• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Large club is only better if you use the 1 handed R2 attack a lot, otherwise, Great Club has a about 30 more AR in damage than it. Demon Great Axe has stupidly high damage, but the weight and moveset isn't worth the extra points in damage, not enough range for that large and slow of a weapon.

Great Club is a god-tier strength weapon. Probably my favorite in that category, moveset-wise, and it just looks badass to boot. Like you just picked up the closest thing at hand to beat the shit out of someone but just kept rolling with it.

Seance

Banned
Large club is only better if you use the 1 handed R2 attack a lot, otherwise, Great Club has a about 30 more AR in damage than it. Demon Great Axe has stupidly high damage, but the weight and moveset isn't worth the extra points in damage, not enough range for that large and slow of a weapon.

DGA moveset is AMAZING. One of the best in the game. The weight is high boohoo but damn you cannot be for real.

Mistel

Banned
I've made it to the hall with the boss fog gate, I'm going to get some more souls. So I can level endurance and get giant's armor.

I had a go at lautrec but he killed me easily...

Seance

Banned
I've made it to the hall with the boss fog gate, I'm going to get some more souls. So I can level endurance and get giant's armor.

The way you post makes it seem like you have read up on everything that will happen but this is still tour first playthrough. Just sayin.

M.D

Shoot an arrow at one of them and then run up the staitrs
You want to separate them so you can kill the sorcercer when the other 2 are not around

Once he's down just get Lautrec and the melee guy infront of you, let Lautrec come at you and you back away when he attacks and you'll have a good opening for a strong attack, repeat till he's dead.. when you kill him its over

Booshka

DGA moveset is AMAZING. One of the best in the game. The weight is high boohoo but damn you cannot be for real.

I guess it is more of a range issue because the moveset does look cool but it is extremely punishable and hard to win with in PvP against most good players.

1 handed R2's flicking players into the sky is awesome and all, but good luck actually landing that consistently against the vast majority of players. 2 handed R2 looks cool, but you are better off doing a jump attack for gap closing.

Best thing about Demon weapons is that they are viable crystal weapons because of their high durability. But I prefer to use the Demon Great Machete rather than the DGA for the most part.

Mistel

Banned
The way you post makes it seem like you have read up on everything that will happen but this is still tour first playthrough. Just sayin.
Why do you say that, I could give blow by blow detail if that's what you would like?
What level you at? I'm in Anor Londo harvesting souls myself.
I just hit soul level 52, I found the black smith and he had some twinkling titanite, so I upgraded some black iron armor. I'm wearing a mix of that and havel's which I found when I got lost.

Shoot an arrow at one of them and then run up the staitrs
You want to separate them so you can kill the sorcercer when the other 2 are not around

Once he's down just get Lautrec and the melee guy infront of you, let Lautrec come at you and you back away when he attacks and you'll have a good opening for a strong attack, repeat till he's dead.. when you kill him its over
I just found a huge bow so I'll try that then thanks :D.

Ferr986

Today I started my (probably) last build before DS2 releases :D a pure STR one.

Seems like the last sale on Xbox live gave a little more of life on the game. Hearing a lot of bells on the parish being rang.

Booshka

Today I started my (probably) last build before DS2 releases :D a pure STR one.

Seems like the last sale on Xbox live gave a little more of life on the game. Hearing a lot of bells on the parish being rang.

I suggest min/maxing for a lower level build. Just take your STR to 27 where the 2 handing scaling gains start to fall off hard. Then put some points in Vit and Endurance. You can make really good Pure STR builds at SL 40-60 so you can see a lot more action online with summons and/or invasions.

STR/Pyro is also decent because you can keep your SL down pretty well and Pyromancer starting stats suit those builds.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
down at the bonfire next to the damn poison swamp after a few misadventures, including a couple of inopportune falls and an ACTUAL invasion where I lost, but at least it was close. saw a suspicious looking treasure chest inside a big round room, but it actually just had a dragon scale in it and wasn't a trap so... that's nice I guess.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Also do you guys recommend running around as human and/or with decent humanity as much as possible? Or just when I need to in order to kindle a bonfire or something?

I get right near him I either get arrowed or stabbed. Kicking is not really working.

I'll try it's not like I'm loosing anything.

Recharge? Is that the thing that happens as they redraw their bows? I've tried that it just switched to a sword when I got closer and killed me.

when you're on the same ledge as the archers just roll towards the building at an angle do that you dodge the arrows but still move forwards. took me only 2 rolls to get to him.

just got to the bonfire too :D

edit: didn't notice you made it already lol

Also do you guys recommend running around as human and/or with decent humanity as much as possible? Or just when I need to in order to kindle a bonfire or something?
The only reason to be human is to participate in multiplayer. Your Humanity number has nothing to do with that. "Soft" Humanity buffs your defenses, so more is good.

