• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Or maybe someone is flipping the switch back?

tin-foil-hat.jpg

;P

That'd be my first thought but I don't think there was an invader. There wasn't another co-op player either. Baffling.

If you say yes he will turn hostile (though not immediately? I forget). So even if you are, it's better to say no. When he flips the bridge on you, go speak to him afterwards and don't accept his apology for a free humanity (same in TotG where it's a twin humanity). You don't have to fall for his trap, just go on the bridge either run across or hop over to the ledge leading to the great scythe, as long as he actually turns the bridge, you get your apology prize.

Chitown B

No idea. Never met him there before. It doesn't matter, it would've been worse if you didn't make it across since you were hosting.

"He will only be encountered in the Catacombs if you go there while Rhea is still at Firelink Shrine AND before you kill Pinwheel. After either of those occur, he will move on to the Tomb. However, it is not required to see him in the Catacombs for him to become a vendor."

So, I seem to have lost Solaire. Last time I saw him in regular form was near the Sunlight altar, and then I summoned him for the centipede. I didn't take the shortcut. I looked stuff up and apparently he's either supposed to be at the bonfire after the centipede, or he's supposed to be
insane and trying to kill you near the BoC.
. But he wasn't at either place. Is my game broken?

So, I seem to have lost Solaire. Last time I saw him in regular form was near the Sunlight altar, and then I summoned him for the centipede. I didn't take the shortcut. I looked stuff up and apparently he's either supposed to be at the bonfire after the centipede, or he's supposed to be
insane and trying to kill you near the BoC.
. But he wasn't at either place. Is my game broken?
Where he is when he
goes koo-koo
:
At the opposite end of the long bridge with the Titanite Demon on it. Down the steps is the path/door back to the Demon Ruins where you will find poor, poor Solaire
:(

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Where he is when he
goes koo-koo
:
At the opposite end of the long bridge with the Titanite Demon on it. Down the steps is the path/door back to the Demon Ruins where you will find poor, poor Solaire

You could argue that he got what he wanted: he became grossly incandescent after all...

Randam

I fought Sif pretty early into the game (hadn't even killed Quelaag yet), and man, that fight was absolute magic. In terms of difficulty, yeah, it's completely trivialized if you stay under him, but otherwise his movements are pretty impressive and can definitely be brutal.
i had a decent level, when i fought him for the first time and his double swing got me soo many times.. xD

Emarrel so crazy~ SL1 NG+7, aggression mod, self-Gravelording playthrough coming soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6EAyQq5OBs&feature=youtu.be

boring to watch.

a normal NG playthrough with agression mod and perma gravelording what have been way more interesting.
where he needs to fight stuff for souls and materials.

Chitown B

Where he is when he
goes koo-koo
:

oh. apparently I never saw that? I ran directly to the BoC as fast as I could.

M.D

Finished Duke's Archives and started DLC content for the first time and beat Sanctuary Guardian

TV stopped working

-_-

Nerokis

i had a decent level, when i fought him for the first time and his double swing got me soo many time.. xD

Oh, definitely. And his dash attack. At the time I had maybe 16 Vit (ended NG with 20 Vit, I think), and was wearing a +0 Wanderer Set. Sif was deadly.

On another note, Ill Saint recommended this Oro and Peeve NG+7, Aggression Mod, Perma-Gravelord playthrough a few days ago, and after watching the 6 episodes released so far, I have to say it's definitely one of the most entertaining LPs I've ever seen. Their trip through New Londo was beautiful.

Chitown B

Beat the Stray Demon last night to snag the slab and do my Claymore to +15.

Stray Demon was identical to Firesage Demon. Also very similar to Smough really.

Beat the Stray Demon last night to snag the slab and do my Claymore to +15.

Stray Demon was identical to Firesage Demon. Also very similar to Smough really.

I feel more that it's the Firesage Demon who's similar to the Stray Demon. Stray makes sense as an Asylum Redux given you're going back to the Asylum, redux. Firesage though, annoys me. Especially since he's RIGHT BEFORE ANOTHER BOSS anyway. Like, what's the point?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey duders, so someone on the Dark Souls subreddit was asking for speculation on this mural in the Undead Parish.

Since it's really hard to actually tell what's going on in game, I decided to dig through the textures and rip the actual texture file out here

dark_souls_texture_by_aloo81-d78rwlh.jpg

I ended up searching around and found the actual image itself is in the Dark Souls Design Works book! So I found a scan of it which you can see here

Then, with quite a bit of editing, I got it in the game!

Here's a comparison

With all that said, I published the mod on the Nexus so if anyone wants it, you can grab it here! Hope some of you end up liking it!

