• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I'm trying to beat Smough and Ornstein on my own again.

I did this once and I'm sure I can do it again. Summoning is cheap and for casuals, I'm hardcore, single and I hate my life.

What level did you guys clear Anor Londo by the way? I'm sure there are many SL1 guys and whatnot, but I'm curious.
No one does SL1 on their first playthrough (well no one I know!). Agree with Arjen, I'd say 40-60 is about right for a first playthrough.

When I get to the bonfire after the archers I usually level up to SL45-50 and there's a sharp increase in summon signs from the SL25-35 range I would be at for Sen's. It nice actually to see the floor plastered with them, makes you realise how many people are still playing several years after release.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Your only 16 or so levels ahead of me then I'm going for a more sort of heavy armor style with my knightess, she can tank stuff as well as dish out damage it's going well for me. I just need lots of souls not that they are difficult to get now.

It's 10 levels plus 10% so that should work. So are you going for Smough's armour? That's meant to be pretty good from what I've heard.

AlexBasch

I'm at 47. Guess I'll grind a bit more, because I'm dying in very few hits against them.

I only recall being able to kill Ornstein first and defeating SSJ2 Smough, but this time I did the opposite and motherfucker is very tough.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I must say I've always hated the whole, "elemental weapon hits always do damage no matter what" policy of Dark Souls, especially when the shield your using to block is supposedly particularly resistant to said elemental weapon.

Dealing with Super Smough is a real pain in the ass. Lightning buttslams can go eat a dick.

Gorillaz

I'm trying to beat Smough and Ornstein on my own again.

I did this once and I'm sure I can do it again. Summoning is cheap and for casuals, I'm hardcore, single and I hate my life.

What level did you guys clear Anor Londo by the way? I'm sure there are many SL1 guys and whatnot, but I'm curious.

Were joking when we say "SL1 or die"
not really you, since only casuls level up
or anything else like that.

I was Anor Londo I think at lvl 44?...The best mix is 35-50. Anor is probably one of the biggest level gapped areas in the game besides New Londo and the Kiln. Once you past 55 you might have problems

I'm at 47. Guess I'll grind a bit more, because I'm dying in very few hits against them.

I only recall being able to kill Ornstein first and defeating SSJ2 Smough, but this time I did the opposite and motherfucker is very tough.

Yea smough is the easier target as long as your agile. I killed Ornstein last because dat armor.

I want it

Ricky 7

Yeah, that's right. Add me if you want, my GT is in my profile.

I've got a level 8 I'm working on at the moment. I can speed through to Blighttown tonight, I reckon. What level are you?

I'm level 61 (I didn't realise I was so high) but I don't think I've been playing the game in the right order, I've just been killing every boss that I come across. I forgot about the Depths area and just revisited it now.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm level 61 (I didn't realise I was so high) but I don't think I've been playing the game in the right order, I've just been killing every boss that I come across. I forgot about the Depths area and just revisited it now.

My bad, I assumed you were lower! Sorry!

I got a level 69 too, mate, so no biggy. Hit me up if you want to tag team.

Beauty of the game? There is no right order. :)

Mistel

Banned
It's 10 levels plus 10% so that should work. So are you going for Smough's armour? That's meant to be pretty good from what I've heard.
Nah It's ugly and I can upgrade the stuff I've got to better than it I just want to kill them so I can pillage their corpses. And that sounds incredible dark.

I'll be on in about 20 minutes.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Nah It's ugly and I can upgrade the stuff I've got to better than it I just want to kill them so I can pillage their corpses. And that sounds incredible dark.

I'll be on in about 20 minutes.

I got a baby to deal with for the moment which is worse than any Dark Souls boss! Maybe an hour or so yet. If I see you on I'll message you, if that's cool?

Yea smough is the easier target as long as your agile. I killed Ornstein last because dat armor.

I want it

KTeVgTt.jpg

S'my boy.

