• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Seance

Banned
(Quoting post for context on new page.)

Really? I just watched EpicNameBro kill him without breaking the sword. He just followed his right tail around the arena and hacked away.

Hmm...

Eh? The crystal thing u mean? ENB probably had Seath destroy it with his breath attack.

mannerbot

(Quoting post for context on new page.)

Really? I just watched EpicNameBro kill him without breaking the sword. He just followed his right tail around the arena and hacked away.

Hmm...

The better way to do it is let Seath destroy it so that he's stunned while you're closing in on him. Were you watching the video muted or something? I'm sure ENB would've mentioned it.

NinjaBoiX

Ah, that explains it! Yeah, he did stand there a bit and let Seath did do his breath attack.

Nice one. Back to it then!

Edit: Done. Easy when you know how. ;)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I prefer the piercing lunge of the Uchi to the lunging slash of the Iaito.

I love you like a brother and it's of course each to their own but

217.gif

;P

Randam

Did you aggro the first mage merchant that you save from the burg? For some silly reason if you do Dusk can't be summoned. Shrug.gesture

he is dead. :D
does that really have anything to do with dusk showing up?

Yeah, once you start the DLC (specifically after getting the broken pendant), Dusk disappears until you beat Manus. Elizabeth (Mushroom lady) sells all the same items she does, so you don't really miss out on much.

As for Crown of Dusk (and the rest of her gear), that should be in Darkroot Basin, near where you fought the Crystal Golem she was trapped in (and where you got pulled into Oolacile to start the DLC in the first place). It should still be there if you haven't gotten it already. It doesn't show up when you first save her, you have to quit and come back. Though I don't know how you would have missed it when you went to enter the DLC for the first time.

Edit: You may have to have summoned Dusk at least once from her sign to get the items to appear, which might explain how you missed it. I'm not actually sure. If that's the case, you are kind of screwed and have to beat Manus before you can get it.

i went back to the basin, but there is nothing there.
i dont know if i summoned her and talk to her.

or maybe i killed her and/or dropped her stuff, because I thought I wont need it.

NinjaBoiX

No warp point in Blighttown? But three in Anor Londo? And one in the dead end of the Crystal Cave? WTF?

It's like From want people to hate that area!
I love you like a brother and it's of course each to their own but

217.gif

;P
Haha, choice gif broski. I do like the Iaito R2 against groups, but the Uchi stab is useful in close quarters, tight tunnels and such. I just find it's move set more varied useful. Well the R1 attacks are the same, but you know what I mean!

mannerbot

No warp point in Blighttown? But three in Anor Londo? And one in the dead end of the Crystal Cave? WTF?

It's like From want people to hate that area!

Haha, choice gif broski. I do like the Iaito R2 against groups, but the Uchi stab is useful in close quarters, tight tunnels and such. I just find it's move set more varied useful. Well the R1 attacks are the same, but you know what I mean!

There's a secret bonfire linked to the Chaos covenant in Quelaag's Domain. It's behind an illusory wall on the lower level.

NinjaBoiX

There's a secret bonfire linked to the Chaos covenant in Quelaag's Domain. It's behind an illusory wall on the lower level.
Haha, what a coincidence, I just found that one.

I was going to say, harsh sticks!

Ceaseless Discharge looks totally awesome, badass mofo.

M.D

Finally gave in and tried to summon someone for Four Kings, go human, no on there to summon lol

Anyone feeling like helping? I'm level 30, playing on PS3

Fevaweva

Just finished the game!

Manus
nor did
Nito
but
Gywn
did. Mainly the fact that almost as soon as you swig an estus flask, he runs in and stabs you before you can be fully healed by it.

Oh and I
linked the flame
because it seemed like the cool thing to do.

It took me 50 hours and 30 minutes and I was level 91 by the end.

Damn good game that. Maybe one of the best I have ever played.

Randam

Finally gave in and tried to summon someone for Four Kings, go human, no on there to summon lol

Anyone feeling like helping? I'm level 30, playing on PS3

put on the best and heaviest armor you got and tank them.
even on sl1 no problem.

rugioh

Banned
I just picked up the game and I'm going into it very blind, so I apologize in advance for asking dumb questions. The main question I have is I just got to firelink shrine and am carrying a bunch of souls, should I use them and level up as soon as I get them or save them? And is it possible to fuck up stat allocations or should I just wing it and try whatever feels right?

