• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

NinjaBoiX

Burgess, the Pharis Bow is one of the best bows in the game, it has the longest range anyway. If you can get the Hawk Ring, even better (it increases the range of ranged weapons). You can get the Pharis Bow by killing one of the guys in Darkroot Garden (the big stone door next to the hidden bonfire). Not sure where you get the Hawk Ring.

And yes, the merchant in Undead Burg sells poison arrows.

(There may be some inaccuracies here, some of the more clued up guys will keep you right!)

Arjen

I don't know if I can trust Robben after his diving on Tuesday...

Is there a good place in Darkroot to farm both souls and clumps? I guess where the moth boss is right?

Lol, nice one.
Behind the locked door which opens with the crest of artorias is a great place to farm souls.

NinjaBoiX

Anor Londo, behind the Giant Blacksmith.

The Pharis Bow is really good. At the expense of it's range though, the Composite Bow notches much faster.
Sweet. Isn't the composite bow stronger as well? Strongest bow in the game so I hear.

I'm going to grab that Hawk Ring tonight and then crack on with the DLC. I don't want this game to end guys...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet. Isn't the composite bow stronger as well? Strongest bow in the game so I hear.

I'm going to grab that Hawk Ring tonight and then crack on with the DLC. I don't want this game to end guys...

I think so, at least in terms of normal bows. I think it scales with STR, though.

EDIT: My bad, it's got quality scaling (C STR, C DEX).

Lol, nice one.
Behind the locked door which opens with the crest of artorias is a great place to farm souls.

Alright I guess, thats my port of call after my work is done today.

Burgess, the Pharis Bow is one of the best bows in the game, it has the longest range anyway. If you can get the Hawk Ring, even better (it increases the range of ranged weapons). You can get the Pharis Bow by killing one of the guys in Darkroot Garden (the big stone door next to the hidden bonfire). Not sure where you get the Hawk Ring.

And yes, the merchant in Undead Burg sells poison arrows.

(There may be some inaccuracies here, some of the more clued up guys will keep you right!)

Yup.

There is a nifty bow in Darkroot Garden (near the hidden bonfire and behind the Crest) called the Black Bow of Pharis. You'd need to level up Dex a bit, but until you can get the Composite Bow from New Londo, that'll be your best bet.

Okay then I guess ill be in Darkroot garden today farming for souls, clumps and looking for bows, I am not looking forward to venturing back to Blighttown after... How soon after the shitty branches is the first bonfire?

kionedrik

I don't know if I can trust Robben after his diving on Tuesday...

Is there a good place in Darkroot to farm both souls and clumps? I guess where the moth boss is right?

Can I buy poison arrows from the lady undead merchant?

Also what is a good bow? I currently just have a long bow and a couple of crossbows. My dex is only at 14 I have been focussing on vitality and strength if I remember correctly.

If I remember correctly there's 7 tree-like enemys between the parish bonfire and the arena-like area in Darkroot, just before the Moonlight Butterfly tower. If you have the patience you can farm all 3 kinds of mosses there, although the blooming purple one is harder to drop than the others. If you don't feel like it, the female undead merchants sells those.

What's your SL? If you are still below 30, i think the best way to farm souls is to co-op against the bell gargoiles (10k per fight iirc).

Also, are you descending to blightown via firelink? Go through the depths, it's much easier and there's a bonfire between the depths and the boss bonfire down bellow.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay then I guess ill be in Darkroot garden today farming for souls, clumps and looking for bows, I am not looking forward to venturing back to Blighttown after... How soon after the shitty branches is the first bonfire?

There's one on the aqueduct about halfway in and one down by sewer outflow in the swamp. It's quite an arduous trek first time. You could skip it if you have the Master Key but you'd be missing out on some cool stuff.

Mistel

Banned
I can't be only one that uses a great bow? Now that's a good bow. So you have to stand still but the +5 bow makes short work of everyone...

Skip to the second one its great for maintaining sanity.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I can't be only one that uses a great bow? Now that's a good bow. So you have to stand still but the +5 bow makes short work of everyone...

I've got Gough's Greatbow handy for my STR build, but I still need to fully upgrade it. It's useful in certain circumstances, but I'll always take speed over strength.

If I remember correctly there's 7 tree-like enemys between the parish bonfire and the arena-like area in Darkroot, just before the Moonlight Butterfly tower. If you have the patience you can farm all 3 kinds of mosses there, although the blooming purple one is harder to drop than the others. If you don't feel like it, the female undead merchants sells those.

What's your SL? If you are still below 30, i think the best way to farm souls is to co-op against the bell gargoiles (10k per fight iirc).

Also, are you descending to blightown via firelink? Go through the depths, it's much easier and there's a bonfire between the depths and the boss bonfire down bellow.

Sorry does SL mean Soul Level? If so I am level 50 at the moment.

I was figuring I should go through the depths this time because I can get other stuff, its just being honest the depths was a horrible place for me brings back bad memories, its just so scary :'(.

There's one on the aqueduct about halfway in and one down by sewer outflow in the swamp. It's quite an arduous trek first time. You could skip it if you have the Master Key but you'd be missing out on some cool stuff.

