• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Randam

am I the only one having huge problems trying to play online on PC?

I think I never got summoned yet.

only managed to summon a few dudes and never more than one.
there are summon signs all over the place, but I always get "summoning failed".

I almost never get invadet either.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
LOL. I didn't know anything about it until I had already used him for the Centipede fight. Stuff like that is why you should still skim guides.

I've played through the game a few times now and never completed their quests. With DS2 on the horizon I thought "fuck it".

Thing is, I'm not sure which is the better ending for him.
He seems a lot more... Umm... "fulfilled" when he does find his "sun".

Nerokis

LOL. I didn't know anything about it until I had already used him for the Centipede fight. Stuff like that is why you should still skim guides.

I'd say it's a perfect example of why you shouldn't skim a guide.
Killing Solaire
is still a perfectly legitimate outcome, and there's no actual need to do/see everything your first time through, especially at the cost of an actual sense of discovery. Going through Dark Souls blind was massively rewarding, and I don't think my experience would have been enhanced at all with a guide - quite the opposite.

Your mileage will vary, though.

Edit: I'm talking about your first playthrough, of course!

Mistel

Banned
First think I thought of when I saw the spoiler was dirty things... I'm undecided about solaire I mean I know you can kill him as I've seen people with this stuff but still it's like Priscilla for me.

I think anor londo is empty I've only see one blue person get killed in the last 30 minutes and only been summoned once. Summon me someone I don't bite... But whilst standing around doing nothing I've found an nice armor combination that looks good.

Chitown B

making a checklist of weapons I still need for Knight's Honor achieve....... lol. Uh....

Black Knight Greataxe
Black Knight Greatsword
Black Knight Halberd
Black Knight Shield
Black Iron Greatshield
Bloodshield
Channeler's Trident
Crescent Axe
Crest Shield
Grant
Gravelord Sword
Sanctus
Silver Knight Shield
Silver Knight Spear
Silver Knight Straight Sword
Stone Greatshield
Stone Greatsword
Velka's Rapier

Priscillas Dagger
Drake Sword
Moonlight Greatsword
Dragon Greatsword

Moonlight Butterfly Horn
Crystal Ring Shield

Chaos Blade

Dragonbone Fist
Golem Axe

Dark Moon Bow
Tin Dark Moon Catalyst

Dragonslayer Spear

Smough's Hammer

"Cursed" Great Sword of Artorias
"True" Great Sword of Artorias
Great Shield of Artorias

Lifehunt Scythe

Great Lord Greatsword

DLC doesn't have achievements, so i'm not sure why anyone is worried about collecting items from it, like tail weapons. Unless they really want to use it?

There's no achievement for beating the game at SL5, or for doing that and getting Kalameet's tail either. I did both though. :D
It's fun, and a personal achievement. I don't even pay attention to achievements in 99% of games. I honestly think RE4HD is the only one I ever even thought about them in. :/

Ferr986

I've played through the game a few times now and never completed their quests. With DS2 on the horizon I thought "fuck it".

I wonder if people turn Hollow when they are near their objectives. I mean, Solaire turns hollow when he "finds" his sun, dude from the Great Swamp (cant remember his name now) goes hollow when you tell him wheres Queelan, Logan goes hollow when he discover those old books he was interested in the library...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
First think I thought of when I saw the spoiler was dirty things...

Madam!

Simon_amstell_buzzcocks_shocked_and_appalled.gif

I'm undecided about solaire I mean I know you can kill him as I've seen people with this stuff but still it's like Priscilla for me.

I have absolutely no qualms in killing anyone. "Peaceful people" indeed.

I wonder if people turn Hollow when they are near their objectives. I mean, Solaire turns hollow when he "finds" his sun, dude from the Great Swamp (cant remember his name now) goes hollow when you tell him wheres Queelan, Logan goes hollow when he discover those old books he was interested in the library...

That...

...is a bloody good point.

Chitown B

So you don't even care about getting the achievements legit, you really just want the "ding!" to pop for your friends to see? XD

define "legit"? If you've ever summoned or been summoned, you're helping or being helped. If you've ever played anything online that has achievements, you're getting help. I mean, After already 90 hours into this, I feel I've paid my dues. It doesn't give me any more enjoyment to play the same game over and over again with slightly harder enemies, if I've already done everything.

define "legit"? If you've ever summoned or been summoned, you're helping or being helped. If you've ever played anything online that has achievements, you're getting help. I mean, After already 90 hours into this, I feel I've paid my dues. It doesn't give me any more enjoyment to play the same game over and over again with slightly harder enemies, if I've already done everything.

