• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

NinjaBoiX

Seath is one of the easier bosses. Just stand at the back in front of the sword and wait for him to do his breath attack. As soon as he does it (which will destroy the blade and give you time to get close) run to his right tentacle at the tip and just follow it round attacking when you have enough stamina. He can't hit you, or at least it's made very difficult.

Mistel

Banned
I just break the crystal thing myself I've only died when he pinned me in a corner and did a tail slam. But I've been going for the left and back tentacle.

Divius

I'm too busy playing!

edit: and staring at the sun:

67B697C57919013E0D2BA6DC330956F2DC5A988B
Took this baby into NG+, did Gargoyles, Quelaag and Sif in a row without fail. Dex builds are pretty sweet.

Joei

I'm too busy playing!

edit: and staring at the sun:

Took this baby into NG+, did Gargoyles, Quelaag and Sif in a row without fail. Dex builds are pretty sweet.

I started a new character a few weeks ago and did a STR build, and my god, I vastly prefer DEX builds and weapons than STR. I love the quicker weapons and style of play that DEX lends itself to over STR builds. I'm missing using Falchion's and Katana's. The slow weapons, although hard hitting, are harder to manage and the drop off in bow damage sucks. I've found myself trying to make different upgraded bows though to deal with the fall off from having less DEX. I'm getting DS2 soon and plan on doing a DEX build; it was my favorite in both DeS and DS.

Otherwise, I just got through Ariamis, and man, that's still my favorite area of the game. It reminds me so much of Demon's Souls. I love the overall design and the enemies, and it totally feels like another world so separate from what you're experiencing in the main game, I love it. I hope DS2 has something similar in it.

With the sequel coming out I thought I'd start this back up again with my Steam copy (still have 360 version, but no DLC)

Too many damn hoops to jump through trying to get it to work on Windows 8 :(

Might try some more, but the amount of time/effort needed to get it working, and then with DSFix after that is probably leaning towards too much.

S'pose I can just wait for DSII and not have the game bogged down with all the bullshit GFWL crap.

mannerbot

With the sequel coming out I thought I'd start this back up again with my Steam copy (still have 360 version, but no DLC)

Might try some more, but the amount of time/effort needed to get it working, and then with DSFix after that is probably leaning towards too much.

S'pose I can just wait for DSII and not have the game bogged down with all the bullshit GFWL crap.

What have you done so far? I'm on Windows 8 and all that I had to do was reinstall GFWL. I don't exactly consider setting up DSfix to require a substantial amount of effort either, considering it's simply unzipping a few files into a directory and then changing a few settings in a text file.

AlexBasch

Okay, question time fellas.

I just killed Four Kings (do I need to spoiler the bosses, by the way?) and now I'm ready to give the souls to face the last boss.

I'm SL79 but I'm not sure how NG+ works. Will I lose everything after beating the boss? Or should I farm, upgrade weapons and do other shit instead of going straight to the boss?

Chitown B

you won't lose much. You'll lose your progress though. You won't be able to warp and you'll lose your upgrade embers. Basically if you want to upgrade things and bounce around a bit, do it before the boss because once you beat him it's game over.

AlexBasch

you won't lose much. You'll lose your progress though. You won't be able to warp and you'll lose your upgrade embers. Basically if you want to upgrade things and bounce around a bit, do it before the boss because once you beat him it's game over.

Been checking the wikidot for the upgrades only, but this looks perfect for my question. Much appreciated! I have to fight the urge to finish this once and for all. :p

The issue is not windows 8, its gfwl and the absolutely borked version that comes with Dark Souls. Uninstall DS, (backup your saves though), go into program manager and uninstall BOTH copies of gfwl (one should be the program, and another the marketplace because lolbloat). Then Google up windows 8 gfwl, download, install, and sign in on that, THEN reinstall Dark Souls.
It ain't win8's fault.

kionedrik

I think DS2 DID actually kill this thread.

I got to admit, it's getting really hard avoiding everything DS2 related, still I am proud to admit I still stand strong if we disregard reviews footage.

Damn the late April PC release date.

