• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Took me awhile but I finally beat Dark Souls. The end boss and that Skelton Ball at the tomb of giants took me a dozen times. That tree boss was super frustrating too but I mostly died due to missing that jump. I think I beat it at soul level 70-72?

Can someone explain to me how I get the shop? I have the PC version and I heard its a different way to get the shop now, is that true? I just beat the darkroot basin stuff so where do I go from there?

Mistel

Banned
Can someone explain to me how I get the shop? I have the PC version and I heard its a different way to get the shop now, is that true? I just beat the darkroot basin stuff so where do I go from there?
There are multiple merchants which one are you referring to? As for after the basin I just did the garden right next to it and havel.

NinjaBoiX

There isn't a shop per se, but there are merchants dotted around the world. The nearest one to you is probably Andre in Undead Parish, he's at the bottom of the stairs where you fight the first Prowling Demon.

There isn't a shop per se, but there are merchants dotted around the world. The nearest one to you is probably Andre in Undead Parish, he's at the bottom of the stairs where you fight the first Prowling Demon.

There are multiple merchants which one are you referring to? As for after the basin I just did the garden right next to it and havel.

Dusk of Oolacile sorry I should have said. I beat the hydra though I read something about the dukes archives I have to do now?

NinjaBoiX

Dusk of Oolacile sorry I should have said. I beat the hydra though I read something about the dukes archives I have to do now?
If you want to go to Oolacile you need the broken pendant that is found near the start of Dukes Archives, which is straight over (past the bonfire on your left) in Anor Londo.

As for Dusk, sorry, I'm awful with the characters and where they are at which point. Andre is the only friend you need really. :p

Mistel

Banned
Dusk is round in a little alcove in a crystal thing that you kill to free her. Then she's a merchant you can summon. Have you got the lord vessel from cleavage goddess yet?

kionedrik

After you beat the hydra, reload your game and go around the left where the hydra was. You'll find a golden golem and when you kill it you can summon Dusk near a stone where the hydra was.

She will remain there till you place the lordvessel and open the duke's archives. After that you'll have to rescue her again (or get her spells from Elizabeth).

NinjaBoiX

Dusk is round in a little alcove in a crystal thing that you kill to free her. Then she's a merchant you can summon. Have you got the lord vessel from cleavage goddess yet?
See I had no idea about this. I all but ignore the characters in the game with regards to quest lines and stuff, I sometimes think I'm playing this game all wrong.

I'm just like, "what do I kill next, where is the merchant and where is the nearest bonfire". That's quite enough to keep me occupied!

No I have not, I figured my next stop would be blighttown? Ive been kind of following the IGN walkthrough

If you want to go to Oolacile you need the broken pendant that is found near the start of Dukes Archives, which is straight over (past the bonfire on your left) in Anor Londo.

As for Dusk, sorry, I'm awful with the characters and where they are at which point. Andre is the only friend you need really. :p

No worries, thanks for the help.

Took me awhile but I finally beat Dark Souls. The end boss and that Skelton Ball at the tomb of giants took me a dozen times. That tree boss was super frustrating too but I mostly died due to missing that jump. I think I beat it at soul level 70-72?
Everyone says "jump" when you can just drop/walk/roll down on to the branch.

70-72 is pretty decent, even underlevelled for a first time I'd say, congrats :)

Deitus

No I have not, I figured my next stop would be blighttown? Ive been kind of following the IGN walkthrough

Well you definitely need to go to Blighttown before you get to the part Stormtrooper mentioned (the cleavage goddess I mean).

But if you beat the Hydra you can get Dusk now. You have to actually quit out of the game and then reload it in order to trigger the event. Then you hug along the left wall of the area where the Hydra was, past the ladder, all the way to a dead end that should now have a golden crystal golem. Kill this and rescue Dusk. Then go back to the shore near where all the blue crystal golems are to find Dusk's summon sign. You can summon her, and she will become a merchant. After you have summoned her and talked to her once, go back to the area where you rescued her, and you can find her armor set (with an awesome head piece for mages).

