• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I still can't figure out a good weapon to use. The only thing the blacksmiths can make for me are raw and Devine. I'm using a silver sword from Anor Londo upgraded to +5 but I can't seem to do anything else with it but at least it hits hard as hell. Is it possible to get more than 10 estus flasks? I run out of them pretty quickly in the library which has been my latest "beat my head against a wall" spot since finally beating those 2 Anor Londo bosses by kiting them around with a crossbow solo.

You should go to the Depths to get the Large Ember (near the first Butcher). Give it to Andrei and he can take normal weapons to +10. The Very Large Ember is in New Londo and gets normal weapons to +15. If your weapon scaling stats (STR/DEX) are high enough, you'll get a nice damage boost. What are your current stats?

Regarding Estus Flasks, you can get up to 20 by kindling bonfires multiple times, but you need a key item from the Catacombs boss to do so. Catacombs is accessed via the cemetery near Firelink.

BigDug13

You should go to the Depths to get the Large Ember (near the first Butcher). Give it to Andrei and he can take normal weapons to +10. The Very Large Ember is in New Londo and gets normal weapons to +15. If your weapon scaling stats (STR/DEX) are high enough, you'll get a nice damage boost. What are your current stats?

Regarding Estus Flasks, you can get up to 20 by kindling bonfires multiple times, but you need a key item from the Catacombs boss to do so. Catacombs is accessed via the cemetery near Firelink.

Looks like I'll need to explore a bit more. New Londo seemed like a really scary place to avoid just by the look of it, but maybe now that I'm level 60 with some "ok" gear I can check it out.

My stats are mostly Endurance and Vitality. I have about 24 dex and 20 str. I haven't really touched int or faith but I did go for attunement enough to get 4 spell slots and my pyro hand is +10. I'm a bit clueless for gear and was rocking that starting set of armor for pretty much the entire game, even if I found new stuff. Mostly because everything I find seems so inferior when I consider how much weight it adds to my character's movement. But the lack of poise has been shit and when I messed around with the Havel set while barely being able to move, at least I was able to basically mow through all attackers like they weren't even there with none of them able to knock me back. So I still have some experimentation to do there as far as armor sets. I don't like being slow and clunky though.

Looks like I'll need to explore a bit more. New Londo seemed like a really scary place to avoid just by the look of it, but maybe now that I'm level 60 with some "ok" gear I can check it out.

My stats are mostly Endurance and Vitality. I have about 24 dex and 20 str. I haven't really touched int or faith but I did go for attunement enough to get 4 spell slots and my pyro hand is +10. I'm a bit clueless for gear and was rocking that starting set of armor for pretty much the entire game, even if I found new stuff. Mostly because everything I find seems so inferior when I consider how much weight it adds to my character's movement. But the lack of poise has been shit and when I messed around with the Havel set while barely being able to move, at least I was able to basically mow through all attackers like they weren't even there with none of them able to knock me back. So I still have some experimentation to do there as far as armor sets. I don't like being slow and clunky though.

With 24 DEX and 20 STR, You could use a quality weapon (weapon that scales with both STR and DEX). The Halberd and Claymore are good choices. The Claymore in particular has a very good moveset, and it's in Undead Burg on the bridge where the dragon is. And the Halberd has decent range, which can help in avoiding getting hit. If you want to pump more into DEX, use an Uchigatana or Iaito. Or maybe try the Flamberge, if you're into greatswords. You could also replace your crossbow with the Dragonslayer Greatbow.

For armor, the Elite Knight Set is the best mid weight set when upgraded. It's in Darkroot Garden. Maybe stay under 50% equip weight to mid-roll. You could always mix/match stuff. Wear your starter chest with Havel's Gloves or something.

A word of advice: try working on dodging enemy attacks. It's better to not get hit at all than to get hit while wearing the heaviest armor (and being slow and clunky, which you said you disliked). Try baiting an enemy attack then back off to let them wiff, and go in for an attack or circle behind them for a backstab. When you're comfortable enough doing so, you could switch to lighter armor and roll even faster (<25% equip load).

