• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

WTF, there are two endings?! My friend said there was another option at the end beside lighting the bonfire at the end. How was I supposed to know about the other ending?!

Yeah there is no way you could know about the other endning without a guide, the other ending is just leave the room when you entered.

Curious enough that could be the canon ending.

Mistel

Banned
Doesn't take much to set you off, eh? ;P
I suggest a cold shower. :)
Took you that long to figure that out then? :p Not really what a cold shower can cure..

Oh, yes. A very cool looking place too. Wicked, we'll see if we can't end my sorrows!
Ooh sounds like fun what time would you like to start? I assume it's accessed by the lord souls so I assume it's the final boss? I should start the dlc at some point...

What's the deal with "raw" weapons anyway? I've never quite understood it.
It's giving you a weapon that does more damage at the expense of stat scaling decreasing. Which i'm not sure is either a good or bad thing considering it just uses large titanite shards which are easy to get.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh sounds like fun what time would you like to start? I assume it's accessed by the lord souls so I assume it's the final boss? I should start the dlc at some point...

If I'm lucky, 9pm. If not, probably around 10pm. Looking like the latter at the moment.

You totally need to get on the DLC, it's awesome. I can co-op for that too with my STR build, if you're game?

Mistel

Banned
If I'm lucky, 9pm. If not, probably around 10pm. Looking like the latter at the moment.

You totally need to get on the DLC, it's awesome. I can co-op for that too with my STR build, if you're game?
I've just got to back to dark root then I can start the dlc. 9pm onward is fine for me really, we can do it after the four kings if you want?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've just got to back to dark root then I can start the dlc. 9pm onward is fine for me really, we can do it after the four kings if you want?

Sure thing.

I'll holler, yo. Werd. Etc. XD

giphy.gif

Just finished kill every single npc and finished the game. Wow, what an experience.

Great game, great atmosphere, I loved how most bosses/enemies didn't 'talk'. They just got down and dirty. No exposition, not justifications, no nothing. The only ones that did talk at all were the optional ones iirc (priscilla and gwyndolin.).

The armor design is also great, I love how 'used' everything looks. Most of the areas look great as well, they all 'feel' unique and have their own atmosphere, really draws you in.

Going in blind (for the most part) was such a great decision though, exploring and finding out paths, items and areas and having no idea where the hell you are, then realising how interconnected most of the zones are. Just feels great.

People really really oversold he difficulty though, I died more from falling off shit than bosses/mobs by far, and I can count on 1 hand the bosses that took more than 2-3 tries to kill. And it's not that I'm a good player, because I died more on DMC3 on easy than in this game by quite a bit I think, and I didn't even kindle any bonfires till Artorias (did dlc last b4 boss).

Still, a great game, but I don't have much motivation to play NG+ if it's just bigger health and damage numbers, but maybe the aggression mod might change that. DS2 is close anyways, and I really don't want to revisit tomb of giants.

For 2 I hope they:

- Fix the PC netcode, w/e it is it's horrible.
- More bosses like the DLC ones + gwyn/S+O.
- Balance Co-op so it doesn't make every single boss trivial (at least in NG). I played along a friend and did all my bosses solo (except centipede, did with solaire, did Gwyn /w solaire as well, but did again solo right after), and then he summoned me for his, and the it was a bit silly how much of a joke the game was Co-op.

Nitpicking side, it was a great experience and one of my favorite games of the generation. I really hope 2 can live up to it.

WTF, there are two endings?! My friend said there was another option at the end beside lighting the bonfire at the end. How was I supposed to know about the other ending?!

Ahah, I somehow didn't manage to see the bonfire at all my first kill and just walked out the (what I thought was empty) room and got that ending. When I went to go kill gwyn again solo (because doing it with solaire felt cheap) I found the bonfire.

Neither endings really made any sense to me though but w/e.

Gilga, look up Vaati Vidya's youtube videos, they'll explain the story. It's all done in its own out of the way method, and unless you really look into it you won't ever know the story.

NinjaBoiX

they're powerful for the cost you put into them. But they don't do any stats damage. It's a tradeoff.

you only need the large ember to make them and a +5 raw weapon is pretty good and "cheap"

It's giving you a weapon that does more damage at the expense of stat scaling decreasing. Which i'm not sure is either a good or bad thing considering it just uses large titanite shards which are easy to get.
Right, so it's a cheaper way to get a fairly powerful weapon but the trade of is poorer stat scaling.

Gotcha, thanks.

AlexBasch

Go suck a dick in hell, Bed of Chaos. Enjoy being dead.

I'm close to finish this and seriously, I'm getting quite disappointed on the last zones of the game. Here's hoping it closes on a high note, but yeah, people oversell the difficulty factor of the game.

Lost Izalith, Bed of Chaos, Gravelord Nito and shit are annoying, not difficult, but oh well, I'm getting there.

Chitown B

Go suck a dick in hell, Bed of Chaos. Enjoy being dead.

I'm close to finish this and seriously, I'm getting quite disappointed on the last zones of the game. Here's hoping it closes on a high note, but yeah, people oversell the difficulty factor of the game.

