• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

NinjaBoiX

Just killed Four Kings, it's really not that difficult. As long as you run in close straight away, it's just a case of double hand slashing the bastards. It's actually one of the easier fights IMO.

Gwyn, I'm coming to kick your ass!

(After I've done the DLC.)

:D

I can't believe I nearly gave up guys, I've nearly defeated this motherfucker!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just killed Four Kings, it's really not that difficult. As long as you run in close straight away, it's just a case of double hand slashing the bastards. It's actually one of the easier fights IMO.

Gwyn, I'm coming to kick your ass!

(After I've done the DLC.)

:D

I can't believe I nearly have up guys, I've nearly defeated this motherfucker!

Honestly, if you get the chance try them on NG+. They are utter, utter shits.

NinjaBoiX

Honestly, if you get the chance try them on NG+. They are utter, utter shits.
In what way are they harder? As long as you're close, I just tanked the sword attacks and rolled out of the way of their grab and AoE attacks.

Do they spawn quicker or something?

I'd like to think I'll get a NG+ at least started, but I do have a lot of other stuff to be playing too. And DS2!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
In what way are they harder? As long as you're close, I just tanked the sword attacks and rolled out of the way of their grab and AoE attacks.

Do they spawn quicker or something?

They hit harder and have more health.

I do exactly the same: stay close and hammer them. I did them on NG over the weekend with my SL90+ and slaughtered them first go, so I know how easy they can be, but I've been trying to solo them with my SL110 on NG+ for literally weeks. WEEKS, I TELLS YA. I came close a couple of times but they always seem to win the battle of attrition in the end.

Check it:

New Game+ (and beyond). Of all the powered up bosses in NG+, it is generally held that the Four Kings are the deadliest. Even with high poise and high defense armor, their attacks whittle away at your vitality quickly and they have significantly increased health which can throw off timing and make it difficult to kill one before another appears.

NinjaBoiX

They hit harder and have more health.

I do exactly the same: stay close and hammer them. I did them on NG over the weekend with my SL90+ and slaughtered them first go, so I know how easy they can be, but I've been trying to solo them with my SL110 on NG+ for literally weeks. WEEKS, I TELLS YA. I came close a couple of times but they always seem to win the battle of attrition in the end.

Check it:
Nightmare fuel...
Yeah, that's the sort of shit that really fucks me off about this game.

Come on mane, are you kidding me?

Overdoziz

Banned
Wait, never mind. Was thinking of that thing where you automatically turn a corner when you run just past a corner. Can't turn that off can you?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also be damned sure that the "Camera Auto Recovery" is turned OFF.
Seconded. That auto-recovery is particularly deadly in the Great Hollow, and it annoys the shit out of me on that narrow bridge leading from the Gargoyle into the Painted Hall at the beginning of Anor Londo (makes the whole thing wobble strangely). I always play with off and never miss it.

Wait, never mind. Was thinking of that thing where you automatically turn a corner when you run just past a corner. Can't turn that off can you?

Uhhhmmmmm maybe? What this is is that when an object interferes with the Camera's position, the camera will try to avoid it. The one major instance I can think of it being particularly valuable to turn it off, is at the top of the pulley elevator in Blighttown. There's a ladder at the top of that to get to the upper levels, and just above the walkway leading to that ladder is a branch hanging down. If you have Camera recovery turned 'on', the camera will shift itself suddenly to the right, and since you're walking, you'll then walk left -- right off the edge of the walkway to your death. If you turn it off, it will not do this.

So if I have this right, turning off auto-recovery basically turns on clipping for the camera?

Not exactly, and I think you have that backwards anyway. It makes it much less aggressive, though it will still avoid going through blatant walls, so you can't just turn the camera until it shows you a void on the other side of a wall or anything. It's just much less prone to adjust itself to avoid branches and other objects, and will instead just phase through most of them.

NinjaBoiX

Ah well. I've never messed with the option and it's never posed a problem.

The camera does have problems, but that isn't one of them in my experience.

Mistel

Banned
I think I just whipped artorias's girlfriend? I'm not giving you his soul it's mine but she gave me her stuff so it's not a bad thing...

eot

Banned
I just noticed that the camera is more zoomed out when you fight Manus, presumably in other fights too. I have no idea how I didn't register that before.

kionedrik

Well I got those anyway. Is it only three bosses in the dlc the knight guy, dragon and that other one who is like evil?

and the sanctuary guardian.

The "knight guy" comment hurts me more than it should... And also a curse on all of you that kill Ciaran. Isn't killing her (hinted) man and his (their) dog enough?

