• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
I'm done with this game. At least for a while until some enthusiasm builds up again. And I can thank Blightown for that. It's boring visually. It's built in such a way, with narrow pathways and shit everywhere, that the camera angles are almost always wrong. The enemies are boring and annoying at the same time. It's not that I'm dying disproportionately to the other areas, because I'm not. I'm just bored with it.

Later guys.
Take the shortcut way it's far quicker, blight town was the same for me, I just skipped it I might go back at some point if there's anything worth doing. I need to kill Ornstein and Smough first before I go exploring...

got to the first bonfire in Tomb of Giants. killed a couple dudes and a lady gave me a spell.
Did you meet Patches? If so, speak to him again he'll give you a small token if you don't accept his first apology. (He also does this in the Catacombs if you saw him there first).

You'll meet Rhea again if you think about who and what she is, it's not quite as simple as most the other NPCs who trot back to Firelink once you rescue them, but certainly worth finding her again.

I'm done with this game. At least for a while until some enthusiasm builds up again. And I can thank Blightown for that. It's boring visually. It's built in such a way, with narrow pathways and shit everywhere, that the camera angles are almost always wrong. The enemies are boring and annoying at the same time. It's not that I'm dying disproportionately to the other areas, because I'm not. I'm just bored with it.

Later guys.
Sounds like you didn't even get to the halfway point in the area. It's pretty big and the shanty town part is only the first part which is kind of quick to blast through once you know where the exit is, the other part is pretty much easy sailing. We all hit walls on our first playthrough, I always say look at your equipment and what changes could make things easier - could be as simple as changing to a more appropriate shield, or using arrows or magic to draw enemies one at a time etc. Go on, give it another go! ;)

cebri.one

Everything you do matters. There's no regenerating health, so every bit of damage you take either puts you closer to death, or requires you to heal yourself with non-abundant healing methods (which you can only do a finite number of times). Every attack you perform must be committed to as you can't cancel out any moves until they're finished; if you attack at the wrong time, you can get hit which puts you closer to death because there's no regenerating health. Because the hitboxes are exactly where weapon/character models are, during battle, positioning, stance and the frame your character is in during a given movement all determine whether you'll get hit, which contributes to you getting closer to death. Enemy positions are always the same, so every bit of progress you make teaches you what to expect on subsequent run-throughs. Every step must be earned, yet every step gives you something.

The reason all of this is so popular is due, in part, to many mainstream games being designed to make moment-to-moment gameplay meaningless, in that combat/traversal/exploration/decisions are all void of recorded failure. If you get hit, you'll regenerate that health in a few seconds. If you slip and fall, you go back to the last checkpoint without losing anything. If you avoid exploration, you're only missing genuinely skippable stuff, if you can even truly pass something up at all. If you attack a friendly, the hit doesn't even register, and so forth. The Souls games aren't like that at all.

Ok, that is something that i've been looking for a long time, tired of easy games. I just bought the game. Thank you.

kionedrik

Does anyone have any advice for a Warrior of Sunlight wannabe?

I joined the covenant and managed to be summoned to engage in jolly co-op a couple of times in the burg (I was SL20), but after that my summon sign seems to pass unnoticed. I dropped it for Capra Demon and Gaping Dragon but was never summoned.

Right now I'm SL37 heading towards Blightown and the 2nd bell. Am I (already) overleved or are those bosses just bad for co-op? Should I keep trying my chances with Queelag or just forget about it till I reach O&S?

xenist

Guys, my post wasn't some cry for help. I didn't say "please convince me not to stop." I'm a grown-ass man. I know what I want.

Does anyone have any advice for a Warrior of Sunlight wannabe?

I joined the covenant and managed to be summoned to engage in jolly co-op a couple of times in the burg (I was SL20), but after that my summon sign seems to pass unnoticed. I dropped it for Capra Demon and Gaping Dragon but was never summoned.

Right now I'm SL37 heading towards Blightown and the 2nd bell. Am I (already) overleved or are those bosses just bad for co-op? Should I keep trying my chances with Queelag or just forget about it till I reach O&S?
SL37 is a little overleveled for Depths/Blighttown, but not by very much I've been regularly summoned everywhere up to Sen's up to about SL30, including the Parish.

Sen's is your best bet at that level though. Slap it down in the first room for runs through the whole level, or at the boss fog door room for quick/easy souls.

Chitown B

Did you meet Patches? If so, speak to him again he'll give you a small token if you don't accept his first apology. (He also does this in the Catacombs if you saw him there first).

