• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

AlexBasch

Just killed Gravelord Nito.

Shit wasn't fun. Heck, I'm not having fun beating the Dark Souls bosses other than O&S tbh.

Had to juggle the fucking skeletons, dodge the blades and attack. Goddamn.

Joei

So I started a new game a week or so ago, beat O&S the other night and decided the first place I would go would be Duke's because I absolutely hate that section of the game. I've read some people hate on Izalith or the Ruin's, but my god, I hate Duke's Archives so f'n much. I think the design is super lame and the enemies there just suck. On top of that, I forgot it's best to use an elemental weapon and am going to go build up my Lspear to 4 and maybe make a Lightning Balder Sword or something, I dunno. I wish I could skip this section.

Mistel

Banned
I think I went the wrong way in tomb of the giants. I went down 2 slide things and down a ladder and got skewered by 3 big bone guys.

Just killed Gravelord Nito.

Shit wasn't fun. Heck, I'm not having fun beating the Dark Souls bosses other than O&S tbh.

Had to juggle the fucking skeletons, dodge the blades and attack. Goddamn.
If you don't go too far to the back of the area, the big skellies will never aggro, and a divine weapon will take care of the regular ones - or just let Nito do the work for you temporarily.

I think I went the wrong way in tomb of the giants. I went down 2 slide things and down a ladder and got skewered by 3 big bone guys.
That room still gives me nightmares. It's not far from the bonfire though, I bet you walked right past it to get there. :)

Chitown B

if you went down a ladder, that's right next to the bonfire.

paid off my sin (which I think was refusing the cat in the forest for 35500 so I could go back to him and accept it (but not join) and get the achievement.

All that's left for the game is Nito, and then Gwyn. Otherwise there's DLC and a couple other areas like Ash Lake. Oh, and Painted World.

Mistel

Banned
That room still gives me nightmares. It's not far from the bonfire though, I bet you walked right past it to get there. :)
if you went down a ladder, that's right next to the bonfire.
Am I? I'll work my way back there then. I lifted the skull lantern see and just say three of them so I just suicided to get that proud souls from a body in the room as they aggroed when I moved. My divine bastard sword is at +5 I need to find the thing that lets it go to +10.

paid off my sin (which I think was refusing the cat in the forest for 35500 so I could go back to him and accept it (but not join) and get the achievement.

All that's left for the game is Nito, and then Gwyn. Otherwise there's DLC and a couple other areas like Ash Lake. Oh, and Painted World.
Alvina is a girl just saying... Painted world is easy really well it was for me I only cornered by those rolling jerks and died once. The heavy knight just fell to its death...

rugioh

Banned
You don't need to reverse hollow to help people with bosses right? I'm working late today so I'm thinking of trying to help people with bosses and farm some souls instead.

Chitown B

Am I? I'll work my way back there then. I lifted the skull lantern see and just say three of them so I just suicided to get that proud souls from a body in the room as they aggroed when I moved. My divine bastard sword is at +5 I need to find the thing that lets it go to +10.

Alvina is a girl just saying... Painted world is easy really well it was for me I only cornered by those rolling jerks and died once. The heavy knight just fell to its death...

maybe it's a different spot I'm thinking of. But the first ladder down that I found was to a bonfire, after 2 slides.

Meh, I don't care. she/he is a cat. lol.

My only worrying about the painted world is A) You can't leave until you finish it and B) Having to fight the lady for the achievement.

You were definately on the right track for that.

Randam

yo sens fortress imma let you finish...

but dukes archives is the most annoying area of ALL TIME

jip.
hate the archive too.

those damn crystal archers.
fuck those guys!!

I feel like an asshole because I died to Gaping Dragon, who is supposed to be like the easiest boss in this game haha. Oh well. By the way, when should I start looking to upgrade from the starter knight set? And assuming I finally kill Gaping Dragon will there be a quicker shortcut out of Depths than the way I came in?

gaping dragon can be dangerous.
if he its you he can 1 shot you easily.

and no.
no shortcut out of the depths.