Randam

I just picked up the game and I'm going into it very blind, so I apologize in advance for asking dumb questions. The main question I have is I just got to firelink shrine and am carrying a bunch of souls, should I use them and level up as soon as I get them or save them? And is it possible to fuck up stat allocations or should I just wing it and try whatever feels right?

as long as you dont have access to a blacksmith, use your souls to level.
if you meet a merchant and he has something you want, maybe save some souls.

if you find a blacksmith and have chosen a weapon you like, buy as much material you can and level the weapons as high as you can.
if you cant level any higher for the moment(you need to find better embers first, to upgrade stuff to its max level), use the rest to level up.

and yes, you can fuck up your stats.

resistence can be ignored.

vitality and endurance is important.
endurance the most important i would say.
when you are good a dodging, you dont need many points in vitality.

for the rest: weapons scal with stats.
so check out with what stat your favorit weapon scals and level up those stats.

common builds are:

str
dex
quality (str and dex)
str/faith
dex/int

dex/faith
str/int

if you want to use magic/miracles/pyromancie you need a few points in attunement too.

dont level up all 4.
concentrat on two main ones.
and after you have reached 40 you dont get as much bonuses from that stat, when you level it up further than befor.
40 is a good point to stop and to concentrat on an other stat.

oracrest

There are no dumb questions. Dark souls is a difficult game with a surprisingly friendly community, so ask away. Most of us enjoy reading first time stories anyways.

If you can level up, you should. I would recommend winging stats. It's harder than it feels to really fuck up. Save really specific builds for later playthroughs. First time around just experiment, learn, and have fun. That's my best advice.

Edit: I generally save the "item" souls for emergency cases, or when I just need a few more than what I have to buy ores/upgrades at a blacksmith, or if I am just shy of leveling. The normal souls (at the bottom of the screen) I use pretty liberally, and don't fret about losing a lot of those. Your real world learning experience of the game itself is the most valuable thing you gain, and you never ever lose that.

NinjaBoiX

Ignore vitality as much as possible. It's basically a safety net if you aren't very good, it's an empty stat really. I'm only wearing the ninja suit with like 16 vitality and I've done alright, it's kind of a waste of souls IMO.

You want to pile it into offensive stuff, endurance (run and swing your sword for longer) dexterity or strength (one or the other really, up to a point) and faith or intelligence (again, one or the other, or neither if all you want to do is melee).

But yeah, only put points into vitality if you really feel you need to in my opinion.

Gorillaz

well depends on what you want to accomplish, it's easy to get fuck up stats we all did when we first started out. It makes it a learning process. The entire game (from boss battles to going through levels) is basically realizing you if you fucked up "here" doing whatever, to correct it and learn from it.

Well guide you tho if you want a little nudge, what class type are you going for?

JustinBB7

I just beat 4 king last night again on NG++, I still don't get why people say they are hard on NG+ I just used the good ol Jeff Green patented tank it and 2 hand strat. And got through them pretty easily, never even had 2 at once hitting me this time.

I guess it depends on the build and gear though.

rugioh

Banned
well depends on what you want to accomplish, it's easy to get fuck up stats we all did when we first started out. It makes it a learning process. The entire game (from boss battles to going through levels) is basically realizing you if you fucked up "here" doing whatever, to correct it and learn from it.

Well guide you tho if you want a little nudge, what class type are you going for?

I'm going for a strengthy type build, swording and boarding for the most part until I feel comfortable enough or strong enough to two-hand weapons without getting torn up as much. So I'm assuming a strength/dex build may be the way I want to go.

Gorillaz

I'm going for a strengthy type build, swording and boarding for the most part until I feel comfortable enough or strong enough to two-hand weapons without getting torn up as much. So I'm assuming a strength/dex build may be the way I want to go.

2 handing isn't that great in DS1, I mean there are weapons it works well with but it's something I'm glad is becoming it's own thing in DS2 (which will probably be the first class I pick).

If your going warrior/soldier/strength then the big 4 are Vitality, Strength, Endurance and Dex (for those big ass weapons that are twice your size). Those are the big ones. Atonement, Faith and intelligence are more for magic and pyro. You can have it "both ways" but imo it's better to be strong at one thing then to just be "decent" at everything build wise in DS

The thing is as your going through the game you might change up how you handle your strength build or maybe you want to mix and match or you see a hybrid build you like, so be careful with just dumping everything in stats without thinking about where you want to go with it.

rugioh

Banned
2 handing isn't that great in DS1, I mean there are weapons it works well with but it's something I'm glad is becoming it's own thing in DS2 (which will probably be the first class I pick).