Ah okay then, I want to try and at least make a bonfire there today, I am just not looking forward to dealing with these blow dart people. Im thinking of swapping out my zweihander as well for blighttown I dont think its too well suited to the enemies down there.

NinjaBoiX

Edit: burgess, the blow dart guys don't respawn if that helps your resolve!
Cheers Meat, I guess I need to find that composite bow now as well!

You have to stand still with all the bows. Not sure about crossbows though.

I think you can move with the bow drawn in DS2, or so I heard.
I've got Gough's Greatbow handy for my STR build, but I still need to fully upgrade it. It's useful in certain circumstances, but I'll always take speed over strength.
My fucking man.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ah okay then, I want to try and at least make a bonfire there today, I am just not looking forward to dealing with these blow dart people. Im thinking of swapping out my zweihander as well for blighttown I dont think its too well suited to the enemies down there.

In the Depths there is a shield which boosts Poison Resistance. You can also get a ring from the freaky Priest of Velka back at the first tower which'll boost it too.

My fucking man.

oUrLn0E.gif

Edit: burgess, the blow dart guys don't respawn if that helps your resolve!

Really? That makes me feel so much better you dont even know.

In the Depths there is a shield which boosts Poison Resistance. You can also get a ring from the freaky Priest of Velka back at the first tower which'll boost it too.

Do you mean the spider shield? If so I have that, I am using that and some black leather armour I think to help my poison resistance is at 113 I think is that any good?

Mistel

Banned
You have to stand still with all the bows. Not sure about crossbows though.

I think you can move with the bow drawn in DS2, or so I heard.
Really? I've only used a greatbow, imagine being able to move with one of those drawn...

You can get that bow? Ooh that's good how is the scaling I might swap it for my +5 dragon slayer great bow. I still like the big heavy weapons.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You can get that bow? Ooh that's good how is the scaling I might swap it for my +5 dragon slayer great bow. I still like the big heavy weapons.

Oh, you XD

B/C, I believe. Does some nifty damage with Gough's Great Arrows. You can get it by killing him or ze Dragon.

Do you mean the spider shield? If so I have that, I am using that and some black leather armour I think to help my poison resistance is at 113 I think is that any good?

Should be enough. If not, get the ring.

Mistel

Banned
That should be fine I think there's gear with higher resistance later in game. If poison is really an issue, inflict it on yourself to prevent it from being caused by blow darts.

B/C, I believe. Does some nifty damage with Gough's Great Arrows. You can get it by killing him or ze Dragon.
That's better than double C so I'll kill the dragon then get it.

That should be fine I think there's gear with higher resistance later in game. If poison is really an issue, inflict it on yourself to prevent it from being caused by blow darts.

That's better than double C so I'll kill the dragon then get it.

Oh, you XD

Should be enough. If not, get the ring.

Okay then I am feeling better now about this task. Just one more question, I got the firekeepers soul is worth using it on the estus flask for +3 or is there a better use for it?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay then I am feeling better now about this task. Just one more question, I got the firekeepers soul is worth using it on the estus flask for +3 or is there a better use for it?

Where did you find it? If it was "loose" (ie you didn't kill a firekeeper for it) then I'd say yes, boost the shit out your Estus.

NinjaBoiX

I always thought that's all you could do with it. Can you consume it for souls or something?

I just got Estus +3 before I killed Four Kings last night. My health bar is so small it pretty much replenishes the whole thing. My stamina bar is bigger!

Mistel

Banned
Can be consumed for 5x Humanity, I believe.
Yep they can used for 5 humanity.

Make sure you cut off it's tail. The Obsidian Greatsword is pretty sweet. If the lil un eats early, I can Jolly Co-op with you, if you like?
We can try for the great sword as we co-op it? I'm going to max out the armor I'm wearing with twinkling titanite for my brass set arms and legs.

I need to get a man serpent great word I think it can get A on strength scaling.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
We can try for the great sword as we co-op it? I'm going to max out the armor I'm wearing with twinkling titanite for my brass set arms and legs.

Sure, it's not easy to get though. Heck, the whole fight isn't easy.

I need to get a man serpent great word I think it can get A on strength scaling.

I have a +15 on my STR build incase I need a buffable weapon (can't buff my array of wonderful BK weapons). They've a really good moveset and are pretty mint damage wise, but have an irritatingly short range. They're also a massive bitch to farm.

Use it for estus... ALWAYS!!!

Unless
it's the soul of the fire keeper from Firelink Shrine.

kionedrik

Does that mean
Firelink was out of commission for that whole playthrough?!

You bet!
Fortunatly you can warp to it and the parish fire is just up the elevator if I wanted to warp out. Still a pain though, especially during the New Londo exploration.

It's the price to pay for blind playthroughs.

Mistel

Banned
Sure, it's not easy to get though. Heck, the whole fight isn't easy.
How hard can it be? I did seath yesterday I've just got 4 kings left.

I have a +15 on my STR build incase I need a buffable weapon (can't buff my array of wonderful BK weapons). They've a really good moveset and are pretty mint damage wise, but have an irritatingly short range. They're also a massive bitch to farm.

