• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

NinjaBoiX

Demons was super straight forward. Never ran into this problem at all. It just blows my mind that after 30 hours I have no sense of getting stronger. Compared to Demons I felt like I was getting stronger. Da2 looks to fix this problem I'm having completely.
I don't know what to say to this. I feel like a beast compared to what I was a few weeks back. Two shotting Darkwraiths, aww yeah!

Mistel

Banned
Never understood the Solaire love...
Well he likes stareing at the sun and can throw lightning at things. What's not to like plus his sunlight straight sword is great fun to use.

Plus if I said my favorite character was Gwynevre because she's a redhead with godly cleavage which is hot. You'd probably I'm some sex obsessed maniac.

Yes, strength weapons are slow and poopy pants.
ibc2txIiIfm9wT.gif

The mushroom and I disagree. Strength weapons are great.

I need 10 more faith to use the great lightning spear and grant :(. How does attunement scale up does it offer you more slots?

Finally started the game for the first time last night, guess I've clocked about 4 hours. Just beat the Gargoyles after probably 40 minutes of running to them and dying haha. I really have no idea what I'm doing stat/build-wise, just potshotting points into various stats that feel right but may end up being entirely wrong, and trying to take various pointers from around the net. Game seems really good though. Guess this is how I'll spend the wait for DS2 on PC haha. The general traversal and exploration is really great, no idea how I'm going to defeat bosses worse than that though ha.

Nordicus

Finally started the game for the first time last night, guess I've clocked about 4 hours. Just beat the Gargoyles after probably 40 minutes of running to them and dying haha. I really have no idea what I'm doing stat/build-wise, just potshotting points into various stats that feel right but may end up being entirely wrong, and trying to take various pointers from around the net. Game seems really good though. Guess this is how I'll spend the wait for DS2 on PC haha. The general traversal and exploration is really great, no idea how I'm going to defeat bosses worse than that though ha.
Don't worry. Since you've managed to beat the Gargoyles and are still enjoying yourself, you're definitely hardheaded enough to go through any boss. Many ragequit far before that point. There will be harder fights, but at that point numerous retries will be routine, and your gear possibilities open up, thus your strategies will too

Just don't put any points in Resistance or stats that you're fairly sure you're not going to use, and you'll do fine. Equipment (and spells) is far more important anyway

The issue is not windows 8, its gfwl and the absolutely borked version that comes with Dark Souls. Uninstall DS, (backup your saves though), go into program manager and uninstall BOTH copies of gfwl (one should be the program, and another the marketplace because lolbloat). Then Google up windows 8 gfwl, download, install, and sign in on that, THEN reinstall Dark Souls.
It ain't win8's fault.

What have you done so far? I'm on Windows 8 and all that I had to do was reinstall GFWL. I don't exactly consider setting up DSfix to require a substantial amount of effort either, considering it's simply unzipping a few files into a directory and then changing a few settings in a text file.

Finally fixed it after some googling. Got the game and everything to work now :D

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I spent the last hour or so repeatedly attempting to best Artorias, and finally I did it:

Feels good man. Then proceeded to explore all of Oolacile Township, I really liked this area a lot. Gradually worked my way down to the shortcuts and then the bonfire which opened up into Chasm Abyss. The ghost things down there really freak me out:

Spent some time exploring and killing in the abyss, neat area. Found the fog gate which led me to my new brick wall in this game, Manus. Holy Shit am I having a hard time with Manus. Taking a break for now and going to play some Tokyo Extreme Racer for a bit before I have another go at him. There are some neat areas and bosses in the DLC, I'm glad I took the time to explore it.

Chitown B

got through all of Painted World without dying, and got everything. Got to Priscilla and tried to tail cut - NOPE. Died in like 3 hits. Then went back and died again. Lost 50K souls and 13 humanity. Lovely.

After many, many tries I finally made it all the way to Anor Londo with 0 deaths.

Really scared about O&S, though. =( Most bosses before them are fine as long as you're careful and take your time. You can't really afford to take your time on O&S though, since you're more likely to get destroyed by one of them when you can't see both at the same time. I'll probably summon Solaire and just try to take out Ornstein quickly. Super Smough is no big deal for me anymore.

AlexBasch

I feel very tempted to challenge Gwyn and take Dark Souls off from my backlog list.

I mean, I'd still play it again, but trying to "close everything" before the end is maybe too much for me now.

I feel very tempted to challenge Gwyn and take Dark Souls off from my backlog list.

I mean, I'd still play it again, but trying to "close everything" before the end is maybe too much for me now.

It may not seem like it but there is a LOT to do in Dark Souls. I still haven't done everything, though I've finally killed all bosses in one file, which is nice.

