• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
TRY HOLDING WITH TWO HANDS
That's definitely something I wouldn't mind doing.

Summoning as s friendly phantom goes as follows: I solo Ornstein and do most damage to super smough by myself. Host doesn't heal me or gets themselves killed by evading into attacks :/.

May the goddess of cleavage have mercy... :p.

Chitown B

That's definitely something I wouldn't mind doing.

Summoning as s friendly phantom goes as follows: I solo Ornstein and do most damage to super smough by myself. Host doesn't heal me or gets themselves killed by evading into attacks :/.

May the goddess of cleavage have mercy... :p.

yeah people either really know what they're doing with O&S or they die immediately.

TraBuch

Banned
Think I can get the rare weapon trophy before Tuesday? Gonna start from scratch with a faith build character so I can get all the miracles, then the weapons trophy will be the last one I need.

Seance

Banned
am I the only one who has this problem with the PC version:

I am sitting at a bonfire, want to leave, the options window disappears, but my character doesnt stand up.

Don't reverse hollowing immediately after resting. Wait a sec or 2.

goddamit

fighting seath would be much easier if I didn't have to spend 10 minutes killing those fucking annoying oysters. why allow other npcs into the boss fight?

this is really more annoying than sens fortress

Seance

Banned
goddamit

fighting seath would be much easier if I didn't have to spend 10 minutes killing those fucking annoying oysters. why allow other npcs into the boss fight?

this is really more annoying than sens fortress

Except you don't have to. Also you've got fucking problems talking shit about Sen's, that area is legit.

Mistel

Banned
Except you don't have to. Also you've got fucking problems talking shit about Sen's, that area is legit.
I don't think it's fair for you to act like this just because someone doesn't share your viewpoint.

Out of all 11 Ornstein and Smough fights I was summoned for only one person when for Ornstein as the second phase. They had full silver knight armor that I didn't know you could get.

I don't think it's fair for you to act like this just because someone doesn't share your viewpoint.

Out of all 11 Ornstein and Smough fights I was summoned for only one person when for Ornstein as the second phase. They had full silver knight armor that I didn't know you could get.

yeah they seldom drop it. I got it too. :p

edit: its not a drop. Treasure: Found in a chest guarded by two Silver knights in Anor Londo just before the boss room.

wow seath was incredibly easy. all you gotta do is stay on his front left/right tail and just hack away. you don't even get hit.
It depends on his attacks, you can get hit there (and cursed).

I think Seath is the boss fight I die most in when doing co-op because most hosts want you to cut the tail, so staying at the back of the room, often I'll get one-shotted by him smacking his tail down. A bit like Quelaag, the AI can go a bit nuts when there are 2 or 3 players. Not a problem if you plow points into VIT and can take the hit, but I've usually got base HP or just a couple points above that.

AlexBasch

I just killed Seath as well, didn't have an issue with it at all. Just rolled around and kept my shield up at all times to avoid the crystal spikes.

Heck, the most trouble I had is that I had the clam-things follow me into the area and had to juggle them as well, and they made more damage than Seath itself.

So, apparently next up is Lost Izalith, where I hear it's quite awful and I'll hate my life even more. After Blighttown, Sen's Fortress and Duke's Archives, I'm curious about that.

MG310

The boss is the only rough part of Izalith - it's just that the level itself is pretty weak with only one enemy you actually have to engage with.

Deitus

So, apparently next up is Lost Izalith, where I hear it's quite awful and I'll hate my life even more. After Blighttown, Sen's Fortress and Duke's Archives, I'm curious about that.

Lost Izalith isn't really hard, just poorly designed and annoying. You'll see when you get there. There are some obnoxious enemies in the lower parts, but you can ignore most of them and not really miss out on anything (they have no drops, and don't guard any worthwhile treasure). The boss is poor though.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Do you mean this armor?

CFwq8ee.jpg

I'm not even sure where I got it from, but I've had it for about half of the game. It's my favorite armor so far, the only time I change it out is for when I want something lighter for quicker rolls. My goal is to get my END up high enough that I can fast roll in the silver armor.

mannerbot

Do you mean this armor?

