• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm farming for some souls in anor londo so I can buy some stuff from the nice giant and upgrade stuff. I've also got some dragon slayer arrows and the hawk ring so I'm going to kill that dragon in undead burg...

Ah, cool. That dragon is a proper pig. I'm online tonight in about 5-10 mins if you want back up anywhere. All feeding duties have been completed! :)

AlexBasch

After beating SSJ2 Ornstein and farming some souls and whatnot, this is my current build.

I want the Ornstein Lance, but if I'm going for a Dex build I shouldn't invest that much on STR, right?

I only upgraded the Intelligence because I want to use a spell or two, though.

NinjaBoiX

It is pretty good but it has a few caveats. To be at it's most effective you need ten soft humanities on hand, the R2 moves take getting used to due to the long wind up, and the thing does chip away at your health with every hit. I personally think a +15 Iaito is way more effective.
Fire Iaito is a fucking boss. I switch between that and my Uchigatana.

Love katana's in this game! If I can't do at least a 5 hit combo I'm not interested, Dex all the way mane.

NinjaBoiX

smh
Make that iaito+15 instead of fire!
Nah, my Uchi is going to be +15, it's the better weapon.

My Iaito is going to be fire +10.

I also need to max out my Pharis bow too. Both that and my Uchi are +10, I still need the very large ember.

Do I need anything else to get my fire Iaito up to +10 other then the required shards/chunks?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Love katana's in this game! If I can't do at least a 5 hit combo I'm not interested, Dex all the way mane.

yzz8C.gif

Mistel

Banned
Hellkite dragon dead in ten or so dragon slayer arrows that was easy. I don't meet the faith requirement for the sunlight covenant :(. Oh and I killed all of the black knights in the asylum and a titanite demon.

Hellkite dragon dead in ten or so dragon slayer arrows that was easy. I don't meet the faith requirement for the sunlight covenant :(. Oh and I killed all of the black knights in the asylum and a titanite demon.

You can reduce the Faith requirement by 5 for each boss you help a host defeat.

Seance

Banned

648.gif

You've got fucking problems.
Also uchi is a trash tier katana. Iaito > Chaos Blade > Uchi >>>>>>>> Washing Pole.

Randam

yes, finally beat artorias at sl1.

had him down to one last hit before, but fucked up on of the easiest dodges against him. xD

and if I have had the crown of dusk he would have been dead at that point.
but I can't find it.

is dusk gone, as long as I haven't beaten manus?
because I cant find here sign.

NinjaBoiX

You've got fucking problems.
Also uchi is a trash tier katana. Iaito > Chaos Blade > Uchi >>>>>>>> Washing Pole.
Eh, the Uchi swings faster and hits harder than the Iaito, and has a more useful strong attack. I don't see how it's trash tier. Hyperbole much?

And I've heard the Chaos blade is a bit pants.

NinjaBoiX

Make that shit chaos +5 and run with 10 active humanity. you won't regret it
I don't like that it saps your health, my vitality is low as hell anyway. And I can't hang on to humanity to save my life!

Plus I used Queelag's soul for levelling like an idiot.

I'll maybe get it on a NG+, but I happy with having the Uchi as the strongest standard katana and my fire Iaito as a back up.

I appreciate your constructive comments though, makes for more useful input than hyperbole and plain misinformation.

Edit: yeah, I meant R2 by strong attack. ;) I prefer the piercing lunge of the Uchi to the lunging slash of the Iaito.

I'm level 54 and farming in anor londo.

Thursday I'll find those codes and I can co-op it with you.

You are the perfect level for O&S and all bosses after, including DLC.

You can be summoned for any boss as many times as there are people to summon you.

You could just do O&S a few times if desired.

had him down to one last hit before, but fucked up on of the easiest dodges against him. xD

but I can't find it.

Did you aggro the first mage merchant that you save from the burg? For some silly reason if you do Dusk can't be summoned. Shrug.gesture

2AdEPT

I don't like that it saps your health, my vitality is low as hell anyway. And I can't hang on to humanity to save my life!

