• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Gorillaz

anyone have tips on hitting the crystal enemies in Dukes? No matter what it seems every thing I hit them, even if I do damage it acts like I'm hitting a shield.

You mean the small soldier types or the big ones?

Either way elemental weapons are good, obviously the fire ones. At that point in the game you should something that can really fuck them up tho

I just do it for fun, I know there aren't that many people with that high level that are human AND in the area. New Londo had a lot though, had some fun fights there. I'm pretty much just doing a NG++ run and sometimes see if I can invade or get invaded.
Could just be a guy running around trolling, who knows. Why would anyone invade someone just to dance around naked with the channelers trident? :p

burnfout

Beat S&O tonight in my NG+ game.

Made a funny mistake though, I forgot their health reset after you kill one, so I was draining them both, thinking the second phase would be easier like that.

Both only had a sliver left, then I killed Smough. :-( reset haha.

Had so much freaking fun though, my skill level is inmense compared to the first time.

Wish I had a save point, this is one of my favorite bossfights ever.

Chitown B

You mean the small soldier types or the big ones?

Either way elemental weapons are good, obviously the fire ones. At that point in the game you should something that can really fuck them up tho

the little ones. I use a regular Claymore +10, no elemental weapons.

Continuing from where I left off!

I managed to beat Smough and Ornstein on my second attempt today. It was so simple just circling them with the smashed pillars that I don't know why I had so much trouble before. Either way, it was a fun fight.

After seeing Gwynevere, I warped back to the Firelink Shrine to revive the poor fire keeper lady. She seemed upset by it, but I hope she'll get over it in time. I figured I would get me some humanities, since I was running very low. Made my way to the depths and farmed some humanities for a while off rats.

Went back to Darkroot Gardens to see if I could explore that area I opened up with the expensive Astora thing. Managed to kill all the humans, but figured I'd give that one hydra by the Darkroot Basin a try before I proceed further. Saved at a bonfire and going to pick it up next time there.

krakov

Need some advice..

I started playing again after making this character some time ago.
I started it as a sorcerer back then, when I came back I decided to play melee and only put in 2 more points to levels and now I'm level 30 (and plan to stay that way) with 16 STR and 14 DEX

Any suggestions for weapons? Its the first build I've done without going to a higher level

Your stats are perfect for a chaos gargoyles halberd, one of the best elemental weapons in the game. With 16 STR and 14 DEX you can use most of the regular good weapons, take the ones you like and make the lightning or chaos. Some of my favorites are the regular halberd, claymore, great scythe and rapier. Weapons that have a high base damage are usually the ones that get the best dmg when made elemental.

mannerbot

I have a +5 Halberd which was doing decent damage on the knights but does like 80 DMG to Mega Ornstein. Resistances? Shit, I have no idea, I don't block at all because I end up losing HP anyway, so I'm two-handing instead. I only use the boar helmet, the red waistcloth and the default gloves.

I always use a Dexterity based character. I like using spears, halberds and whatnot, but I'm having a lot more of trouble on this.

Heck, I'm ashamed to admit that I will get the Queelag's Firesword or whatever it's called, feels bad because I feel like I'm cheating and cheesing my way through Dark Souls.

I don't summon, use stamina grass, kindle fires or upgrade the flasks. I feel like I'm going full casual easy mode if I do that. I had to convince myself that upgrading weapons was necessary. :|

Quelaag's Furysword isn't actually that good, a starting weapon fully upgraded is probably better. It all just comes down to preference. However, you should have your weapon to +10 by now. Didn't you get the
Large Ember from the Depths? It's in a chest right next to the first Butcher lady.
And regarding making the game easy mode, I'd say all of the stuff you mentioned certainly does make the game easier but in my opinion it's only summoning that will actually ruin the game. This is especially true for O&S, where the entire encounter is based around a 2v1 mechanic, so summoning basically completely deflates the experience.

Since you're already getting to phase 2 I would guess that simply kindling the bonfire will get you past the boss without changing anything else. As Red Liquorice mentioned, you probably shouldn't be taking damage through a block unless you actually don't have a 100% physical block shield. However, if you are already capable of dodging the attacks, that's obviously the superior option. If you do decide to keep on 2h-ing, try throwing the Grass Crest Shield since it'll boost your stamina regen even while it's on your back. I assume that you're already doing a good job of isolating the enemies, but you should try to use the geometry of the level (i.e. pillars) to your advantage at all times.

The point is that boss weapons are by no means more powerful than "normal" weapons.

I suppose that's a gripe I have with the game. I was looking at Queelag's sword or even Gwyns sword. But statistically they're really not that much more appealing than grinding out a normal weapon up to high levels and/or enchanting it.

mannerbot

I suppose that's a gripe I have with the game. I was looking at Queelag's sword or even Gwyns sword. But statistically they're really not that much more appealing than grinding out a normal weapon up to high levels and/or enchanting it.