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I like havel's armor for its poise but it's so heavy. I've got havel ring and I still have the fat roll...

You have to build the character to aim for a mid roll which is like 36 or 40 endurance with havels/fap rings

On another note, fuck GFWL. So many times it just refuses to connect even though I'm having no connection issues at all...

Mistel

Banned
When it comes to armour, I'm pretty much the same. I do like to be able to move fast though.
I need to get that sexy brass set I don't know where it is, I've got an inkling it's behind that fog door in the anor londo tomb. I've got some ideas of nice combinations with that and a couple of other sets.
You have to build the character to aim for a mid roll which is like 36 or 40 endurance with havels/fap rings

On another note, fuck GFWL. So many times it just refuses to connect even though I'm having no connection issues at all...
The fap ring? I've just used black iron armor so I could get mid roll and decent defenses at the same time as looking cool.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I need to get that sexy brass set I don't know where it is, I've got an inkling it's behind that fog door in the anor londo tomb. I've got some ideas of nice combinations with that and a couple of other sets.

The fap ring? I've just used black iron armor so I could get mid roll and decent defenses at the same time as looking cool.

Ring of Favor and Protection

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Is that Lautrec's set? How far down his quest line are you?

Without giving too much away, that fog door doesn't have any armour sets... as such.

wellduh. Fast roll is the first unwritten rule of Souls.

How would I know about the rule if it's unwritten? ;P

With my STR build I've got a (kind of) Japanese Spearman aesthetic going on.

X4T8lAl.jpg

They could have made it more clear where to go after the church bell!!
This kind of information is in the NPC dialogue and item descriptions. They leave it up to you to discover these things that way or just stumble on them by chance, rather than smacking you around the face with it like most other games. It's refreshing not to be treated like an imbecile for once by developers.

It's handy actually to have a pen and paper at hand to write down stuff you want to do later since you often come across multiple ways to go. So if you pick up a key and the descriptions says "unlocks a rusty door at end of ye olde dragon bridge" or something, make a note of it. Old school :)

An-Det

I think the Painted World is the only area of the game so far that I really just dont like, mostly for the fuckers that make you toxin. I only had 1 toxin cure remaining, so that took away more health than any enemy did. Apparently they dont toxic you if killed with a fire weapon, but I didn't have one anyway. Is there a way to get more toxic cures in there or are you just kinda screwed and have to deal with it until you unlock the shortcut?

I like havel's armor for its poise but it's so heavy. I've got havel ring and I still have the fat roll...

I had to get my Endurance up to about 42 before I could do full Havels plus my Dark Knight Sword and Silver Knight Shield. It feels badass, but it's a huge investment.

I think the Painted World is the only area of the game so far that I really just dont like, mostly for the fuckers that make you toxin. I only had 1 toxin cure remaining, so that took away more health than any enemy did. Apparently they dont toxic you if killed with a fire weapon, but I didn't have one anyway. Is there a way to get more toxic cures in there or are you just kinda screwed and have to deal with it until you unlock the shortcut?
Yeah there isn't a way to get blooming moss in there. IIRC, backstabbing them works too if you don't have a fire weapon or pyro. You can also poke/thrust them and roll backwards to avoid the toxin. Or block it with a shield like the spider shield.

Mistel

Banned
I had to get my Endurance up to about 42 before I could do full Havels plus my Dark Knight Sword and Silver Knight Shield. It feels badass, but it's a huge investment.
That is quite an investment for a set of armor, I can wear it now but I'm slow.

Is that Lautrec's set? How far down his quest line are you?
Without giving too much away, that fog door doesn't have any armour sets... as such.
I've got lautrec's, the brass set is the one that the lady wears at the first anor londo bonfire, the fog door is something to do with the darkmoon people I think.

Horns

Can someone help me understand something that should be pretty simple?

I am attempting to forge Queelaggs Fury sword to help beat Ornstein & Smough on NG+. I forged a Shotel to +5 at the Giant blacksmith. Then it disappears from his list. So, I go to the two other blacksmiths attempting to forge the Shotel to +10, but no one others an option to make it +6. I can only fire/crystal/lighting +1. I have the Titanite necessary to +6, +7 etc.