You'll meet Rhea again if you think about who and what she is, it's not quite as simple as most the other NPCs who trot back to Firelink once you rescue them, but certainly worth finding her again.

yeah I met patches, which is how I got down there in the first place.....

I then died, and met him again and accepted his apology. Was that not the right thing to do?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ok, that is something that i've been looking for a long time, tired of easy games. I just bought the game. Thank you.

A little advice from another soul who just recently discovered this game for the first time:

I initially bought it at a Steam sale simply because everyone always raved about it and I wanted to see what the fuss was. So I played it, and it seemed cool, until I got to a certain point and it just seemed impossible to progress (for me this wall of difficulty was the Taurus Demon). I mean the game was hard but this blockage was beyond me. I got frustrated, I'd play for an hour and then quit in disgust. This went on for awhile, until I started experimenting with the game. I startd trying different weapons and armor, I practiced dodging, found out how to back stab, figured out what all the stats mean. Then I found out that weight affects everything in the game, especially rolling. Once I learned how to manage my stamina bar during a fight, well at about that point the game suddenly "clicked" for me. There was this moment of reason, an epiphany, where the game suddenly seemed to open up to me and make sense.

Suddenly I was slaughtering enemies and enjoying myself. I began to see openings in the Taurus Demon fight that I could exploit, I began to get closer to defeating him, and then I had a fight with him where I just decisively kicked his demon ass.

My point is don't get discouraged at first, stick with it even if it seems too hard, because the game has a learning curve that is SOO INCREDIBLY rewarding. It's like one of the best games I have every played, but it took me awhile to just realize the awesomeness of it all.

yeah I met patches, which is how I got down there in the first place.....

I then died, and met him again and accepted his apology. Was that not the right thing to do?
No biggie, he just gives you a humanity if you say no (or twin humanity - one or the other in each Catacombs and TotG).

Nerokis

Can someone explain the value of the Hornet Ring to me?

You do significantly more damage with backstabs and ripostes. If that's a big part of your damage output, it's certainly worth wearing.

Edit: I knew clumsily typing up a post on my phone would result in me being late! :p

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You do significantly more damage with backstabs and ripostes. If that's a big part of your damage output, it's certainly worth wearing.

Edit: I knew clumsily typing up a post on my phone would result in me being late! :p

Divius said plunging attacks too... Does interrupting an enemy's attack animation get boosted damage too?

Does it effect counter attacks too...?
No, but counter attacks probably aren't what you are thinking they are. If you parry an attack the follow up attack where you stab them in the gut is a riposte. A counter is where someone goes to attack you, and you just hit them first.
BTW enemies can do counter damage too.

Ricky 7

Whenever I set up that white summoning seal nobody ever joins my game, I'm guessing that not many people play this game online any more? =(

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
No, but counter attacks probably aren't what you are thinking they are. If you parry an attack the follow up attack where you stab them in the gut is a riposte. A counter is where someone goes to attack you, and you just hit them first.
BTW enemies can do counter damage too.

The latter was what I was asking about. Thanks for clearing it up, squire.

Whenever I set up that white summoning seal nobody ever joins my game, I'm guessing that not many people play this game online any more? =(

System, SL and location? I'm always game.

Mistel

Banned
I think that means that they summon you? I summon people most of the time it's nice to have someone help you with stuff, The people I summoned to do quelaag, pretty much allowed me to kill her first try.

SL5 has made it painfully obvious to me that attacking is not the only thing that can trigger counter damage on you. Jumping and using items also triggers it, so keep this in mind when fighting bosses.
Kalameet did lots of one-shots on me that should have been two shots because of this. That and getting clipped onto his head when dodging, thus causing me to get hit twice when I should have gotten off unharmed, was a large part of what made it take so long against him.

Divius

The summoning system is kinda messed up, but it also largely depends on the location you place it and what level you are.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think that means that they summon you? I summon people most of the time it's nice to have someone help you with stuff, The people I summoned to do quelaag, pretty much allowed me to kill her first try.

Gimmie a shout when you're on next time. I'm always up for Jolly Co-op!

SL5 has made it painfully obvious to me that attacking is not the only thing that can trigger counter damage on you. Jumping and using items also triggers it, so keep this in mind when fighting bosses.
Kalameet did lots of one-shots on me that should have been two shots because of this. That and getting clipped onto his head when dodging, thus causing me to get hit twice when I should have gotten off unharmed, was a large part of what made it take so long against him.

Ah, I didn't know that. Nice one.

I managed to solo Kalameet. One of my prouder gaming achievements. Utter bastard though, I must of retried like 30 times.

Ricky 7

System, SL and location? I'm always game.