That's one of the things that I like most about it. It's a game of skill that is open to a wide variety of different playstyles, rather than one where your progress is contingent on getting lucky drops or (even worse) where the entire appeal of the game is getting progressively more "amazing" loot. No thanks.

That's one of the things that I like most about it. It's a game of skill that is open to a wide variety of different playstyles, rather than one where your progress is contingent on getting lucky drops or (even worse) where the entire appeal of the game is getting progressively more "amazing" loot. No thanks.

While I agree on that it isn't focused on loot and such, it still sucks that you have these badass looking weapons that are just so outclassed. I get that they don't need to be better than other weapons, but they should at least have some distinguishing characteristics that make them balanced against other weapons.

iCLIBk8dnHJ8L.gif

Haha. I hope you're laughing at the acronym, rather than my using it :(

And yeah, my SL125 PvP bloke is carrying around a cool 6 million souls. I own Lordran, basically.

MG310

Having fun going through the 360 version w/o having Live. Though more grinding is necessary for the achievements this way - having to meet the Faith requirement to join the SunBros instead of being summoned, farming Eyes of Death and Souvenirs of Reprisal for their respective covenants rather than doing the actual thing etc.

Also going from using spears almost exclusively to using the Uchigatana all the time made me realize how many bad habits I picked up by being able to block and attack at the same time.

AlexBasch

What?!... Are you joking? None of that is casual, it's all in the game, use it. :)
Feels weird to use those things, feel like crutches or something, but I might resort to those. :/

I will try to follow your advice along with mannerbot, thanks! :D

I noticed the pillars thing being able to stop the lightning attacks from Ornstein, plus those help against the immediate attack when you want to touch Smough.

Forgot one thing, I haven't even beaten Capra Demon in this run, am I doing something wrong or missing something from there?

mannerbot

Feels weird to use those things, feel like crutches or something, but I might resort to those. :/

I will try to follow your advice along with mannerbot, thanks! :D

I noticed the pillars thing being able to stop the lightning attacks from Ornstein, plus those help against the immediate attack when you want to touch Smough.

Forgot one thing, I haven't even beaten Capra Demon in this run, am I doing something wrong or missing something from there?

Oh, so that's why your weapon isn't +10. lol. Yeah, go kill the Capra Demon for access to the Depths. You don't have actually have to do that area anymore, but it should be pretty easy. But at least go there to get the ember.

Again though, I highly recommend not summoning for the best Dark Souls experience. You're already right on the edge of beating what I think is the last real challenge in the base game, so you're certainly good enough to beat it solo and without doing anything you'd consider cheesy. But hey, if you do get frustrated to the point where you want to quit and you're playing on PC, you can just summon me to ruin your game and kill the boss myself. :p

Seance

Banned
While I agree on that it isn't focused on loot and such, it still sucks that you have these badass looking weapons that are just so outclassed. I get that they don't need to be better than other weapons, but they should at least have some distinguishing characteristics that make them balanced against other weapons.

Except they aren't outclassed an all boss weapons are very much unique........

I haven't posted in here in a while, and that's because I scrapped the previous challenge run I was doing for something even crazier. My new run, which I think really is the last one finally, is as a base level Sorcerer, naked, no shield (except for those that grant buffs; the Sorcerer lacks the strength to actually wield them anyway), no weapon or estus upgrades, and gravelorded. No consumables either, though I wasn't doing that before.

My go to weapon is the Dark Hand; I was able to grab it before even the Taurus Demon, though it necessitated quite a bit of grinding, first on ghosts to get a Jagged Ghost Blade, which is useful against enemies that have tons of health but bleed and made traveling to Ingward possible (though not easy in the slightest; that house he's standing on is the worst), then on Darkwraiths. I've never used the Dark Hand until now, and I said "oh shit" out loud twice when I first saw its special riposte animation against player-like enemies, that's just how nasty it is. It's generally a great weapon aside from its pitiful range. It has effectively infinite durability and I never have to worry about bouncing off obstacles with it.

I've reached Ornstein and Smough again, going through every area and clearing them out except the Painted World, Great Hollow, Ash Lake and parts of Darkroot Forest on the way. I didn't clear out Sen's Fortress, there are some enemies there that just aren't feasible. I've definitely gained a new appreciation for parrying, and doing it empty handed with constant huge risk is a thrill. The thieves in the lower Undead Burg became terrors like never before, and the dogs were even worse than usual. I had an awesomely tense fight with Quelaag where I came in at half health expecting to die and ended up winning without being touched. I killed Andre for the first time to avoid paying for the Covenant of Artorias, that was weird. It's funny how I can just steamroll the knights in Anor Londo, between the Hornet Ring and the Dark Hand's Occult damage a riposte crushes them. Aside from Black Phantoms, that is.

