• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Levyne

Banned
I could never beat manus legitimately. To be fair, i had learned about a cheap way to beating him and then did >_>

I LOVEED the Kalameet fight though, going from barely hurting him and getting rolled over to him barely hurting me and me winning through a long battle of attrition.

One trick for him that I learned on my own that I never really saw mentioned in another place is t
he move where he flies towards you (or is it a jump? I forget). if you strafe left with a shield up, he will miss completely, but if you strafe right he will hit you so you don't really get a window afterwards because you get knocked back. This also gets you a look at his tail if you want that.

(tagged just in case, just a strategy for a single move)

Four Kings on New Game Plus aren't as tough as they're made out to be. As long as you have Green Blossoms and fast roll.

I had a harder time with Nito because I always kill the skeletons first, and Divine dexterity weapons are not impressive.

Looks like my save has been corrupted... yeah I'm done lol, no way I'm starting over.

Gonna just move to Dark Souls 2 now.

In what part of the game you were? because DS II have kinda lore tied to DS1

Dumb question, once you beat a boss of an area in your file, can you still help others on that boss as a phantom? I apologize is the question is dumb, I played nearly entirely offline.

Yes, you can.

There is even a covenant for coop.

Levyne

Banned
Man, I've been reading through this thread after never having visited it. I sometimes feel like I played the game "wrong" reading sone of these. I never rolled or parried, the silver knight shield +5 was my best friends, and I put a ton of points into endurance so that I could just block most everything. Hardly ever took my weapon 2 handed unless I was desperate to kill fast such as Niro or 4k, usually accompanied by the Pyromancy armor spell.

Dumb question, once you beat a boss of an area in your file, can you still help others on that boss as a phantom? I apologize is the question is dumb, I played nearly entirely offline.

Levyne

Banned
Can all armor be upgraded?

How did I never run into it? I only ever upgraded weapons ( and I guess shields, but the game calls those weapons )

I just finished up achievements today and I am just learning you can upgrade armor...

eot

Banned

How did I never run into it? I only ever upgraded weapons ( and I guess shields, but the game calls those weapons )

I just finished up achievements today and I am just learning you can upgrade armor...

It doesn't make much of a difference if you upgrade it, but it's hard to miss. The 'reinforce armor' option is right below the one for weapons, unless you did all your upgrading at a bonfire and never bought the armor smithbox.

That happens to me every time, I've never managed to walk on that thing.

NinjaBoiX

No, I'm using the Gold-Hemmed Black Set at the minute and it can't be upgraded. It's most excellent though and looks boss:

leSf75F.jpg

kionedrik

Beating the area boss makes you invulnerable to red phantom invasions, but you can still be invaded by blues iirc. You can always be summoned for co-op (as a white or gold phantom), even after beating the boss.

Beating the area boss makes you invulnerable to red phantom invasions, but you can still be invaded by blues iirc. You can always be summoned for co-op (as a white or gold phantom), even after beating the boss.
Killing the area boss ends all invasions blue and red. You might be thinking about Anor Londo since it has more than one boss.

@Levyne - You can also place your summon sign for co-op even when hollow.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my...

... My wife, even though she is burdened with a screaming child and an array of social responsibilities that she has to meet today, went out of her way and picked up my copy of DS2! Huzzah!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
As long as you don't ignore this thread fella, we need you! Also, thumbs up for Mrs Meat, what a gal.

Ey yo, never forget your roots, homes. Hopefully all the knowledge of the new mechanics won't knock out the old info...

Yeah, she is... She puts up with me!

Managed to murder the three Gwyns last night (Gwyndolin is a proper little bitch sometimes), plus every single NPC left standing. It was a blood bath, meng. So, I've left my last (final?) build at Firelink Shrine in NG+.

I hope you won't ignore me and some jolly co-op? I'm getting my copy soon I just need someone else to pick it up as I look 15. Maybe we can co-op that too?

But of course. It's Jolly Co-op for life, Miss Trooper!

Mistel

Banned
Managed to murder the three Gwyns last night (Gwyndolin is a proper little bitch sometimes), plus every single NPC left standing. It was a blood bath, meng. So, I've left my last (final?) build at Firelink Shrine in NG+.

But of course. It's Jolly Co-op for life, Miss Trooper!
Yay I can use this game gift card finally instead of it sitting there. Just got the kings, mushroom land, dlc dragon and then gywn then I'm done.

Gwendolyn just stood there and took it as I unloaded dragon slayer arrows into them.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yay I can use this game gift card finally instead of it sitting there. Just got the kings, mushroom land, dlc dragon and then gywn then I'm done.

Gwendolyn just stood there and took it as I unloaded dragon slayer arrows into them.

Both my boys are on NG+ but I reckon I can help out with The Four Kings if you need it. They can be pretty easy on NG though. I'd have to do some serious running about to help with Gwyn, unfortunately. I shouldn't have been so eager to finish off... oo-er!

