• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Dyno

So a pure sorceror just cannot get through the Anor Londo archers. LOL!

I've never had much trouble with the archers, but I've always played a character with a decent weapon to get that first guy off. I can't cast any kind of Soul Arrow without getting jacked though. Couldn't roll by him, couldn't use my Bandit Knife enough times.

I gave up after about six tries. Tonight I'll give it a final go as a human. Maybe I'll get lucky and summon some help before the black phantoms get me!

Arjen

I've never had much trouble with the archers, but I've always played a character with a decent weapon to get that first guy off. I can't cast any kind of Soul Arrow without getting jacked though. Couldn't roll by him, couldn't use my Bandit Knife enough times.

I gave up after about six tries. Tonight I'll give it a final go as a human. Maybe I'll get lucky and summon some help before the black phantoms get me!

Hidden body is your friend.

Chitown B

hidden body / poison arrow.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Your screen name is eerily perfect for your chosen class :)

Kick him off the edge.

Nerokis

Finally started the DLC.

Sanctuary Guardian is a pretty impressive boss (I love his sweeping movements), and
Artorias
has been at least equally impressive to watch so far. I've only tried the latter a couple times, and he certainly seems pretty tough. (Keep in mind I missed the DLC during NG, so I'm doing this NG+.)
Sif is probably my favorite boss in the game, and it's almost surreal how totally different Artorias' vibe is.
Nothing about him is what I expected.

Oolacile itself is really unique, as well. Looking forward to seeing more.

E92 M3

Podcasts are dull though, I already have fun stuff to do on the internet...

They're great for grinding, sleeping, and long travels!

Better yet, read some awesome Greenspeak columns from CGW. Now I really feel old.

Yes, I'm an old fart in my mid twenties :( Still feels like yesterday, though.

I swear Jeff Green is on some podcast I listen to. Idle Thumbs?

He sometimes makes guest appearances. Though, I don't listen to Idle Thumbs so not sure.

Side-note: I named my character in Fire Emblem Artorias. Felt it was very appropriate.

spliced

Hidden Body is very useful against the NL archers.

I was fooling around near the bridge dragon and pulled the black knight on to the bridge and he went down instantly. The dragon is a total nightmare for everyone. He doesn't care be it player, enemy or invader he will kill ya. It's the only enemy I know of that hurts invaders. I know enemies can hurt npc characters and I know Seath can hurt the clams. It's funny how they put these few instances where enemies can hurt other enemies or invaders.

Chitown B

Hidden Body is very useful against the NL archers.

I was fooling around near the bridge dragon and pulled the black knight on to the bridge and he went down instantly. The dragon is a total nightmare for everyone. He doesn't care be it player, enemy or invader he will kill ya. It's the only enemy I know of that hurts invaders. I know enemies can hurt npc characters and I know Seath can hurt the clams. It's funny how they put these few instances where enemies can hurt other enemies or invaders.

Hydra hurts the crystal golems

Syroc

Tarsier Studios

You could always try luring the guy on the right onto the steep walkway. He either falls of or you can walk passed him.

I did.

DONT try to souls arrow those guys, kill the gargoyles first, then guard yourself on the pillar before reaching the archers, here is the awesome part,wait till the archers recharge their bows, cast Soulmass and run to their level, go for the one on the right and pray you dont get hit then cast Soulmass again.

You have to kill him faster or push him to fall to his death if not the other archer will hurt you bad.

Mistel

Banned
So how do you get near those knight archer guys? I get to the ledge and some arrows later I'm dead. I've got only melee weapons and no magic.

I'll upgrade it to divine if I get to it chitown.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So how do you get near those knight archer guys? I get to the ledge and some arrows later I'm dead. I've got only melee weapons and no magic.

I'll upgrade it to divine if I get to it chitown.

Run up. Run right. Block. Boot him off the edge. When you're on the right, the left guy can't really get you.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Could be Iron Flesh

He didn't look Iron Flesh-y and damn sure didn't move like it.