Anyway, I was trying to beat O&S, killing Smough first naturally using the Jagged Ghost Blade (I was wussing out before in my SL1 run, using the Giant Blacksmith Hammer), and I came close a few times, but I had a thought. A supremely dumb thought. If I could access extended "hyper mode (getting cursed, wearing the Dusk Crown Ring and Red Tearstone Ring, getting down to 20% health and using Power Within while equipping Sanctus to cancel its damage)," O&S would be cake. The only problem being that Sanctus is at the bottom of the Tomb of Giants, dropped by the NPC invader Leeroy.

So I decided to go there.

I knew the Catacombs would be a daunting, but feasible challenge. I wanted to take a "natural" route, to see where Black Phantoms were added with gravelording and kill the necromancers. I've never really memorized the area's layout either. It was a hell of a struggle to get to the second bonfire, and afterward I was treated to a surprisingly extended Pinwheel fight. But the Tomb of Giants. Good lord. Black Phantoms everywhere. Black Phantom skeleton dogs. Black. Phantom. Skeleton. Dogs. That nope.gif has nothing on what I went through to get to the bottom, and it was only the beginning because, as I now know, Leeroy doesn't spawn until you've placed the lordvessel on the altar. Oh, and I had to climb all the way out manually. That was when the enormity of my mistake really dawned on me. Sanctus or not, there was a very real chance that this character was never going to see the light of day again.

Getting back to the first Tomb bonfire from the second (I know, I'm dumb, I know) was hard enough, but getting back into the Catacombs was probably the most insane non-boss challenge I've faced in the game. Avoid a Black Phantom Giant Skeleton on a thin path with giant archers firing directly at me, then climb a ladder with the phantom in pursuit and archers still firing. Lure a pair of giant skeletons away from a ladder so they don't kill me in one hit. Use Aural Decoy to lure a Black Phantom Skeleton Wheel (did I mention these kill in one hit too?) into position for a plunging attack. Pull every single skeleton wheel in the bottom of the Catacombs (including multiple Black Phantoms) individually with arrows, then take them out. Get interrupted by a Black Knight wielding a greataxe who I thought was outside of aggro range and whose moveset I don't know. Then, and only then was I back in familiar territory, and there were still a couple of normal skeletons to deal with, which are plenty deadly in my state. I did it. I pulled myself from that terrible place. The light coming into that little entrance leading to the graveyard was beautiful, and when I emerged into it I really did praise the sun. This was perhaps the most quintessentially Dark Souls experience I've had, the closest I've come to the true despair of a character lost without hope at the bottom of the blackest pit imaginable. The fact that players are even able to enter the Tomb before placing the lordvessel is the ultimate design disaster, and skeleton dogs are awful enemies, but that kind of actual oppression is something only that area can create. The depth of my folly was absolute, but the feeling overcoming it gave me was something special. It was... Dark Souls.

So now I'll be facing O&S again. I know it's only a matter of time until I beat those bastards, but wish me luck all the same.

Mindlog

That's a hell of a send off to Dark Souls.
Good Luck!
I agree... so hard.
My biggest pet peeve of modern RPG/RPG bleed games.

I haven't posted in here in a while, and that's because I scrapped the previous challenge run I was doing for something even crazier. My new run, which I think really is the last one finally, is as a base level Sorcerer, naked, no shield (except for those that grant buffs; the Sorcerer lacks the strength to actually wield them anyway), no weapon or estus upgrades, and gravelorded. No consumables either, though I wasn't doing that before.
stuffstuffstuff
So now I'll be facing O&S again. I know it's only a matter of time until I beat those bastards, but wish me luck all the same.

Oh god. I went down in there once to get the Silver Serpent ring before the Lordvessel on my SL5, and I thought that was nuts. Jeez.

Dude, you quoted the whole thing. Not cool for those of us browsing on smartphones (like me at the moment).

On topic, my INT build finished Duke's so now I need to do Izalith and Tomb. I wanna unlock the shortcut but need more humanity :|

Dresden

Man, amazon is going to let me down. Still no real assurance of release day delivery.

DELIVERY ESTIMATE We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Guess I'll be getting it on the 12th instead of the 11th.

Mistel

Banned
I've been busy farming now my knightess has a giants torso +4 and +2 black iron stuff thanks to havel's ring I can still roll about quickly.

Joei

You can beat O&S with a broken sword hilt. So what? The point is that boss weapons are by no means more powerful than "normal" weapons.

:/ I really liked Qualagg's. I was SL6 and beat the game with it; it's an incredibly powerful low level weapon. I could see later on as you start to develop more elemental weapons or whatever, it might not be as good. But with the speed of the sword and strength and not needing stats, it's great.