That's great Alo81. I can't tell if it's just a nice little texture or it's meant to be related to something in game?

Santuary Guardian animals? That's all I got :|

Mistel

Banned
Pinwheel done and the painting. I don't think Priscilla really understands the meaning of kind and peacful. But I felt sorry for her so I didn't kill her.

I don't get this. I meet a cat in the forest, and join her covenant. She gives me a ring, so I put it on and am told I am being summoned to invade someone's world. So I go and attack them. I die, and now this knight is attacking me saying a betrayed them.

You tell me to invade a world, so I do, and then I get punished? WTF. How about explaining the goddamn game mechanics?

Gorillaz

I don't get this. I meet a cat in the forest, and join her covenant. She gives me a ring, so I put it on and am told I am being summoned to invade someone's world. So I go and attack them. I die, and now this knight is attacking me saying a betrayed them.

You tell me to invade a world, so I do, and then I get punished? WTF. How about explaining the goddamn game mechanics?

you join another covenant? or accidentally killed a forest covenant NPC?

you dun fucked up tho

rugioh

Banned
I feel like an asshole because I died to Gaping Dragon, who is supposed to be like the easiest boss in this game haha. Oh well. By the way, when should I start looking to upgrade from the starter knight set? And assuming I finally kill Gaping Dragon will there be a quicker shortcut out of Depths than the way I came in?

Deitus

Maybe it was an NPC. He was running around like a human, so I assumed I was supposed to attack him. Is this going to haunt me forever?

It doesn't have to. Go to Oswald in the undead parish belltower and request absolution. This will make NPCs forget they ever hated you, which should allow you to rejoin the covenant. It won't bring back dead NPCs though of course.

There are a few sins you can commit that you cannot absolve though. But I'm pretty sure killing a forest hunter NPC isn't one of them.

Before you absolve your sin though, you may want to kill the rest of the forest hunter NPCs. At least one of them has some unique drops that you can't get otherwise, and if you want back in the covenant it's better to do it before you rejoin.

I feel like an asshole because I died to Gaping Dragon, who is supposed to be like the easiest boss in this game haha. Oh well. By the way, when should I start looking to upgrade from the starter knight set? And assuming I finally kill Gaping Dragon will there be a quicker shortcut out of Depths than the way I came in?

If you want to continue with medium-heavy armor, the Elite Knight set is really good when you take the time to upgrade it. You can find it in Darkroot Garden, near the stone giants.

Played for 5 hours today and essentially accomplished nothing. I found some loot, but I haven't beaten a boss in like 10 hours...

I knew the game would be too much for me. I only bought it because it was $5. I should hate it. But I keep playing.

Except both those areas are fun and well designed. Nothing in either feels rushed or unfinished, unlike Izalith.

well designed my ass

shits a fucking maze

Played for 5 hours today and essentially accomplished nothing. I found some loot, but I haven't beaten a boss in like 10 hours...

I knew the game would be too much for me. I only bought it because it was $5. I should hate it. But I keep playing.

I know that feel... :mad:

An-Det

Took down the Bed of Chaos and Pinwheel tonight. I had heard that Pinwheel was easy, but that was even easier than I expected. I really liked the Catacombs though, really neat area.

Holy crap the Tomb is dark.

yo sens fortress imma let you finish...

but dukes archives is the most annoying area of ALL TIME

I didn't mind it the first time through, but tonight I went backwards through it to try to get back to the middle section with the hat dude. Turns out going through the initial route doesn't work so well
after Seath is killed (since he can't kill/imprison you)
, and trying to backtrack when I didn't remember the way fucking sucked.

Chitown B

LOL. I'm at 80 hours. I still have three bosses left. But my guy is badass.

just did my first co-op being summoned. Killed O&S (S first) with two other guys. Fun times. 25K souls!

Someone said earlier sin is 2000 X your level, but my sin price was 35500 which is 500 times my level (71)

Are there anything other paths in crystal caves aside from the ones that lead to the boss and the one that leads to that blue titanite slab?

those invisible pathways are madenning and I'm out of stones

ZenaxPure

Are there anything other paths in crystal caves aside from the ones that lead to the boss and the one that leads to that blue titanite slab?

I don't think there are any others, but, as a side note I found shooting arrows at the path to be an excellent way to follow it (specifically the slab one). I tend to carry over 1k arrows with me at any given time, so I didn't mind wasting a few hundred to make it across that thing.

PatzCU

And by really good, it's basically the best.

