• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

NinjaBoiX

nah I don't think it helps for bad coding. lol
Ssh, don't enrage the fanboys!
How do I go down on Sens? I mean is there a shaft or something for me to slide down or do I need to get something up before I go down?

I want to kill those demons with my man serpent great sword.
icg99jzqw9xqgook2w.gif

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How do I go down on Sens? I mean is there a shaft or something for me to slide down or do I need to get something up before I go down?

I want to kill those demons with my man serpent great sword.

49157-george-takei-oh-my-gif-e64l.gif

Just drop down there with your Serpent Sword out in both hands. There's a demon right below you begging to get stuck in the behind. Once you've gone down just keep beating it. There'll be a loud yelp and a bright flash of light and it'll be all over. Make sure you've got your rusty ring on your finger, it's pretty wet and sticky down there.

Nordicus

Just drop down there with your Serpent Sword out in both hands. There's a demon right below you begging to get stuck in the behind. Once you've gone down just keep beating it. There'll be a loud yelp and a bright flash of light and it'll be all over. Make sure you've got your rusty ring on your finger, it's pretty wet and sticky down there.
dhMeAzK.gif

rugioh

Banned
You guys sure know how to keep this thread fun, lively and somewhat lewd haha. Who needs DS2 anyways :p

I'm working my way through Sen's now, hopefully I can make some progress this weekend!

Mistel

Banned
Now that's sounds fun, dirty wording makes everything better. And dragon things tail is hard, hurting him isn't but the tail is... Would you like to do some jolly co-operation?

Dark Souls OT 5: Lewd,Crude and Uncut

NinjaBoiX

The mantle has been passed, Trooper is the one true NeoGAF redhead superfan.

tumblr_m9xf4vhlrc1rwup1y.gif

So Manus is a dick. I can get him to half health no problem, but his magic attacks are a pain in the arse! I know you can use the silver pendant to block them, but how big is the timing window? The cast seems to last a second or so.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Thread title change. Ha!

I'm gonna be honest, I put DS2 in just now and the first thing I thought when control was passed to me was literally: "EW".

Well you can play it tonight, don't go to far I'm getting my copy tomorrow evening... I've just got Gwyn, dragon and that man thing boss wise left.

Ta!

Mistel

Banned
The mantle has been passed, Trooper is the one true NeoGAF redhead superfan.

tumblr_m9xf4vhlrc1rwup1y.gif
Well I probably am, but as much as I like Hayley and Paramore I still think you might have that edge still. Redheads are the best even the game agrees with Gwynevere...

Thread title change. Ha!

I'm gonna be honest, I put DS2 in just now and the first thing I thought when control was passed to me was literally: "EW".

Ta!
See you'd not have as much fun without me. At least it doesn't mention Sens... Ew as it looks ugly or the starting area is decrepit. It's not like I could stop you, I know who could do though...

Nordicus

So I'm just going down dese stairs in the Catacombs, minding mah own business because I wanna go and get mah Fire mace +5 ascended 'n' stuff.

Then all of a sudden dis guy, dis unbelievable boney-ass scimitar-wielding mothafucka thinks he's gonna be funny and parry me as I try to backhand the sucka outta my way. Apparently his sense of humor is fucking twisted too, 'cause not only do I go mere 6 feet under, I drop 600 more and before me I see what I can only describe as a gray fucking limbo. Thankfully, I eventually kick the bucket

That skeleton just earned his rightful place on my shitlist.

Dresden

(;☉_☉)

rugioh

Banned
I think I'm up to the boss room in Sen's, just killed the big guy that was throwing explosive rocks... is there really no bonfire between here and the blacksmith?

NinjaBoiX

I think I'm up to the boss room in Sen's, just killed the big guy that was throwing explosive rocks... is there really no bonfire between here and the blacksmith?
The big ogre throwing rocks down the hole? Um, I'm not sure you're meant to do that, you've probably just locked out a fair few goodies doing that. He feeds a big room that you're meant to use to send the rocks down different paths to uncover secrets.

