• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
7bQQnZ0.jpg
Well done :) I did it in my second solo attempt of the pair I do like the set of favor. Is it bad that I enjoyed Smough killing Ornstein?

Chitown B

killed Sanctuary Guardian. Was much easier with the rusted iron ring.

FFFFF the slowdown. I hope the coders do better for DS2. It's terrible to lose a fight due to FPS.

Seance

Banned
Dark Souls...

o1FGOWB.jpg

It just feels cheap at times man, super fucking cheap. Cheap wonky hit detection, cheap shitty ass camera, cheap awkward to traverse environments, cheap ass fucking enemy attacks clipping through walls, urgh. New Londo's bum rushing, wall passing, stun locking ghosts have finally broken my resolve. It's just too much, I can't take it anymore!

(This may just be the anger talking, it's fantastic in a lot of ways and I may be back, but seriously, fuck this game. I need a break.)

You think?

NinjaBoiX

Yeah Divius, I probably will be at some point. Can't keep away! And yeah, that ghost house was the straw that broke the camels back.
RIP NinjaBoiX

*gone casul 3/1/2014*

D Souls took another soul

#Prayforninja

Poor Ninja went hollow :(
Haha, I just couldn't hack the pressure! I'll go play some Nintendogs or something. ;)
Aw man right after I got done teaching them about how to use a bow.
Don't make me feel bad man, I've already thrown countless hours down the drain! Well, not really, I did have fun.

Anyway, I may be back at some point, but I'll just resent he game if I continue playing right now, it's really got my back up at the minute.

But as I say, you guys have been loads of help, this is a great community. I appreciate all the advice, it's just a shame it didn't take me to the credits.

Not yet anyway...

You think?
Lol, because you've proved yourself to be the model of level-headed composure with regards to this thread eh?

I stand by my comments. And to be fair, I also commented on how well designed and compelling the game can be.

I think I made a mistake…

I started a new character, a sorcerer, today. Figured it be a good idea to skip the Capra demon and the Depth and make a beeline for Queelag after defeating the Gargoyles. I had huge problems with Capra in my first run through, so skipping it and the Depth sounded like a great idea. And it was, except I'm woefully underpowered now! My spear took a measly 14 health points off Queelag and my spell only did 49 damage. Mildred turned out to be less than useful too. She usually just followed me without attacking Queelag or calmly stood in pools of lava. Fortunately, I did manage to summon a human player and he took care of Queelag, while I lend moral support and healed him once.

I now dread going to Sen's Fortress. The foes there could probably kill me with one or two hits and sneaking passed them might be difficult.

I could really do with a good weapon. Any ideas what might be good for a light character, with high intelligence stats? I heard Velka's Rapier is pretty good, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough to even get there.
What spells would you guys recommend? I have never really played as a caster. Only messed around with the Royal class in Demon's, but didn't take it very far since it was so overpowered.

Kill the hydra so you can free Dusk. With her crown, the oolacile catalyst and the dragon ring you have great offensive power. The great soul arrow is strong enough for pre lordvessel areas. Buy an extra copy from Big Hat as well. You might also get an enchanted weapon, I liked the short swird. Your spells are pretty poweful though, probably a bit overpowered.

Randam

am I the only one with massiv problems with jumps on the PC version?

I cant make the jump to get to the crow at fire link.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Had an interesting experience today in Sen's Fortress. I was invaded while making my way towards the boulder apparatus. He got there first and I could hear him moving the lever. The strange thing was that on a couple of occasions, two boulders would come rolling down, one immediately following the other. How is that possible?

He was wearing Smough's armor and wielding two Smough's Hammers. He seemed nice enough, though. I waved at him and started running for my life. I guess he was too slow to make it through the swinging blades, because I heard the sound of a phantom getting hit and then I received a goodly number of souls a few seconds later.

I don't have the PC version, but I believe for certain jumps and ladder drops, you need to reduce your framerate to 30. I think there's a hotkey for doing that with DSfix.

