• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

wow sif was easy. first try too. Just stayed under her(?) and dodging her attacks was beyond easy, even in my havels set.

quelaags sword was helpful too.

stormtrooper: this should be a breeze for you

Nerokis

I have never once in my entire play experience of Dark Souls been cursed. :/ Ever. I don't even know what it looks like.

Not even against Seath? That was my first (and only) time.

wow sif was easy. first try too. Just stayed under her(?) and dodging her attacks was beyond easy, even in my havels set.

quelaags sword was helpful too.

stormtrooper: this should be a breeze for you

I fought Sif pretty early into the game (hadn't even killed Quelaag yet), and man, that fight was absolute magic. In terms of difficulty, yeah, it's completely trivialized if you stay under him, but otherwise his movements are pretty impressive and can definitely be brutal.

Don't worry I plan on it.

In other news, I'm contemplating whether or not I'm going to attempt running to the Capra demon again. Getting one shot by a BP Thief's throwing knife sucks. :/

Gorillaz

Getting cursed in Dark Souls was probably the first time the game actually instilled some fear of the unknown to me. Anytime I saw a new enemy after frogs I always kept my distance and saw what it's attack were first.

I hate the depths. I really do.

Nerokis

I got cursed once in the Depths, I felt so miserable but it is an important part of the Dark Souls experience.

I actually regret not getting cursed in the Depths. Miyazaki mentioned in an interview that they tried to implement curses in a unique way, where getting rid of the curse actually had a sense of adventure. That moment when you die, and suddenly your HP is halved, was supposed to be a significant one. That really only applies in the Depths and maybe The Great Hollow, though, since otherwise you'll have an excess of purging stones by the time you're finally cursed.

Seriously, the curse frogs are such great enemies. I was really taken aback when I first turned a corner and stumbled upon one, but I never realized their potential to so affect your playthrough.

Getting cursed for the in Dark Souls was probably the first time the game actually instilled some fear of the unknown to me. Anytime I saw an new enemy after frogs I always kept my distance and saw what it's attack were first.

Exactly!

PatzCU

Solo'd O&S FINALLY! I was stuck at those two bastards for over a week, just trying 3-6 attempts per night. I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to summoning help, but I just don't want to be invaded and hacked. Going to play through the entire game Hollow and hopefully the hacking issues don't persist in DS2.

Deitus

I have never once in my entire play experience of Dark Souls been cursed. :/ Ever. I don't even know what it looks like.

Neither have I. I was watching a video once and I thought the guy had modded his game to change the look of his UI. It was only later in the video when he mentioned that he was cursed that I realized that what happens when you get cursed.

Here's what it looks like by the way:
Cursed_Effect.jpg

Edit: Only Kalameet and Manus left in my current NG+ playthrough (and Gwyn of course). This is going to be a rough day.

Gorillaz

I mean it definitely is an..."adventure" to fix the curse especially without the lord vessel. It's like a filler/side episode of a show before a big moment (basically the boss battle)

Ferr986

You lucky. I got cursed on The Depths on my first playthough. I didnt even know why the fuck my Hp got halved lol

I actually regret not getting cursed in the Depths. Miyazaki mentioned in an interview that they tried to implement curses in a unique way, where getting rid of the curse actually had a sense of adventure. That moment when you die, and suddenly your HP is halved, was supposed to be a significant one. That really only applies in the Depths and maybe The Great Hollow, though, since otherwise you'll have an excess of purging stones by the time you're finally cursed.

I love how you can see those crystalized statues of players that got cursed

Gorillaz

You lucky. I got cursed on The Depths on my first playthough. I didnt even know why the fuck my Hp got halved lol

I love how you can see those crystalized statues of players that got cursed

are those just normal ones or are they kind of like real time other people who got crystallized? because that would be crazy if that was real time other players getting cursed

Mistel

Banned
Sif, hydra and butterfly dead and later with scheming meat co-op we got to the teleport coffin and I got a nice sword.

I just stabbed the frog in the face without it doing anything.

Continuing my fruitful journey...

I mastered the painted world! Those horrible gooey guys with shields were the pits, but once I opened up that front gate, the world was a breeze. I killed the giant dragon, killed an npc invader guy, and pretty sure I picked the place bone dry of items. It was super maze-like, so I'm not absolutely certain... But pretty sure.