Mistel

Banned
Well you need to kill the topless redhead spider lady so you can progress forward to Sens then to anor londo. Go in via valley of the drakes, if you've not done so getting the rusted iron ring will help in the swamp. Or just poison yourself with dung and casually walk around.

See I had no idea about this. I all but ignore the characters in the game with regards to quest lines and stuff, I sometimes think I'm playing this game all wrong.

I'm just like, "what do I kill next, where is the merchant and where is the nearest bonfire". That's quite enough to keep me occupied!
I'm like you I just like murdering stuff really. Like those phalanx's for their souls. I only knew she was there because I looked around the corner.

I've noticed that onion guys daughter says she's already killed him once.

Chitown B

slightly related. I was putting my summon sign down in the depths, trying to complete the sunbro levels for the spells. But for some reason I feel like it's cheating to summon anything other than a computer player during my first game. I know it's a dynamic and a part of the game, but I feel like it would spoil the bossfight for some reason.

Maybe its because it just ends so quickly whenever I get summoned.

but you can summon anyone from any playthrough. It's only based upon level. So, it's not really relevant.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't even know they where there, I just went outside killed the ghost and one jumped me.

The swines! It was NG+ so they hit a lot harder.

Fancy helping me tackle those Four Bitches? I had a quick jaunt down there on my own after you were mugged. Got promptly donked on the head and died.

Thanks for all your help, I managed to do it in the end. I have a few other questions before I decide to take on Blighttown.

I currently have a Zweihander +7 where is best to go from here?
I currently am using the Elite knight set of armour with the gargoyle helm with no upgrades is it worth upgrading these or as I am close to being able to level up just to that instead?

I am not looking forward to Blighttown I have heard bad things...

Mistel

Banned
The swines! It was NG+ so they hit a lot harder.

Fancy helping me tackle those Four Bitches? I had a quick jaunt down there on my own after you were mugged. Got promptly donked on the head and died.
Sure if we can do it I'll get the sunlight medal I need to rank up. So I got mugged protecting you and died, then you got brained? Hopefully it goes better this time. Can't I just stick my sign by the fog door?

Thanks for all your help, I managed to do it in the end. I have a few other questions before I decide to take on Blighttown.

I currently have a Zweihander +7 where is best to go from here?
I currently am using the Elite knight set of armour with the gargoyle helm with no upgrades is it worth upgrading these or as I am close to being able to level up just to that instead?

I am not looking forward to Blighttown I have heard bad things...
You can keep your Zweihander if you like it's moveset and reach. As for armor I used a mix of stone armor with +3 elite knight gear for blightown till anor londo.

I've used a claymore and thrusting swords weapons wise.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sure if we can do it I'll get the sunlight medal I need to rank up. So I got mugged protecting you and died, then you got brained? Hopefully it goes better this time. Can't I just stick my sign by the fog door?

I haven't got any Transient Curses (or anyway of getting more... I murdered the vendor), so I can't really hang around outside there trying to summon you. Sorry, we would have to do the long walk!

Chitown B

ah, vendor murder = not recommended. Especially since that dude sells you a spell which you need for completion. (FYI, you must talk to him again after killing 4K if you want to buy from him again and have him move to Firelink - found this out after awhile last night). However, the lady in the upper depths shortcut sells Transient Curses.

Meat, what level are you? I could help with 4K. 72 here.

Mistel

Banned
I haven't got any Transient Curses (or anyway of getting more... I murdered the vendor), so I can't really hang around outside there trying to summon you. Sorry, we would have to do the long walk!
Well I could just farm for them if you've killed that sewer merchant and the wizard plumber and give them to you. I'll just use mine and that thingy that boosts item discovery I had like 3 drop yesterday so some for you shouldn't take long. Or you could use a cursed weapon instead?