Deitus

Yeah Divius, I probably will be at some point. Can't keep away! And yeah, that ghost house was the straw that broke the camels back.

Haha, I just couldn't hack the pressure! I'll go play some Nintendogs or something. ;)

Don't make me feel bad man, I've already thrown countless hours down the drain! Well, not really, I did have fun.

Anyway, I may be back at some point, but I'll just resent he game if I continue playing right now, it's really got my back up at the minute.

But as I say, you guys have been loads of help, this is a great community. I appreciate all the advice, it's just a shame it didn't take me to the credits.

Not yet anyway...

No need to feel bad about putting the game down for a while. It's easy to be your own worst enemy in a game like this. Repeated failures lead to frustration, and frustration causes you to make mistakes, which leads to more failure and more frustration. It's a vicious cycle. The best thing to do is when you don't feel like playing, just turn the game off, sleep on it, and come back to it the next day. Or sometimes a single day isn't quite enough distance; it really depends on the person and the situation.

The important thing is not to force yourself to play when you aren't enjoying it out of some sense of obligation. That's not a fun way to play, and it's generally not an effective way to make progress.

I hope you do come back to it at some point though, because it is a very rewarding game, and I'm sure you want to experience all of it some day. Even if the latter parts of the game are a bit weaker than the early parts, they are still worth seeing. And if you've made it as far as you have, I have no doubt you can finish the rest without too much trouble.

Maybe try rolling instead. It still won't get you over certain gaps, but you can definitely get to the crows nest by rolling.

I'm not sure what may be giving you trouble with jumping though, you aren't using keyboard controls are you?

He likely just needs to turn 60fps off. Even with the ninja flipping shit going on you'll have a huge headache making that jump at higher fps. Also, the Iaito jump is possible at 60.

spliced

Welllll only the 'scary ghost house' (where Ingward stands on the roof) can be a giant pain in the ass, especially when you have little/no poise.

It wrecked me the first time through. Now I go to the entrance and wait a bit and run back up the stairs and 2 follow me. Then I go back to the entrance and range attack the 3 on the left. Only then do I enter the building. Although if I have a really weak character I pull more out. The tricky thing is that the curse often wears off soon after getting to the house, that got me a few times.

Dark Souls...

It just feels cheap at times man, super fucking cheap. Cheap wonky hit detection, cheap shitty ass camera, cheap awkward to traverse environments, cheap ass fucking enemy attacks clipping through walls, urgh. New Londo's bum rushing, wall passing, stun locking ghosts have finally broken my resolve. It's just too much, I can't take it anymore!

(This may just be the anger talking, it's fantastic in a lot of ways and I may be back, but seriously, fuck this game. I need a break.)

AHAHAHAHA

I actually take a loooong break after blightown ( I entered from the drake valler part), light the bondfire there and screw it dont worry, take your time and finish the game someday. its worth it =)

Randam

I don't have the PC version, but I believe for certain jumps and ladder drops, you need to reduce your framerate to 30. I think there's a hotkey for doing that with DSfix.

okay, then it is the framerate.

Maybe try rolling instead. It still won't get you over certain gaps, but you can definitely get to the crows nest by rolling.

I'm not sure what may be giving you trouble with jumping though, you aren't using keyboard controls are you?

the roll doesnt work at all.

somebody know what key that is?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Had an interesting experience today in Sen's Fortress. I was invaded while making my way towards the boulder apparatus. He got there first and I could hear him moving the lever. The strange thing was that on a couple of occasions, two boulders would come rolling down, one immediately following the other. How is that possible?
I've only ever seen that in coop, but yeah with phantoms sometimes there are two boulders for some reason. Not sure if it's a glitch or just From loltrolling us again.

Mistel

Banned
He was wearing Smough's armor and wielding two Smough's Hammers. He seemed nice enough, though. I waved at him and started running for my life. I guess he was too slow to make it through the swinging blades, because I heard the sound of a phantom getting hit and then I received a goodly number of souls a few seconds later.
They must have put a lot of points in strength for that hammer. They have an equip load of nearly 100, no wonder they were slow...