I let the fuzzy lady live. I disagree that her land is peaceful, but she was asking me politely to leave. Who am I to be rude and just kill some tall lady holding a scythe for the heck of it? If I felt I really needed the souls, I might have, but I'm doing okay. Got out of there, and wandered off to New Londo.

Holy cow, I'm so glad I found that lantern on the guy with the skeletons last time. This place is so dark! Really creepy when the water levels dropped and there were bodies just everywhere. Found the last ember I needed to upgrade my Claymore to +15 (so I did), and I raised my Grass Crest Shield up to +13. I was feeling pretty good about myself walking through the dark, stabbing weirdos, and collecting lots of cool items until the electric dragons in front of Valley of the Drakes tore me a new one. Also, the hints people wrote in this area were legitimately a HUGE help. Really nice. : )

I decided to just give the white fog/boss area a go. The four kings kicked my butt the first try, but second try I decided to go all Havel, two handing my claymore with the grass crest shield on my back. It wasn't too bad!

Primordial Serpeant Caathe or something showed up, and he told me that I am the son of that guy from the opening movie or something. I'm supposed to do what my dad would have wanted and bring about the age of dark! I told him I'd pass for now, and warped back to Firelink (had forgotten all about talking to Frampt, haha). He took me to kindle the LordVessel, so I did.

Ran around tying up some loose ends at Sen's Fortress (killed those headless guys down in the basement), killed the big dragon in Valley of the Drakes, and what not. I quit out at Anor Londo, ready to go check out what was behind that big, glowy door!

Man, I love this game. It might be my favorite game from the past generation now.

pretty sure I picked the place bone dry of items. It was super maze-like, so I'm not absolutely certain... But pretty sure.
There is one
consumable soul
item a lot of people miss. It's in a tiny little alcove left side of the door where all the shield/spear holding phalanx of "gooey guys" are. Pointed loads of people to in co-op who didn't know about it :)

I always assumed the Painted World really is peaceful, just that people who aren't part of the painting shouldn't be in it, and you're disturbing them.

Even if wheel skeletons are completely irredeemable and relentless bastards.

hohoXD123

So Kalameet on NG+ has been driving me completely insane, can't count how many times I've died. The upside is that I know all of his moves and how best to dodge them, but I still can't tell when he is doing his telekinesis or when he is doing his short-range fire attack in time to avoid, plus it's difficult to tell whether I need to roll forward or backward when he does his short-range fire attack. Any tips on how I can make this fight any easier? Have the Greatshield of Artorias +5 and a Black Knight Sword +5. I've managed to get him down to 1/10th max health but when he is low on health he starts being even more bastardly than before.

JustinBB7

So Kalameet on NG+ has been driving me completely insane, can't count how many times I've died. The upside is that I know all of his moves and how best to dodge them, but I still can't tell when he is doing his telekinesis or when he is doing his short-range fire attack in time to avoid, plus it's difficult to tell whether I need to roll forward or backward when he does his short-range fire attack. Any tips on how I can make this fight any easier? Have the Greatshield of Artorias +5 and a Black Knight Sword +5. I've managed to get him down to 1/10th max health but when he is low on health he starts being even more bastardly than before.

I just beat him again on NG++, got his tail too, and am using the same shield haha. Just learn his patterns, he can barely damage you unless you fuck up. The main problem is he doesn't have that many openings, and a ton of hp, so you really need patience. Best times to strike is when he does his double headbutt, and when he does a breathe fire from left to right, just run to his head then.

Patience is the main key for him I think, because of the HP thing and no openings. He has even more HP on NG++, it's doable. Specially with that shield.

An-Det

Really busy day for me, spending almost all of my Sunday playing the game (first time playing it). After I beat O+S two weeks ago I took a short break, only returning to the Asylum to kill the Stray Demon and pick up the doll for the painted world. Digging back in today, I first headed to New Londo. I was about level 71 at the start today, wearing Black Iron chest and hands and Havel's helm and boots, wielding a Black Knight Sword +5 and a Silver Knight Shield. I've been focusing on Endurance, adding Havel armor when I could switch out a black iron one while maintaining a mid roll.