Why is the Elite Knight set basically the best? Does it just scale well when upgrading? I feel like I just end up picking armor with the most efficient weight:defense ratios I can find since I'm trying to stay under a 50% equipment load. Really sick of looking at this Crimson Skirt.

Gorillaz

it's a straight path for the most part. Just watch where the snow lands, if you have some other items you don't care for, just throw them out as guidance

Chitown B

sitting around at O&S waiting for someone to summon me. level 71. I got a couple in a row that the host died and got booted out. Need some souls!

Inskipp

Why is the Elite Knight set basically the best? Does it just scale well when upgrading?
It has a good mix of stats (for its weight that is) and scales well with upgrades. The chest piece and the helmet are definitely worth having a look at imo.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

It might be a glitch, this doesn't normally happen. On my first playthrough, I once quit and reloaded next to the forest NPCs that had appeared (Shiva and that ninja). There was a glitch that sometimes made the ninja spawn above a cliff, so he'd fall to his death and I'd get souls, then all the forest NPCs attacked me (like it's my fault he'd fall, lol). I got the ninja's loot at least, and pre-patch that particular loot was ridiculously OP so it was not a big loss. It was expensive to absolve at Oswald, though.

I beat Ornstein and Smough in my crazy challenge run, woohoo!

Like I said the last time I beat them, that fight is so achingly close to being truly great. The biggest element that holds it back is that you have to keep them on camera to see the tells for most of their attacks, since sound cues are few and far between. To compensate for this, I adjusted my control scheme, switching the commands for right hand normal attack and run/dodge. This was a revelation. I can actually have great situational awareness while moving at high speed now! The downside is that I absolutely have to wait for the PC version of DSII now, since I've acclimated myself to this altered control scheme. I'm still not perfectly in tune with it, old instincts still pop up sometimes, but this is a serious improvement. I encourage any PC players to give it a shot, unless they're masters of the claw grip or have some crazy mutant extra thumb.

Why is the Elite Knight set basically the best? Does it just scale well when upgrading? I feel like I just end up picking armor with the most efficient weight:defense ratios I can find since I'm trying to stay under a 50% equipment load. Really sick of looking at this Crimson Skirt.

If you're going for one cohesive look, the Elite Knight has pretty much the best balance -- really good defense with pretty good Poise at basically the right weight for mid rollers.

2AdEPT

He likely just needs to turn 60fps off. Even with the ninja flipping shit going on you'll have a huge headache making that jump at higher fps. Also, the Iaito jump is possible at 60.
yeah there are a couple issues with 60 fps but worth the hassle. As mentioned, you can set DSFIX to toggle using spacebar, but I didnt bother. A.) dont slide down the ladder near sunbro altar rats, B.) really stretch your toes doing the Iato jump, both taking off and landing, and C.) for the asylum trip simply run and jump on to the pillar butress instread of rolling as normal, turn backward and press circle to backstep over the artifact on the butress (also works for tree in blighttown and root in Great Hollow as those are bad even without the dsfix at times.) No other known issues.... that I have encountered anyway.

I just decided not to give a fuck about New Londo Ruins. That place wasn't fun or challenging. Just a goddamn nightmare.
You prolly want to get the ember there though...most of us who cant be bothered with clearing it out do like red Licorice suggested, just
kick down ladder shortcut and die once doing it if need be, kill ingward next time through using shortcut, speed run to back and use the key to seal to open floodgates, then speed run to ember.
Come back later with +14 weapon. Always wear the gold serpent ring there and stack 10 humanity to get curses and cool jagged ghostblades.

I'm lvl 125 and walk around with 20 million souls (I don't even know what to spend them on). Die often too. The trick is to never die twice in a row so if your going to die, know that you can get there safely.

Its one of the reasons I am not doing the Bed of Chaos fight since its easy to die in an awkward place where its difficult to get your souls.
Surely you could buy a few sacrifice rings from the Carim parishioner with your coin and just giver a go? You would not need to get the bloodstain if you wear them pre-emptively. Be nice to get the kiln open no? If you alreadybought them all there is the one ona ledge near the first octopus creature on the way to the BOC that has one.
and it happend: started a new character with agression mad active, helped someone fight gaping dragon and I got stuck in his spit and now my main weapon is broken.