Deitus

So I'm Soul Level 96, and I decided I'm going to stop leveling at 100. I already have more than enough souls to get there, I'm just trying to decide whether to spend my last 4 points on Vitality or Endurance.

In the meantime, it feels weird walking around with 1 million souls and having nothing to spend them on. I get nervous that I'm going to lose such a crazy amount of souls, but if I have nothing to spend them on it probably wouldn't be a big loss really.

Edit: First world problems :p

Chitown B

Thats the point.

worst. boss. ever. it's not even hard, it's just total luck. I just got two branches from the heart and then got blasted to death with fire. No way to block that and I didn't have enough stamina to roll any more.

edit: when you post you can't do something, you get it next try. I donned the gold hemmed black robes so I fast rolled. Helped a ton, got there and killed that thing in the nick of time.

I was saving up to get the item that opens the forest door (it costs 20,000 souls). I died with 17,000 souls, and then died trying to get back to restore.

Now I have a good 2 hours of grinding ahead of me. Ugh. That really took the wind out of my sails.

spliced

I was saving up to get the item that opens the forest door (it costs 20,000 souls). I died with 17,000 souls, and then died trying to get back to restore.

Now I have a good 2 hours of grinding ahead of me. Ugh. That really took the wind out of my sails.

If you have a ring of sacrifice you can wear it after you die and it'll keep your blood stain if you are wearing it and die again.

The stone guardians in the area next to the door give pretty good amount of souls. You can also shoot the trees lodged in the ground with an arrow first so you only have to take on one guy at a time.

Prototype

I've been playing through the game again in anticipation of DS2 and had a question. I killed Shiva of the East and forgot that he becomes a vendor in Blight Town later, where he sells the washing pole. Is there another way to get one, or did I screw it all up? Haven't played the game in over a year and don't remember everything.

edit: @NinjaBoiX

I understand your frustration. There are some areas like the Great Hollow tree where the branches/paths don't line up correctly due to bad level geometry and it's frustrating to fall to your doom because you character slid off a branch, even though it's where you are supposed to be going. There are other examples like this, but I feel that particular area is the most prominent one. The game can certainly be outright cheap at times, regardless of the pedestal that some people put it on. You just have to learn to accept it lol.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Kill the hydra so you can free Dusk. With her crown, the oolacile catalyst and the dragon ring you have great offensive power. The great soul arrow is strong enough for pre lordvessel areas. Buy an extra copy from Big Hat as well. You might also get an enchanted weapon, I liked the short swird. Your spells are pretty poweful though, probably a bit overpowered.

Thanks, I'll give that a try today. Might have to do some farming to be able to afford the great soul arrow.

I grinded for souls down in that area with the iron/stone knight guys. Just kill the three single ones (don't mess with the pair, they'll slow you down), run back to the bonfire, and repeat. It doesn't take long, and I did it long before I should have been in that area.

Continuing from my last post~

waded around through the forest and found Sif! He was actually one of the harder boss battles I had up to this point, but it only took me about four tries before I was able to best him. Really fun boss fight.
Then, I made my way over to the hydra... so disappointing compared to the first one I fought. I was cutting heads off in one or two strikes.

Ran down into the skeleton area by Firelink and cleared it out rather easily as well. I found a really rad blacksmith skeleton with a pickaxe, killed a boss, found a skeleton lantern, got the rite of kindling, and got a father mask. It was a productive run!
I also climbed into a coffin and was transported into a room with a covenant skeleton casket thing. It was super freaky, so I promptly got the heck out of dodge.

I did a little humanity farming whilst on the phone to a friend, and I fed my chaos servant lady covenant person... Let's see, I also finally got around to killing the Hellkite dragon. It wasn't so bad once I ran past him into the room under his feet, for some reason.

