• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
dunno. extra play time I guess.

I can't tell if you're being facetious. lol. There's a difference between story, and getting a certain weapon you might not even use, just to have it.

Simple: Some people like to collect stuff and don't need achievements to validate it.

kionedrik

Many people, myself included, set personal achievements and winning conditions, besides just beating the game. That's why you have people doing SL1 runs and speed runs, etc.

JustinBB7

Dark Souls might be converted into Steamworks and remove GFWL today actually. Would be the perfect time for a sale on it + steamworks/gfwl strip. Now that DS 2 preoder is up.

Chitown B

Yeah. I just don't get that. Not in today's age. It's why I don't like playing Nintendo games anymore - nothing to show I actually did anything. It's like I never played it. Even Steam has them now.

chunk3rvd

I can't tell if you're being facetious. lol.

Just winding you up mate. I've played well over 1000 hours across PS3 and PC and don't have the platinum/1000 on either. Just play for fun and not achievements

It's worth grabbing the Obsidian Greatsword because it wrecks shit at base stats (480 AR at +5) and it's one of the rarer unique weapons that can be buffed with magic/miracles for extra damage

kionedrik

Yeah. I just don't get that. Not in today's age. It's why I don't like playing Nintendo games anymore - nothing to show I actually did anything. It's like I never played it. Even Steam has them now.

Why do you need validation for something that should be done only because you have fun doing it? That's what hobbies are for.

Chitown B

Just winding you up mate. I've played well over 1000 hours across PS3 and PC and don't have the platinum/1000 on either. Just play for fun and not achievements

It's worth grabbing the Obsidian Greatsword because it wrecks shit at base stats (480 AR at +5) and it's one of the rarer unique weapons that can be buffed with magic/miracles for extra damage

Nice. That actually does look pretty decent and it's not that heavy. But it doesn't scale at all.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

You see I don't get that. You got memory cells or are you like that guy from Memento? ;P

Chitown B

Why do you need validation for something that should be done only because you have fun doing it? That's what hobbies are for.

I'm a score tallying person. I like my gamerscore, and my completion. 1000GS is an awesome feeling. It's tangible. You'll never get all of everything in a game, but at least you can have all the points. Once I have all the points I can move on.

So I made it to the Duke's Archives and then the Seath boss fight and he destroyed me. And now I'm in a cell, where do I go from here?

And wtf are these creepy squid things sliding around?

Chitown B

So I made it to the Duke's Archives and then the Seath boss fight and he destroyed me. And now I'm in a cell, where do I go from here?

Mr-Burns-Saying-Excellent.gif

^ Nice. Might pop online with one of my old faithfuls for a bit.

They have a nice (well sad) little backstory. Read lots of the lore on item descriptions of stuff in Dukes, it's a cool part of the story.

chunk3rvd

Look back on 300 games in your lifetime and tell me which ones you did what in.

I really don't get your logic tbh. In 30 years you can look back through a list of meaningless values and be reminded that you shot 200 pigeons on GTA or fully upgraded a sword in Assassin's Creed. How is that any kind of reward? It just caters to people's OCD tendencies. I'm speaking from experience too - I used to rent games and try and plough through them for trophies but I packed it in when I realised I was playing some games long after they stopped being fun just for that elusive platinum

Using the word tangible makes even less sense as well. Surely having a cool new sword to try out is more of a tangible reward than some arbitrary number that could be wiped from existence one day if MS decided to shut down their games division?

^ Nice. Might pop online with one of my old faithfuls for a bit.

They have a nice (well sad) little backstory. Read lots of the lore on item descriptions of stuff in Dukes, it's a cool part of the story.
Even the Man Serpents are scared of these things. This is definitely the creepiest part of the game so far, especially the music.

Chitown B

I really don't get your logic tbh. In 30 years you can look back through a list of meaningless values and be reminded that you shot 200 pigeons on GTA or fully upgraded a sword in Assassin's Creed. How is that any kind of reward? It just caters to people's OCD tendencies. I'm speaking from experience too - I used to rent games and try and plough through them for trophies but I packed it in when I realised I was playing some games long after they stopped being fun just for that elusive platinum

Using the word tangible makes even less sense as well. Surely having a cool new sword to try out is more of a tangible reward than some arbitrary number that could be wiped from existence one day if MS decided to shut down their games division?

your sword can more easily be wiped from existence from your save file (DS games famously corrupt) than your game progress from MS's servers. To each their own - I like the OCD part of it, so it's good for me.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Look back on 300 games in your lifetime and tell me which ones you did what in.