AlexBasch

Enhanced the Estus Flasks, upgraded the important weapons (why do I need an Occult Club anyway, I don't have Faith) and took on Gwyn.

Shit, I was having trouble with him by actually playing it safe and trying to take my distance, but ended up taking him down quite easily with my +14 Uchigatana and just dodging his slow as fuck swings, then slashing him away.

Done, Dark Souls finished. Maybe I'll run a NG, but not just now, I'm "sick" of the game already. :p Maybe I'll do another of Demon's instead, haha.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Fuck Yeah!!!!!

E2927C7F5579E5408344D600452B7ED81FEC3115

219B9893591F699A473495EA29EEE04F3FAAEE93

0B00B98AD34DE8337A27C277B8CCB7EF9ABCD3DB

Manus finally lies dead at my feet! The only thing I have left to do is go back to Oolacile and hop down the waterfall area and see what's down there. After that all I have left to do (as far as I know) is to put the last soul into the lordvessel and see what happens next. I'm close to the end, I can feel it...

JustinBB7

Fuck Yeah!!!!!

Manus finally lies dead at my feet! The only thing I have left to do is go back to Oolacile and hop down the waterfall area and see what's down there. After that all I have left to do (as far as I know) is to put the last soul into the lordvessel and see what happens next. I'm close to the end, I can feel it...

Still using full stone armor that far in the game? Isn't Black Iron/Giant better if you're just going heavy/tank build? I've used stone early game a few times but then later switch to black iron/giants.

Edit: yea you can't even upgrade it, forgot about that.

Chaos Bed- worst boss fight in the game or worst boss fight ever? It's like they stopped working on it half way through and forgot it was in the game.

AlexBasch

Chaos Bed- worst boss fight in the game or worst boss fight ever? It's like they stopped working on it half way through and forgot it was in the game.
I get dying in the first Seath fight because of the sword that makes it immortal and whatever. But Bed of Chaos is made so you have to die, restart, die, and then have a crack at kill the inside of it. Fucking stupid fight.

Uff duh

Banned
So I just re-installed this off of steam after a upgrade to win8.1 from 7. I cant get games for windows live to work at all so I cant save my game. It says its installing then it says it cant connect check my network connection. my network connection is fine anybody heard of this and know how to fix it?

Havel

So I just re-installed this off of steam after a upgrade to win8.1 from 7. I cant get games for windows live to work at all so I cant save my game. It says its installing then it says it cant connect check my network connection. my network connection is fine anybody heard of this and know how to fix it?

Uninstall GFWL, then download and install it from here (assuming you installed the bundled GFWL with Dark Souls.)

Did you get everything from that side? If so forget the souls and move on. That trunk is a nightmare to walk on.

You'll have time to despair in Anor Londo
when you reach the arrow twins.

Yeah I got all the items over there, though im going to have to navigate it again to retrieve my souls.

I hate that part of Blighttown, died many times there. You can drop down to that area without walking across that branch at all though. It is the only way back though so I always homebone back rather than risk it. Grrrr.

There's a part in
the Great Hollow
that is similarly finicky/dangerous to walk over).

It really ruins the game for me, I think I was close to the first bonfire in Blighttown and then something stupid like that halts my progress.

Quick question, how would be best to farm enough souls to just buy a load of blooming purple moss clumps and a few arrows? I am not looking forward to this but I guess I have to do it.

Arjen

Quick question, how would be best to farm enough souls to just buy a load of blooming purple moss clumps and a few arrows? I am not looking forward to this but I guess I have to do it.

The tree/ bushes enemies in Darkroot have a great drop rate for mosses.

The tree/ bushes enemies in Darkroot have a great drop rate for mosses.

I don't know if I can trust Robben after his diving on Tuesday...

Is there a good place in Darkroot to farm both souls and clumps? I guess where the moth boss is right?

Burgess, buy plenty of poison arrows and make sure you have a good bow before you get to Anor Londo. This is a must!

Can I buy poison arrows from the lady undead merchant?

Also what is a good bow? I currently just have a long bow and a couple of crossbows. My dex is only at 14 I have been focussing on vitality and strength if I remember correctly.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Can I buy poison arrows from the lady undead merchant?

Yup.

Also what is a good bow? I currently just have a long bow and a couple of crossbows. My dex is only at 14 I have been focussing on vitality and strength if I remember correctly.

There is a nifty bow in Darkroot Garden (near the hidden bonfire and behind the Crest) called the Black Bow of Pharis. You'd need to level up Dex a bit, but until you can get the Composite Bow from New Londo, that'll be your best bet.

Top Bottom