Last thing I did was head back to that painting at Anor Londo. Seems as though there is work to be done here! Also, those toxic guys suck. Status ailment enemies are always my least favorite enemies in any game, and these prove to be no exception.

So I'm Soul Level 96, and I decided I'm going to stop leveling at 100. I already have more than enough souls to get there, I'm just trying to decide whether to spend my last 4 points on Vitality or Endurance.

In the meantime, it feels weird walking around with 1 million souls and having nothing to spend them on. I get nervous that I'm going to lose such a crazy amount of souls, but if I have nothing to spend them on it probably wouldn't be a big loss really.

I'm lvl 125 and walk around with 20 million souls (I don't even know what to spend them on). Die often too. The trick is to never die twice in a row so if your going to die, know that you can get there safely.

Its one of the reasons I am not doing the Bed of Chaos fight since its easy to die in an awkward place where its difficult to get your souls.

Dhuie

Neo Member
@ Typographenia

I loved the Painted World of Ariamis, hope you enjoy as much as i did.

2 things regarding that place
You need the Peculiar Doll located in the Northern Undead Asylum to enter and once you do enter you cant leave by back tracking, you'll need to push forwards but i'm guessing you already new these things.

Soriku

Ehh I lost 4.6 million souls and I didn't even care.

I finished my INT build playthrough today. Beat Bed of Chaos (via shortcut) on my second try. I only died once because I missed the lower branch I was supposed to fall onto. None of the sweeping arm attacks even hit me on either try!

After that, I ran thru the Catacombs and Tomb of Giants. Nito was a real pushover. He ate my Crystal Soul Spears and Crystal Soulmass and went down quickly.

Finally, I had all the Lord Souls needed to access the Kiln. Gwynn was pretty aggressive so I couldn't use most of my sorceries. I ended up using a combination of parries and Crystal Soulmass. It took me a handful of tries, but I did it. Praise the Sun!

My stats:
Level 72
VIT 18
END 24
ATT 18
STR 12
DEX 22
INT 44

Gear:
Logan's Catalyst
Enchanted BSS +4
Heater Shield +9
Crown of Dusk
Sage Robes +5
Black Leather Gauntlets + 9
Hollow Soldier Waistcloth +9
Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring
Dark Wood Grain Ring

This was my first time playing an INT character, and I didn't really like it so much. I much more prefer melee builds, not that I didnt use melee with this build, but I tended to cast more sorceries instead. And I kept my equip weight low enough for the ninja flips, which helped a lot. I think Duke's Archives was the toughest area for me; I died a lot to those damned archers. The 30 humanity to skip most of Lost Izalith was worth it; I really hate that area. For this playthrough, the easiest bosses were Nito and Kalameet. Toughest were Gwynn and Artorias.

killed Sanctuary Guardian. Was much easier with the rusted iron ring.
The rusted iron ring isn't needed in that area, the water doesn't slow you down. One of my favourite boss fights though. :)

I just decided not to give a fuck about New Londo Ruins. That place wasn't fun or challenging. Just a goddamn nightmare.
The ghosts hate fire btw.

I noticed some talk about Ingward's ghost house in the middle, I always do NL early and the way I deal with it is to run through (or past) the house - straight in and out to the bottom of the stairs that go up to the roof - the walkway that leads to the seal, lift and composite bow - if you run straight through and turn around you'll notice about 8 ghosts have followed you. From here you can kill them all, go on the roof to kill three more up there. The path to Ingward is now clear except for the screaming ghost and one other that pops up in the ladder room.

There's a couple left in passageways of the house, but you won't get ambushed in the main rooms or up the ladder. One in the wall on the way to the soul item, one follows you when you pick up the soul item and one where the cursebite ring is, and all of those only aggro when you go near them. I've done this run dozens of times and killed every ghost in the whole of New Londo on only one transient curse cast on the wooden bridge right at the start with a fire weapon or 2x combustion.