Sorral

Man, trying to do some PvP to get ready for DS2, but people still spam magic so much. It still feels so good to get GMB off and kill them though.

Which vendor? Ingward sells them in an unlimited amount and the female undead vendor sells up to 4. If you can get those 4 off her, you could probably use them to farm enough off the ghosts with some drop rate+. I forgot if someone else as a phantom can drop you some transient curses.

Can make that Cursed GS off Sif's soul too if you haven't made it yet.

man going back to the PS3 version after dumping 100+ hours into the PC version is jarring. Game is hideous and runs so poorly. Only a few more trophies left though!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
D'awww, you guys. Such a loving community! :)

ah, vendor murder = not recommended. Especially since that dude sells you a spell which you need for completion. (FYI, you must talk to him again after killing 4K if you want to buy from him again and have him move to Firelink - found this out after awhile last night). However, the lady in the upper depths shortcut sells Transient Curses.

Meat, what level are you? I could help with 4K. 72 here.

Which vendor? Ingward sells them in an unlimited amount and the female undead vendor sells up to 4. If you can get those 4 off her, you could probably use them to farm enough off the ghosts with some drop rate+. I forgot if someone else as a phantom can drop you some transient curses.

I’m SL110 on NG+ (360). I murdered Iggy to open the seal early (I want to join the Darkwraiths). I’ve exhausted all avenues of purchasable Curses, including the Undead chick. Thing is, once The Four Kings are done, I'd never need to go down there again.

Well I could just farm for them if you've killed that sewer merchant and the wizard plumber and give them to you. I'll just use mine and that thingy that boosts item discovery I had like 3 drop yesterday so some for you shouldn't take long. Or you could use a cursed weapon instead?

Sure but it’s only a short walk. Where you got mugged is like two seconds away from the Fog gate.

The ghost blades are also cursed, and if worst comes to worst you could actually get cursed (giggle!)

Too long to walk. Still pre-vessel. Fighting The Four Kings cursed isn’t an option, my VIT is pretty low on my SL110. Doing all the walking to get the curse removed after farming Transient Curses is a chore.

You can keep your Zweihander if you like it's moveset and reach. As for armor I used a mix of stone armor with +3 elite knight gear for blightown till anor londo.

I've used a claymore and thrusting swords weapons wise.

What about the Laito sword is that any good? Better than the Zwei and Drake? I just picked up the drake sword now and its at 200 damage whereas my Zweihander is at 222 or so at +7. Would it be worth now upgrading the drake a little for blighttown then using the Laito?

I love my Zweihander but whatever wants to do most damage is preferable.

What about the Laito sword is that any good? Better than the Zwei and Drake? I just picked up the drake sword now and its at 200 damage whereas my Zweihander is at 222 or so at +7. Would it be worth now upgrading the drake a little for blighttown then using the Laito?

Don't look at the damage numbers you see on the weapons themselves, they don't tell much.
Weapons have scaling and it's different for every weapon. Whether the Iaito is better than the Zweihander depends on your playstyle and whether you have more Dex or Strength. They play completely differently.
And if you can wield the Zweihander right now, odds are that just in that fact it's better than the Drake Sword, since the drake sword has zero scaling.

Mistel

Banned
Sure but it’s only a short walk. Where you got mugged is like two seconds away from the Fog gate.
As each lasts for about 5 mins and I've got 7 i'll give you a transient curse anyway it's more that long enough more me to kill pretty much all off them by myself but some back up wouldn't hurt. I've got a spare black knight halberd if you want it?

I don't use katana's Ninjaboi is better to ask about the Laito. Steer clear of the drake sword although it appears good it doesn't scale with stats and will cause more harm than good.

If you like the Zweihander then it's fine to stick with it, as long as you are fine with dumping points into strength and dex which is generally a good idea anyway. If you're inclined to ultra greatswords might I suggest killing the black knight in undead parish for a nice one?