I'm not even sure where I got it from, but I've had it for about half of the game. It's my favorite armor so far, the only time I change it out is for when I want something lighter for quicker rolls. My goal is to get my END up high enough that I can fast roll in the silver armor.

It's on the first floor of Anor Londo in the trophy room.

So I actually managed to kill the four kings :eek:

Then another serpent showed up and talked to me, I think I'm going to align with this one instead tbh. I've already killed both of Gwyn's children :lol

Chitown B

That's interesting, I've never left Logan that long. Tell us what happens when you find him Dukes, where he is etc.
Since it's killing Seath that turns him nuts/hollow
I assume it will skip the whole part where you can buy his spells and go straight to
the fight!

Griggs
will also turn hollow after Logan, and he can be found where you found his armour set and a spell, if you found them before

So I had to go to talk to Griggs and then he appeared at Duke's in the book room. I can buy spells. I'm sure he's still there, until I go to "the other room"

Deitus

Just beat Kalameet on NG+. I had a much easier time with him the second time around, and even managed to beat him on my first try. Ironically, I managed to cut his tail off, and I was not even trying for it. It took me like 10 tries to cut his tail off on the first playthrough.

Just Manus and Gwyn left.

Fuck yeah, I just beat Chaos Witch Quelaag on my first try. Also Blighttown wasn't really that bad. The biggest problem was the framerate but other than that I got through it without much frustration.

Mistel

Banned
Ha! I like the cut of your gib.

You got some levels to spare, right?
What can I say, I do like other girls....

That's nine levels so I'd be level 70 by the time I could use it.

Sliver knight gear is treasure? I'm in anor londo being summoned for the boss fight, so that's a quick thing to grab.

kionedrik

Just beat Kalameet on NG+. I had a much easier time with him the second time around, and even managed to beat him on my first try. Ironically, I managed to cut his tail off, and I was not even trying for it. It took me like 10 tries to cut his tail off on the first playthrough.

Just Manus and Gwyn left.

How did you cut his tail? I've never managed to do it and it's driving me insane...

On a side note, is anyone else having GFWL issues (more than usual I mean) or am I the only one having the worst luck these last few days? I wouldn't complain, but being disconnected (twice) right after parrying one archer in AL or immediatly after giving the killing blow to a boss and being forced to do it all over again, is a bit too much...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
What can I say, I do like other girls....

That's nine levels so I'd be level 70 by the time I could use it.

Sliver knight gear is treasure? I'm in anor londo being summoned for the boss fight, so that's a quick thing to grab.

Ha! They are relevant to my interests also. XD

Sunlight Spear is pretty nifty though. Definitely something to consider.

I think it's in a room that is just past the spiral stairs from the bonfire. 2 spear wielding silver knights guarding 2 chests with stairs leading up, I believe.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I've got a character that was originally built to use sunlight spear etc and my god, the cast time vs damage just isn't worth it. Not worth the price of admission.

I've got a character that was originally built to use sunlight spear etc and my god, the cast time vs damage just isn't worth it. Not worth the price of admission.
Its more for safety and to give Miracles some distance attacking than anything.
Sunlight spear specifically? Yeah probably not. But use the Miracle boosting miracle and make sure you've got the best talisman for what you want.

Divius

So I actually managed to kill the four kings :eek:

Then another serpent showed up and talked to me, I think I'm going to align with this one instead tbh. I've already killed both of Gwyn's children :lol
Kaathe ftw, watch him drop thruthbombs and blow you mind.

Ferr986

Kaathe ftw, watch him drop thruthbombs and blow you mind.

Both serpents are assholes, honestly, and only tells you half-truths..
Didnt the people of Oolacile got fooled by Kathee into reawakening Manus? I remember Jester saying it

Deitus

How did you cut his tail? I've never managed to do it and it's driving me insane...

Kalameet is by far the hardest enemy to tail cut in the game, so I'm not surprised you are having trouble. He doesn't often leave his tail exposed, and when he does it is not for long. There are basically 2 moves he uses that will reliably give you an opportunity to hit his tail. But given his diverse moveset, he doesn't use either particularly often.

