• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, I don't care about any of that. I just spam "x" whenever someone is talking!

This probably means I'm a bad person.
I murdered him once I arrived at firelink the first time.

Awww do I have to do all the work? XD

Sure, we'll give it a shot (pun intended).

I'll tell you this, though: Unless you haven't already, you'll want to go in there first on your own. Stay away from the middle and keep towards the back (but don't hug the back wall). Be prepared to run back to Gough.

That's all I'll say ;)
It's not flying anymore the wings have been dealt with. Mr Gough is accurate for a blind guy. I'm going to have a little recon in my black iron paladin mixed armor first so I've got an idea of what's going on.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, you know I never even thought to shoot them with arrows? Honestly I haven't used bows much at all except for pulling monsters out of rooms. I just charged up the slope to the knight on the right, blocked his attacks, and kicked that bastard right off the edge. Then I turned around, charged the one of the right and fought him down like man because he wouldn't fall for that kicking shit.

Of course, it took me like a half dozen tries to pull that off without dying myself, but we won't talk about that....

chuck-norris-thumbs-up-dodgeball-gif.gif

It's not flying anymore the wings have been dealt with. Mr Gough is accurate for a blind guy. I'm going to have a little recon in my black iron paladin mixed armor first so I've got an idea of what's going on.

Ah, good work!

rugioh

Banned
From what I'm understanding in some of the past posts, I should upgrade my weapon past +5/+6 before going to Anor Londo? I'll just whoop on some slugs and get my uchigatana/halberd/longsword up to snuff.

From what I'm understanding in some of the past posts, I should upgrade my weapon past +5/+6 before going to Anor Londo? I'll just whoop on some slugs and get my uchigatana/halberd/longsword up to snuff.
It's always best to upgrade as far as you can as soon as you can yeah.

Do you know about increasing item discovery? - 10 active humanity (top left counter) max's out your item discovery until you find
the gold serpent ring
- both these together should net you at least half a dozen drops from a run around the Blighttown slugs.

Nordicus

Definitely won't hurt. Get your main weapons to minimum of +6 (or equivalent) so that you won't at least have to run back to Andre or other beginning blacksmiths to modify your weapons if if at end of Anor Londo you feel your damage is insufficient

Speaking of Anor Londo, just finished it on my first PC character. Does the DSCfix affect the amount of invasions or something, as well as connectivity to people on your friend list? Because I didn't get invaded once... kinda disappointed, even if i suck at PvP and would have likely died horribly

Chitown B

Still using full stone armor that far in the game? Isn't Black Iron/Giant better if you're just going heavy/tank build? I've used stone early game a few times but then later switch to black iron/giants.

Edit: yea you can't even upgrade it, forgot about that.

yeah I ran full stone for awhile until I got to Anor Londo and then grinded up the Giant's to +5. It's the best.

JustinBB7

It's not full stone, actually I had on a mix of guardian helm, stone chest and gloves, and silver knight legs. I wanted the most tanky build that had high magic res and was still under 50%. I tried Manus many times with a >25% setup and his attacks just always eventually wore me down, I couldn't outlast him. I found this setup allowed me to last much longer, thereby giving me a chance against him. I'll bet I fought Manus over a dozen times before I finally beat him. I found it a hard battle.

Afterward I went back to the Painted World and changed my mind about peacefully leaving the last time.
This time I attacked her, and was surprised to find a fairly easy battle honestly. One shot her, I think I only needed one estus swig too. Cool fight though with the invisibility and shit, didn't expect that.

But back to you Justin, I don't think I even have a black iron or giants armor set. I think the blacksmith in Anor Londo sells an armor that I never bought yet, is that it? I should maybe go get that before I finish my first run through.

You should have Black Iron, it's the loot next to the painted world, and since you were just there again it would be pretttyyy impossible to miss haha.

Giant armor is sold by the blacksmith yea. Both of those are pretty much the best for full tank. Giant is slightly better. Only difference is some elemental stuff.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
yeah I ran full stone for awhile until I got to Anor Londo and then grinded up the Giant's to +5. It's the best.

I usually run around in lighter armor so that I can fast roll around, but my goal is to level up END enough to be able to fast roll while wearing heavy ass armor. Sounds like I need to buy the armor from the Anor blacksmith and level it up. Stone, Havel's, and Guardian are the best heavy armors I have currently.