Chitown B

got through all of Painted World without dying, and got everything. Got to Priscilla and tried to tail cut - NOPE. Died in like 3 hits. Then went back and died again. Lost 50K souls and 13 humanity. Lovely.

finally killed her. two swipes with a claymore and she was staggered. Then it was just dodge and R2 a few times.

Only thing I didn't get in the whole place was her tail. :(

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Black Knight
weapons
, holly cow..they are so powerful.

First time never finished the game, it was an exploratory playthrough with a character at soul level 60.

Second time (recently, a few months ago) completed the game with a character at soul level 16, maintained the
lower soul level
so that I can join the
Darkwraith covenant and invade
. I never got most of the
Black Knight weapons
initially in this playthrough, got them near the end game.

So I just started a new game with a 'Warrior class' so that I can wield the
Black Knight weapons
and
Murakumo
with the least soul level and it started off with a blast.

--
My Playthrough
• Had picked up the the 'Master Key' at character creation to gain access to Havel and a shortcut to the Halberd wielding Black Knight.

• Killed Havel first for the ring and damn it was hard. This fight was easier previously, because I had encountered Havel late in my first playthrough and had 'Astora's Straight Sword' in my second one. 'Astora's Straight Sword' does a considerable amount of damage with backstabs to Havel, but required investing in faith (which inflated my soul level for that playthrough).

But this time I had weak weapons, tried to backstab Havel with every weapon..they are resulted in weak damage, finally purchased a 'dagger' from the undead merchant and killed Havel a bit faster (39 damage with a dagger backstab)

• With Havel's Ring and the shortcut route to Darkroot Garden gardens open, I progressed straight to the bonfire near the Halberd wielding Black Knight. Activated the bonfire, quit the game to the menu, made backup of my save (just in case the weapon doesn't drop) and loaded up the character. Luck or coincidence; Glitch, Estoc and then the Black Knight Halberd weapon drop, without reverting back to my save files backup.

Glitched past the the Black Knight as I ran/rolled/collided past him, 'Estoc' which I had found in New Londo Ruins helped greatly in the fight against the Black Knight. Fight ended in the open area above the bonfire, by two handing the weapon and using the strong attack which hits from a range.

• With the spoils of progression; Black Knight Halberd, Souls, some Twinkling Titanites, returned to Undead Burn to level up.

Exhausted all souls (and items which gives souls) to level up towards the figure I had calculated; soul level 18 (from soul level 4 of the 'Warrior Class'). Farmed three to four bonfire respawns of the weak undead and killed the lone Black Knight (unfortunately he didn't drop the Black Knight Sword).

Finally once I reached 22 STR and 18 DEX and was capable to utilize the Black Knight Halberd in two hands. Gotta admit the base damage of the Black Knight Harberd is insane for an unupgraded weapon, could kill the skeletons (in the graveyard next to firelink shrine) in one hit and the giant skeletons in two hits. Three bonfire respawns later, gained Murakumo from the first giant skeleton.

-> Objective achieved in around an hour and some minutes: Black Knight Halberd, Murakumo and capability to wield them both. Then decided to progress further. <-

&#8226; Taurus Demon...Taurus Demon died in one hit from the falling attack with an unupgraded Black Knight Halberd..one hit. (I never knew this)

Returned to the Undead Burg bonfire, put a summon sign..got summoned into a game where the character was a 'Deprived Class' at soul level 15. Havel died amazingly quick against the Black Knight Halberd, Tauras Demon required me and the host to do a single fall attack to killed it (since I was summoned, I guess the HP for Tauras Demon increased a bit).

Opening up the shortcut from between the dragon bridge and the bonfire in Undead Burg, thought I should upgrade the Black Knight Halberd and went to Undead Parish via Havels tower and through the Dark Root garden. Had enough Twinkling Titanites to upgrade Black Knight Halberd to +3 and enough souls to upgrade Murakumo to +5.

&#8226; Proceeded towards the Dragon Bridge from the Undead Parish side. The iron boar died in a single swing from back with Black Knight Halberd (I was surprised), Black Knight wielding the Giant Sword died in two swings too (was even more surprised).

Luck or coincidence; the Black Knight dropped the Black Knight Greatsword, I could wield the weapon in two hands and use it. (hadn't planned for this, but was able to utilize the weapon with the stats I had..in two hands)

Utilized bonfire at the Undead Parish to test the new weapon, the Black Knight Greatswords two handed strong attack does a unique move which literally bats enemies like baseball (amazing, I never tried it before)

...called it a day at this point

-----

I never tried this type of playthough, but amazed that Dark Souls is still surprising me.

YESSSSS...managed to beat O&S on my no deaths playthrough. Officially the furthest I've gotten. (My previous record was the Anor Londo rafters...)