Mistel

Banned
Both my boys are on NG+ but I reckon I can help out with The Four Kings if you need it. They can be pretty easy on NG though. I'd have to do some serious running about to help with Gwyn, unfortunately. I shouldn't have been so eager to finish off... oo-er!
That's what Solaire is for if I need help with gywn... The kings can't be that hard really. I know what I'm doing.
I've got no idea really but I'll try...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That's what Solaire is for if I need help with gywn... The kings can't be that hard really. I know what I'm doing.
I've got no idea really but I'll try...

Yeah, Solaire helped me out last night. He's a good guy.

Just put on your best armour, a high magic resistance shield (Crest Shield), dodge purple things and hammer the living shit out of gray stuff with both hands.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, Solaire helped me out last night. He's a good guy.

Just put on your best armour, a high magic resistance shield (Crest Shield), dodge purple things and hammer the living shit out of gray stuff with both hands.
If you're two handing a claymore + 15 in full havels I should be fine, I can sprint to the fog door easily... Then it's just killing it or them.

Chitown B

as long as I ascend my weapons to +6 or +11, etc, I don't need any embers on playthrough 2, right? I can just upgrade them per usual.

beat Nito and Gwendolin last night, and been farming Kiln for black knight stuff and chunks. Don't want to beat it yet because there are a couple things I still want to get I think. At least, I want to upgrade all I can first.

rugioh

Banned
I'm SL 40 going into Anor Londo next I think, is the spider shield worth upgrading or should I wait till I come across something better? I'm going for a quality build.I've thought about backtracking to try and farm up a Balder Shield but I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile.

Chitown B

I'm SL 40 going into Anor Londo next I think, is the spider shield worth upgrading or should I wait till I come across something better? I'm going for a quality build.I've thought about backtracking to try and farm up a Balder Shield but I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile.

only thing you'll ever need spider shield for is BlightTown, and you're already past that. Get a Tower Kite / Grass Crest and upgrade those. Or Silver knight if you can get one in Anor Londo.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
only thing you'll ever need spider shield for is BlightTown, and you're already past that. Get a Tower Kite / Grass Crest and upgrade those. Or Silver knight if you can get one in Anor Londo.

Blood Shield is better all round, I think. It's good to have a few different shields for different situations, though.

kionedrik

You can buy a balder shield from the vendor in Sens.

Chitown B

Blood Shield is better all round, I think. It's good to have a few different shields for different situations, though.

you don't have to worry about bleed or poison if you're not getting hit.... curse, yes. But no stamina increase like GC, and stability isn't as good as TK in comparison.

However Blood Shield does seem pretty good all around. Good idea. I just picked one up actually, but haven't upgraded it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
you don't have to worry about bleed or poison if you're not getting hit.... curse, yes. But no stamina increase like GC, and stability isn't as good as TK in comparison.

However Blood Shield does seem pretty good all around. Good idea. I just picked one up actually, but haven't upgraded it.

Oh sorry, I just meant in comparison to the Spider Shield; it may not be better at poison resistance specifically, but it covers a broader array of statuses. Believe me, Grass Crest is my constant companion. :)

Never used TK actually. I used to use the Balder Shield a lot. It looks the nuts and has a really good stability/weight/defense ratio.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

My favorite is the black knight shield, I've used it for most of the game. Am I using a substandard shield? I've upgraded it to +5 which is as far as it will go. I'll switch to a different one for short periods if I need a resist or something, but I always go back to my trusted black knight shield....

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite is the black knight shield, I've used it for most of the game. Am I using a substandard shield? I've upgraded it to +5 which is as far as it will go. I'll switch to a different one for short periods if I need a resist or something, but I always go back to my trusted black knight shield....

Not at all. It's got some of the best fire resistance (95%, iirc), nifty stability and good weight. I would carry the Crest Shield (high magic resistance one from Oscar) with you too though, BK shield has super low magic DEF.

Honestly, the best advice is to make sure you have an array of shields (and weapons... and armour) on hand for different situations.

NinjaBoiX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MXAtGK8Yh4&feature=youtu.be

It was so horrible but I got there in the end thanks to whoever told me the running thing.
Probably a bit late now, but does the Rusted Iron Ring not help with this kind of thing? I've never tried it, and I know it's primarily for movement in deep water, but the description says something like:

"Helps to maintain your footing on uneven ground."

It just occurred to me that it might help.

as long as I ascend my weapons to +6 or +11, etc, I don't need any embers on playthrough 2, right? I can just upgrade them per usual.

beat Nito and Gwendolin last night, and been farming Kiln for black knight stuff and chunks. Don't want to beat it yet because there are a couple things I still want to get I think. At least, I want to upgrade all I can first.
If you don't intend to do any more weapon ascension in NG+, then yeah you can uprade a +11 yourself up to +15 without getting the VL Ember on NG+.

Mistel

Banned
How do I go down on Sens? I mean is there a shaft or something for me to slide down or do I need to get something up before I go down?

I want to kill those demons with my man serpent great sword.

Top Bottom