Soulhouf

lol

it's pretty good actually. you can beat O&S with it and i can take down a sentinel in about 10 seconds or less...

The other weapon you can make with Quelaag's soul (Chaos Blade) is better actually.
The Fury sword is good but the problem is that its damage is split, that's why 90% of normal weapons will be better when upgraded to +15.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The other weapon you can make with Quelaag's soul (Chaos Blade) is better actually.
The Fury sword is good but the problem is that its damage is split, that's why 90% of normal weapons will be better when upgraded to +15.

It is pretty good but it has a few caveats. To be at it's most effective you need ten soft humanities on hand, the R2 moves take getting used to due to the long wind up, and the thing does chip away at your health with every hit. I personally think a +15 Iaito is way more effective.

Nerokis

Wow. Good luck, man. And I thought the usual SL1 run sounded difficult enough.

Finished NG+ earlier. I missed the DLC the first time around, and I can't believe what an amazing slice of content that ended up being. I went through ~60% of the game with a Balder Side Sword and minimal experience with heavier weapons (Silver Knight Spear being the biggest I'd used, I think), but I ended up falling in love with the Zweihander near the end. Fighting
Gwyn
felt quite different this time. I wasn't aware he could be parried the first time, and I didn't have a weapon that could go through poise so well. Combined with all the incredible bosses I had just gotten through, he did indeed feel rather enfeebled.

I think it's time for a break from Dark Souls (although technically I did have a small break!), but I feel tempted to do NG++ while emphasizing Four Knights gear for some reason.

Mistel

Banned
So can I use this iron golem soul for anything other than its axe? It's not bad but still I've got the Taurus demon one and gaping dragons...

Angst

I've returned to Dark Souls and it feels awesome!

I bought the game on release and played up to the Capra demon. I couldn't make him budge and it sort of soured me on the game. I felt the urge to play again yesterday and still haven't beaten him, but I had such a good time exploring that I've now decided to grab the demon by the horns and not give up before I finish the game. That might take a long time (I don't have much game time anymore), but I will finish it! And as soon as I finish it I will buy DS2 :)

Fevaweva

Just killed Kalameet. Cool boss, bit of a let down after Artorias but it was fun regardless. Could not attack his tail because he never put it on the floor! Pissed me off immensely.

Divius

Took my sl1 to Gwyndolin who wasn't too bad, but I messed up a dodge and lost all my souls + humanity. Oh well. Only Manus and Gwyn remain now.

After that I did some more dickwraithing and co-op in the Undead Burg, occasionally running into things like this:

Well, what is it? Nothing good sirs. Carry on.

Dyno

Want to thank everyone who gave me advice and videos for my little sorceror to get by the Anor Londo Archers. In the end I just ran up to the knight on the right and parry-riposted him three times. Felt good getting to that second bonfire. I then got to the blacksmith and made the Moonlight Butterfly Horn which is a pretty silly weapon that does alright damage for me.

I think I'm just going to help people with O&S for a while. In this run I did a race for the bells and to the Lordvessel while leaving a bunch of stuff behind. Basically a warp first and damn the rest kind of run. It's been challenging but good.

Everyone having trouble with the Anor Londo archers needs to realize that the ONLY thing you have to do is block. Eventually he'll just push himself off the edge with his attacks.

M.D

probably a club with some sort of enchantment on it.

seems to be the popular choice for low SL builds

Your stats are perfect for a chaos gargoyles halberd, one of the best elemental weapons in the game. With 16 STR and 14 DEX you can use most of the regular good weapons, take the ones you like and make the lightning or chaos. Some of my favorites are the regular halberd, claymore, great scythe and rapier. Weapons that have a high base damage are usually the ones that get the best dmg when made elemental.

Thanks for the advice!

I made a Lightning Reinforced Club +2, don't have any more Titanite Chunck for now..
I never used clubs much and didn't know if I'll like it because of the animation and the short range, but its working out great so far.
Its really powerful, I could probably stick with it for the rest of the game, but I'll look for more weapons to play around with most probably

I'll try out the Halberd as well at some point, but the sometimes that weapon can be so frustrating when you miss an attack :p

When you fight large enemies (mainly bosses), its really easy to completely miss attacks with it

AlexBasch

super_pumped_yeah.gif

Everyone having trouble with the Anor Londo archers needs to realize that the ONLY thing you have to do is block. Eventually he'll just push himself off the edge with his attacks.
Precisely. You'll never stop the arrows or whatever, your best bet is to block or attempt to parry the fucker, it's not like you can't get up there in the first place, at most, you'll only get slashed a bit more harder than the damage of the arrow.

Top Bottom