You'll be able to speed run the game once you get to NG+

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It doesn't give me any more enjoyment to play the same game over and over again with slightly harder enemies, if I've already done everything.
That makes sense. Which is why I don't bother with achievements. But apparently it gives you enjoyment to see "ding!" from holding a weapon you didn't forge/obtain yourself, which is far more bizarre. *shrugs*

Madam!
That...

...is a bloody good point.

I think it's more a matter of if you have purpose or not. I always thought that the Pyromancer went nuts because he saw you get this awesome chaotic pyromancy, and then he goes down into the swamp, only to be unable to find it (because Quelaan doesn't show herself to him), and goes nuts because he feels he'll never find it. Logan probably went crazy because he accomplished what it was he wanted -- he wanted more than anything to find the Duke's Archives, but did he have a specific reason for it, or just to see what he could do with it? Etc etc

only if you don't have to worry about getting all the magic and sorceries and weapons, etc. Plus if I haven't crafted all the types, I'll have to get the embers all over again.

That's why you take care of everything you can before going to NG+

You can get all the pyromancies and sorceries in NG, the miracles require NG+ (Sunlight Spear).

Mistel

Banned
Turns out you can kill a royal brass robot guard thingy with your fists, who knew? Two people summoned me and got gutted by Ornstein after I'd done most of the work for them :mad:.

Just a random ditzy question but that shield that heals you works as a phantom right?

Chitown B

That makes sense. Which is why I don't bother with achievements. But apparently it gives you enjoyment to see "ding!" from holding a weapon you didn't forge/obtain yourself, which is far more bizarre. *shrugs*

it's no different than someone bringing you home a sandwich. sure, you could spend 45 minutes to run out, order, grab food and come home - or you could just save time. It's not like at that point you don't know how to get to Sif again. At that point it's just a chore. I don't really like games with NG+ honestly, except Chrono Trigger maybe. I like to do everything in one run and not repeat myself.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My point is that you're equally hungry for that "ding!" as you are for, um... actual food apparently. You could, you know, just not get the trophy.

But whatever, I give up.

Just a random ditzy question but that shield that heals you works as a phantom right?
Probably, but the HP regen is so trivial it might as well not be there.

Mistel

Banned
Well what can I say I'm a very dirty girl...
I have absolutely no qualms in killing anyone. "Peaceful people" indeed.
Even the people who give you stuff? Did lautrec really love Fina that much to do what he did? I mean he was obviously kinda crazy...

Probably, but the HP regen is so trivial it might as well not be there.
Is it not as helpful as the grass crest then I was thinking of using it because of the iffy nature of host with regards to healing me as I do all the work for them.

I got summoned again soloed smough, super ornstein stabbed me and gutted me as the host just kinda watched, at least I did more than solaire...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is it not as helpful as the grass crest then I was thinking of using it because of the iffy nature of host with regards to healing me as I do all the work for them.

I got summoned again soloed smough, super ornstein stabbed me and gutted me as the host just kinda watched, at least I did more than solaire...
Grass crest is definitely more useful. If phantoms suck at healing you, and you really want to stay alive for them, pop a humanity.

Anyone able to get DS4 (or DS3 I guess) working on the PC version via Bluetooth? I noticed I can bring up the XBL guide stuff and the controls work on there but in the actual game nothing works.

Mistel

Banned
I think you need to pop into BritGAF. You'll fit in juuuust fine :)
How did you know I'm an Essex girl?

At the end of every run, I kill absolutely every NPC to get their stuff... Ruins the role play a bit but meh.
Make sense I suppose, how can I be a true sunlight warrior without it plastered over myself? Just out of general interest can you go to the bit where solaire goes bonkers before killing Nito or is it harder?

Yeah the Sanctus sucks, if you have the faith to use that, you're better off using heal or greater heal to heal yourself if the host is clueless about healing phantoms. I always bump faith up to 12 for heal even if I'm not doing a faith build just so I can heal myself in co-op.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How did you know I'm an Essex girl?

I didn't. You're showing as UK on Xbox Live when I've gone to message you. :) Funnily enough, my wife's from Essex. Small world blah blah etc.

Make sense I suppose, how can I be a true sunlight warrior without it plastered over myself? Just out of general interest can you go to the bit where solaire goes bonkers before killing Nito or is it harder?

I'd go before, just to get a nifty item to help you out with Nito. It's a bit of a slog. One of the most beautiful and poorly designed parts of the game.

Finally had a chance to play again! Continuing from where I left off...

I decided I would head back into Anor Londo to see if I could kill that left over headless demon guy, and I managed to do it! It only took me like 20 Levels from last time I saw him, hahahaha

Anyways, I headed down the hallway of the newly opened path in Anor Londo. The two bull guys weren't much trouble, and the hallway seemed not too bad. I thought, "What could go wrong? This seems pretty good so far!" Then, I walked through that fog gate and lost 40,000 souls... Darn it, Seath! I'll get you for that!