if only this was dark souls 2 were I could warp back to a blacksmith..
Dat powdah is a poor man 's box until you get the coin for the big boxes dude! ;) Plus the repair powder animation beats taking the easy way out at the bonfire regardless. Its like the pre-drug taking ritual! Souls Powder in veins!
Solo'd O&S FINALLY! I was stuck at those two bastards for over a week, just trying 3-6 attempts per night. I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to summoning help, but I just don't want to be invaded and hacked. Going to play through the entire game Hollow and hopefully the hacking issues don't persist in DS2.
Congrats on soloing man...but paranoid about hackers much?!?! I have played over 2500 hours of souls, mostly helping noobs online, and have seen 2-3 hackers....one of whom we kicked off a cliff in the garden and got 500k souls each! We simply ran away and entered boss door on the other, then re-dropped. Oh yeah one time I did get egghead disease from an invader, but I had to thank him as I had never went to Einygy before with an egg already on my head BEFORE meeting him the first time...he has new dialogue for that situation which in all my time I had not experienced before....what a blessing! Get dat online flowing in prep for DS2..... nothing bad is gonna happen to your characters that you cant easily fix or reverse!
Washing Pole is one the games worst weapons. Astora Straight Sword tier trash.
everyone has a right to an opinion, but maybe two words of a reason so new players can decide? Plus, you are wrong ;) LOL - dat running R1, dat "swallow tail" style with fire bufff in dark areas, dat reach! Plus, FROM obviously like it as they bestowed the highest honor of a real and famous lore swordsman onto its namesake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojirō

although he did meet his death at some point using the sword, the point is clear, souls games are not about maxing out stats and mashing x for victory...the style and grace of how one can overcome extreme odds, despite nerfings in base damage and DPS etc. is more important.

Cant wait to find out which new weapons will receive this honor in the next iteration and whether the moonlight sword will go up or down in powerfulness this round??!!!

I will never see a black knight halbred.

I've killed that fucker dozens of times with 20+ humanity, the gold serpent ring and lots and lots of prayer.

Not once.

cant recall, think its like a 13% chance or 1 in 6 to get the drop with 2 humanity and no ring, so you must be really unlucky.

If you are on PC problem solved...it only takes a few minutes to either use Dsfix for saves or download Gamesave manager for free. I have done the latter as it seems like a good program and have never missed a drop since. That;s all I use it for though. ;)

I don't care about any of that. I've found that in PvP it mostly comes down to,

your skill > your equipments skill

I just use what I like and have fun. This is really just a pre-DS2 Hype play through for me anyway. I'm using a Dex/Faith build since I've never used miracles before. It's the last "type" of character I've left to play.
Wise post .....bravo! Its a viable option in souls to embrace good looking, or functional in only a couple ways and/or worn out gear, embrace poor stats, and fearlessly tackle insurmountable odds....the higher the test, the higher the victory in the end.

It doesn't have to. Go to Oswald in the undead parish belltower and request absolution. Before you absolve your sin though, you may want to kill the rest of the forest hunter NPCs. At least one of them has some unique drops that you can't get otherwise, and if you want back in the covenant it's better to do it before you rejoin.
....and dont forget, its also good to kill them over and over first for the souls you need to absolve!

This was how I started out in Demon's...but once you learn the controls and feel comfortable rolling and dodging you will get an "a-ha" moment and start making real progress. Although there are better areas to start out in than others, people beat this at SL1 and no virtually no upgrades and/or in just under 2hours so dont let the somewhat hyperbolic facade of "difficulty" fool you....when there is a will there is a way...I gave up on Capra demon for example my first play-through of Dark, then came back a few days later and melted his face with 2 chaos pyros and lightning speared his minion dogs from behind a stable shield...fuck that felt good!

so don't let the developers break your will. I can be summoned at any time to help this week as I am off with a concussion from work (lets hope the doc figures I need another week off next week!!! ;) :
AdEPTErik - GFWL
adepterik2 - steam/PSN.

If you must go it alone, simply treat death as a learning experience and use it as a tool....for example suicide runs can enable you to get better and better items and equipment such that once it is all collected the game gets easier....just dont care about dying and souls ....there are always more souls later..... surely you have read about X million souls being carried around. Best way is to offer help. assuming you got by the Taurus demon, just grab the white soap stone from Solaire and help others with their plight...you will learn about the place and get souls for helping. If you die as a helper you lose nothing, and gain souls and experience. if Taurus is still alive....target him as your prime objective, learn from the asylum etc.

edit: holy crap that was long.....must be the time off...nothing else to do at home here resting with concussion sorry guys!

Chitown B

said screw it, time for some jolly co-op for a boss! So I ran with a good guy to Seath. Crystal Caves was actually much easier to get around than I thought.

We got to him and were kicking his ass, but then I got cursed and died - RIGHT AFTER we killed him. So the achieve pops, but I'm back at Duke's cursed. Popped a purge stone and had to run all the way back to get my souls and the bonfire. lol.

Top Bottom