Lost Izalith, Bed of Chaos, Gravelord Nito and shit are annoying, not difficult, but oh well, I'm getting there.

LOL.

Yeah, the last areas suck. Not very interesting at all. Duke's/CC is the best. but even CC is only cool looking - but not long or interesting after you figure out the trick.

Mistel

Banned
Go suck a dick in hell, Bed of Chaos. Enjoy being dead.Lost Izalith, Bed of Chaos, Gravelord Nito and shit are annoying, not difficult, but oh well, I'm getting there.
Nito died easily i just circled him and killed him without being hit. But speaking of the bed of chaos, this guy needed to be the summonable npc:
600px-Thing17.JPG

It shares the sound with the thing when it's getting burnt.

Well there you go. Danke Miss Trooper!
My pleasure I've got to upgrade my sadist sword to raw it just seems like a perfect thing to do.

Screaming meat do you have a set of thorns spare that I can have? I'll give you that dragon scale you wanted.

Chitown B

last night I went down to New Londo and right before you go to the first bridge, a guy ran up to me and fought me. Looked like a knight without a helmet. I eventually killed him. He wasn't colored, so I don't think he was an invader, but I'm not sure. I got 1K souls from killing him.

Arjen

last night I went down to New Londo and right before you go to the first bridge, a guy ran up to me and fought me. Looked like a knight without a helmet. I eventually killed him. He wasn't colored, so I don't think he was an invader, but I'm not sure. I got 1K souls from killing him.

That was the crestfallen Warrior. You know the dude chillin at firelink.

xBladeM6x

I was looking through all these "Saving Solaire" videos and how people do it, and I have never seen anyone do it the way that I did.

Basically I just talked to him in the beginning to get the White Soapstone, then when he's sitting in Anor Londo I didn't talk to him. I just went through the whole game, opened the shortcut through Izalith normally / killed the Sunlight Maggot, and then played up until the Gwyn battle, then went back and talked to him at all the places you're suppose to, and his marking was on the ground before Gwyn.

TL;DR - Don't talk to Solaire until you've already basically beaten the game, and follow his path from there, and you'll be able to use him against Gwyn.

Chitown B

I was looking through all these "Saving Solaire" videos and how people do it, and I have never seen anyone do it the way that I did.

Basically I just talked to him in the beginning to get the White Soapstone, then when he's sitting in Anor Londo I didn't talk to him. I just went through the whole game, opened the shortcut through Izalith normally / killed the Sunlight Maggot, and then played up until the Gwyn battle, then went back and talked to him at all the places you're suppose to, and his marking was on the ground before Gwyn.

TL;DR - Don't talk to Solaire until you've already basically beaten the game, and follow his path from there, and you'll be able to use him against Gwyn.

Alternately, do not finish all the dialog with Solarie in the Undead Burg and go through the rest of the game without him appearing at any of the other locations nor being able to summon him. When you reach Lost Izalith and go to the Chaos Bug area Solaire will not be there. Dispose of the bugs and return to the Undead Burg and he should still be at the bridge. Complete all his dialog at Undead Burg, Anor Londo, and the bonfire right after Centipede Demon. You may now head through Lost Izalith back to the Chaos Bug area and Solaire should be sitting on the ground.
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/solaire-of-astora

When I finished my co-op focused NG about a month ago, I received a messaged from the co-op phantom for the Gwyn fight thanking me since he had never seen Solaire used in that fight. :D

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What about the Laito sword is that any good? Better than the Zwei and Drake? I just picked up the drake sword now and its at 200 damage whereas my Zweihander is at 222 or so at +7. Would it be worth now upgrading the drake a little for blighttown then using the Laito?
This offends me far more than it should. ;_;

iaito. iaito. not Laito.

NinjaBoiX

You know I read it that way but my brain must not have liked the spelling...
I love the pronunciation of it:

"Ee-a-ee-to".

Fucking kickass sword too, the heavy attack is godly. I have it as a +5 fire sword but I'm going to modify it back to standard and get it to +14 along with my Uchigatana. Then decide which one to max out! (You only get one titanite slab per playthrough right?)

Katana's are the best in DS, love that shit.

Arjen

I love the pronunciation of it:

"Ee-a-ee-to".

Fucking kickass sword too, the heavy attack is godly. I have it as a +5 fire sword but I'm going to modify it back to standard and get it to +14 along with my Uchigatana. Then decide which one to max out! (You only get one titanite slab per playthrough right?)

Katana's are the best in DS, love that shit.

You can get three slabs guaranteed with the DLC,
- Stray Demon
- End of siegmeyers quest
- Chest in the Kalameet Arena
also the darkwraiths in new londo have a change to drop them

NinjaBoiX

You can get three slabs guaranteed with the DLC,
- Stray Demon
- End of siegmeyers quest
- Chest in the Kalameet Arena
also the darkwraiths in new londo have a change to drop them
Ah cool. So I can get my Uchi, Iaito and Pharis bow maxed, and maybe the Great Sythe too (I'm not a fan. ENB raves about it, so I grabbed it and upgraded it straight to +10, then decided it was too slow. It's super powerful though, probably worth having maxed out.)