Do I have to...?

My favourite gaming moments aren't tied to achievements.

I didn't get an achievement for running away from the Lich Lord in Miscarand and finding out a week later that he'd chased me across Tamriel, slaughtering people in the city of Bruma to get at me (Oblivion).

I didn't get an achievement for sneaking into a GTA4 lobby and surreptitiously hunting my friend down in a helicopter across Liberty City for half an hour. Nor did I get an achievement for the look on his face when I told him it was me at a party the next day.

I didn't get an achievement for slo mo diving over a rocket and out of a window in Max Payne 3 and managing to pop the guy who fired it in the face as I went down.

I didn't get an achievement for killing the last three soldiers in 23 Skidoo (Cannon Fodder) by driving said Skidoo into them and accidentally killing my whole team. Didn't complete the mission but I did laugh my arse off.

More relevantly, I didn't get an achievement for the nail biting 20th attempt to take down Artorias solo, where I succeeding in running across the arena with a sliver of health in a last ditch attempt to stop him charging and end the battle.

You want 300? I got a thousand stories like that.

Mistel

Banned
I've been summoned for Ornstein and Smough 18 times now and I just had the second super Ornstein fight, I do really like the boss music. My phantom is now bright yellow and I've already got 8 sunlight medals :D.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I just like to complete things and check them off lists. That's how I game, now. And I enjoy it.

Fair enough :) but you can understand why people do things that aren't attached to achievements.

I've been summoned for Ornstein and Smough 18 times now and I just had the second super Ornstein fight, I do really like the boss music. My phantom is now bright yellow and I've already got 8 sunlight medals :D.

You're a sunbro now? Badass!

Chitown B

Fair enough :) but you can understand why people do things that aren't attached to achievements.

I guess. It's kinda more of a "if I got something but no one was around to see me have it, does it really matter?" if a tree falls in a forest.....

Moreso in single player games. Like Skyrim.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I guess. It's kinda more of a "if I got something but no one was around to see me have it, does it really matter?" if a tree falls in a forest.....

That's getting a bit deep, sir. :)

You were around to see it though, man. I don't quite get how obtaining an arbitrary achievement makes it any more meaningful than experiencing it for yourself. Most achievements are absolute time-wasting gash anyway. Is it really an achievement, in the truest sense of the word, to complete a tutorial or kill one hundred mooks or to host an online match...? What memories are attached to those?

It don't matter. I'm derailing the thread. You get your kicks how you get your kicks, but you're obviously a smart guy, I'm sure you can understand why someone would do something in a game without needing a digital pat on the head and signed certificate to say they had :)

Sooooo... That Bed of Chaos, huh? Ain't it a bitch. I'm using this run to actually see the end of Solaire's and Siegmeyer's quests. I managed (with a guide) to save Solaire (without the short cut...) and Seigmeyer. Now I'm on the Great Hollow... which is a stupidly tense area.

Chitown B

That's getting a bit deep, sir. :)

You were around to see it though, man. I don't quite get how obtaining an arbitrary achievement makes it any more meaningful than experiencing it for yourself. Most achievements are absolute time-wasting gash anyway. Is it really an achievement, in the truest sense of the word, to complete a tutorial or kill one hundred mooks or to host an online match...? What memories are attached to those?

It don't matter. I'm derailing the thread. You get your kicks how you get your kicks, but you're obviously a smart guy, I'm sure you can understand why someone would do something in a game without needing a digital pat on the head and signed certificate to say they had :)

Sooooo... That Bed of Chaos, huh? Ain't it a bitch. I'm using this run to actually see the end of Solaire's and Siegmeyer's quests. I managed (with a guide) to save Solaire (without the short cut...) and Seigmeyer. Now I'm on the Great Hollow... which is a stupidly tense area.

*high five* ;)

"I managed (with a guide) to save Solaire (without the short cut...)"

Whaaaaat???? I didn't think this was possible. Oh wait..... did you
kill the bug through the wall?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I read in another thread that GFWL might just be taken out of Dark Souls on steam any day now. I also found out that when it happens all of our save games will be wiped, because GFWL encrypts them or something and they won't be compatible with the new steam saves.

o_O !!!!!!!!!!

Man, I am so CLOSE to the end of it now, I have 88 hours into this save, and I don't want to lose it. If I just turn off auto-updates will I be okay, or am I essentially screwed? Do I need to call in sick tomorrow and finish the game up in preparation?

Prepare to Die indeed. Just one more way in which Microsoft has cut me deeply in my life...