NinjaBoiX

Him? It's normally a chick. Need more input. Input, Stephanie!
I dunno, some dude with black hair and silver armour (I don't know the names), I just skipped the text thinking he would reinforce my Estus. I walked down to New Londo and there he was (must have warped or something, shrugs) all aggro and shit. I had to put that chump down.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How hard can it be? I did seath yesterday I've just got 4 kings left.

Didn't you say that about The Four Kings on NG+? XD

Getting the tail is difficult because there are only two moves out of many that present you with the opportunity to lop it off. It's also got a ton of health on it's own.

The fight itself is apparently one of the tougher one's in the game. I'd have to agree, Kal has loads of high damage AoA moves, quite a bit of health, and is pretty quick for a big guy/gal/whatever.

I dunno, some dude with black hair and silver armour (I don't know the names), I just skipped the text thinking he would reinforce my Estus. I walked down to New Londo and there he was (must have warped or something, shrugs) all aggro and shit. I had to put that chump down.

You did the right thing. That's not the Firekeeper.

kionedrik

That's not the firelink keeper, that's the crestfallen warrior.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Still using full stone armor that far in the game? Isn't Black Iron/Giant better if you're just going heavy/tank build? I've used stone early game a few times but then later switch to black iron/giants.

Edit: yea you can't even upgrade it, forgot about that.

It's not full stone, actually I had on a mix of guardian helm, stone chest and gloves, and silver knight legs. I wanted the most tanky build that had high magic res and was still under 50%. I tried Manus many times with a >25% setup and his attacks just always eventually wore me down, I couldn't outlast him. I found this setup allowed me to last much longer, thereby giving me a chance against him. I'll bet I fought Manus over a dozen times before I finally beat him. I found it a hard battle.

Afterward I went back to the Painted World and changed my mind about peacefully leaving the last time.
This time I attacked her, and was surprised to find a fairly easy battle honestly. One shot her, I think I only needed one estus swig too. Cool fight though with the invisibility and shit, didn't expect that.

But back to you Justin, I don't think I even have a black iron or giants armor set. I think the blacksmith in Anor Londo sells an armor that I never bought yet, is that it? I should maybe go get that before I finish my first run through.

kionedrik

Fuuuuuuuuuck that. XD

Not at all. The funny thing is it was far from the worst thing I've done on that playthrough.

I didn't know you could go past +5 on weapons till after the TotG, and I only found out because something broke and I had to go back to Andre for repairs (I also never bought the boxes). Imagine doing the whole game till that point with a +5 Uchigatana.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
His purpose is to show the player what happens when an undead goes hollow.

He tells you stuff too: Where the Bells are, what's the deal with people at the Shrine etc.

Not at all. The funny thing is it was far from the worst thing I've done on that playthrough.

I didn't know you could go past +5 on weapons till after the TotG, and I only found out because something broke and I had to go back to Andre for repairs (I also never bought the boxes). Imagine doing the whole game till that point with a +5 Uchigatana.

13613446471224667340.GIF

Mengy

Burgess, buy plenty of poison arrows and make sure you have a good bow before you get to Anor Londo. This is a must!

I didn't use a single arrow in all of Anor Londo, so I'm curious, why is it a must?

NinjaBoiX

Ah right, that answers it!

Mengy, poison arrows aren't really a must, but you can poison the archers if they are giving you trouble.

Edit: what meat said! I have no cojones, I cheesed it!

Mistel

Banned
Oh right. So what is his purpose? He only gave me 1000 souls, no drop. Was disappoint.
He tells the you plot, I think.

Didn't you say that about The Four Kings on NG+? XD

Getting the tail is difficult because there are only two moves out of many that present you with the opportunity to lop it off. It's also got a ton of health on it's own.

The fight itself is apparently one of the tougher one's in the game. I'd have to agree, Kal has loads of high damage AoA moves, quite a bit of health, and is pretty quick for a big guy/gal/whatever.
Well if you go for the tail I'll keep it occupied with the great bow. That seems like a good idea?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well if you go for the tail I'll keep it occupied with the great bow. That seems like a good idea?

Awww do I have to do all the work? XD

Sure, we'll give it a shot (pun intended).

I'll tell you this, though: Unless you haven't already, you'll want to go in there first on your own. Stay away from the middle and keep towards the back (but don't hug the back wall). Be prepared to run back to Gough.

That's all I'll say ;)

Mengy

Ah right, that answers it!

Mengy, poison arrows aren't really a must, but you can poison the archers if they are giving you trouble.

Edit: what meat said! I have no cojones, I cheesed it!

Huh, you know I never even thought to shoot them with arrows? Honestly I haven't used bows much at all except for pulling monsters out of rooms. I just charged up the slope to the knight on the right, blocked his attacks, and kicked that bastard right off the edge. Then I turned around, charged the one of the right and fought him down like man because he wouldn't fall for that kicking shit.

Of course, it took me like a half dozen tries to pull that off without dying myself, but we won't talk about that....

Top Bottom