AlexBasch

I was Anor Londo I think at lvl 44?...The best mix is 35-50. Anor is probably one of the biggest level gapped areas in the game besides New Londo and the Kiln. Once you past 55 you might have problems.
I think I'll leave it at 50 for now. I'm using the lightning spear and it's not getting any stronger with the Dex upgrades anyway.

About the Ornstein's armour? Aw yiss. I want it. I'm still sporting my boar helmet. Shit is so cash.

Ricky 7

My bad, I assumed you were lower! Sorry!

I got a level 69 too, mate, so no biggy. Hit me up if you want to tag team.

Beauty of the game? There is no right order. :)

Good to hear that there's no right order. I'll add your gamertag so just let me know whenever you want to join my game. Also don't mind my gamertag, I made it 10 years ago when I was a kid so it's pretty stupid. =P

It's not always just about soul level, but also your equipment (and it's weight with regards to how fast you move), what resistances you have (high lightning resistance shield/armour things like that), is your weapon upgraded as high as you could take it atm?

Say you started as a Pyromancer (starts SL1) and you put those 46 points into Vitality and wore heavy armour, you could tank everything almost by this point. But if you put those 46 points into INT and kept nimble with light armour, you'd be a magic glass canon and could die in a couple or single hit from O&S. As leveling up gets more expensive, I prefer to spend souls on spells, consumables, upgrading before leveling up unless I want to reach a certain level for spell/weapon/co-op purposes.

I think I'll leave it at 50 for now. I'm using the lightning spear and it's not getting any stronger with the Dex upgrades anyway.
Elemental weapons have no stat scaling. And Ornstein is resistant to lightning. :p

Mistel

Banned
I got a baby to deal with for the moment which is worse than any Dark Souls boss! Maybe an hour or so yet. If I see you on I'll message you, if that's cool?
Yeah it's fine, i'm really not motherly material when it comes to babies.
stormtrooper: i would coop oreos and smores with you but i don't have gold :(
I might be able to help with that if you're interested? I've got spare trial codes lying around.

ZenaxPure

I think I'm close to the end of the game (roaming around the archives right now), but, I gotta be honest getting invaded literally every time I go to kindle is really causing me to lose interest in playing. I don't really kindle that often (usually just if I find a new bonfire and I am low on estus) but ugh every single time without fail I get interrupted and someone comes running around to fight. It is basically the worst thing ever.

Yeah it's fine, i'm really not motherly material when it comes to babies.

I might be able to help with that if you're interested? I've got spare trial codes lying around.

im down

I think I'm close to the end of the game (roaming around the archives right now), but, I gotta be honest getting invaded literally every time I go to kindle is really causing me to lose interest in playing. I don't really kindle that often (usually just if I find a new bonfire and I am low on estus) but ugh every single time without fail I get interrupted and someone comes running around to fight. It is basically the worst thing ever.

go offline

M.D

Need some advice..

I started playing again after making this character some time ago.
I started it as a sorcerer back then, when I came back I decided to play melee and only put in 2 more points to levels and now I'm level 30 (and plan to stay that way) with 16 STR and 14 DEX

Any suggestions for weapons? Its the first build I've done without going to a higher level

Need some advice..

I started playing again after making this character some time ago.
I started it as a sorcerer back then, when I came back I decided to play melee and only put in 2 more points to levels and now I'm level 30 (and plan to stay that way) with 16 STR and 14 DEX

Any suggestions for weapons? Its the first build I've done without going to a higher level

probably a club with some sort of enchantment on it.

seems to be the popular choice for low SL builds

ZenaxPure

go offline

I don't really want to play either if I can't use the other online aspects, because they are fucking awesome. I'm alright dealing with the invasions so I can use the online aspects that aren't shit, but, I'm more just tired of being kicked out of my bonfire. It bothers me you can even be invaded while you are actually using a bonfire.

Gorillaz

The Duke Archives are definitely a pain because the bonfire before the boss battle, I'm talking about the real one where you go through that ice cave, is basically invasion square. I think I got to the point where I trolled people there with a another coop buddy

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Broke down and downloaded the PC version to cheat my way through a new playthough. No time for a proper playthrough with midterms.