I had found the shortcut through Valley from Blighttown earlier, but man this place was atmospheric and depressing. I was worried the ghosts and running out of Transient Curses, but turns out my Black Knight Sword +5 one-hit kills the ghosts, so I made my way carefully through, only really having trouble with the giant blob thing that used skull grenades. With Four Kings dead, I was off to the Dukes Archive. The armored pig wrecked me, so I went to upgrade my Claymore to lightning +4 and turned the tides. Damage-wise it did similar to my BKS+5, so I've kept it with me as a backup. The Archives were awesome, I loved the visual design of it, the corrupted library and weird monsters. The channelers were annoying, but overall an awesome segment. In the Crystal Cave, I spent way too long on the crystal dude on the second ledge (where one side is auto-death being too steep) before backtracking and finding the real path. I finally experienced Curse when fighting Seath, but I paid him back in kind because that shit sucked. I also had my first invasion when I was around the 3rd bonfire in Dukes after I kindled it, I lost but it was really cool. The game AI is derpy at times, so fighting a human was something else.

Next was the the Demon Ruins, which was pretty simple until near the end. Ceaseless Discharge was easy once I started dodging his things, killing all the Taurus Demons was dumb since just had to aggro one, kill it, repeat while they all stood there watching. Same with the Capras a bit later, so I wasn't really liking the area. The random Taurus running at me out of nowhere (right before Demon Firesage) was awesome though, scared the hell out of me when i was casually killing the little derpy things on the stairs. Demon Firesage being another Stray Demon expy is unfortunate, but the Centipede Demon was really cool. I really like the hellish aesthetic of the Demon Ruins, even if it's not as fun to explore.

So 5 bosses killed today, a few areas cleared, and ended at about level 78/79 wearing full Havel armor with mid-roll, a BKS+5, and a Silver Knight Shield +4. Really glad I could spent a long day playing, it was awesome. I've noticed that I tend to not kindle bonfires though, and I've got a few Twin Humanities and nearly 30 solid Humanity in my inventory (because of the old rpg habit of saving items), typically using them only on bonfires which I'll be getting to bosses from, I really need to start using some of these. Loving the game overall, shame I have to go to work tomorrow and not play it.

It's other players yeah.

That's really awesome. The thought crossed my mind when I was fighting Seath earlier, so I'm glad that's how it is.

I will never see a black knight halbred.

I've killed that fucker dozens of times with 20+ humanity, the gold serpent ring and lots and lots of prayer.

Not once.

I got one with my INT build, at the beginning of my playthrough. It sat in storage forever since I wasn't planning to have the stats to use it. I then got 2 more in the Kiln.

What rare drops have you guys NEVER gotten or gotten only once? I got one Symbol of Avarice in my 200 hours of playtime. I like to put it on when I'm summoned, it always surprises the host. And I never got any Titanite Slabs from the Darkwraiths, just the guaranteed ones (from Seigmeyer's quest, etc).

I had created a few new characters after I was sick of Bed of Chaos on my first playthrough. I resumed playing a strenght/faith character recently. I'm at the post lord vessel part of the game and picked up a demon greath machete. Slow, heavy and I have to two hand it... but it does a lot of damage (600 according to the item screen) and it has on ok reach.

Shame I didnt use it earlier. I would have loved to try it out in the OnS fight. Fighting Artorias with it was intense as well. Probably my favourite boss fight of this game, overall I love the melee combat mechanics.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sif, hydra and butterfly dead and later with scheming meat co-op we got to the teleport coffin and I got a nice sword.

I just stabbed the frog in the face without it doing anything.

That was some fine work yesterday. I still can't believe that bridge just flipped over and tossed me into oblivion! XD

That Gravelord Sword does some serious damage when fully upgraded and has a pretty cool moveset too. Tis a fine weapon indeed.

I always assumed the Painted World really is peaceful, just that people who aren't part of the painting shouldn't be in it, and you're disturbing them.

Even if wheel skeletons are completely irredeemable and relentless bastards.
So maybe if I go in with ring of fog, full ninja gear AND hidden body I could catch bonewheel skellies just chillin' with a cappuccino?

Prototype

Washing Pole is one the games worst weapons. Astora Straight Sword tier trash.

I don't care about any of that. I've found that in PvP it mostly comes down to,

your skill > your equipments skill

I just use what I like and have fun. This is really just a pre-DS2 Hype play through for me anyway. I'm using a Dex/Faith build since I've never used miracles before. It's the last "type" of character I've left to play.