Duke's Archives wasn't really that bad. Everyone here had been making it sound like something awful, but the enemies weren't too bad. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the bonfire on the ground floor where the archer could shoot you. I was trying my best to kindle that thing, but I was shot and the menu kept refusing to pop up. Then, I got invaded and murdered by some PVP guy who knew exactly what they were doing. It was more frustrating because I was killed by lag, since I died before they ever even swung... Then I got killed shortly after that, because I had to finish kindling one more time to get the 20...

Found another onion knight outside, and it seems she's the daughter of the other guy! I hope they reunite at some point. The onion knight, while essentially worthless, has been a fun character to see popping up here and there.

Making my way down into the crystal area was terrifying because of the risk of dropping. Whoever it was that wrote those messages to show the invisible walkways- God bless you. Oh man, I would have been so utterly lost if not for the people who did that.

Stumbled into Seath at the bottom, and decided I didn't want to die. I ran behind him and started attacking, in hopes of avoiding the previous death I had suffered. Luckily, I cut his tail off for some kind of super bizarre sword with only magic stats. Anyways, I just kept trying to keep as far to his side/back as I could, and I took him out my first try! Well, first try if you don't count the first rigged encounter where you can't hit him!

Warped back to Firelink and leveled twice/bought some things. I guess I'll head back downstairs to the Pinwheel area, now. Gonna go back to Anor Londo eventually and get those butterflies... Maybe.

Mistel

Banned
I didn't. You're showing as UK on Xbox Live when I've gone to message you. :) Funnily enough, my wife's from Essex. Small world blah blah etc.
Was I? I don't even remember setting up the profile. The stuff they say about Essex girls isn't true... well most of it. I'm not exactly like most other girls anyway.

I'd go before, just to get a nifty item to help you out with Nito. It's a bit of a slog. One of the most beautiful and poorly designed parts of the game.
Ooh that sounds helpful I'll go that way then instead of down. Is it like cute flaws or bad awful flaws?

I'll steer clear of sanctus then, how about grant?

yeah I can already tell that demon firesage is gonna be a real pain in the ass

just fuck demon ruins in general

There's very little reason to fight anything at all in the entirety of Demon Ruins/ Lost Izalith. It's the worst stretch of the game, the only comparison is New Londo Ruins for that area's sheer cheapness.

The biggest problem I've always had with Demon Firesage is that it almost always starts with a really delayed overhead that tricks you into dodging too early. Once you can dodge that, the only thing you need to be careful of is the AoE, which can be dodged by standing a bit behind it or just far away.

There's very little reason to fight anything at all in the entirety of Demon Ruins/ Lost Izalith. It's the worst stretch of the game, the only comparison is New Londo Ruins for that area's sheer cheapness.

The biggest problem I've always had with Demon Firesage is that it almost always starts with a really delayed overhead that tricks you into dodging too early. Once you can dodge that, the only thing you need to be careful of is the AoE, which can be dodged by standing a bit behind it or just far away.

hmm..

i did skip most of the enemies, but i just stopped playing after i got trampled on by dfs.

ill probably beat him tomorrow

Toxi

Banned
I just realized a dumb Easter egg: You know how every starting set appears at some point in the game? Most of them are on corpses in dangerous areas, showing how each class met their doom.

Some spoilers

• Warrior: In the Gaping Dragon's boss room.
  • Bandit: In the giant rat's chamber; the bandit also managed to lodge a Battle Axe in the rat's eye.
  • Knight: Submerged in the hydra lake.
  • Thief: Stowed in one of the hollow thieves' homes.
  • Sorcerer: Stuck in a barrel next to Griggs of Vinheim; it's implied to be treachery.
  • Hunter: On a high ledge in Darkroot Basin above the Black Knight.
  • Cleric: On a ledge in the Catacombs above the Wheel Skeleton room.
  • Wanderer: Somewhere in upper Blighttown. Presumably killed by the blighted.
  • Pyromancer: Lying in the poisonous Blighttown swamp.

The one exception to this rule is the Deprived class. The Plank Shield is just found in a treasure chest hidden behind an illusory wall. Ironically, the worst-equipped class was also the only one that survived Dark Souls.