I don't get this. I meet a cat in the forest, and join her covenant. She gives me a ring, so I put it on and am told I am being summoned to invade someone's world. So I go and attack them. I die, and now this knight is attacking me saying a betrayed them.

You tell me to invade a world, so I do, and then I get punished? WTF. How about explaining the goddamn game mechanics?

like said before, could have been a npc that fell of a clive for what ever reason.

Someone said earlier sin is 2000 X your level, but my sin price was 35500 which is 500 times my level (71)

it was 2000 x your sl in the beginning.
now it is 500 x your level.

Ornstein and Smough fight was so good. And it looks awesome. Dodging Smough's hammer as it smashes through a pillar only to have Ornstein immediately dive straight through the debris is intense

shwimpy

Hey guys. Playing this game for the first time and having a blast.

I just beat Quelaag but I still don't have a grasp of how and what I should be upgrading in terms of stats, weapons, and armor.

I started with the Pyromancer build cause I always pick a mage class when playing RPGs but the melee combat in this game is so satisfying so I'm leaning towards going full melee build. Should I start over and pick like a knight class or is it okay to keep going? I'm level 35ish and have been putting all my points in Endurance and Vitality with the occasional point in Strength. I'm using a Battle Axe +4 and Knight Shield but eventually want to wield a sword, maybe even go 2hd. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks!

Arjen

I just beat Quelaag but I still don't have a grasp of how and what I should be upgrading in terms of stats, weapons, and armor.

I started with the Pyromancer build cause I always pick a mage class when playing RPGs but the melee combat in this game is so satisfying so I'm leaning towards going full melee build. Should I start over and pick like a knight class or is it okay to keep going? I'm level 35ish and have been putting all my points in Endurance and Vitality with the occasional point in Strength. I'm using a Battle Axe +4 and Knight Shield but eventually want to wield a sword, maybe even go 2hd. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks!

Well, because pyromancy doesnt scale with any stats you didnt mess antyhing up and are stille good for a solid melee build.
If you're enjoying strength weapons, I'd suggest putting more points into strength to benefit from scaling. And level 35 is pretty solid for the place you are now.

Thanks!
Pyromancy isn't tied to any stat (other than equiping more spells with Attunement - and cast speed with high Dex) you increase it's power by upgrading the glove, so it's the perfect taste of magic whilst still being able to fully concentrate on melee.

As for stats - VIT and END are always good. Resistance never upgrade, it's useless. Faith/Intelligence only if you want to use miracles/magic (better to have a separate character so you don't get over-leveled, which is expensive and can put you out of PvP/Co-Op range).

So that leaves Strength and Dexterity. Basically - upgrade the stats that your chosen weapons scale with. Look at a weapons detailed stats page, it tells you what stats it requires and scales with (grade S,A,B,C,D,E - S is best down to E). Say you pick like the Claymore it scales C in both STR and DEX, so when you level up those stats, the bonus damage goes up. Simple as that.

Upgrading your weapon is also very important. More important than leveling up really, so always make it a priority to upgrade your weapon as much as you can. Your stats are fine for where you in the game, but a +4 weapon is on the low side, so look at upgrading that - fine weapon too the Battle Axe :)

shwimpy

^Thanks guys!

Also, I see that the Battle Axe can be upgraded at +5 and +10 to a different element? What do you guys recommend I do in terms of that?

Arjen

^Thanks guys!

Also, I see that the Battle Axe can be upgraded at +5 and +10 to a different element? What do you guys recommend I do in terms of that?

+15 actually.
Rule of thumb. With base stats, go elemental, otherwise always +15
With a +15 weapon you'll fully benefit from your stat like strength or dexterity.

Ferr986

Well, making Anor Londo
dark
wasnt that good of a idea.
I wanted some pvp action while I wait to get summoned for jolly-coop but now I cant even have my sign up more than a minute because I keep getting gangraped by multiple invaders lol

shwimpy

look for shields with better stability.
Thing is, I'm barely using the shield. Just been dodging/sidestepping for now, not sure if this will be viable as the game goes on and gets harder. I beat Quelaag using the Battle Axe 2hd and not even having the shield out. Probably will go strictly 2h for a bit.