Why? I mean, whats the point of playing Dark Souls if you are just going to cheat through it? Doesn't that pretty much negate the whole point of the game? o_O

Chitown B

I must say I've always hated the whole, "elemental weapon hits always do damage no matter what" policy of Dark Souls, especially when the shield your using to block is supposedly particularly resistant to said elemental weapon.

Dealing with Super Smough is a real pain in the ass. Lightning buttslams can go eat a dick.

agreed but my beef is more with those electric demons in Anor Londo.

ZenaxPure

The Duke Archives are definitely a pain because the bonfire before the boss battle, I'm talking about the real one where you go through that ice cave, is basically invasion square. I think I got to the point where I trolled people there with a another coop buddy

The guy that just invaded me before I decided to take a break was mostly naked and just running around laying down the glow stones (whose name slips my mind right now). Wasn't even bothering to attack me. Was just really annoying because any time I approached he would just run off near a horde of enemies. Was like 20 minutes wasted before I could get back to playing the game.

Why? I mean, whats the point of playing Dark Souls if you are just going to cheat through it? Doesn't that pretty much negate the whole point of the game? o_O

Wait. Yeah if this is his first time he definitely shouldn't be cheating through Dark Souls. Hacking in some inventory for like a 5th playthrough is one thing, but not like this.

It's like, literally missing the point.

EDIT:
The guy that just invaded me before I decided to take a break was mostly naked and just running around laying down the glow stones (whose name slips my mind right now). Wasn't even bothering to attack me. Was just really annoying because any time I approached he would just run off near a horde of enemies. Was like 20 minutes wasted before I could get back to playing the game.

You know he was doing that to make your day better right? :/ Besides not like he was in your way.

Ferr986

Busy day helping fellow players in the parish. As I said yesterday, it seems like theres a lot of coop-ing again on the 360 ver.

It also helping me on getting the hang of the slower STR weps (my other builds were more focused on DEX weps).

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I don't see how you guys can kill Smough first. Every time I try Ornstein stun locks me and I recover just in time to get turned into a pancake by Smough. The last two tries they both got in my face so hard I couldn't even see my dude.

Gorillaz

Yea, when I played over the summer it wasn't that bad but with DS2 around the corner, I'm not surprised trolling is up. I would just try to press on or get coop buddies. People quit if they can't find you within the first 3 mins just because of big of a place it is.

Overall I loved the place tho, but I'm a sucker for those crystal and ice type of places in games.

I don't see how you guys can kill Smough first. Every time I try Ornstein stun locks me and I recover just in time to get turned into a pancake by Smough. The last two tries they both got in my face so hard I couldn't even see my dude.

Generic as hell but, keeping distance is always key, those 4,6,8 (forgot how many) pillars in the boss room act as a nice little momentum stopping for their charging attacks.

Chitown B

Lol, me too. Actually I just started playing DS right after my kid was born. What's nice is even though there's no pause button - if you're not near an enemy, you can sit idle forever as long as you're not human.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, me too. Actually I just started playing DS right after my kid was born. What's nice is even though there's no pause button - if you're not near an enemy, you can sit idle forever as long as you're not human.

It is cool. Oddly relaxing too.

The closest I got to killing The Four Kings on NG+ was interrupted by my lil un. I had their health down to something like two inches, but I had to quit out straight away. Didn't bat an eyelid.

Now, that's love.

Because I already have a save file on PS3 with about 150+ hours on this game and done everything lol. Wanted to do a for fun run again but finding it too much work at this point when all I want to do is see the credits again/bs with random set ups without needing to pour another 50+ hours into it.

AlexBasch

It's not always just about soul level, but also your equipment (and it's weight with regards to how fast you move), what resistances you have (high lightning resistance shield/armour things like that), is your weapon upgraded as high as you could take it atm?