Once you're no longer fighting 10 ghosts inside the house, New Londo is no problem at all (and I've had my fair share of deaths in that room trying to take them out in there). You can also just bop Ingward with poison arrows, magic or consumables from the first steps down and just run through to the seal. :)

For me, New Londo is - hands down - the most dreadful and frightening place in the entire Souls Series. Latria et al. kneel before it.

Sure, this could be largely due to DkS being my first Souls game and hence, having more of an impact on me, but no other area has made me want to get the fuck out faster; 'tis the closest I've ever come to feeling physically nauseous from a video game.

Randam

and it happend: started a new character with agression mad active, helped someone fight gaping dragon and I got stuck in his spit and now my main weapon is broken.

if only this was dark souls 2 were I could warp back to a blacksmith..

Deitus

and it happend: started a new character with agression mad active, helped someone fight gaping dragon and I got stuck in his spit and now my main weapon is broken.

if only this was dark souls 2 were I could warp back to a blacksmith..

If you are in the depths, it should be pretty easy to get back to the blacksmith (assuming you didn't forget to activate the elevator shortcut). Just equip whatever you have in your inventory that will help you kill the handful of dogs and hollows in the first room of the depths. If this happened in Blighttown that would be a bit of a different story.

But that's why you should always get the repairbox (and smithbox too), so that you don't have to trek all the way across the game world every time you run into trouble.

Randam

If you are in the depths, it should be pretty easy to get back to the blacksmith (assuming you didn't forget to activate the elevator shortcut). Just equip whatever you have in your inventory that will help you kill the handful of dogs and hollows in the first room of the depths. If this happened in Blighttown that would be a bit of a different story.

But that's why you should always get the repairbox (and smithbox too), so that you don't have to trek all the way across the game world every time you run into trouble.
i got a bunch of soul arrows.

and yeah. didnt have the money to buy the boxes.

btw.: the part about dark souls 2 and warping wasn't meant seriously.
you wont get experiences like this in dark souls 2, which I find disappointing.

Deitus

btw.: the part about dark souls 2 and warping wasn't meant seriously.
you wont get experiences like this in dark souls 2, which I find disappointing.

I was just going to let the warping comment lie, because I didn't want to rehash the arguments from the DS 2 preview thread.

But I agree, there are very specific (and awesome) experiences you get in Dark Souls that you wouldn't have been able to have if warping were unlocked from the start. I remember my first time in Blighttown, and the feeling of being (seemingly) miles away from any kind of safe haven. The atmosphere was completely oppressive, and as far as I knew there was no escape until I cleared the area (I didn't find the really quick shortcut back to Firelink until after I beat Quelaag). If I could have just warped out, a lot of that tension would have been lost.

I do hope that if moments like that are not possible in DS2, they at least find a suitable replacement.

I tried doing mega Ornstein and that was just not happening at all I just did Smough well done for doing it though.

:lol same here

i just gave up on mega stuffed oreos and decided to do mega stuffed smores instead

where are you at right now? i'm at the dukes archives making my way to seath :D

Mistel

Banned
Where are you at right now? i'm at the dukes archives making my way to seath :D
I'm farming for stuff as you have already been to the catacombs (you had a mask of the mother that comes from him in your photo) and murdered pinwheel so you're ahead of me. I want to get paladin leeory's stuff also.

I'm farming for stuff as you have already been to the catacombs (you had a mask of the mother that comes from him in your photo) and murdered pinwheel so you're ahead of me. I want to get paladin leeory's stuff also.

cool. im also farming for souls right now :p

might try sif later

you fight him yet?

For me, New Londo is - hands down - the most dreadful and frightening place in the entire Souls Series. Latria et al. kneel before it.

Sure, this could be largely due to DkS being my first Souls game and hence, having more of an impact on me, but no other area has made me want to get the fuck out faster; 'tis the closest I've ever come to feeling physically nauseous from a video game.

It's the Depths for me, Cannibals, Slime and those godawful curse frogs.

Top Bottom