Is usability of a weapon solely based on STR? Like when I try to equip a weapon, it says it's not suitable for me or whatever.

Ferr986

Thing is, I'm barely using the shield. Just been dodging/sidestepping for now, not sure if this will be viable as the game goes on and gets harder. I beat Quelaag using the Battle Axe 2hd and not even having the shield out. Probably will go strictly 2h for a bit.

Is usability of a weapon solely based on STR? Like when I try to equip a weapon, it says it's not suitable for me or whatever.

Theres also weapons that may requires DEX instead of STR, or both. There also the stat scaling, the better it scales with a parameter, the more damage you will do once leveling that parameter.

See this image
bwkjl.jpg

It requires 24 STR and 10 DEX to wield this weapon (one handed) and scales with a level of C on STR and D for DEX. Scaling goes from S to E if im not mistaken.

Theres also weapons that may requires DEX instead of STR, or both. There also the stat scaling, the better it scales with a parameter, the more damage you will do once leveling that parameter.

See this image

It requires 24 STR and 10 DEX to wield this weapon (one handed) and scales with a level of C on STR and D for DEX. Scaling goes from S to E if im not mistaken.
That right side there is useful if you're two handing q weapon.

PatzCU

I've done something very similar, started with Pyromancer and have really only put stat points in END and VIT. I'm at SL 51 right now with 20 STR and 12 DEX and am unsure of how to be spending my stat allocations between the two. I'm using a +10 reinforced club right now but I've been picking up so many weapons it's hard to tell what I should be upgrading to. I've been liking the 1H/Shield combo for my first playthrough and enjoy mobility. What do people typically move on to from the reinforced club?

Randam

if that is the case, in the darkroot garden/basin, is a shield, that helps you, even when you have it on your back. ;)

AlexBasch

If you don't go too far to the back of the area, the big skellies will never aggro, and a divine weapon will take care of the regular ones - or just let Nito do the work for you temporarily.
You mean those weren't invincible? Really?!

FUCK.

jip.
hate the archive too.

those damn crystal archers.
fuck those guys!!
I'm near Lv.70 or so and the crystal enemies are tearing my Ornstein armor like it was made of goddamn paper. ;_;

What do people typically move on to from the reinforced club?
Reinforced club is a really great weapon, it can see you through the game. There are a few bigger clubs if you like smacking people around with logs. The Great Club is easy to loot in Blighttown and the big Barbarian types at the entrance/exit of Blighttown also drop the large club which is one of my favourites, it has a varied, useful moveset in both 1 and 2 handed. Since you haven't really put too many points into STR or DEX it's pretty open - have a flip through everything you've got and see what appeals in terms of it's moveset and then upgrade/level up accordingly.

FUCK.
Haha, yeah just like the Necromancer-controlled skellies in Catacombs they only die permanently if killed with a divine weapon.

cebri.one

Today i managed to beat Taurus Demon. And now i understand what all you guys were talking about, i hope this is just the beggining of a bright (and full of deaths) journey to the ultimate victory. :D

Ferr986

FUCK.

I'm near Lv.70 or so and the crystal enemies are tearing my Ornstein armor like it was made of goddamn paper. ;_;

They're probably buffed by The Channeler (the enemy with the trident, he can buff other enemies damage).

Chitown B

Well, making Anor Londo
dark
wasnt that good of a idea.
I wanted some pvp action while I wait to get summoned for jolly-coop but now I cant even have my sign up more than a minute because I keep getting gangraped by multiple invaders lol

lol. what made you think this was a good idea?

Defyler

Doing a second play through. First play through was an SL 120 Dex great scythe and pyro build several months ago.

So far I'm at lvl 55 (knight) sticking with a +10 claymore and elite knight armor. Just finished Bigge and Smalls. Am planning to cap the level at 75 for pvp.