Say you started as a Pyromancer (starts SL1) and you put those 46 points into Vitality and wore heavy armour, you could tank everything almost by this point. But if you put those 46 points into INT and kept nimble with light armour, you'd be a magic glass canon and could die in a couple or single hit from O&S. As leveling up gets more expensive, I prefer to spend souls on spells, consumables, upgrading before leveling up unless I want to reach a certain level for spell/weapon/co-op purposes.

Elemental weapons have no stat scaling. And Ornstein is resistant to lightning. :p
I have a +5 Halberd which was doing decent damage on the knights but does like 80 DMG to Mega Ornstein. Resistances? Shit, I have no idea, I don't block at all because I end up losing HP anyway, so I'm two-handing instead. I only use the boar helmet, the red waistcloth and the default gloves.

I always use a Dexterity based character. I like using spears, halberds and whatnot, but I'm having a lot more of trouble on this.

Heck, I'm ashamed to admit that I will get the Queelag's Firesword or whatever it's called, feels bad because I feel like I'm cheating and cheesing my way through Dark Souls.

I don't summon, use stamina grass, kindle fires or upgrade the flasks. I feel like I'm going full casual easy mode if I do that. I had to convince myself that upgrading weapons was necessary. :|

ZenaxPure

You know he was doing that to make your day better right? :/ Besides not like he was in your way.

I'm not sure how randomly throw rocks down in an area I've already fully explored is meant to help me, but, sure if you say so. Also the part where after a I got bored of dealing with it and just stood in a corner he came over and smashed my face in with a giant hammer. I guess technically that did help me though, I got to actually get back to playing the game.

Overall I loved the place tho, but I'm a sucker for those crystal and ice type of places in games.

I think the zone itself is awesome as well. I love the hidden paths with snowflakes (crystalflakes?) falling down onto them. The whole area looks amazing. I actually like the library section as well, though, it's nice to see an area in a Souls game that doesn't look like the apocalypse came through and turned it into a broken down shit hole.

Randam

trying artorias at level 1.
no luck yet.

I suck at reading attacks.
I still try to attack in situation, I died before and should know not to attack.
and because I'm fighting him in hypermode even his black dirt stuff kills me, when he hits me with it.

Were joking when we say "SL1 or die"
Attempted Chorenstein and Dough at SL25 the other night with a +10 Zweihander (STR at 25) and trounced them first time, relatively hassle-free. It wasn't the challenge I was hoping for, truth be told; not like one's first time, anyway. It was basically a battle of attrition.

Ah, well. I probably shouldn't have used something like the Zwei in an artificial challenge, but I've always wanted to do a Zwei run, so I thought I'd 'two-birds-one-stone' it. FaP ring wouldn't have helped either... :) The Souls series is especially good at highlighting the immense gulf in your skill level from noob to experienced undead, so there's that, too.

Funnily enough, I found dispatching of Smough first much easier for whatever reason.

JustinBB7

Invaded a guy in the catacombs (NG++ I'm around level..150 or something). I fought him near the first bonfire and I was winning, he started to run away to try and heal, got trapped between skeletons and I backstabbed him to death. Gave me around 850000 souls, leveled up 4/5 times lmao. Was pretty funny.

Mistel

Banned
I think screaming meat is with his baby dead, His phantom is just standing there lol. Nearly killed smough but I got backside slammed with a tiny, tiny bit of his health left.

Chitown B

Invaded a guy in the catacombs (NG++ I'm around level..150 or something). I fought him near the first bonfire and I was winning, he started to run away to try and heal, got trapped between skeletons and I backstabbed him to death. Gave me around 850000 souls, leveled up 4/5 times lmao. Was pretty funny.

lol. so people just run around with that many souls?

theytookourjobz

Making some actual progress! Might be able to finally beat the game soonish! Finally beat O&S with the help of that NPC summon, took down Nito first try, and about to fight Seath. The man lizard great sword +15 and my 50 strength wrecks shit.

Attempted Chorenstein and Dough at SL25 the other night with a +10 Zweihander (STR at 25) and trounced them first time, relatively hassle-free. It wasn't the challenge I was hoping for, truth be told; not like one's first time, anyway. It was basically a battle of attrition.

