valley of the Drakes, and to top it off, beat the Titanite Demon near the Blacksmith.

Game has its hooks in me again.

Chitown B

I bought the Master Key a couple days ago. I hope it doesn't break anything for me. I have the Lord Vessel so I assume everything from here on out is available to go do already anyway. It'll help on NG+ if I do that.

What is reset on NG+?

Could be Iron Flesh.

Elemental weapons are pretty week against DLC bosses, it should just take a bit longer. If you can learn all his moves you shouldn't have much issue.

I've actually done enough experimentation to find that the Scythe, non-elemental, does the most damage against him (does about 15 more than lightning, and he's resistant to fire, sooo), it's just he always ends up doing something that I can't dodge out of the way of. His swooping fly over is especially lethal when I'm right on his nuts.

EDIT:
I bought the Master Key a couple days ago. I hope it doesn't break anything for me. I have the Lord Vessel so I assume everything from here on out is available to go do already anyway. It'll help on NG+ if I do that.

What is reset on NG+?

If you're able to buy it, basically nothing. Buying it is more for NG+.

NG+ will reset the environment, fog gates, bosses, your keys, and will remove Ring of Artorias and Orange Charred Ring. Pretty sure everything else goes back to normal. Bonfires stay at whatever you kindled them to, including 20, for example.

EDIT EDIT: Oh yeah and embers. But no, you'll get the Master Key.

Arjen

What is reset on NG+?

Keys and Embers. Not sure if the master key you bought will reset though.

Chitown B

weird about orange charred ring, but I guess it's because it's from a boss. I understand the other ring being gone.

so if you want to upgrade weapons you might as well do it before NG+ otherwise you'll have to go get those embers again.

I'm unsure what to do with my bastard sword? It's at +5 and I've got my claymore +9 on the normal upgrade path.

Just use your claymore? The claymore and bastard sword are similar enough that unless you just really don't mind grinding I don't see a reason to have both equally upgraded.
Says the guy who runs around with 3 bows in hand

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So I started a third build, one based on Rapier/Sorcery, just to mix things up between my STR and DEX builds.

I have to say, I've never tried it before but Sorcery is RIDICULOUSLY overpowered. I never knew! It makes a lot of confrontations pretty trivial (much like getting the BKH early on).

The rapiers are a lot of fun, though. I like how they've replace the kick with a striking back step; it gives it that fencing feel. They are a bit of a pain in the arse unless you are getting ripostes/back stabs, though. Before upgrading it's taking a ton of hits to kill even the most basic hollows. I started on the Bridge Wyvern but gave up after a while. It's like trying to take down a gorilla with a sowing needle, albeit with more fire involved.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Woo, it's done! I finally beat this game roughly two years after I bought it.

In the end I resorted to sprinting through the Tom of Giants and summoning two additional players to the fight with Gwyn. I'm happy the run strategy still works just as well as it did in Demon's Souls and I don't feel bad about getting help from other players at all. It was the first time I ever summoned someone in Dark Souls, so I probably got an angry message from one of them after I failed to down some Estus to heal him. In my defense, I don't remember ever being told that summoned players are healed by the host or that you can't heal yourself when you are in another game.

Anyway, along with Demons, this has to be one of my favourite games that were released in recent years. While it's far from perfect, the level design is really on another level. The combat is immensely satisfying and I really enjoy the way they handle the story in these games. (Though, a little more exposition after the final boss couldn't have hurt!)

Now I'm really looking forward to Dark Souls 2!

Top Bottom