I think I'm just not getting the intricacies of PvP. I've run through the game with half a dozen different builds and for each one I'd say 8 out of 10 invasions resulted in me getting one-shotted after dealing pitiful damage with a +15 weapon/maxed elemental weapon. It seems like I'm always facing opponents who are impeccably specced to destroy me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Parry him, or try Homing Soulmass?

He didn't look Iron Flesh-y and damn sure didn't move like it.

I think I'm just not getting the intricacies of PvP. I've run through the game with half a dozen different builds and for each one I'd say 8 out of 10 invasions resulted in me getting one-shotted after dealing pitiful damage with a +15 weapon/maxed elemental weapon. It seems like I'm always facing opponents who are impeccably specced to destroy me.
Hackers, dude, I told you. Sounds like you got unlucky.

So I wasn't sure where else to put this and this could be old, but I was looking up the different class choices for Dark Souls 2 and I ran across this on reddit via the PS Blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...-north-america/comment-page-2/#comment-952431

In the comments section from a PR Manager at Atlus:

"PS Blog Exclusive: can 100% confirm there will NOT be a Demon Souls 2. :("

I thought I read rumors that said it was in the works so sad news if true

7 Ways to defeat the Anor Londo archers

Notice in #4 the just blocking method, the player is dropping his shield between each hit or combo from the silver knight. This is great stamina management, your stamina regens very slow with shield up. No stamina = guard break and stun = death. Very good basic thing to learn. Same goes for using the invincibility frames of the roll to go through arrows.

Mistel

Banned
Where are you getting caught out exactly?
I get right near him I either get arrowed or stabbed. Kicking is not really working.

You could try aggro'ing him but then falling back onto the ledge. I've gotten him to fall off more than a few times as he tried to take a swing at me.
I'll try it's not like I'm loosing anything.

Wait till they recharge and charge at the right guy, sometimes target him lets you move out the wall and die and you have to be fast.
Recharge? Is that the thing that happens as they redraw their bows? I've tried that it just switched to a sword when I got closer and killed me.

Soriku

So I wasn't sure where else to put this and this could be old, but I was looking up the different class choices for Dark Souls 2 and I ran across this on reddit via the PS Blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...-north-america/comment-page-2/#comment-952431

In the comments section from a PR Manager at Atlus:

"PS Blog Exclusive: can 100% confirm there will NOT be a Demon Souls 2. :("

I thought I read rumors that said it was in the works so sad news if true

It'd be up to Sony since they own the DeS IP. Plus there's no guarantee the rumored game is literally DeS2; could just be something similar.

Chitown B

why would they make a Demon's Souls 2? Dark Souls is basically Demon's Souls 2 already. It's the same concept, evolved and expanded. That would be going backwards.

NinjaBoiX

Dukes Archives is a great environment, I'm really enjoying mooching about the place. And the soothing sound that horn makes makes for a lovely soundtrack!

It's all go after hitting a big O&S shaped wall, I'm having fun again guys.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I get right near him I either get arrowed or stabbed. Kicking is not really working.

I'll try it's not like I'm loosing anything.

Recharge? Is that the thing that happens as they redraw their bows? I've tried that it just switched to a sword when I got closer and killed me.

You can also try getting right in his face and when he breaks his guard to take a swing at you blast him with Great Combustion. If you've upgraded your pyro glove enough it should only take one or two blasts to kill him and if not it still staggers him a lot.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Are you getting shot in the back? There are towers that should block the left guy. You want a good shield for the right guy. Try and mooch betwixt right guy and the wall. When he strikes at your good shield it should make him back away a bit. Then you stab/kick/spit on him and he should fall.