Back on topic, is there any theory why there's a soul of a great hero (and afaik the only one in the game) inside a chest in Lost Izalith?

vocab

returned to the game after not playing it for 2 years. After being so let down by this game after demons I had to quit. The online is still shit no surprise there. I'm progressing now, and got to the painted world, but i'm baffled that i'm 30 hours into the game, and I do so little damage. What the fuck. I really want to like this game =/

Mistel

Banned
returned to the game after not playing it for 2 years. After being so let down by this game after demons I had to quit. I'm progressing now, and got to the painted world, but i'm baffled that i'm 30 hours into the game, and I do so little damage. What the fuck.
What weapon are you using? Also your stats might shed some light into why.

I think DS2 DID actually kill this thread.
upsetsolaire4el20.png

I don't think he's in the sequel :(.

Thursday you can roll right past those dogs with the ring of fog equiped.

returned to the game after not playing it for 2 years. After being so let down by this game after demons I had to quit. The online is still shit no surprise there. I'm progressing now, and got to the painted world, but i'm baffled that i'm 30 hours into the game, and I do so little damage. What the fuck. I really want to like this game =/
You haven't upgraded your weapon very much? Or maybe your stats aren't matching your weapon?

More details pls :)

vocab

23 vit
25 end
28 Str
14 dex
rest default.

None of the weapons i have do shit. Strongest weapon I have is Lighting spear +3 and have no materials to upgrade it further.

OK, so spears aren't really known for their damage, and elemental weapons (lightning, fire) remove stat scaling, so those points in STR aren't doing anything for you right now.

By the time you get to Anor Londo (you're in the Painted World right?) you should at least have picked up the ember to get a +10 weapon. You give it to Andre and he can ascend a +5 weapon (the first breakpoint in weapon upgrading) to +6 and then any blacksmith or yourself at a bonfire can take it all the way to +10. You're stuck in the Painted World so no weapon upgrading yet past +5 (that is if you bought the upgrade box and if you had any titanite to get a weapon that far). So you're going to have to slog it out until you get out of the painting. Minor spoiler about area boss
You don't have to kill it, you have the option to leave the area instead. You may want to do this and come back later

I would say two hand your weapon, use critical attacks as often as you can for max damage. You can come back to the painted world, you just can't get out once you're in, so you might want to get out asap, find and upgrade a weapon you like and then come back.

Look for a weapon in your inventory that takes advantage of those points you put into STR because that's what you're leveling up those stats for - to hit harder. Good luck!

NinjaBoiX

23 vit
25 end
28 Str
14 dex
rest default.

None of the weapons i have do shit. Strongest weapon I have is Lighting spear +3 and have no materials to upgrade it further.
Don't put any more on vitality, it's already too high. You should focus on endurance, endurance, endurance. And also your chosen weapon stat.

My vitality is at 16 and I'm at soul level 80+, it's an empty stat for people who can't dodge. ;)

vocab

OK, so spears aren't really known for their damage, and elemental weapons (lightning, fire) remove stat scaling, so those points in STR aren't doing anything for you right now.

By the time you get to Anor Londo (you're in the Painted World right?) you should at least have picked up the ember to get a +10 weapon. You give it to Andre and he can ascend a +5 weapon (the first breakpoint in weapon upgrading) to +6 and then any blacksmith or yourself at a bonfire can take it all the way to +10. You're stuck in the Painted World so no weapon upgrading yet past +5 (that is if you bought the upgrade box and if you had any titanite to get a weapon that far). So you're going to have to slog it out until you get out of the painting. Minor spoiler about area boss
You don't have to kill it, you have the option to leave the area instead. You may want to do this and come back later

I would say two hand your weapon, use critical attacks as often as you can for max damage. You can come back to the painted world, you just can't get out once you're in, so you might want to get out asap, find and upgrade a weapon you like and then come back.

Look for a weapon in your inventory that takes advantage of those points you put into STR because that's what you're leveling up those stats for - to hit harder. Good luck!

No idea if I ever picked up an ember. I dont have one in my inventory. What am I even upgrading to + 5 let alone 10?

mannerbot

No idea if I ever picked up an ember. I dont have one in my inventory.

If you got it, then you probably gave it to Andre (the blacksmith in Undead Parish) already. What's the highest upgraded normal weapon you have? If you can't ascend a +5 weapon to +6 then you didn't get the Large Ember yet.
It's in the Depths, in a chest next to the first butcher.

vocab

If you got it, then you probably gave it to Andre (the blacksmith in Undead Parish) already. What's the highest upgraded normal weapon you have? If you can't ascend a +5 weapon to +6 then you didn't get the Large Ember yet.

+5 longsword thats it.

