• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
I haven't done that with my SL91 (I saved him!) but I have with my SL110 (who is on NG+). If we are able to get a game together you are more than welcome to have it.

EDIT: You can summon my NG+ apparently but you'll need to be in range (10 levels + 10%).
I'm level 80 so i'm just below the 10 levels +10%. But that shouldn't take long I can go to anor londo with that ring that boosts the number of souls you get and farm there.

I've got a +9 bastard sword hopefully that's enough for killing nito...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
OK, I think I'll try farming for a silver spear.

Excellent choice, sir.

I'm level 80 so i'm just below the 10 levels +10%. But that shouldn't take long I can go to anor londo with that ring that boosts the number of souls you get and farm there.

I've got a +9 bastard sword hopefully that's enough for killing nito...

Coolio. I may be online later tonight, but definitely on tomorrow. Just hit me up when you want the exchange.

NinjaBoiX

I got the silver knights spear, had that golden serpent drop ring and 6 humanity, took about 6 attempts. But I need two more points on strength to wield the spear properly. 10 minutes in the painted world should sort that out!

:p

Mistel

Banned
Coolio. I may be online later tonight, but definitely on tomorrow. Just hit me up when you want the exchange.
Thanks :D, I just did Nito first try that was easier than I expected. And I've mucked up getting Kirk's armor as well I only killed him in the depths and lost izlath :(.

Chitown B

just farmed all the silver knight stuff in about 4 visits to the trophy room.

So apparently silver knight sword and astora's sword are holy? Nice.

NinjaBoiX

Just spent an hour or so farming and fiddling (souls in Painted World and the clams in Crystal Cave for twinkling titanite). I've got the silver knights spear up to +5 and all of my shadow set to +3.

Divine Weapon sorted and my ninja suit is coming along nicely. Nito next I guess, oh fuck!

Mistel

Banned
Just spent an hour or so farming and fiddling (souls in Painted World and the clams in Crystal Cave for twinkling titanite). I've got the silver knights spear up to +5 and all of my shadow set to +3.
You might already have one but have you tried the balder side sword? it scales really nicely with dexterity and the moveset along with it's reach aren't that bad at all.

NinjaBoiX

You might already have one but have you tried the balder side sword? it scales really nicely with dexterity and the moveset along with it's reach aren't that bad at all.
I have one, just never really used it. There are loads of weapons I want to try, the Falchion is quite fun to use.
And obviously I have my Pharis bow for range, and now my silver knight spear for divine. Might make my fire Iaito +5 chaos instead as that does fire damage anyway right?

To be honest, using anything other than a katana feels like sacrilege for a ninja!

You only need the divine weapon for his skellies you know not Nito himself, any old thing will do, same weapon you used in the Catacombs would be fine.

NinjaBoiX

Oh yeah I know, I was just speaking generally about the katana thing. I was joking too, I'll probably rock the Falchion at some point just to mix things up. It's move set interests me.

So chaos path for the Iaito, good idea? I'm keeping around 5 humanity on me at all times these days, it's so useful for farming.

TraBuch

Banned
Holy shit, I just discovered I could zoom in with bows. Can you do that in Demon's Souls, too? How have I been playing these games for years and never known this?!

6for8

Oh yeah I know, I was just speaking generally about the katana thing. I was joking too, I'll probably rock the Falchion at some point just to mix things up. It's move set interests me.

So chaos path for the Iaito, good idea? I'm keeping around 5 humanity on me at all times these days, it's so useful for farming.

The Falchion and Iaito both scale really well with dexterity (your build, right?) so it would be a waste making them fire or chaos. Take something like the Zwei, Claymore, Axe or a Halberd down the fire path. A +5 chaos weapon is better than a +10 fire weapon if you have active humanity in your counter, max damage at 10 humanity.

Mistel

Banned
Right I've made it to the crystal caves is there a bonfire by any chance actually in there? I've got to the gold golem so far.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Where's the fastest place to find a divine weapon? I can't recall.... I usually just brute-rush the Catacombs necros.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Astora's Straight Sword is quick indeed but it's complete crap, sadly.
Where's the fastest place to find a divine weapon? I can't recall.... I usually just brute-rush the Catacombs necros.
If you already went to Anor Londo, you can pick up the occult club and downgrade it to divine+5 at Andre's. If not, just pick any random weapon, make it +5, then farm green shards from the slugs in Blighttown (they'll drop 5 at once every now and then, do this twice and you have enough for divine +5).

Chitown B

speaking of Slugs - I just tried to farm off the ones in Depths at the bonfire with 410 item discovery, and got zero, twice. lol. wtf?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
speaking of Slugs - I just tried to farm off the ones in Depths at the bonfire with 410 item discovery, and got zero, twice. lol. wtf?
Not those slugs (I call those black slimes I guess), meant the slug-shaped things in Blighttown... the slimes do drop large shards sometimes, but it's fairly rare.

Mistel

Banned
Nearly did Seath but then I died, that lightning spear is really helpful. I'll get some of the lightning resin and try again later.

ok so I managed to kill the centipede demon today. pretty easy.

i go to new londo to get the fire keeper soul and immediately get attacked by the crestfallen warrior. at first I didn't know who it was and was confused because I was offline so it couldn't have been another player. anyway, I dispatched him and got the firekeeper soul and I go back to firelink where I find a bonfire that's been randomly upgraded from 10 estus to 20. is this normal?