Randam

the blue things? Those are so easy to kill, sucks you didn't take them out first.

like I said, I am playing with the agression mode.
had those guys, all the snake guys and a bunch of crystal soldiers comming for me.

want crystal magic weapon so much..

Deitus

Zweihander is considered by some to be one of the best weapons in the game. It really depends on your playstyle. It's much to slow for my tastes. Moveset matters more than raw damage numbers, especially since the highest damage weapons are very slow.

Iaito is a fantastic weapon, but it scares purely with Dex, so it's a bad fit it you are building Str. It's also much faster than the Zwei, but does less damage per hit.

Drake Sword is a noob trap. Don't bother with it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
As each lasts for about 5 mins and I've got 7 i'll give you a transient curse anyway it's more that long enough more me to kill pretty much all off them by myself but some back up wouldn't hurt. I've got a spare black knight halberd if you want it?

Sweet. We'll do that then, show those Four Bitches what for, eh?

Nah, that's cool. BKH... actually, all the BK weapons are my main for my STR build. My SL110 is DEX based and has a +15 Iaito (I love it so!) and a +14 Great Scythe... and other gnarly bits of death dealing equipment. :)

Randam

yeah, I would stop following that guide.

finding out stuff on your own is way more satisfying.

for weapons: you need to learn how scaling works.
drake sword looks nice, but it doesnt scale with any stats.

and it costs 10.000 souls to upgrade it to +1.

stay with your 2-händer or get something else and make it +10, or woh far you can.

elite knight set is good.
you can upgrade it, if you want.

As an addendum to what I said, the Iaito or Uchigatana are the best Katanas. If you're picking one of those you won't be disappointed, but play around with the Iaito before you kill the undead merchant for the Uchigatana. I believe the biggest difference in moveset are the R2 attacks -- Uchigatana does an overhead chop (Raises sword up, pauses, then slashes), whereas the Iaito does a quickdraw horizontal slash (Sheathes sword, pauses, then slashes). The Iaito's attack has a bit longer range, but is much easier to read (if PvP) and has more places where it'd ping off the wall.

Mistel

Banned
XD love this!
Well it's accurate. Is it what will happen if a Mario dark souls crossover happened?

Sweet. We'll do that then, show those Four Bitches what for, eh?
Yeah we can try how hard can it be to kill them? Maybe we can do it in my play though as well?

Nah, that's cool. BKH... actually, all the BK weapons are my main for my STR build. My SL110 is DEX based and has a +15 Iaito (I love it so!) and a +14 Great Scythe... and other gnarly bits of death dealing equipment. :)
I've only got the halberds. I wanted a black knight sword but no he had to roll of a cliff or there's the pair that I killed with that sadists sword in the asylum who gave me squat.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah we can try how hard can it be to kill them? Maybe we can do it in my play though as well?

How hard? Really hard. Honestly, I've been trying to solo them for weeks on NG+. It's the biggest sticking point I've ever come across in my entire time with the game. S & O and Manus coming a very distant 2nd & 3rd.

I'll help out, sure. They're fairly easy on NG, never had an issue with them there. I'll use my STR build if that's okay? He needs the Souls. :)

I've only got the halberds. I wanted a black knight sword but no he had to roll of a cliff or there's the pair that I killed with that sadists sword in the asylum who gave me squat.

Well, you'll be able to farm them all easily later on. My STR has them all, fully upgraded. The Axe is a beast!

Don't look at the damage numbers you see on the weapons themselves, they don't tell much.
Weapons have scaling and it's different for every weapon. Whether the Iaito is better than the Zweihander depends on your playstyle and whether you have more Dex or Strength. They play completely differently.
And if you can wield the Zweihander right now, odds are that just in that fact it's better than the Drake Sword, since the drake sword has zero scaling.

I don't use katana's Ninjaboi is better to ask about the Laito. Steer clear of the drake sword although it appears good it doesn't scale with stats and will cause more harm than good.