I simply want to make the Shotel +10 so I can forge Queelaggs Fury sword.

I am attempting to forge Queelaggs Fury sword to help beat Ornstein & Smough on NG+. I forged a Shotel to +5 at the Giant blacksmith. Then it disappears from his list. So, I go to the two other blacksmiths attempting to forge the Shotel to +10, but no one others an option to make it +6. I can only fire/crystal/lighting +1. I have the Titanite necessary to +6, +7 etc.

go to the giant blacksmith and go to the modify equipment tab. should be there where you can upgrade it to 10

kionedrik

You need to go to Andre and modify it to +6 (you need the large ember to do this). After that any blacksmith can upgrade it to +10.

Inskipp

go to the giant blacksmith and go to the modify equipment tab. should be there where you can upgrade it to 10
A slight correction: Only Andre (the blacksmith in Undead Parish) can modify equipment to +6 with the Large Ember. After modifying it in Andre's, you can upgrade it up to +10 at any Blacksmith/Smithing box.

After you get it to +10, you'll have to take it to the Giant blacksmith and use Quelaag's soul to create the Furysword.

E: Gah, beaten to a pulp. Oh well.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
SO, over the past few days I've played the ever loving shit out of Dark Souls.

Some spoilers follow so if you haven't beaten the game yet you might want to skip the rest.

I finished up Demon Ruins and beat the Centipede Demon, that was a fun fight but I hate lava. Or rather I did, now with my reward it isn't bad. Then explored all over Izalith, those large dudes aren't any kind of fun so I just avoided most of them. Explored and fought all the way to the shortcut between Demon Ruins and Izalith. Poor Solaire, I didn't like it but I had to put him out of his misery. :(

Entered the Bed of Chaos boss room and much to my surprise I one shot him. Didn't even die once, took me awhile to figure out what to do but just being careful during the fight made it surprisingly easy. Had 8 estus flasks on me too so that helped as well.

So now I had three of the souls for the lordvessel. Next it was time to finally explore the Tomb of Giants. I had wandered in there before but the darkness convinced me to put it off. I carefully worked my way around the darkness using my lantern, killing skeleton giants, sliding down pillars, got kicked down that pit, etc. Oh and fuck those skeleton dogs. Much to my surprise I managed to not die at all, I carefully advanced and retreated to bonfires when I had to. Well, I didn't die until I got down to the bottom, then a skeleton hiding around a corner kicked me off the ledge while I was attacking an archer. Damn sneaky skeletons. But I returned and quickly (and vengefully) dispatched of the lot. My next death was just ahead though, found a bunch of pinwheel looking demons who distracted me from the REAL danger down there: baby skeletons. They surrounded me and slowly staggered me to death, lol. Once again I returned and carefully got my revenge.

And then I came upon Gravelord Nito. What a cool looking boss, I died a few times to him learning the ins and outs of the fight, and dealing with his minions. Eventually I did beat him, but it took me a careful long battle and a bit of patience in order to do so. What a fun fight though.

So now I had all four of the lordvessel souls. But I didn't put the last one in yet, I don't know if the game ends after that or not, so I'm going to run around cleaning up loose ends before doing so.

Which brought me back to Anor Londo and the huge painting. I had the doll and I knew it had something to do with that paining, so I went to explore it and got myself sucked into it. And then learned that I was trapped in it, LOL. No other way but forward then. The Painted World was a cool area. Short, sweet, but interesting. Died a few times to those poison firebreathers and also to those annoying birdmen. Learned how to deal with both after a few fatal mistakes. I figured out how to get every soul I could see, some of them took some careful platforming. Attacked the undead dragon like the one down in Valley of Drakes, and carefully one shot him by using the stone wall for protection. Was angry to find more skeleton wheels down in the sewers, lol. Then I had a 300 re-enactment with some Spartan Skeletons, that was a fun fight actually. Eventually I found the large spear wielding lady in white, prepared for battle, and then discovered that I don't have to fight her at all. I simply walked out of the painting, hah. I don't know if I was supposed to kill her or not, I may go back and try it.