You basically have to bide your time, and wait for him to use these moves, while dodging his attacks and staying alive. It takes quite a few hits to actually cut the tail, so it will be a long fight. I would recommend using a high stability shield, and having the ability to fast roll for this fight. High magic resist in a shield would not be bad either for defending against breath attacks, but the Crest shield has poor stability, and you should really be dodging his breath attacks instead of trying to block them. Also kindle the nearby bonfire to the max, as this will take a long time and you may need to heal a lot. Then you just play defensively, dodging or blocking all of his attacks until he gives you an opportunity to hit his tail.

The best opportunity to hit his tail is when he uses the tail slam attack. If you can sidestep this attack instead of blocking it, you can get a good 2-3 hits in on it, depending on your weapon speed. You should unlock from him before attacking though, otherwise you will probably miss the tail. Unfortunately, this is the hardest attack to get him to use, because he only uses it if you are standing directly behind him, and he basically doesn't let you get behind him. The easiest way to bait this attack is wait for him to do his flying dive attack. Make sure he is not doing his flying breath attack obviously, or you will get roasted. You need to lock on to him when he does this, get the proper distance away from him, and stand firm with your guard up. When he dives into you, it will knock you backwards, but not break your guard (this is where the high stability shield comes in), though there is still a chance he will land on you after the dive, doing massive damage. It will take some practice to get in the right spot for this, but if you do it right, when you recover from the knockback you will be right behind him, near his tail. Don't try to attack yet, but wait to see if he raises his tail up. If he does, he will do the tail slam, but if not then you are going to have to try again to bait this move. If he is doing the tail slam, get ready, 2 hand your weapon if necessary, unlock from Kalameet, and move so that you avoid the tail slam but are still close enough to attack, and then wail on him as soon as you get the chance. Then repeat a dozen or so more times.

The other move he uses that allows you to hit his tail is when he rears up on his hind legs and does a breath attack on you. You have to be careful with this, as this attack looks very similar to his telekinesis attack, and if you run at him during that one he will hurt you bad. If you have identified this as his breath attack, you need to run directly behind him immediately (the flames will pass right over your head). Going between his legs doesn't appear to work, so you need to go around. Then unleash a running attack at his tail, and follow up if possible. When I did this, I only ever got one hit off on this, but I might not have been fast enough. However, one time he used a tail slam attack on me immediately after this, so I got another chance to hit him.

The reason I was able to get this without trying was not because it is actually easy to do, but rather because the fight dragged on so long that I just got a lot of chances to hit his tail, and I took them. The first time I was basically only attacking his tail until I got the cut. The second time, I was still playing defensively, and my enchanted weapon and magic attacks barely scratched him, so the fight took forever. If I had been more aggressive, I could have finished him sooner, and wouldn't have gotten the tail cut, but it also would have been riskier.

Both serpents are assholes, honestly, and only tells you half-truths..
Didnt the people of Oolacile got fooled by Kathee into reawakening Manus? I remember Jester saying it

Hawkeye Gough also mentioned
a dark serpent tricking them into awakening Manus and unleashing the Abyss. The Dark Lord ending is pretty vague as to what it entails, but it is pretty clear that it spells the end for all of Lordran (as we know it), and probably everyone in it as well. Kaathe is clearly using the player to achieve his goal, same as Frampt. The only question is whether the ends justify the means, and the long term benefit of beginning an Age of Dark is worth the destruction it will bring about.

chunk3rvd

I know this isn't the place for this but after staying strong on media blackout for 12 months I don't want to ruin things by wandering into the OT this late in the game. Hoping one of you can help me out.......

Still need to make my order for Dark Souls II on PS3. What's the difference between the standard and Black Armor Edition? I thought the BAE was a free upgrade for people that pre-ordered but ShopTo are charging £4 more for it? I assume I'm just getting a soundtrack and a tin for the extra £4?

Mistel

Banned
Still need to make my order for Dark Souls II on PS3. What's the difference between the standard and Black Armor Edition? I thought the BAE was a free upgrade for people that pre-ordered but ShopTo are charging £4 more for it? I assume I'm just getting a soundtrack and a tin for the extra £4?
Sound track and the tin along with some weapons at a earlier point than collecting them in game.

Chitown B

DLC doesn't have achievements, so i'm not sure why anyone is worried about collecting items from it, like tail weapons. Unless they really want to use it?

Top Bottom