Plus I used Queelag's soul for levelling like an idiot.

I'll maybe get it on a NG+, but I happy with having the Uchi as the strongest standard katana and my fire Iaito as a back up.

I appreciate your constructive comments though, makes for more useful input than hyperbole and plain misinformation.

Edit: yeah, I meant R2 by strong attack. ;) I prefer the piercing lunge of the Uchi to the lunging slash of the Iaito.
and now to really confuse you......the washing pole is my favourite of them alll! The reach is more important to me than relatively minor squables on damage dps etc. Can any of the other options kill hellkite dragon with two r1's to the face (with darkmoon blade and 30 faith)? Not likely....dat reach!!!! Plus maybe only velka;s rapier has a better running r1. Its definiely the best "hybrid" sword in the game...sort of like suv's lol.

Plus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojirō

Man, amazon is going to let me down. Still no real assurance of release day delivery.

Guess I'll be getting it on the 12th instead of the 11th.

My local EB Games in Vancouver Canada is going to do a midnight release party for DS2 and Titanfall....should be getting my DS2 copy at midnight Mar 11th!!!!!

Deitus

but I can't find it.

Yeah, once you start the DLC (specifically after getting the broken pendant), Dusk disappears until you beat Manus. Elizabeth (Mushroom lady) sells all the same items she does, so you don't really miss out on much.

As for Crown of Dusk (and the rest of her gear), that should be in Darkroot Basin, near where you fought the Crystal Golem she was trapped in (and where you got pulled into Oolacile to start the DLC in the first place). It should still be there if you haven't gotten it already. It doesn't show up when you first save her, you have to quit and come back. Though I don't know how you would have missed it when you went to enter the DLC for the first time.

Edit: You may have to have summoned Dusk at least once from her sign to get the items to appear, which might explain how you missed it. I'm not actually sure. If that's the case, you are kind of screwed and have to beat Manus before you can get it.

mannerbot

How spoilery is the 'New Previews for DSII thread', y'all? Seems to be moving at quite a steady rate.

A lot of the posts go like this: posters 1-3 voice legitimate concerns about some of the changes in Dark Souls 2, poster 4-10 call them elitist and do the same old "OMG NO ONE IS PLAYING DARK SOULS RIGHT UNLESS THEY DO IT YOUR WAY WITH SL1 SPEEDRUN NO ESTUS," a few posters chime in when it's obvious that they haven't even finished the first game, a few assholes actually do make obnoxious comments, people go off on them... and repeat. There's a little bit of actual information as a few magazine articles have come out, VaatiVidya made some videos talking about it, and achievements/starting class stats/covenants have been leaked, but overall it's not very spoilery.

Chitown B

goals completed tonight:

got Very Large Ember
upgraded Claymore to +13 (need another chunk)
upgraded Quelaag's fire sword to +4
Killed Firesage Demon
Killed Demon Centipede
Upgraded last piece of Giant's Armor to +5
Opened Sanctuary Garden

NinjaBoiX

and now to really confuse you......the washing pole is my favourite of them alll! The reach is more important to me than relatively minor squables on damage dps etc. Can any of the other options kill hellkite dragon with two r1's to the face (with darkmoon blade and 30 faith)? Not likely....dat reach!!!! Plus maybe only velka;s rapier has a better running r1. Its definiely the best "hybrid" sword in the game...sort of like suv's lol.
Nice one, I always wondered what the deal was with that super long katana. Plus I just got 30 faith (faith/dex build) so I could use darkmoon blade.

Man, so much to do! I'm going to hammer this game over the weekend!

NinjaBoiX

Covenant question:

I'm currently with the Warrior of the Sunlight covenant for the lightning spear. I have given them three or four medals towards the grand lightning spear (you need 10 I think).