But she was so polite. Maybe I'll just let her live.

Now I found myself with only one place I could think of that was left to explore before putting the last soul into the lordvessel: The Great Hollow. I had found it while down in Blighttown long ago but never went back to explore it, so now was the time. This area was tricky, fell to my death many times while attempting to find hidden areas and shortcuts and such. There are still a few souls I can't find my way to, but shelved them for now and instead worked my way down deeper into the tree. Carefully dispatched curse frogs along the way and was amused to find more of the mushroom people from Darkroot Basin down here. I wasn't so amused when they punched my ass to death over and over again. But I cleared them out and then found myself walking into Ash Lake, which is one of the most pretty yet serene places I've seen yet in the game.

And that's where I am now. I've no idea how deep this Great Hollow goes, or where Ash Lake will lead me too. I do know there is a huge hydra in the distance, and he doesn't look friendly. But I get the feeling I'm near the end of the game. I feel overpowered most of the time now, and most of my deaths are more due to lack of tactics than anything else, once I learn how to fight a new enemy it goes pretty smoothly. I'll probably be putting in that last soul into the lordvessel in a day or two, no idea what will happen after that but it "feels" like the end is near.

Divius

^ Good stuff, your character looks bad ass.

That music in the Great Hollow ;_;

Also there were a couple of 'bugs' around Solaire, if you killed the glowing one which gives you the Sunlight Maggot which is helpful in Tomb of the Giants.

Chitown B

so, I beat Seath a couple days ago and then I went back to Sen's to grab some items. Also unlocked BHL's cage and let him out. From what I understand, his story and progress depended on being caged again in Duke's, and also I would be able to see him at Firelink. But since I already beat Seath, what happens?

edit: looks like this: "If you have already beaten Seath the Scaleless and haven't done anything with Big Hat Logan yet and you want to complete his quest, do the steps above, but skip the prison tower cage part in The Duke's Archives."

I've got lautrec's, the brass set is the one that the lady wears at the first anor londo bonfire, the fog door is something to do with the darkmoon people I think.

The white one? You have to follow Reah to the catactombs after the lordvessel stuff.

EDIT: Oh I remember
You have to enter the Darkmoon fog door then kill the boss

The white one? You have to follow Reah to the catactombs after the lordvessel stuff.
You can do Rhea earlier than that, she'll be in TotG after beating Pinwheel (since you can't get into TotG without killing PW) - not sure if you have to do Capra first since that's what triggers her to be in Firelink. It's always worth geting Rhea asap if you have a faith character. After Capra I go do Pinwheel and rescue her, and bone back to Firelink for early WotG cheapness goodness.

so, I beat Seath a couple days ago and then I went back to Sen's to grab some items. Also unlocked BHL's cage and let him out. From what I understand, his story and progress depended on being caged again in Duke's, and also I would be able to see him at Firelink. But since I already beat Seath, what happens?

edit: looks like this: "If you have already beaten Seath the Scaleless and haven't done anything with Big Hat Logan yet and you want to complete his quest, do the steps above, but skip the prison tower cage part in The Duke's Archives."
That's interesting, I've never left Logan that long. Tell us what happens when you find him Dukes, where he is etc.
Since it's killing Seath that turns him nuts/hollow
I assume it will skip the whole part where you can buy his spells and go straight to
the fight!

Griggs
will also turn hollow after Logan, and he can be found where you found his armour set and a spell, if you found them before

Randam

I had no idea where else to go, so I figured I would try the Capra Demon. I was so high leveled that I just hacked away at him and beat him no problem. Then I get a damn key to the depths.

I had no idea I needed to kill that demon. I thought it was optional. Jesus. Twelve hours later, I'm level 43 and in the depths. The good news is I've already defeated Sif and the Butterfly, so once I get out of the depths I'm in good shape.

They could have made it more clear where to go after the church bell!!

Anyway, I'm so happy. I'm finally on the right track again. I almost caved in and used a wiki. But finally persistence and stubbornness paid off.

so after the church, you went to lower undead burg, but didnt want to fight capra?

lol. :D

why?
did you think he was optinal?
right outside his room is a locked door too.