Wok

Is GFWL definitely dead? I have tried playing the game again on a different computer, and somehow GFWL does not let me login with the gamertag I had used on the first computer: I input the login and the password, then the CD-key and I get an error message about bad credentials. I have tried to login on Firefox and it works fine. I have also tried moving the savefile along in the gamertag savefoler which I had on the second computer, and I get a corrupted savefile message, which means I would have to start the game from scratch and in offline mode.

mannerbot

Is GFWL definitely dead? I have tried playing the game again on a different computer, and somehow GFWL does not let me login with the gamertag I had used on the first computer: I input the login and the password, then the CD-key and I get an error message about bad credentials. I have tried to login on Firefox and it works fine. I have also tried moving the savefile along in the gamertag savefoler which I had on the second computer, and I get a corrupted savefile message, which means I would have to start the game from scratch and in offline mode.

When GFWL fails to log in, what I usually do to fix it is close Dark Souls (or other GFWL game), open up the Games for Windows Marketplace client and log in there, then restart Dark Souls and logging in should be fine. Yesterday I had some weird issue where this didn't fix it, but I managed to fix it by selecting the option for adding a new user and entering my information there instead of just clicking on the user profile I wanted to log in on. The second thing doesn't sound like it'll fix your problem, but maybe the first might? Otherwise it's probably just a GFWL issue and you should try the usual stuff like reinstalling GFWL and verifying the integrity of your game files.

Wok

When GFWL fails to log in, what I usually do to fix it is close Dark Souls (or other GFWL game), open up the Games for Windows Marketplace client and log in there, then restart Dark Souls and logging in should be fine. Yesterday I had some weird issue where this didn't fix it, but I managed to fix it by selecting the option for adding a new user and entering my information there instead of just clicking on the user profile I wanted to log in on. The second thing doesn't sound like it'll fix your problem, but maybe the first might? Otherwise it's probably just a GFWL issue and you should try the usual stuff like reinstalling GFWL and verifying the integrity of your game files.

Thanks a lot!

I could not login even after launching the client, I guess something was wrong even outside the game, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the GFWL client and the LIVE redistributable. Then Steam wanted to install it again, so I cancelled the Steam installation of the LIVE redistributable. Finally, I manually loged off my second gamer tag (which was somehow used by the game) while in-game and log on with my first gamertag. It works now: I can load my previous save.

I still have a rendering issue, since the game plays in a small window inside the 1080p window, and the HUD is correct.

Edit: And it is fixed by deactivating the anti-aliasing.

mannerbot

Thanks.

I could not login even after launching the client, I guess something was wrong even outside the game, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the GFWL client and the LIVE redistributable. Then Steam wanted to install it again, so I cancelled the Steam installation of the LIVE redistributable. Finally, I manually loged off my second gamer tag (which was somehow used by the game) while in-game and log on with my first gamertag. It works now: I can load my previous save.

I still have a rendering issue, since the game plays in a small window inside the 1080p window, and the HUD is correct. Edit: And it is fixed by deactivating the anti-aliasing.

Uh, I saw someone post a screenshot of that a couple of weeks ago in this thread and he edited his post in embarrassment shortly thereafter, so I suspect that it's very easily fixed. Perhaps it's an issue with your resolution settings either in game or with DSfix?

edit: yeah, DSfix! 8)

Wok

Uh, I saw someone post a screenshot of that a couple of weeks ago in this thread and he edited his post in embarrassment shortly thereafter, so I suspect that it's very easily fixed. Perhaps it's an issue with your resolution settings either in game or with DSfix?

edit: yeah, DSfix! 8)

Thanks a lot, mate!

Mistel

Banned
That was some fine work yesterday. I still can't believe that bridge just flipped over and tossed me into oblivion! XD

That Gravelord Sword does some serious damage when fully upgraded and has a pretty cool moveset too. Tis a fine weapon indeed.
Yeah it does look good, what did that bridge actually do?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it does look good, what did that bridge actually do?

That Gravelord Sword does something like 397 base damage at +5. Pretty neat for NG, I think.

You know there’s that switch to flip the bridge so the spikey bits are on the bottom and it’s safe to walk across? Somehow it flipped back whilst I was running behind you and I learnt a very valuable first hand lesson regarding my character's inability to fly.

Maybe it is on a timer when you first flip it...?

Top Bottom