I think the only two things I'm really worried about for the rest of the playthrough are the Centipede Demon and navigating the Tomb of the Giants. Centipede is just kind of unpredictable, and the awful arena can make for some awkward camera movements and deaths...I'm not doing all bosses or anything, so I'll probably just skip the DLC.

Anybody here completed a no deaths playthrough before? I know speedrunners do it all the time, but I'm actually fighting most enemies that I come up against, rather then just running past everything.

Oh yeah, and I'm also going to learn how to Duke Skip...ugh.

I never tried this type of playthough, but amazed that Dark Souls is still surprising me.

Awesome, those are indeed great weapons. I agree, almost 400 hours in and I keep finding new fun ways to play Dark Souls

Finally finished the game last night. First time I did so. Feels good :). Spent about 80 hours on it during the last month.

Nice job!

Everyone, this song about Blightown is pretty amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_h-NvMJK-c

Once you listen to that, make sure to listen to this tribute to Anor Londo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yw0wHQx9A

We need something like that for every area in the game.

Awesome, those are indeed great weapons. I agree, almost 400 hours in and I keep finding new fun ways to play Dark Souls

Nice job!

Everyone, this song about Blightown is pretty amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_h-NvMJK-c

Once you listen to that, make sure to listen to this tribute to Anor Londo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yw0wHQx9A

We need something like that for every area in the game.

Thanks, you 2 on the O&S no death achievement.

That Blighttown song is amazing btw.

kionedrik

Well he likes stareing at the sun and can throw lightning at things. What's not to like plus his sunlight straight sword is great fun to use.

Plus if I said my favorite character was Gwynevre because she's a redhead with godly cleavage which is hot. You'd probably I'm some sex obsessed maniac.

How does attunement scale up does it offer you more slots?

I understand that he is supposed to be the lovable companion, but he just feels 2D for me, a character with no depth, especially when compared with the remaining cast of NPCs.

Gwynevere's cleavage is the "real" prize for defeating O&S, so I'm not going to judge you :)

Attunement scales as following: 10/12/14/16/19/23(?) - 1 extra slot for each level.

Mistel

Banned
I understand that he is supposed to be the lovable companion, but he just feels 2D for me, a character with no depth, especially when compared with the remaining cast of NPCs.

Gwynevere's cleavage is the "real" prize for defeating O&S, so I'm not going to judge you :)

Attunement scales as following: 10/12/14/16/19/23(?) - 1 extra slot or each level.
I wouldn't mind having Kirk as a like buddy person he seems interesting.

Gywnevere is the best reward ever. I love redheads.

I'm upgrading attunement so I've got great lightning spear, sunlight blade and the bountiful sunlight for healing.

rugioh

Banned
I think DS2 DID actually kill this thread.

I'm still here! I just finished Blighttown so I still have awhile to go before the PC release of DS2. You guys were right, it honestly wasn't as hard as everyone touted it to be... maybe because on the PC version there isnt much of a performance drop in there and I came prepared with the poison sponges. Killed Quelaag in 3 tries, not bad.

At this point I'm leaning towards a quality build, I've got like 21 STR and 20 DEX at soul level 38-39ish. Lately I've just been leveling END, should I cap that out first or focus on STR and DEX for more damage?

Chitown B

left to do:

Kill Gwendolin
Kill Nito (and Paladin Leeroy)
Kill Gwyn

collect a couple final weapons/spells/miracles. I missed out on Quelana somehow and also the Rhea miracles.

Chitown B

welp, Quelana isn't showing up. So Pyro is screwed for NG.

Miracles - Rhea, gone. So that's screwed too.

Weapons - missed Priscilla's and Seath's tails.

Bah. Looks like NG+ for these. Except maybe the weapons since I could get someone to drop those for me.

Don't think she shows up if you've already killed BoC(?). Get pyros on NG+, you could drop down to Capra right from the start from either of the jumps in the Burg, free Laurentius, upgrade pyro glove to +10 run down to Blighttown and she should be there.

Then do Rhea since opening Depths makes her appear. Do Pinwheel, run down to Patches, rescue Rhea, bone back to Parish/Firelink. Like a boss /sunglasses!

Chitown B

Don't think she shows up if you've already killed BoC(?). Get pyros on NG+, you could drop down to Capra right from the start from either of the jumps in the Burg, free Laurentius, upgrade pyro glove to +10 run down to Blighttown and she should be there.

Then do Rhea since opening Depths makes her appear. Do Pinwheel, run down to Patches, rescue Rhea, bone back to Parish/Firelink. Like a boss /sunglasses!

haha, thanks. Good road map. Does my pyro glove go away in NG+? I already have a +13.

Chitown B

thanks.

still need many types of weapons (only held back by stupid slabs).

Anyone know if someone drops a fully upgraded type of weapon and you grab it, if the achievement will pop? I have Raw, Standard, and Enchanted. But I need the others.

Top Bottom