I'm on the 360 and just killed the Gaping Dragon and opened the Blighttown door.

Oh okay, I'm still new to the game. I guess to summon other people I have to see their summoning signs?

FYI, if you are looking to increase counter damage, the Leo Ring boosts it by 40%.

Only from thrusting weapons/attacks. This counts bows, but from using it it's difficult to use it for that and not get killed in the process, unless you're baller and using a Greatbow.
Claymore can use it with some good timing though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Only from thrusting weapons/attacks. This counts bows, but from using it it's difficult to use it for that and not get killed in the process, unless you're baller and using a Greatbow.
Claymore can use it with some good timing though.

So I could combine the Leo and Hornet Rings for my Rapier/Sorcery builds? Hmmmm...

I'm on the 360 and just killed the Gaping Dragon and opened the Blighttown door.

Oh okay, I'm still new to the game. I guess to summon other people I have to see their summoning signs?

Yeah, that's right. Add me if you want, my GT is in my profile.

I've got a level 8 I'm working on at the moment. I can speed through to Blighttown tonight, I reckon. What level are you?

Mistel

Banned
I'm on 360 too I'm grinding in anor londo for souls for my giants armor torso so I can upgrade it to the max.
Gimmie a shout when you're on next time. I'm always up for Jolly Co-op!
tumblr_mfeagnu5ZJ1rmxkvjo1_500.png

Yeah I'll ask I'm still in anor londo not done Ornstein and Smough yet, I'm grinding so I can buy twinkling titanite and upgrade some armor. My havel's head and torso with black iron other stuff is going well on the armor front. I've also got like 5 silver knight shields now...

Chitown B

those skeletons in Tomb of Giants really aren't all that hard. Especially with a divine weapon, it seems. Maybe I'm just too decked out.

I kinda just stopped trying to parry. Every creature hits in a different timing, and it's just annoying. I take the hit with my 141 stability Tower Kite +10 and let them stagger. :)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on 360 too I'm grinding in anor londo for souls for my giants armor torso so I can upgrade it to the max.

tumblr_mfeagnu5ZJ1rmxkvjo1_500.png

Yeah I'll ask I'm still in anor londo not done Ornstein and Smough yet, I'm grinding so I can buy twinkling titanite and upgrade some armor. My havel's head and torso with black iron other stuff is going well on the armor front. I've also got like 5 silver knight shields now...

Sweet. My level 69 is grinding Anor Londo at the mo' to buff my rags. I usually rock Ornstein's combo, but I've got Big Hat Logan's head gear and decided to go super light.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I loved Demon's Souls but kind of reached a point in that game where nothing was a challenge, I had learned everything and was decked out enough to be a powerhouse.

Finally picked up Dark Souls during the XBL sale last week...is the game consistently open-ended enough where you can possibly end up somewhere you're ill-equipped to possibly progress through?

I enjoyed how in Demon's Souls the levels were split in the central hub - like stage select in an older title. But playing Dark Souls last night, I reached the Firelink shrine and began to explore and stumbled upon a graveyard with a path. I figured this was the way to go and proceeded to go up against skeletons I could only do a sliver of damage against. I think I spent 30 minutes mastering how to get through the first 3 encounters but the fourth including an enormous fellow that would one hit kill me and was relentless.

I cracked, read a walkthrough and found out that wasn't the way I was supposed to go yet. Are there a lot of moments like that in the game? Just want to mentally prepare myself.

So I could combine the Leo and Hornet Rings for my Rapier/Sorcery builds? Hmmmm...

Yeah, that's right. Add me if you want, my GT is in my profile.

I've got a level 8 I'm working on at the moment. I can speed through to Blighttown tonight, I reckon. What level are you?

You might want to run some tests on that. I'm fairly certain that Ripostes get counter damage bonuses now that I think about it, but I have no idea of the Leo Ring will give a further bonus. I'll slap em both on and test it out on some poor undead.

I loved Demon's Souls but kind of reached a point in that game where nothing was a challenge, I had learned everything and was decked out enough to be a powerhouse.

Finally picked up Dark Souls during the XBL sale last week...is the game consistently open-ended enough where you can possibly end up somewhere you're ill-equipped to possibly progress through?

I enjoyed how in Demon's Souls the levels were split in the central hub - like stage select in an older title. But playing Dark Souls last night, I reached the Firelink shrine and began to explore and stumbled upon a graveyard with a path. I figured this was the way to go and proceeded to go up against skeletons I could only do a sliver of damage against. I think I spent 30 minutes mastering how to get through the first 3 encounters but the fourth including an enormous fellow that would one hit kill me and was relentless.