Overdoziz

Banned
Isn't it? I've got a giants halberd that has lightning by default I could use that instead. I was attacking to the left and the back tail tentacle things.
Well once you're at the right of him he'll rarely hit you and if he does you can heal up quite easily. Shouldn't take too long to take him out.

AlexBasch

I really feel like Dark Souls starts up good, gets awesome in Anor Londo, and the last areas end up being a slog.

I dislike Lost Izalith. Sorry if I'm a filthy casual for not appreciating the intrincacies of hardcore, complex and superior Japanese level design, but the whole place is just...ugh.

Dresden

I really feel like Dark Souls starts up good, gets awesome in Anor Londo, and the last areas end up being a slog.

I dislike Lost Izalith. Sorry if I'm a filthy casual for not appreciating the intrincacies of hardcore, complex and superior Japanese level design, but the whole place is just...ugh.

Almost no one likes Lost Izalith.

AlexBasch

Almost no one likes Lost Izalith.
It really took me a lot of effort to grab and try to finish Dark Souls after falling in love with Demon's, now that I'm near the end, I still prefer the levels of DeS looking back into it.

Sure, Valley Of Defilement was bad, but Boletarian Palace, Tower of Latria and Shrine of Storms were far more challenging and better designed than some of the areas in this game, IMO. Both games are good, but I'd stick with the areas of DeS myself.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It really took me a lot of effort to grab and try to finish Dark Souls after falling in love with Demon's, now that I'm near the end, I still prefer the levels of DeS looking back into it.

Sure, Valley Of Defilement was bad, but Boletarian Palace, Tower of Latria and Shrine of Storms were far more challenging and better designed than some of the areas in this game, IMO. Both games are good, but I'd stick with the areas of DeS myself.

I really don't think Valley was that bad and it sort of surprises me when I hear people say it. It was confusing and frustrating but I think it was meant to be. It wasn't a swell time but it also didn't feel like it was supposed to be. It's an incredibly oppressive area and it felt like it.

Chitown B

ah.

Question - do I have to buy all of Big Hat Logan's spells AGAIN if I already own them in order for him to "move on" to the last area? Because I went there after buying the last spell I didn't have, and he's not there.

edit: apparently you do have to buy them if you have them. Stupid Griggs selling me all those spells and wasting my souls. Now I have 68K souls to grind....

Deitus

The last trophy I needed was Knight's Honor (collect all rare weapons), and to get it I had to do a third playthrough up to the point where I can get to the Giant Blacksmith, and I had to kill Sif along the way since his soul is required for one of the last two weapons I needed. So I'm speeding through the playthrough, using shortcuts to skip to the bosses of the two bells without any of that in between stuff, and then somehow I forgot to actually kill Sif and made it all the way to the Giant Blacksmith.

So then I had to trek all the way back to Darkroot Garden from Anor Londo. At least it's a pretty straight shot with all the shortcuts unlocked, but its a lot of running to get there. I left my last bonfire in Anor Londo so that I could just homeward bone back after I was done with Sif. But then I stupidly got killed by the Forest Hunter NPCs on my way there, so I had to trek all the way back to Darkroot Garden again. Luckily that was the last of my troubles, and I was finally able to get the last trophy.

Platinum Get!

Now I just have to find something else to keep me busy until I get my copy of Dark Souls 2.

Randam

actually with 10 humanity and my serpent ring I got two shields and one sword in three attempts.

stone stuff took some time too.

the trident took a few hours..

Holy shit, I just discovered I could zoom in with bows. Can you do that in Demon's Souls, too? How have I been playing these games for years and never known this?!

you can :D

Dark Souls: Prepare to Summoning Failed Edition

are you on PC too?

it realy sucks how often I get a summoning or invasion failed.. :/

is there a trick?
something I can do?

I go back to firelink where I find a bonfire that's been randomly upgraded from 10 estus to 20. is this normal?
That's a thank you from Anastacia for restoring her soul (and tongue).

T
So then I had to trek all the way back to Darkroot Garden from Anor Londo. At least it's a pretty straight shot with all the shortcuts unlocked, but its a lot of running to get there. I left my last bonfire in Anor Londo so that I could just homeward bone back after I was done with Sif. But then I stupidly got killed by the Forest Hunter NPCs on my way there, so I had to trek all the way back to Darkroot Garden again. Luckily that was the last of my troubles, and I was finally able to get the last trophy.

Platinum Get!

Now I just have to find something else to keep me busy until I get my copy of Dark Souls 2.
Mwahahaha, I've been there - usually before the Lord Vessel so it's always a huge trek. Sometimes the simplest of things can kill you. Well done on the platinum :)

NinjaBoiX

Pretty good progress since the last post. I killed Nito (he quivered before my double handed, charcoal resined Uchi), went back to Oolacile and killed Artorias (really fun fight actually when you wait for your chance, nice dodge windows on his attacks), then had a little mooch around Oolacile Township. I've saved at the first bonfire, I'm going to pick things up this evening.

I still have Four Kings to vanquish, I'm dreading that fight, I hear terrifying stories!

Divius

Urgh I want to practice
Duke's Skip
but the road there is just such a pain in the ass, those crystal dudes do so much damage and are just a general nuisance.

Top Bottom