Randam

picked up on my sl1 run today after beating demon's yesterday again.

had seath and 4 kings down.
bed of chaos, nito, dlc and gwyn left.

man, bed of chaos sucks even more at sl1.
if the hands didn't 1 shot me, I died under it in the fire storm.
used flesh sweat in the end.

nito went down with the first try.
used my fully upgraded pyro glove and great combustion and fire surge.

now it is artorias' turn.

Mistel

Banned
I did it :D, I just used the bash thingy on a heavy shield and whacked it whilst my grass crest shield was on my back. I so hope I'm near a bonfire I'd rather not tempt fate and have to do it again.

burnfout

Picked up my NG+ game again, I stopped after finishing Capra Demon last time.

Today I did the Depths including Gaping Dragon, BlightTown with Qualaag, made my way up the valley of the Drakes, and to top it off, beat the Titanite Demon near the Blacksmith.

Game has its hooks in me again.

Self quote: put in another few hours, leveled strenght upto 50, now I can use the Havel Shield, so fucking awesome, beat Hydra, Moonlight Butterfly and Sif.

I am going strong.

Currenly leveling luck and int. I want to use my greatsword of Astorias :)

My stats for now:
DSC_0112.JPG

Nerokis

Wow. So yeah,
Artorias
is quite the badass. He's quickly becoming my favorite boss. He tested the limits of my +9 Wanderer Set to the point that I decided to throw on the Wolf Ring, and that extra 40 poise makes an incredible difference. I was on the verge of finally testing out a heavier set (the Paladin), but it just didn't feel right on my character.

I've put in around 6 attempts already, and the lowest I've taken him is ~25%. Some of the ways he's killed me have just been brutal.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Self quote: put in another few hours, leveled strenght upto 50, now I can use the Havel Shield, so fucking awesome, beat Hydra, Moonlight Butterfly and Sif.

I am going strong.

Currenly leveling luck and int. I want to use my greatsword of Astorias :)
Luck? You mean faith?
I don't know if you're aware, but that sword is garbage. If you have 50 str already, you're better off using any +15 weapon that scales with strength and you'll hit harder. If you want to level up faith or int, pick one of the two and cast a buff (such as Crystal Magic Weapon for int, or Sunlight Blade for faith) and you'll deal devastating damage, way more than the crappy Artorias sword.

Luck? You mean faith?
I don't know if you're aware, but that sword is garbage. If you have 50 str already, you're better off using any +15 weapon that scales with strength and you'll hit harder. If you want to level up faith or int, pick one of the two and cast a buff (such as Crystal Magic Weapon for int, or Sunlight Blade for faith) and you'll deal devastating damage, way more than the crappy Artorias sword.

I have to disagree. While it doesn't have the best stats, the sword itself has an incredibly useful and bizarrely fun to use move set. If you've already put this much time and energy into leveling to get to it, go all the way. You probably won't be winning any pvp encounters with it, but its a perfectly good weapon for fighting anything else with.

Seance

Banned
The only thing in the game i can think of that is not actually possible to dodge in certain situations is 4k magic balls of bollocks. Everything else is fair.

burnfout

Yeah, I meant faith.

And I just want to use something else besides the Black Knight Sword + 5 I've been using for thirty hours now.

If you have 50 str already, you're better off using any +15 weapon that scales with strength and you'll hit harder. If you want to level up faith or int, pick one of the two and cast a buff (such as Crystal Magic Weapon for int, or Sunlight Blade for faith) and you'll deal devastating damage, way more than the crappy Artorias sword.

What weapon would you recommend for my build?

Booshka

Why would you when large club and DGA are better?

Large club is only better if you use the 1 handed R2 attack a lot, otherwise, Great Club has a about 30 more AR in damage than it. Demon Great Axe has stupidly high damage, but the weight and moveset isn't worth the extra points in damage, not enough range for that large and slow of a weapon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Large club is poisonous too, isn't it? And it's lighter. I prefer it slightly over the Great club, personally, but you have to farm for it, which can be annoying, whereas the Great club is simple loot.

Top Bottom