I cracked, read a walkthrough and found out that wasn't the way I was supposed to go yet. Are there a lot of moments like that in the game? Just want to mentally prepare myself.

Hrm. Hard to really say. While you are supposed to figure out where to go based on "Holy shit I can't handle fighting that" a lot of times, it's rarely ever to such a huge gap as that first one with Graveyard vs Burg. Most of the time it'll be a lot easier to handle than that. In fact, I can't even say I know what the "canon" progression is anymore, I just do whatever.

Randam

first: why didnt you check somewhere else?

the guy tells you where to go.
and he doesn't mean the graveyeard. ;)

and not really.
you will reach points, where you have a few ways to go again in the game, but then you should be able to survive in all of them.

if not, turn around and try an other way.

and "pro tip": allways listen to the NPCs and read item describtions.
especially of keys.
they will tell you where to use them/find the door, they fit in.

Randam

You might want to run some tests on that. I'm fairly certain that Ripostes get counter damage bonuses now that I think about it, but I have no idea of the Leo Ring will give a further bonus. I'll slap em both on and test it out on some poor undead.

leo ring only boosts counter attacks with trusting swords, or spears.
hornet ring boosts riposts and bakstabs. nothing more.
plunging attacks can't be boosted.

in the deeps, you can find a good shield, for blighttown.
has good poison resistance.(read describtion)

I don't think I have that.

can be found in the deeps.
has good poison resistance.(read describtion)

Chitown B

not a LOT of moments like that, but there are a couple. That's the most stark example.

I don't think I have that.
Find it early in the depths, down a hole. Poison doesn't go through it AT ALL, so you can sit there with your shield up all day and have nothing to fear.
leo ring only boosts counter attacks with trusting swords, or spears.
hornet ring boosts riposts and bakstabs. nothing more.
plunging attacks can't be boosted.

Yeah, I just tested it out. I know that ripostes do more damage than backstabs, and I assume that's counter damage, but if it is the Leo ring isn't triggered, so it won't help you out.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
first: why didnt you check somewhere else?

the guy tells you where to go.
and he doesn't mentain the graveyeard. ;)
So I know now that you could reach the graveyard by walking northwest of the guy. But I didn't go that way first.

He told me, bell below, bell above. I figured bell above sounded like a good start and walked by him and up some stairs. Collected some items, then walked up some more stairs and dropped to an area with chests. Looted them and took an exit that dropped me into the graveyard. Basically the path I took which involved first going up, looped around and dropped me into the graveyard. So for a while I thought this was the right way. :(

I flat out did not notice the path off to the side that goes uphill.

Chitown B

So I know now that you could reach the graveyard by walking northwest of the guy. But I didn't go that way first.

He told me, bell below, bell above. I figured bell above sounded like a good start and walked by him and up some stairs. Collected some items, then walked up some more stairs and dropped to an area with chests. Looted them and took an exit that dropped me into the graveyard. Basically the path I took which involved first going up, looped around and dropped me into the graveyard. So for a while I thought this was the right way. :(

I flat out did not notice the path off to the side that goes uphill.

LOL. been there, man.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Find it early in the depths, down a hole. Poison doesn't go through it AT ALL, so you can sit there with your shield up all day and have nothing to fear.

Ha. I saw that hole and went "you know what? I haven't seen a bonfire down here yet so I'm not going to drop down into the darkness" and didn't go down.

Mistel

Banned
Sweet. My level 69 is grinding Anor Londo at the mo' to buff my rags. I usually rock Ornstein's combo, but I've got Big Hat Logan's head gear and decided to go super light.
Your only 16 or so levels ahead of me then I'm going for a more sort of heavy armor style with my knightess, she can tank stuff as well as dish out damage it's going well for me. I just need lots of souls not that they are difficult to get now.

cebri.one

Just installed it.But i have a question, do i need to login to GFW to save my progress??? I thought that service was shutted down some time ago.

AlexBasch

I'm trying to beat Smough and Ornstein on my own again.

I did this once and I'm sure I can do it again. Summoning is cheap and for casuals, I'm hardcore, single and I hate my life.

What level did you guys clear Anor Londo by the way? I'm sure there are many SL1 guys and whatnot, but I'm curious.

Hahahaha. Yeah, I tried to butt my way through that section before finding out that I had to go to Undead Burg first.

Those goddamn bleeding skeletons though.

Overdoziz

Banned
Started a new character. Sorcerer this time around, rang both bells within two hours. Got through Blighttown in like 15 minutes. Feels good. :D

Top Bottom