Ah, well. I probably shouldn't have used something like the Zwei in an artificial challenge, but I've always wanted to do a Zwei run, so I thought I'd 'two-birds-one-stone' it. FaP ring wouldn't have helped either... :) The Souls series is especially good at highlighting the immense gulf in your skill level from noob to experienced undead, so there's that, too.

Funnily enough, I found dispatching of Smough first much easier for whatever reason.

iCLIBk8dnHJ8L.gif

JustinBB7

lol. so people just run around with that many souls?

He must have been in my level range, so he could level up at least 4/5 times as well. I dunno why he was walking around with it. But he was at the bonfire, maybe I just invaded at the right time right when he wanted to spend them. But still, that would have meant he was walking around with way too many souls for a long time. Dunno what he was doing.

Chitown B

He must have been in my level range, so he could level up at least 4/5 times as well. I dunno why he was walking around with it. But he was at the bonfire, maybe I just invaded at the right time right when he wanted to spend them. But still, that would have meant he was walking around with way too many souls for a long time. Dunno what he was doing.

maybe he did the same thing to someone else.

Start watching PvP videos. If you PvP at all, it's actually a bad idea to level up, and unless you're running around exclusively with Greatbows there isn't a whole lot to spend souls on. I see most PvP videos having like a million or more souls.

I have a +5 Halberd which was doing decent damage on the knights but does like 80 DMG to Mega Ornstein. Resistances? Shit, I have no idea, I don't block at all because I end up losing HP anyway, so I'm two-handing instead. I only use the boar helmet, the red waistcloth and the default gloves.

I always use a Dexterity based character. I like using spears, halberds and whatnot, but I'm having a lot more of trouble on this.

Heck, I'm ashamed to admit that I will get the Queelag's Firesword or whatever it's called, feels bad because I feel like I'm cheating and cheesing my way through Dark Souls.

I don't summon, use stamina grass, kindle fires or upgrade the flasks. I feel like I'm going full casual easy mode if I do that. I had to convince myself that upgrading weapons was necessary. :|
What?!... Are you joking? None of that is casual, it's all in the game, use it. :)

Halberd is a great weapon one of my favourites great moveset, you should've picked up the Large Ember in a chest in the Depths, when you give it to Andre the blacksmith in the Parish it will allow you to ascend weapons to +10. You can take weapons to +15, but +10 should be fine for O&S. There is also a Crystal Halberd in Anor Londo that is useful for the fight - you can't repair crystal weapons, but upgrading them resets the degradation, but I'd use it as a throwaway just for that fight not worth the upgrade materials (imo).

About blocking - if you're taking damage then either a) your shield doesn't block 100% physical damage, b) you are getting hit with elemental or magic damage that your shield doesn't block a high % of, or c) you're running out of stamina and getting your guard broken and stunned or knocked down - because the blocked hit drained more stamina than you had left. Drop your shield when not actually blocking because stamina regenerates really slow with it up. Look at the shields you have a switch them out as you need them - they all have different positives and minuses, look at their stats page in the menu for a breakdown.

I always think it's worthwhile in these cases to go back to Andre and get your weapon as high as you can. It's a very quick trip back to the Parish if you unlocked the shortcut in Sen's, even if you didn't there is another shortcut jumping down which is just about as quick. Don't rest at a bonfire on the way and then homebone back to Anor Londo. Attack power is crucial in Souls, the quicker you kill a boss, the less chance they have to kill you! :)

Chitown B

anyone have tips on hitting the crystal enemies in Dukes? No matter what it seems every thing I hit them, even if I do damage it acts like I'm hitting a shield.

JustinBB7

Start watching PvP videos. If you PvP at all, it's actually a bad idea to level up, and unless you're running around exclusively with Greatbows there isn't a whole lot to spend souls on. I see most PvP videos having like a million or more souls.

I just do it for fun, I know there aren't that many people with that high level that are human AND in the area. New Londo had a lot though, had some fun fights there. I'm pretty much just doing a NG++ run and sometimes see if I can invade or get invaded.

Top Bottom