I recommend having at least 10 humanity (for the max item discovery - atm), but whether you're human or not is dependent on whether you want to be invaded or not. If not, I would at least go human for the NPC invaders who are all easy to kill and drop unique loot. You wouldn't really know when they were going to invade without looking it up though.

down at the bonfire next to the damn poison swamp after a few misadventures, including a couple of inopportune falls and an ACTUAL invasion where I lost, but at least it was close. saw a suspicious looking treasure chest inside a big round room, but it actually just had a dragon scale in it and wasn't a trap so... that's nice I guess.
By the way, was the ACTUAL invasion Maneater Mildred?

Mistel

Banned
when you're on the same ledge as the archers just roll towards the building at an angle do that you dodge the arrows but still move forwards. took me only 2 rolls to get to him.

just got to the bonfire too :D

edit: didn't notice you made it already lol
If you're about at the bonfire it's not to hard within till you get to the huge room with the fog gate. Those giant things just completely cream me, I can't seem to deal with them I get double teamed within the hall area.

That dragon slayer bow is great I wonder how many arrows the dragon on the bridge takes or a titanite monster to kill them?

If you're about at the bonfire it's not to hard within till you get to the huge room with the fog gate. Those giant things just completely cream me, I can't seem to deal with them I get double teamed within the hall area.

That dragon slayer bow is great I wonder how many arrows the dragon on the bridge takes or a titanite monster to kill them?

lol those giants are easy. 2-3 hits with my crystal halberd and they're gone

im currently trying to get the furysword

need to go back all the way to undead parish because andre is the only smith able to go past +5 for my falchion

Nerokis

God,
Artorias
was a great boss. I can't tell if he began to slow down Sif-style near the end, or if I was simply so into it that a to-Roger-Federer-tennis-balls-look-like-bowling-balls thing was going on. By comparison, I felt like I was on the verge of killing Manus in a single attempt, and I'd be surprised if I didn't get him down this time around.

One question, though: is it possible to cut off his tail?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Lead the Sentinels to the stairs. Double handed plunging attack. That'll help a bit.

Fighting the Sentinels takes much too long. You have to just trick them for a second into thinking you're going into the middle of the hall, then run around the pillar the other way, though sometimes you still have to roll over a sweeping attack. But as long as you only aggro one you should be fine. You might also want to quit/ load, because it will stand by the fog door during the Oreos and S'mores fight and try to hit you through it.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
The sentinels are easy to just run past.

Just make sure you make a trip to the other end of the funbros room so they return to their starting positions.

Fighting the Sentinels takes much too long. You have to just trick them for a second into thinking you're going into the middle of the hall, then run around the pillar the other way, though sometimes you still have to roll over a sweeping attack. But as long as you only aggro one you should be fine. You might also want to quit/ load, because it will stand by the fog door during the Oreos and S'mores fight and try to hit you through it.

iCLIBk8dnHJ8L.gif

------------------------------

here's some pics for you guys :D

Finished the game for the first time last night. 105 hours, SL115. Took me three tries to beat Gwyn.

Already making my way to Darkroot on NG+.

cebri.one

So i've been watching Jeff Green playing this game, but i'm not totally convinced. plz GAF sell me on this game. Why everybody is talking about it?

So i've been watching Jeff Green playing this game, but i'm not totally convinced. plz GAF sell me on this game. Why everybody is talking about it?

Everything you do matters. There's no regenerating health, so every bit of damage you take either puts you closer to death, or requires you to heal yourself with non-abundant healing methods (which you can only do a finite number of times). Every attack you perform must be committed to as you can't cancel out any moves until they're finished; if you attack at the wrong time, you can get hit which puts you closer to death because there's no regenerating health. Because the hitboxes are exactly where weapon/character models are, during battle, positioning, stance and the frame your character is in during a given movement all determine whether you'll get hit, which contributes to you getting closer to death. Enemy positions are always the same, so every bit of progress you make teaches you what to expect on subsequent run-throughs. Every step must be earned, yet every step gives you something.

The reason all of this is so popular is due, in part, to many mainstream games being designed to make moment-to-moment gameplay meaningless, in that combat/traversal/exploration/decisions are all void of recorded failure. If you get hit, you'll regenerate that health in a few seconds. If you slip and fall, you go back to the last checkpoint without losing anything. If you avoid exploration, you're only missing genuinely skippable stuff, if you can even truly pass something up at all. If you attack a friendly, the hit doesn't even register, and so forth. The Souls games aren't like that at all.

Does the Taurus Demon always fall off the ramparts, or did I just get lucky? That was maybe my 7th try against it and after I got it to around 60% health it backed up and fell off the wall. It was the only way I could defeat it.

Does the Taurus Demon always fall off the ramparts, or did I just get lucky? That was maybe my 7th try against it and after I got it to around 60% health it backed up and fell off the wall. It was the only way I could defeat it.

That happened to my friend while I was watching him.
I was mad.

No, it doesn't happen often. I can happen for sure, but it's definitely not how you beat him.

theytookourjobz

Finally beat the Stray Demon and now I'm beating my head against the Anor Londo bosses :(

I'd love to finish before DS2 but I'm not sure I'm gonna be able.