If your going warrior/soldier/strength then the big 4 are Vitality, Strength, Endurance and Dex (for those big ass weapons that are twice your size). Those are the big ones. Atonement, Faith and intelligence are more for magic and pyro.

You can have it "both ways" but imo it's better to be strong at one thing then to just be "decent" at everything build wise in DS

Oh I see. So if I was going for a melee oriented build its kinda assumed its a 1hander-shield duo?

Randam

play for some time and check out different weapons.

strength weapons are extremly strong, but slow and ugly as hell(imo ^^).

Gorillaz

On my first time out the gate I went with a more agile type of warrior class. I need my movement/speed can't live without that. The pure strength builds can get a tad too slow and ugly tho lol

Oh I see. So if I was going for a melee oriented build its kinda assumed its a 1hander-shield duo?

well you can go 2 dual weapons or 2 hand a weapon as long as you have to stats for some of the big ones. But there are only a few good weapons that work hand and hand with each other. The movesets aren't anything special

NinjaBoiX

Rugioh, dex man. Dex, dex, dex!

Once you get the Uchigatana and Iaito you'll thank me.

;)

Light and nimble > tank too. Stay light mane.

Randam

well you can go 2 dual weapons or 2 hand a weapon as long as you have to stats for some of the big ones. But there are only a few good weapons that work hand and hand with each other. The movesets aren't anything special

2 handing(1 sword in 2 hands) isnt that bad.

but you have to be really good a dodging.

Mistel

Banned
I've found that 2 handing make bosses really easy as I can dodge and still dish out decent damage whilst taking hits. But generally exploring I vary between both single handed and two.

MG310

Making good progress on my 360 achievement run. Finished the 1st go around with 29/41...first time I managed to get Solaire to make it through to the end. Now to see if I can actually finish Siegmeyer's story for once.
I think the problem is I usually save Seath for last because I hate the Duke's Archives so by the time I get there I've taken his story too far to get Sieglinde's golem to appear.

Super Ornstein seems like the hardest thing that I have left to do.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I think I made a mistake…

I started a new character, a sorcerer, today. Figured it be a good idea to skip the Capra demon and the Depth and make a beeline for Queelag after defeating the Gargoyles. I had huge problems with Capra in my first run through, so skipping it and the Depth sounded like a great idea. And it was, except I'm woefully underpowered now! My spear took a measly 14 health points off Queelag and my spell only did 49 damage. Mildred turned out to be less than useful too. She usually just followed me without attacking Queelag or calmly stood in pools of lava. Fortunately, I did manage to summon a human player and he took care of Queelag, while I lend moral support and healed him once.

I now dread going to Sen's Fortress. The foes there could probably kill me with one or two hits and sneaking passed them might be difficult.

I could really do with a good weapon. Any ideas what might be good for a light character, with high intelligence stats? I heard Velka's Rapier is pretty good, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough to even get there.
What spells would you guys recommend? I have never really played as a caster. Only messed around with the Royal class in Demon's, but didn't take it very far since it was so overpowered.

Randam

I think I made a mistake…

I started a new character, a sorcerer, today. Figured it be a good idea to skip the Capra demon and the Depth and make a beeline for Queelag after defeating the Gargoyles. I had huge problems with Capra in my first run through, so skipping it and the Depth sounded like a great idea. And it was, except I'm woefully underpowered now! My spear took a measly 14 health points off Queelag and my spell only did 49 damage. Mildred turned out to be less than useful too. She usually just followed me without attacking Queelag or calmly stood in pools of lava. Fortunately, I did manage to summon a human player and he took care of Queelag, while I lend moral support and healed him once.

I now dread going to Sen's Fortress. The foes there could probably kill me with one or two hits and sneaking passed them might be difficult.

I could really do with a good weapon. Any ideas what might be good for a light character, with high intelligence stats? I heard Velka's Rapier is pretty good, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough to even get there.
What spells would you guys recommend? I have never really played as a caster. Only messed around with the Royal class in Demon's, but didn't take it very far since it was so overpowered.
lightning spear found in sen's. ;)

srsly: go kill the moonlight butterfly, hydra and maybe sif.
and or got through lower undead burg and the deeps and kill capra and the gaping dragon and collect the souls there.