Chitown B

I dunno, some dude with black hair and silver armour (I don't know the names), I just skipped the text thinking he would reinforce my Estus. I walked down to New Londo and there he was (must have warped or something, shrugs) all aggro and shit. I had to put that chump down.

lol. same thing happened to me. that's the knight from the beginning. He doesn't like you after you talk to Frampt.

rugioh

Banned
It's always best to upgrade as far as you can as soon as you can yeah.

Do you know about increasing item discovery? - 10 active humanity (top left counter) max's out your item discovery until you find
the gold serpent ring
- both these together should net you at least half a dozen drops from a run around the Blighttown slugs.

What does that drop off of? I'm always in hollow form because even as a covenant of the white I was getting invaded like crazy in the depths.

Chitown B

I usually run around in lighter armor so that I can fast roll around, but my goal is to level up END enough to be able to fast roll while wearing heavy ass armor. Sounds like I need to buy the armor from the Anor blacksmith and level it up. Stone, Havel's, and Guardian are the best heavy armors I have currently.

good luck fast rolling in Giant's. Even with Havel's Ring, you'll still have to have 135+ END to do that. I'm at like 70 I think, and I mid roll just barely with full giant's and Claymore.

You should have Black Iron, it's the loot next to the painted world, and since you were just there again it would be pretttyyy impossible to miss haha.

Giant armor is sold by the blacksmith yea. Both of those are pretty much the best for full tank. Giant is slightly better. Only difference is some elemental stuff.

Giant's is also lighter.

kionedrik

Sitting out in the sun in germany irs lovely here, dont know if i can go to dark souls after this...

You have to find your sun...

It is believed that weapon upgrades > shield upgrades > armour upgrades > soul levels. So, if possible, upgrade your stuff.

What does that drop off of? I'm always in hollow form because even as a covenant of the white I was getting invaded like crazy in the depths.
The drop off for item discovery? It's 10 humanity.

You don't need to be in human form to have active humanity, it can just sit in your counter - the more you have the better as it increases various defense and resistance stats as well as item discovery.

The slimes right outside the bonfire room in the Depths also drop large and green titanite just like the slugs in Blighttown but with lower drop rate (still pretty quick to get the amount you'd need to get up to +10). Depths is also perfect for farming humanity from the rats. I always do a run of the slimes/rats whilst waiting to be summoned there.

JustinBB7

good luck fast rolling in Giant's. Even with Havel's Ring, you'll still have to have 135+ END to do that. I'm at like 70 I think, and I mid roll just barely with full giant's and Claymore.

Giant's is also lighter.

Lately I've been wearing the pants and helmet from either black iron or giants set. And with the right rings and levels I'm still below 25% It's pretty fun. Been doing this on multiple chars now.

I just accidentally attacked Siegmeyer in Anor Londo. Is there anything I can do to stop him being hostile, or is he lost this playthrough?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I play games slowly, I guess.

Having beaten Seath the Scaleless, I then went into New Londo Ruins. Drained the water and opened the door into the Valley of Drakes. Not sure if I should go on or go back up the elevator and see if there's more New Londo I can get to now that I drained the water.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Repost:

My copy of DS2 has been sitting in the collection depot since yesterday. Fucking thing closes at 3pm all week and I don't finish work till 5pm.

angry-duck-o.gif

#fuckmyfirstworldproblems

Nordicus

Siegmeyer is now my best buddy. He gave me the Emit Force miracle for doing all those favors back in Firelink Shrine, and it's a pretty decent addition to my list of miracles. Feels good too when you send an enemy flying with it while also dealing damage.

AlexBasch

Question, you need to beat Taurus Demon in order to get the White Soapstone? I started NG yesterday and tracked back to Solaire with the Master Key, but he keeps going and going about being grossly incandescent. I wanted to do some co-op this time. :p

kionedrik

*opens thread*
*scrolls down*
*drools*
*closes thread*
*guys in the office immediately say - Open it again!*

yep... that's Scarlett.

So yesterday I made it to Tomb of the Giants where I (inevitably) died.

However when I resapwned at Firelink I was immediately set upon by two guys, one of which was going on about "threats to m'lady".

Then a girl attacked me and I killed her in one hit.

The fuck just happened?

^ Did you kill Petrus? They are affiliated with him. Although that sounds like more of a bug since those guys should be down in TotG. They appear at Firelink after killing Capra, and then in TotG after killing Pinwheel.