So if I leave the covenant for another (I fancy the darkmoon blade miracle) will it reset my sunlight medal tally? Will I have to start from scratch again?

mannerbot

Covenant question:

I'm currently with the Warrior of the Sunlight covenant for the lightning spear. I have given them three or four medals towards the grand lightning spear (you need 10 I think).

So if I leave the covenant for another (I fancy the darkmoon blade miracle) will it reset my sunlight medal tally? Will I have to start from scratch again?

I think it'll take away half of your current offerings. Either way, it's not a big deal since you haven't given very many Sunlight Medals so far. However, it's worth noting that you won't be able to use the Darkmoon Blade miracle if you're not in the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant, so you might want to get Great Lightning Spear first before leaving?

NinjaBoiX

I think it'll take away half of your current offerings. Either way, it's not a big deal since you haven't given very many Sunlight Medals so far. However, it's worth noting that you won't be able to use the Darkmoon Blade miracle if you're not in the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant, so you might want to get Great Lightning Spear first before leaving?
Oh right, so you mean I can use the great lightning spear wether I'm in the sunlight covenant or not, but you must be currently part of the darkmoon covenant to use the DM blade?

In that case, I'll hang on until I get enough sunlight medals to get the GLS miracle and then ditch those chumps!

Thanks.

spliced

Man I hope the online works better for DS2. I was doing some coop and I was doing terrible but It felt like the controller wasn't working or something but I just thought I was having an off day. Then I start to notice the group is all get kicked around pretty badly and the enemies are jumping all over the place, so I think I better play very conservatively so I put up my shield so I can protect myself from the lag hits I'm taking only to realize shields aren't even working, enemies are hitting me as if I don't have a shield up. This was easily the worst online issues I've had. On top of this there were summoning problems galore.

While this was the worst I've dealt with one issue I consistantly have is summons almost always fail when I get invaded.

Ferr986

Man I hope the online works better for DS2. I was doing some coop and I was doing terrible but It felt like the controller wasn't working or something but I just thought I was having an off day. Then I start to notice the group is all get kicked around pretty badly and the enemies are jumping all over the place, so I think I better play very conservatively so I put up my shield so I can protect myself from the lag hits I'm taking only to realize shields aren't even working, enemies are hitting me as if I don't have a shield up. This was easily the worst online issues I've had. On top of this there were summoning problems galore.

While this was the worst I've dealt with one issue I consistantly have is summons almost always fail when I get invaded.

It should, DS2 will have dedicated servers.

NinjaBoiX

I may be spamming questions today guys, I'm on a mission today!

When fighting Seath the Scaleless, do I break the sword thing at the back or not? I've been watching a few YT vids as I'm struggling, and some do, some don't.

What does breaking the sword at the back of the arena do?

Yup. Doomed forever.

I decided to have the crazy idea to do what I saw called a "Pure Black" run, where the game is set to NG+7, Black Phantoms permanently in every area, and on top of all the the hyper aggression mod.

You guys have NO IDEA how hard it is now to cross from the bonfire just above Andre to the elevator down to Firelink. NO FUCKING IDEA.
Also I started the run at SL5. I have +15 gear and have worked my way up to SL50 so far, but hot shit. It takes ten minutes of fighting 15 regular/BP Balder Knights, not to mention the BP Iron Tarkus, and then as soon as you finally DO step into the church, it starts raining zombies. Jeeeeez.

EDIT:

When fighting Seath the Scaleless, do I break the sword thing at the back or not? I've been watching a few YT vids as I'm struggling, and some do, some don't.

It allows you to hurt him. Literally you can't do anything to him until you've broken that. Otherwise, he just regenerates.

NinjaBoiX

(Quoting post for context on new page.)
It allows you to hurt him. Literally you can't do anything to him until you've broken that. Otherwise, he just regenerates.
Really? I just watched EpicNameBro kill him without breaking the sword. He just followed his right tail around the arena and hacked away.

Hmm...

Top Bottom