If you like the Zweihander then it's fine to stick with it, as long as you are fine with dumping points into strength and dex which is generally a good idea anyway. If you're inclined to ultra greatswords might I suggest killing the black knight in undead parish for a nice one?

Zweihander is considered by some to be one of the best weapons in the game. It really depends on your playstyle. It's much to slow for my tastes. Moveset matters more than raw damage numbers, especially since the highest damage weapons are very slow.

Iaito is a fantastic weapon, but it scares purely with Dex, so it's a bad fit it you are building Str. It's also much faster than the Zwei, but does less damage per hit.

Drake Sword is a noob trap. Don't bother with it.

Thanks for all your help guys I guess Ill stick with the Zweihander for now, I do love its moveset and I have gotten pretty good with it. What is the best upgrade path for it? Lightning, Chaos, or just +15? So far my build is mainly strength but Im going to start branching out if it helps with big weapons.

yeah, I would stop following that guide.

finding out stuff on your own is way more satisfying.

for weapons: you need to learn how scaling works.
drake sword looks nice, but it doesnt scale with any stats.

and it costs 10.000 souls to upgrade it to +1.

stay with your 2-händer or get something else and make it +10, or woh far you can.

elite knight set is good.
you can upgrade it, if you want.

I am enjoying the game and I get people that prefer going in blind but I prefer it with the walkthrough otherwise I would never get anywhere. It would satisfy me enough just to finish the bloody game first...

Chitown B

like I said, I am playing with the agression mode.
had those guys, all the snake guys and a bunch of crystal soldiers comming for me.

want crystal magic weapon so much..

ah. playing on 360, dunno what that is other than the obvious from its name. Seems like that'd be no fun.

Booshka

Thanks for all your help guys I guess Ill stick with the Zweihander for now, I do love its moveset and I have gotten pretty good with it. What is the best upgrade path for it? Lightning, Chaos, or just +15? So far my build is mainly strength but Im going to start branching out if it helps with big weapons.

I am enjoying the game and I get people that prefer going in blind but I prefer it with the walkthrough otherwise I would never get anywhere. It would satisfy me enough just to finish the bloody game first...

If you are leveling your Strength then go toward +15, Lightning and Chaos completely wipe stat scaling and only rely on the damage of the upgrade and your soft humanity count in the case of Chaos weapons.

I suggest 2 handing the Zwei as much as possible, you will do a lot more damage, stagger enemies quicker and harder when swinging 2 handed. You only really need to take your Strength to 27 for 2 handed scaling, so you can focus on other stats like Vitality and Endurance to get better stat gains rather than grinding out levels in Strength that wont help a whole lot.

Other Strength weapons you should be looking out for are the Great Club, Large Club, Demon Great Axe and Machete, Man-Serpent Sword and Reinforced Club/Mace. All of those weapons have excellent Strength scaling (better than the Zwei in fact) and will deal a ton of damage at +15.

Mistel

Banned
How hard? Really hard.
Dirty thoughts again..
I'll help out, sure. They're fairly easy on NG, never had an issue with them there. I'll use my STR build if that's okay? He needs the Souls. :) Well, you'll be able to farm them all easily later on. My STR has them all, fully upgraded. The Axe is a beast!
Yeah sure that's fine I can farm black knights later? Cool I assume they come from somewhere as they all got cooked.

I'd suggest +15 for it, chaos need humanity to be of best use and lightning doesn't get stat bonuses. Going after the nice big weapons? A person after my own heart then, have you got a grass crest shield yet? That will give you a stamina regen boost even if it's on your back.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
WTF, there are two endings?! My friend said there was another option at the end beside lighting the bonfire at the end. How was I supposed to know about the other ending?!

Randam

WTF, there are two endings?! My friend said there was another option at the end beside lighting the bonfire at the end. How was I supposed to know about the other ending?!

you look around the area you fought gwyn in and maybe realise, that the fog gate is open and then you get curious and look what happens when you go through it.

Top Bottom