Question, you need to beat Taurus Demon in order to get the White Soapstone? I started NG yesterday and tracked back to Solaire with the Master Key, but he keeps going and going about being grossly incandescent. I wanted to do some co-op this time. :p
Did you already pick it up? You definately don't need to beat Taurus Demon although sometimes if you go the back way Solaire won't appear without a reload. Reload any way.

A lot of people don't kill Taurus so as to leave the Burg open for PvP.

I finally got to the first bonfire in Blighttown, I am so happy though I am going to leave it there for tonight. I was brave and just sprinted over the branches (heart was in my mouth all the way through it...).

Mistel

Banned
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN
ScarJo is a goddess
*opens thread*
*scrolls down*
*drools*
*closes thread*
*guys in the office immediately say - Open it again!*
yep... that's Scarlett.
You boys and girls(just me?) might like this then:
tumblr_inline_mkpe0ym60p1qz4rgp.gif

Cintia Dicker a model... Who has done lot of lingerie stuff and topless shoots. Well that tells you I'm into girls if you didn't already know.

Er Praise the sun?

AlexBasch

Did you already pick it up? You definately don't need to beat Taurus Demon although sometimes if you go the back way Solaire won't appear without a reload. Reload any way.

A lot of people don't kill Taurus so as to leave the Burg open for PvP.
Will try this once I get home but yeah, I was weirded out to get invaded in the Burg. :p Had a couple of matches that I lost, because some asshole chugged down a well timed estus before I delivered the last strike. Bleh.

Thanks.
Er Praise the sun?
Praise the sun at full force, fucking indeed.

Er, do you even praise son etc

Continuing from my last post...

I headed down into the depths of the Tomb of the Giants. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but that guy who kicked me down frightened me a bit. I thought I was going to immediately be rushed by a terrible swarm of baddies, but it was pretty easy going. Decided to let him be, and see if it plays out later.

Made my way down to the boss, and I managed to take him out on my first try. I think there's a chance I'm over powered at this point... Or I was very lucky/consistent with healing.

Afterwards, I figured I should do the DLC, since I don't know how much longer it will be available in the game. The Oolacile world was kind of interesting, seeing the Darkroot in its old ways. I struggled made my way to Artorias, and I think this is the first time in the game I have truly had difficulty with defeating an enemy this long. I believe it took me around 12 tries before I was finally able to best him. How empowering it felt when I did, though! My hands are still shaking a little, despite having done it around ten minutes or more ago.

Kindled up that bonfire and got invaded. I was lucky enough to beat my second real human invasion! Felt good, especially after Artorias beating me down so much. His fighting style really reminded me of Sif. : (

Going to keep pushing onwards into the DLC next time.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
OKAY, Kalameet is impossible. Holy crap, I thought Manus was the hardest boss in the game, but I now think Kalameet is. He has like a move for every way I've tried to attack him. Stay close, he stomps me. Stay behind him, tail swipe. Keep some distance, all manners of flame attacks. After a dozen tries I've barely got a dent in him before dying. And this is after the awesome Gough helped me out with his bow.

I'm at a loss. I may just forego this boss and go put the last soul into the lordvessel to see what happens next.

Or maybe I'll try this black dragon a few more times....sigh.

Continuing from my last post...

I headed down into the depths of the Tomb of the Giants. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but that guy who kicked me down frightened me a bit. I thought I was going to immediately be rushed by a terrible swarm of baddies, but it was pretty easy going. Decided to let him be, and see if it plays out later.

Made my way down to the boss, and I managed to take him out on my first try. I think there's a chance I'm over powered at this point... Or I was very lucky/consistent with healing.

Afterwards, I figured I should do the DLC, since I don't know how much longer it will be available in the game. The Oolacile world was kind of interesting, seeing the Darkroot in its old ways. I struggled made my way to Artorias, and I think this is the first time in the game I have truly had difficulty with defeating an enemy this long. I believe it took me around 12 tries before I was finally able to best him. How empowering it felt when I did, though! My hands are still shaking a little, despite having done it around ten minutes or more ago.

Kindled up that bonfire and got invaded. I was lucky enough to beat my second real human invasion! Felt good, especially after Artorias beating me down so much. His fighting style really reminded me of Sif. : (

Going to keep pushing onwards into the DLC next time.

I'm still stuck in Tomb of the Giants...beast skeleton absolutely destroys me.

EvaristeG

Banned
Got back into the game... I actually never beat Manus nor Kalameet. I found them to be the hardest boss in the game, especially Kalameet.

Top Bottom