So I'm still on my first playthrough of the game and Steam says I've been playing it for 70 hours now and I finally got The Lordvessel several hours ago but haven't been able to progress further. I'm messing around in some library with that Mage that always respawns and all the crystal dudes.

Do I just suck or is the game really this long? How long does it take to finally beat it?

what does the timer on your savegame say?

range attack or roll back as fast as you can.

Deitus

That's interesting, I've never left Logan that long. Tell us what happens when you find him Dukes, where he is etc.
Since it's killing Seath that turns him nuts/hollow
I assume it will skip the whole part where you can buy his spells and go straight to
the fight!

Griggs
will also turn hollow after Logan, and he can be found where you found his armour set and a spell, if you found them before

No matter what order you do his quest in, Logan will not
go insane until you have both purchased all his spells, and defeated Seath. What is meant to be portrayed is not that Seath's death had any kind of effect on Logan, but that unrestricted access to the knowledge in the Archives was too much for Logan to handle. Seath was basically mad with his endless experiments to give himself scales and to achieve immortality, and Logan seemed to follow a similar path. I heard somewhere that the reason he is naked when you find him is he was trying to become a dragon.

Griggs
also needs to sell you all of his spells before he will go hollow.

Mistel

Banned

EDIT: Oh I remember
You have to enter the Darkmoon fog door then kill the boss
Leeroy's gear is another mini goal of mine. Does killing them have repercussions? Like when you kill Gywnevre goddess of sunlight cleavage?

Ah, got ya. You could be right!
Yeah I joined the dark moon people thing.

power level END. I have 36 END and Havel's, and I can mid roll Giant's Armor with a Claymore.
I'm only level 62 so raising endurance 8 levels doesn't hurt at all.

rugioh

Banned
I'm on my first playthrough and just finished off Gaping Dragon in the depths, would the Darkroot Basin/Garden be too high level for me to go to next? I think I'm around SL33 at the moment.

Mistel

Banned
I'm on my first playthrough and just finished off Gaping Dragon in the depths, would the Darkroot Basin/Garden be too high level for me to go to next? I think I'm around SL33 at the moment.
I went there about level 20 you should be fine really.

No matter what order you do his quest in, Logan will not
go insane until you have both purchased all his spells, and defeated Seath. What is meant to be portrayed is not that Seath's death had any kind of effect on Logan, but that unrestricted access to the knowledge in the Archives was too much for Logan to handle. Seath was basically mad with his endless experiments to give himself scales and to achieve immortality, and Logan seemed to follow a similar path. I heard somewhere that the reason he is naked when you find him is he was trying to become a dragon.

Griggs
also needs to sell you all of his spells before he will go hollow.
Ahh, you're right of course. I never bother with Logan unless I'm doing a sorcerer build, I always max out pyro and buy all the spells regardless of build so sorcerers are always expensive for me. When I don't use magic I always end up with a shit ton of souls by the end of Dukes because of not buying his spells.

Mistel

Banned
Yes, you lost your chance
to join the darkmoon covenant and the firekeeper will be hostile to you
I've already joined that covenant, I've ran into people who breath fire and look like dragons. Brass lady shouldn't be hard to deal with, I was worried it would go dark if I killed gywndolin.

Randam

am I the only one who has this problem with the PC version:

I am sitting at a bonfire, want to leave, the options window disappears, but my character doesnt stand up.

Overdoziz

Banned
am I the only one who has this problem with the PC version:

I am sitting at a bonfire, want to leave, the options window disappears, but my character doesnt stand up.
Gotta restart the game. I've had it happen whenever I change back to human form very quickly after sitting down.

Ferr986

So I decided to change my last character and continue its walkthough playing as Ornstein, just for fun. Sadly the Dragonslayer spear sucks. Its lightning bolt is fun to use but makes the spear break even faster than a katana

JustinBB7

I'm in NG++ with a character and only have gwyn left but just sticking around the DLC area for PvP. I realized I had multiple fap rings now...

I googled but they don't stack :( that would have been funny.

Top Bottom