NinjaBoiX

Fuck King Artorias:

Dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge, chip of a mm of health, dodge, dodge, dodge, heal,

Repeat until he's lost about a quarter of his bar over the course of a few minutes,

Eventually die.

Goddamn it!

I think I'm missing a trick, this fucker is harder than O&S.

Randam

Fuck King Artorias:

Dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge, chip of a mm of health, dodge, dodge, dodge, heal,

Repeat until he's lost about a quarter of his bar over the course of a few minutes,

Eventually die.

Goddamn it!

I think I'm missing a trick, this fucker is harder than O&S.

what level are you?

I beat him with 8 great combustions yesterday.
level 1 with hypermode, without crown of dusk.

NinjaBoiX

what level are you?

I beat him with 8 great combustions yesterday.
level 1 with hypermode, without crown of dusk.
I should be totally OP, I suck so I'm at level 60 odd, maybe even 70 (I just rage quit so I can't check), but I just can't beat him!

All I can manage to get off attack wise is one measly lunging stab after his jump attack, he just moves too quickly.

Any tips?

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
lightning spear found in sen's. ;)

srsly: go kill the moonlight butterfly, hydra and maybe sif.
and or got through lower undead burg and the deeps and kill capra and the gaping dragon and collect the souls there.

Yeah, I probably should do that before going to Sen's . The butterfly should be easy enough. Not sure about the hydra. I probably run out of spells before I reach it. Oh well, soul farming time!

I should be totally OP, I suck so I'm at level 60 odd, maybe even 70 (I just rage quit so I can't check), but I just can't beat him!

All I can manage to get off attack wise is one measly lunging stab after his jump attack, he just moves too quickly.

Any tips?

At SL5 I was managing about 60 points of health when shooting him with a composite bow, which while good for bows, is horrible damage wise compared to most anything. What weapon are you using?

Randam

Any tips?

balder shield +15.

lets you block all of his attacks.
and then somethin that is quick and hurts.

you really need to be patient.
there are a few moments, when you can hit him and raise your shield to block his attack.

ie his big jump attack.
and try to stop his powering up animation.

NinjaBoiX

At SL5 I was managing about 60 points of health when shooting him with a composite bow, which while good for bows, is horrible damage wise compared to most anything. What weapon are you using?
Uchi +10 with 30 dex.
balder shield +15.

lets you block all of his attacks.
and then somethin that is quick and hurts.

you really need to be patient.
there are a few moments, when you can hit him and raise your shield to block his attack.

ie his big jump attack.
and try to stop his powering up animation.
I'm using the silver knights shield +2 at the minute. It's not a problem of weak defense, I just struggle to find a window to hit him.

It doesn't seem impossible, just damn difficult! I might use power within and double hand my Uchi, that might help.

Taking a break at the mo, I'll get back to it.

Randam

Uchi +10 with 30 dex.

I'm using the silver knights shield +2 at the minute. It's not a problem of weak defense, I just struggle to find a window to hit him.

It doesn't seem impossible, just damn difficult! I might use power within and double hand my Uchi, that might help.

Taking a break at the mo, I'll get back to it.

yeah, he only has a few moments, he is vulnerable.
and the biggest problem is to wait for those moments.
died so many times, because I attacked him in the wrong moments.

and try R2 jump attacks, after you dodge his moves and he is vulnerable.

NinjaBoiX

yeah, he only has a few moments, he is vulnerable.
and the biggest problem is to wait for those moments.
died so many times, because I attacked him in the wrong moments.

and try R2 jump attacks, after you dodge his moves and he is vulnerable.
Yeah, I was doing the jumping attack when I had the chance, but I was only doing around 160 damage. I might try a bow, I have the Pharis up to +8 and a bunch of large arrows.

H3X, you succeeded using a bow right? I guess it's worth a shot!

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know how I get on.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
H3X, you succeeded using a bow right? I guess it's worth a shot!

I see what you did there.

Best boss battle in the game in my opinion. Absolutely nail biting throughout. Not sure how I even beat him.

...and Ninj? Artorias isn't even the hardest one in the DLC... *gulp*

NinjaBoiX

I see what you did there.