EDIT: And I'm wrong; the chest had humanity and was behind a body carrying the plank shield. Poor guy didn't make it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My SL1 run has been going well but now I'm stuck at
Manus
. Just can't seem to, well, not die. Must have tried like 30 times according to the number of green blossoms I've used and only ever got as far 2/3rd of his health tops. I might cave in and summon
Sif
... >_> not sure he'll make a huge difference, mind, since he does so little damage, and my problem isn't that I don't heal on time usually (I either survive the hit and manage to heal, or get OHKOed) so the distraction probably won't do much good.
[*]Bandit: In the giant rat's chamber; the bandit also managed to lodge a Battle Axe in the rat's eye.
That's not quite right. You're thinking of the great axe somehow? The bandit set is on the bridge with all the blue drakes in the Valley of Drakes.

Interesting observation about the plank shield, haha.

Toxi

Banned
That's not quite right. You're thinking of the great axe somehow? The bandit set is on the bridge with all the blue drakes in the Valley of Drakes.

Interesting observation about the plank shield, haha.
You're right; I was confused because the Spider Shield appears in the giant rat's chamber. It does have a battle axe in its eye though.

And it turns out I was wrong; the Plank Shield was actually on a body in front of the original illusory wall. Sorry about that. Turns out the Deprived died sitting right in front of a chest full of humanity. Not as funny as what I originally remembered, but still funny.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized a dumb Easter egg: You know how every starting set appears at some point in the game? Most of them are on corpses in dangerous areas, showing how each class met their doom.

Some spoilers

• Warrior: In the Gaping Dragon's boss room.
  • Bandit: In the giant rat's chamber; the bandit also managed to lodge a Battle Axe in the rat's eye.
  • Knight: Submerged in the hydra lake.
  • Thief: Stowed in one of the hollow thieves' homes.
  • Sorcerer: Stuck in a barrel next to Griggs of Vinheim; it's implied to be treachery.
  • Hunter: On a high ledge in Darkroot Basin above the Black Knight.
  • Cleric: On a ledge in the Catacombs above the Wheel Skeleton room.
  • Wanderer: Somewhere in upper Blighttown. Presumably killed by the blighted.
  • Pyromancer: Lying in the poisonous Blighttown swamp.

The one exception to this rule is the Deprived class. The Plank Shield is just found in a treasure chest hidden behind an illusory wall. Ironically, the worst-equipped class was also the only one that survived Dark Souls.

EDIT: And I'm wrong; the chest had humanity and was behind a body carrying the plank shield. Poor guy didn't make it.

Bloody good observation. I think the fact that the Deprived was that close to getting humanity is much funnier, in a bleakly perverse kind of way.

Toxi

Banned
What about the elite knight gear or all of the stuff from Astora that's literally everywhere?
The Elite Knight gear seemed deliberately set up as a trap with the tree guys and stone giants lying around it; presumably the forest denizens killed the knight and used the shiny armor as bait.

The Astora Straight Sword and the Dragon Crest Shield were on corpses between the claws of the undead dragon in the Valley of the Drakes. It's possible the dragon was already undead when it killed the owners, but I like to think that the two sides fought each other to the death. No way to tell now that they're dead.

Randam

so, about playing online with others:

The Elite Knight gear seemed deliberately set up as a trap with the tree guys and stone giants lying around it; presumably the forest denizens killed the knight and used the shiny armor as bait.
The Elite Knight set is in the forest I think because Oscar wears it, and I can't remember where I read it, but Oscar was meant to be more of a Solaire type character I think and he was summonable - in the forest, so that explains why his gear is there.

Here we go, cut dialogue is the source: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/unused-content#toc27

Mistel

Banned
The Elite Knight set is in the forest I think because Oscar wears it, and I can't remember where I read it, but Oscar was meant to be more of a Solaire type character I think and he was summonable - in the forest, so that explains why his gear is there.

Here we go, cut dialogue is the source: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/unused-content#toc27
That's cool I know Shiva was meant to be evil, I wonder what happened to that knight king Rendal who lead the balder knights? And how did Ricard end up in that tower?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Is your NAT type open or at least moderate?

Even with an open NAT though, summoning and invading have been problematic in Dark Souls on all platforms and PC having a smaller community doesn't help that.

rugioh

Banned
So I read in another thread that GFWL might just be taken out of Dark Souls on steam any day now. I also found out that when it happens all of our save games will be wiped, because GFWL encrypts them or something and they won't be compatible with the new steam saves.

o_O !!!!!!!!!!

Man, I am so CLOSE to the end of it now, I have 88 hours into this save, and I don't want to lose it. If I just turn off auto-updates will I be okay, or am I essentially screwed? Do I need to call in sick tomorrow and finish the game up in preparation?

Prepare to Die indeed. Just one more way in which Microsoft has cut me deeply in my life...

Whaaaat? I just bought the game last weekend! That would really blow to get my save wiped.. I should've bought for xbox 360 :(

Top Bottom