NinjaBoiX

Also, remember to go to the "modify" option at the blacksmith to ascend not the "reinforce" option. This caught me out.

No idea if I ever picked up an ember. I dont have one in my inventory.
Have you been to the Depths? You can miss it entirely, but if you're following the logical sequence of events in the game it should be an area you have been to. If not, I'd make that your first port of call after leaving the painting :)

Embers are found under key items, so if you have any they will be there until you give them to the specific blacksmith who wants each specific ember - they will ask for it if you have it.

Where is paladin leeroys summon sign in the nito battle? cant find it

yes im human
He's not summonable in TotG, he's an invader only.

AlexBasch

It's pretty frustrating to not know what to upgrade. I keep reading about Uchis, Iaitos, BSS and other goddamn weapons I don't have. I only use a Lightning Gargoyle Halberd +4 but I suppose it's shit or something.

NinjaBoiX

It's pretty frustrating to not know what to upgrade. I keep reading about Uchis, Iaitos, BSS and other goddamn weapons I don't have. I only use a Lightning Gargoyle Halberd +4 but I suppose it's shit or something.
yes48u50.gif

Yes, strength weapons are slow and poopy pants.

Dex builds yo!

vocab

Have you been to the Depths? You can miss it entirely, but if you're following the logical sequence of events in the game it should be an area you have been to. If not, I'd make that your first port of call after leaving the painting :)

Embers are found under key items, so if you have any they will be there until you give them to the specific blacksmith who wants each specific ember - they will ask for it if you have it.

He's not summonable in TotG, he's an invader only.

Dont remember. I have enchanted ember.

The problem I have with this game is no sense of loot progression. I just tried weapons that benefit from strength but it does no damage. How am I supposed to progress with out grinding or backtracking? Hell armor seems practically worthless.

NinjaBoiX

I have 40 on DEX yet I use a Lightning weapon.

I'm doing this wrong, right?
Yes, elemental weapons forgo stat scaling. You should use the katana's man, they boss and shit.

Also, 40 dex, me too. Hi 5!

Also: I'm no expert at this game, others will offer better guidance. I thought the lighting spear was a strength weapon FFS! I do try though... :/

The problem I have with this game is no sense of loot progression. I just tried weapons that benefit from strength but it does no damage. How am I supposed to progress with out grinding or backtracking? Hell armor seems practically worthless.
Loot progression in Souls is more about upgrading your gear than looking for that next amazing weapon to replace the one you picked up last area. You come across a lot of loot, but you're going to want to stick to using just a small number because like you say it would take a lot of grinding for materials and souls to upgrade the lot.

Best thing to do is find a weapon type you like (fast/stabby, slow/heavy hitting, somewhere in between etc) and look at what stats it scales with (the letter grading) and then when you level up those same stats your bonus damage will increase. Upgrading your weapon is really important, like #1 important thing to do - that's basically 'loot progression' in Souls.

Elemental weapons are useful in some situations and early on, but I would always have a main weapon that is upgraded along the standard path. Have a look at this chart for the various upgrade paths: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

Your STR weapon won't be doing a whole lot until you upgrade it, and by Anor Londo, +5 ain't gonna cut it no. If you have any Black Knight weapons you might want to give those a try, they upgrade with twinkling titanite. Also, when you two-hand a weapon it not only hits harder (and takes more stamina per swing) but you can also handle weapons you wouldn't otherwise have enough STR to one hand. I think it's a factor of 1.5, my math is horrible but I'm going to say that means a weapon requiring 40 STR to one hand would need...... 30 to two hand? :-? Something like that, if you don't have the stats for a weapon when you equip it the red cross lets you know any way!

Upgrade the weapon(s) you like the moveset of. That's it really - all weapons are viable, almost any weapon can take you through the entire game, so it's about finding a weapon style and moveset you like and upgrading that weapon. There's no magic weapon... well there is but you know what I mean :p

vocab

Loot progression in Souls is more about upgrading your gear than looking for that next amazing weapon to replace the one you picked up last area. You come across a lot of loot, but you're going to want to stick to using just a small number because like you say it would take a lot of grinding for materials and souls to upgrade the lot.

Demons was super straight forward. I put 150 hours into that game. Never ran into this problem at all. It just blows my mind that after 30 hours I have no sense of getting stronger. Compared to Demons I felt like I was getting stronger. Da2 looks to fix this problem I'm having completely. I'll never understand this game at all.

Top Bottom