• Am I supposed to be able to figure out how to use the black eye thing? I want to avenge the fire keeper. does it only work in Firelink Shrine?
  • There's a spiral staircase behind a wall of fog/white light in New Londo Ruins. Is the fall into the darkness deadly? Is that the only way forward? You can't turn around after going through the fog and the colored stones you can drop make the "deadly/painful fall" noise.

were you just fighting it head on? there's a better way to fight it, if that's the case.
remember the asylum demon fight...

mannerbot

• Am I supposed to be able to figure out how to use the black eye thing? I want to avenge the fire keeper. does it only work in Firelink Shrine?
  • There's a spiral staircase behind a wall of fog/white light in New Londo Ruins. Is the fall into the darkness deadly? Is that the only way forward? You can't turn around after going through the fog and the colored stones you can drop make the "deadly/painful fall" noise.

were you just fighting it head on? there's a better way to fight it, if that's the case.
remember the asylum demon fight...

You haven't been able to use the cracked black eye orb yet. There will be a very obvious message similar to the stuff for summoning/invading when you walk into an area where you can use it. And for your second question, do you remember what the NPC in New Londo (Ingward) said?

You haven't been able to use the cracked black eye orb yet. There will be a very obvious message similar to the stuff for summoning/invading when you walk into an area where you can use it.

Oh, okay. Thanks.

And for your second question, do you remember what the NPC in New Londo (Ingward) said?

:I

"Why... why would you do this?"

... I killed him. I didn't notice him after getting on the roof, ran up to where he was and panicked when he turned around, swinging wildly. I hit him and he went aggro. I died going back down the ladder, came back and he was still mad... I wondered whether putting away my weapons would calm him down, but I didn't want to die again, so I just killed him. it's haunted me ever since.

i got his key though

mannerbot

Oh, okay. Thanks.

:I

"Why... why would you do this?"

... I killed him. I didn't notice him after getting on the roof, ran up to where he was and panicked when he turned around, swinging wildly. I hit him and he went aggro. I died going back down the ladder, came back and he was still mad... I wondered whether putting away my weapons would calm him down, but I didn't want to die again, so I just killed him. it's haunted me ever since.

i got his key though

Oh, lol. Well, he tells you that
if you're seeking the 4 Kings, they slumber in the deepest chamber of the New Londo Ruins. The Abyss is no place for mortals, however, and so you should seek out Knight Artorias to learn how to traverse it.

This is all assuming that you don't want someone to tell you outright what to do, but I figure that you'd just look it up if that was the case.

Oh, lol. Well, he tells you that
if you're seeking the 4 Kings, they slumber in the deepest chamber of the New Londo Ruins. The Abyss is no place for mortals, however, and so you should seek out Knight Artorias to learn how to traverse it.

This is all assuming that you don't want someone to tell you outright what to do, but I figure that you'd just look it up if that was the case.
okay, thanks. thanks for spoiler tagging it. though I probably deserved to die there as punishment for my earlier indiscretion.

Ferr986

I suggest min/maxing for a lower level build. Just take your STR to 27 where the 2 handing scaling gains start to fall off hard. Then put some points in Vit and Endurance. You can make really good Pure STR builds at SL 40-60 so you can see a lot more action online with summons and/or invasions.

STR/Pyro is also decent because you can keep your SL down pretty well and Pyromancer starting stats suit those builds.

Thanks! Seems like a good plan.

Mistel

Banned
here's some pics for you guys :D
Full havel armor is too heavy for my knight she got incredibly slow in it, I'm using a mix of that and black iron whilst increasing endurance so my weight limit can increase.

I'll try that sentinel stuff, my plan of just running at the door had limited success all of them were chasing me at one point.

xenist

I'm done with this game. At least for a while until some enthusiasm builds up again. And I can thank Blightown for that. It's boring visually. It's built in such a way, with narrow pathways and shit everywhere, that the camera angles are almost always wrong. The enemies are boring and annoying at the same time. It's not that I'm dying disproportionately to the other areas, because I'm not. I'm just bored with it.

Later guys.

I'm done with this game. At least for a while until some enthusiasm builds up again. And I can thank Blightown for that. It's boring visually. It's built in such a way, with narrow pathways and shit everywhere, that the camera angles are almost always wrong. The enemies are boring and annoying at the same time. It's not that I'm dying disproportionately to the other areas, because I'm not. I'm just bored with it.

Later guys.

Try not to crack and go hollow.

Arjen

Later guys.

Just rush trough it then, Blightown can be done pretty quik.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Later guys.

....or you could skip it.

Ferr986

Later guys.

If you want to give it a last try and you have the master key you can skip almost all of the zone,
you can go through the shortcut in Valley of Drakes (going through New Londo Ruins). Its a really short walk till the boss, and theres barely any enemies on the way down.You have to keep descending till the swamp. When you're there, theres a bonfire on your left, and the boss is on your right.

Top Bottom