Best boss battle in the game in my opinion. Absolutely nail biting throughout. Not sure how I even beat him.

...and Ninj? Artorias isn't even the hardest one in the DLC... *gulp*
w1EBA.gif

I've for it in my head that I'll somehow be able to do it with my Pharis +8 and large arrows.

Yeah, we'll see how that goes...

DDDD:

I started playing Dark Souls for the first time this week. It is my first souls game and I can't believe how good is. I love it.
Trying to explore things myself without getting help from people or looking things up. I know that I might make a lot of mistakes but it doesn't matter. However I'm really glad I gave this game a chance.

w1EBA.gif

I've for it in my head that I'll somehow be able to do it with my Pharis +8 and large arrows.

Yeah, we'll see how that goes...

DDDD:

Absolutely need Composite bow. Pharis bow is the slowest non-Greatbow, you won't get very far with that. Composite bow and Darkwood Grain ring will make him an easy fight, once you get adjusted to the bow fighting style.

In general, if you're within lock on range, the Composite bow will be both the fastest and hardest hitting bow, given the same upgrades. It actually can outdamage the Greatbows, but those have their own advantage of knocking people flat on their ass, which the composite bow most certainly cannot do. I literally for a while used nothing but bows, I literally ran around with 3 bows equipped, they all have their niche, but 3 of them stand out especially. The composite bow is basically the "combat bow", it's great for when you're actually fighting someone, but with Large arrows (the heaviest hitting ones), you'll find that the range drop off is sharp. The Pharis bow is my go-to sniping bow -- the longest range by far, and with the Hawk ring you'll find yourself actually having to aim right of enemies at times, instead of the usual left. It's slow, but it carries the same arrow damage over a very good distance. The Greatbow are the "Back the fuck off" bow -- slowest bows by far, but in PvP (I admit I'm not stellar) this one actually finds the most use because as soon as someone opens up to attack you, you just let go and knock them flat on their ass. You need some poise to pull it off, but it's very good at what it does.
EDIT: Also you should really shoot for +14. You can farm chunks in New Anor Londo off the Darkwraiths.

Gorillaz

I started playing Dark Souls for the first time this week. It is my first souls game and I can't believe how good is. I love it.
Trying to explore things myself without getting help from people or looking things up. I know that I might make a lot of mistakes but it doesn't matter. However I'm really glad I gave this game a chance.

Don't kill yourself over things that take you like weeks to months to pass. If you need ask some of the people here or youtube it

glad your liking it, have fun

NinjaBoiX

Dark Souls...

o1FGOWB.jpg

It just feels cheap at times man, super fucking cheap. Cheap wonky hit detection, cheap shitty ass camera, cheap awkward to traverse environments, cheap ass fucking enemy attacks clipping through walls, urgh. New Londo's bum rushing, wall passing, stun locking ghosts have finally broken my resolve. It's just too much, I can't take it anymore!

(This may just be the anger talking, it's fantastic in a lot of ways and I may be back, but seriously, fuck this game. I need a break.)

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, the ghosts in New Londo are pretty shite.
It's one enemy I'll give a pass to for the clipping thing, 'cos you know, they're ghosts innit.

But silver knights hitting you with a spear straight through a solid brick wall? Nah.

Those massive knights with the halberds who's attacks swing straight through a solid 5ft thick pillar yet strike a fleshy human? Nah.

Smough's hammer having zero effect on Ornstein when he swings it straight through him like a ghost? Nah.

Just a few examples off the top of my head, but the game doesn't seem to be able to decide what it's own rules are, the internal logic is all screwed up.

Wonderfully designed, utterly compelling and immensely rewarding, but cheap, nonsensical and hugely frustrating at the same time.

Thanks for all the help guys, I had a blast, and I may be back sometime down the road, but for now I've had enough. I need to play something that doesn't make me want to put my fist through the TV!

Peace.

Chitown B

while true, that's basically Demon Ruins, not Blighttown.

beat the Four Kings, which was laughably easy - however they were annoying because their hitboxes were so messed up. It would look like you were right next to them, then you lunge and you're nowhere near them. Lots of swing and a miss.

down to Lost Izalith. This place is empty. I did die though because of falling down to a bonfire where one of those easy fire breathers was and they stunlocked me.

Top Bottom