Chitown B

I just need one more jolly co-op summoning and kill a boss to get down to only needing 10 faith to see the sunlight covenant. then I can grab that achieve. ;)

I stood around for like 45 minutes waiting last night at O&S and no one summoned. I'm level 72, maybe I'm too high. Worked before though.

JustinBB7

So I read in another thread that GFWL might just be taken out of Dark Souls on steam any day now. I also found out that when it happens all of our save games will be wiped, because GFWL encrypts them or something and they won't be compatible with the new steam saves.

o_O !!!!!!!!!!

Man, I am so CLOSE to the end of it now, I have 88 hours into this save, and I don't want to lose it. If I just turn off auto-updates will I be okay, or am I essentially screwed? Do I need to call in sick tomorrow and finish the game up in preparation?

Prepare to Die indeed. Just one more way in which Microsoft has cut me deeply in my life...

It might not delete your saves, people got their batman save files to work again as well. Plus it most likely won't be done today/this weekend anymore since all sales are already up. I hope next week.

I underestimated Dark Souls' difficulty, despite the Internet claiming how hard it was. "Oh, everyone is just exaggerating. It can't be that hard. There must be some way to game the system and get through easily." It's been a while since I've had a basic enemy in a game kill me. This is the first time a basic enemy in a game has killed me five consecutive times. I don't know if I'm going to love this game or loathe it.

In the interest of not getting slaughtered (hah, who am I kidding?), should I get rid of DSfix if it's lowering my framerate a bit?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Moreso in single player games. Like Skyrim.
Some people play games to have fun and create their own challenges and experiences, instead of doing pointless busywork like killing 50 mooks with a grenade tag and farming gear they'll never use in-game just to inflate an e-peen for others to gawk at. Just sayin'.

kionedrik

I underestimated Dark Souls' difficulty, despite the Internet claiming how hard it was. "Oh, everyone is just exaggerating. It can't be that hard. There must be some way to game the system and get through easily." It's been a while since I've had a basic enemy in a game kill me. This is the first time a basic enemy in a game has killed me five consecutive times. I don't know if I'm going to love this game or loathe it.

In the interest of not getting slaughtered (hah, who am I kidding?), should I get rid of DSfix if it's lowering my framerate a bit?

Without spoiling anything, you're going the wrong way.

This.

Incidentally, don't let this experience trick you into thinking this is how the rest of the game will be. (Unless, of course, you keep wandering into places you aren't ready for.)

This.

Incidentally, don't let this experience trick you into thinking this is how the rest of the game will be. (Unless, of course, you keep wandering into places you aren't ready for.)

Gotcha. I'm highly considering making a new file as a Bandit. I'm pretty bad at resource management (i.e., spells, bows, etc.), so I think a strong melee class might be my best bet.

Chitown B

Some people play games to have fun and create their own challenges and experiences, instead of doing pointless busywork like killing 50 mooks with a grenade tag and farming gear they'll never use in-game just to inflate an e-peen for others to gawk at. Just sayin'.

but, I don't usually go for those types. Dark Souls doesn't have that. Except I guess if you count the "weapon upgrade" ones.

Chitown B

It might not delete your saves, people got their batman save files to work again as well. Plus it most likely won't be done today/this weekend anymore since all sales are already up. I hope next week.

you can't save locally? I thought people backed up their saves with hacks at least? DSFix

Gotcha. I'm highly considering making a new file as a Bandit. I'm pretty bad at resource management (i.e., spells, bows, etc.), so I think a strong melee class might be my best bet.

That's not a bad idea. It took me a few false starts before I figured out what playstyle worked best for me. I wound up preferring blocks to dodge, so I stuck with warrior. The game's pretty flexible, though - you aren't locked in to any particular style outside of what you level up.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
"I managed (with a guide) to save Solaire (without the short cut...)"

Whaaaaat???? I didn't think this was possible. Oh wait..... did you
kill the bug through the wall?

Yes indeed, sir. Could not be arsed to farm humanity for it. I knew it was a crime. I did it anyway.

leo-decaprio-shoulder-shrug.gif

Chitown B

LOL. I didn't know anything about it until I had already used him for the Centipede fight. Stuff like that is why you should still skim guides.

JustinBB7

you can't save locally? I thought people backed up their saves with hacks at least? DSFix

Doesn't matter, they're still GFWL saves and might not work when it changes to Steam. But since we don't know when it will happen or how, nobody knows what will happen with our current saves.

kionedrik

The truth is you're starting class matters very little. The game allows you to build any character in any way you want.

Top Bottom