Vit 25 End 33 Stre 27 Dex 13 Attu 10 for great combustion no other points spent.

Where should I go from here stat wise?

I have the greatest feeling of relief right now. I finally figured out where to go. After ringing the church bell two days ago, I had been wandering around for literally 12 hours of in game time. I knew I must have been missing something since the forest was really difficult. Anyway, eventually I leveled so much that I was able to use the black knight sword and defeat Sif. I had no idea where else to go, so I figured I would try the Capra Demon. I was so high leveled that I just hacked away at him and beat him no problem. Then I get a damn key to the depths.

I had no idea I needed to kill that demon. I thought it was optional. Jesus. Twelve hours later, I'm level 43 and in the depths. The good news is I've already defeated Sif and the Butterfly, so once I get out of the depths I'm in good shape.

They could have made it more clear where to go after the church bell!!

Anyway, I'm so happy. I'm finally on the right track again. I almost caved in and used a wiki. But finally persistence and stubbornness paid off.

Chitown B

A) the dragon really isn't that bad - he doesn't even really go for you. just watch his "pulse" move.

B) Technically he's optional. There is another way into Blighttown. FYI.

Chitown B

so, after killing O&S co-op a couple times I can definitely understand why people say you should do it solo first. It's CAKE co-op.

BigDug13

Is there really a need to change armors? Every time I try a new armor, I always end up going back to my basic Pyro armor because of the resistances and weight. I just got the lordvessel so that's the stage of the game I'm at. There are other nice looking armors that provide higher stats, but at a HUGE cost to my ability to roll around and move quickly. I can get below 25% with my endurance and Havel ring.

BigDug13

So I'm still on my first playthrough of the game and Steam says I've been playing it for 70 hours now and I finally got The Lordvessel several hours ago but haven't been able to progress further. I'm messing around in some library with that Mage that always respawns and all the crystal dudes.

Do I just suck or is the game really this long? How long does it take to finally beat it?

Chitown B

So I'm still on my first playthrough of the game and Steam says I've been playing it for 70 hours now and I finally got The Lordvessel several hours ago but haven't been able to progress further. I'm messing around in some library with that Mage that always respawns and all the crystal dudes.

Do I just suck or is the game really this long? How long does it take to finally beat it?

Everything after the Lord Vessel goes a lot faster. I was probably at 65 hours when I beat O&S. Now I'm at 85 hours and I only have one of the 4 bosses left (other than final boss)

My first playthrough took me about 76 hours, AFTER abandoning a character I put 60 hours into (wasn't happy with the way I built it). My second playthrough took only 24 hours, but only because I skipped a lot of stuff to rush getting the trophy for the second ending.

BigDug13

Everything after the Lord Vessel goes a lot faster. I was probably at 65 hours when I beat O&S. Now I'm at 85 hours and I only have one of the 4 bosses left (other than final boss)

I still can't figure out a good weapon to use. The only thing the blacksmiths can make for me are raw and Devine (which is kinda worthless due to having no faith in my character build). I'm using a silver sword from Anor Londo upgraded to +5 but I can't seem to do anything else with it but at least it hits hard as hell. Is it possible to get more than 10 estus flasks? I run out of them pretty quickly in the library which has been my latest "beat my head against a wall" spot since finally beating those 2 Anor Londo bosses by kiting them around with a crossbow solo.

I try not to use any guides, but after being stuck for several hours in that painting world, I finally broke. I never did find that contraption for the door to get across the bridge. I used a shortcut under the dragon corpse.

I really have a hard time finding some of the stuff and I get stuck wandering around for hours killing the same enemies over and over. I guess it's really easy to spin your wheels in this game not able to advance due to double deaths with lots of souls and simply not being able to find your way.

I still love the atmosphere and I really love how everything is interconnected. I could never get into Demon's Souls with its "touch a statue to enter a world" style of world interaction. It felt similar to Mario selecting a world by jumping into a painting in Mario 64 (people even name the levels like Mario...world 1-4). Much prefer the interconnected world.

Top Bottom