But seriously, what are these quests you guys speak of? I don't think I've ever done one. I don't even know how to initiate one!

Also, isn't Stray Demon in Undead Asylum when you go back?

But seriously, what are these quests you guys speak of? I don't think I've ever done one. I don't even know how to initiate one!
Quests in DS aren't really logged or accepted like in other games, they're just shit that happens along the way and as long as you go through each "checkpoint" they continue.

Seigmeyer - you meet him several places along the way, resulting in the final one where you get the slab.

Other NPC questlines like Kirk, Lautrec, Rhea, Solaire etc. I think you really need a FAQ/guide to do them all, I certainly didn't do everything on my first playthrough some of it is conditional like 'don't do this area until you've met this dude' kind of stuff.

NinjaBoiX

Quests in DS aren't really logged or accepted like in other games, they're just shit that happens along the way and as long as you go through each "checkpoint" they continue.

Seigmeyer - you meet him several places along the way, resulting in the final one where you get the slab.

Other NPC questlines like Kirk, Lautrec, Rhea, Solaire etc. I think you really need a FAQ/guide to do them all, I certainly didn't do everything on my first playthrough some of it is conditional like 'don't do this area until you've met this dude' kind of stuff.
Ah, OK. Well I always talk to NPC's when I see them in case they have goodies, but I can't say I make a habit of doing it every time I see them. And I never know where they've gone when the move! Hmmm, I've probably missed out on most of them, maybe NG+ eh?

Four Kings when I get in from work tomorrow, Manus is kicking my ass! :/

Mistel

Banned
Also, isn't Stray Demon in Undead Asylum when you go back?
It was there since the get go I'm sure I saw it on the way out. It's just you can kill it when you go back.

Not sure if I've ever got it. I'll take a looksee.

I'll be on in minute but also on call.

EDIT: Nope. No set of Thorns on any of my builds. I'm afraid.
Oh well i'll have to get him next time. Sorry if I wasn't much help really I got mugged and grey things grabbed me.

But at least I'll get a lightning balder side sword at some point. I'm not sure what to do with the sunlight sword I mean I like the moveset so I might use it later for another upgrade path.

so i killed BoC pretty easily today. will kill nito tomorrow and then open up the Kiln so i can farm some black knight halberds off of the halberd wielding knights. need to send out gwyn in a big black +14 halberd BANG!
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

An-Det

Finished the game tonight, what a fantastic experience. I ended up getting home and digging in for a long session, ended up killing Kalameet, Manus, and Gwyn tonight. Kalameet and Manus were fantastic fights, really all the dlc bosses were fucking great. Kalameet killed me a fair number of times, but figuring out his patterns was wonderful, that fight was perhaps the most intense in a while as far as stamina management goes. Manus wasn't too tough (I say this as a level 91-ish havel armor-wearing tank) but was really fun to fight. Gwyn was a pushover after beating the dlc bosses, but still fun and had a badass sword.

I had a blast, and am definitely considering going back in for a second run when it gets converted to streamworks and mixing things up with how I build. Really looking forward to DS2 next month even more now.

I had a blast, and am definitely considering going back in for a second run when it gets converted to streamworks and mixing things up with how I build. Really looking forward to DS2 next month even more now.

Gilga, look up Vaati Vidya's youtube videos, they'll explain the story. It's all done in its own out of the way method, and unless you really look into it you won't ever know the story.

I'm definitely going to check those out. So many times when going through the game I thought to myself that I'd like to know more but didn't want to go googling around mid-game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
so i killed BoC pretty easily today. will kill nito tomorrow and then open up the Kiln so i can farm some black knight halberds off of the halberd wielding knights. need to send out gwyn in a big black +14 halberd BANG!
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

Sorry, guy. They only go to +5. Still, one of the best weapons in the game.

Oh well i'll have to get him next time. Sorry if I wasn't much help really I got mugged and grey things grabbed me.

But at least I'll get a lightning balder side sword at some point. I'm not sure what to do with the sunlight sword I mean I like the moveset so I might use it later for another upgrade path.

Hey, we nearly got them the first time. That was about the second best I've done with The Four Kings. After we parted ways I did some PvP in Oolacile with my other build. I actually won a few matches, too. Huzzah!

Mistel

Banned
I'd prefer move Gywnevre paintings although my productivity would plummet.

Hey, we nearly got them the first time. That was about the second best I've done with The Four Kings. After we parted ways I did some PvP in Oolacile with my other build. I actually won a few matches, too. Huzzah!
We actually did something the first time? I had no idea what was going on well now I'm going to farm for titanite chunks. Once I get a balder lightning sword I'll kill tentacle dragon.

What would you lot upgrade a +10 sunlight straight sword to?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
We actually did something the first time? I had no idea what was going on well now I'm going to farm for titanite chunks. Once I get a balder lightning sword I'll kill tentacle dragon.

We did. Basically, you got to hammer the grey thing until it dies and before more come out. If it goes purple or unleashes some purple, you have to back away or block, respectively.

Tentacle dragon...?

Top Bottom