I was about to kill him once, get him down to a sliver of health and stopped myself! What are you doing?!?

Edit: Hey Meat, what don't you like about DS2? What turned you off so immediately?

rugioh

Banned
The big ogre throwing rocks down the hole? Um, I'm not sure you're meant to do that, you've probably just locked out a fair few goodies doing that. He feeds a big room that you're meant to use to send the rocks down different paths to uncover secrets.

I was about to kill him once, get him down to a sliver of health and stopped myself! What are you doing?!?

Edit: Hey Meat, what don't you like about DS2? What turned you off so immediately?

No not that guy, the one throwing the flaming rocks that explode! The one dropping rocks into the hole is still alive. No worries though I found the bonfire with some exploring :) Time to give this guy a taste of my +8 uchigatana, good call on that btw Ninja

mannerbot

There's a bonfire, but it's hidden.
It's in that big open area where the explosive rocks you're talking about first show up. You have to fall off the side of the fortress to get to it. There's also an elevator shortcut at the top that you can unlock.

There are two different giants, and the one that supplies the boulders respawns.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
See you'd not have as much fun without me. At least it doesn't mention Sens... Ew as it looks ugly or the starting area is decrepit. It's not like I could stop you, I know who could do though...

I'm not a finicky man when it comes to games. I enjoyed the shit out of State of Decay and thought it wa buggy as fuck but, all in all, looked alright.

So believe me when I say I'm not exaggerating here. The graphics at the start of DS2 reminded me of a top tier Playstation 2 game.

...then, about ten minutes later, it went and genuinely wowed me. Ten minutes after that, it's a mess again. It's all over the show in that respect. Controls are taking getting used to as well, but the classic Souls gameplay is there.

(;☉_☉)

rofl.gif

NinjaBoiX

Glad you like the Uchi rugioh, nice blade it is.

I didn't realise the ogre respawned mannerbot.

Yikes about Ds2 meat, I think I might wait until next gen.

Mistel

Banned
Sexy female gifs kind of go over my head, I just scroll! :3
tumblr_lkv7w7u0Q91qa7i2xo1_500.gif

We can't be having that...

I'm not a finicky man when it comes to games. I enjoyed the shit out of State of Decay and thought it wa buggy as fuck but, all in all, looked alright.

So believe me when I say I'm not exaggerating here. The graphics at the start of DS2 reminded me of a top tier Playstation 2 game.

...then, about ten minutes later, it went and genuinely wowed me. Ten minutes after that, it's a mess again. It's all over the show in that respect. Controls are taking getting used to as well, but the classic Souls gameplay is there.
Well it could be worse I suppose does it look worse than the first most of the time? Has it got blighttown 2.0?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_lkv7w7u0Q91qa7i2xo1_500.gif

We can't be having that...

Name please.

Well it could be worse I suppose does it look worse than the first most of the time? Has it got blighttown 2.0?

Frame rate is fine. It's the actual graphics/textures that look worse than DS. There must have been a weird filter they used on the first one but everything is very sharp... Except the textures which are hideously muddy. The hub area, however, looks amazing. It's pretty schizo.

The character control is a little off at first, I'm still not quite used to it. The rest of the gameplay is classic, compelling and unforgiving Souls. I didn't want to stop playing, so that's a good thing.

kionedrik

*looks at thread title change*

So... apart from the graphics how does the game feel? Does it play like DS with a few twists, completely different or basically the same? I'll grab the PC version for sure, I just want to know if it's worth a day 1 purchase/pre-order.

Also, wtf happened to this thread? Redheads everywhere. Throw so brunettes and blondes for the sake of diversity as well.

Mistel

Banned
Name please.
Cintia Dicker a model.
Frame rate is fine. It's the actual graphics/textures that look worse than DS. There must have been a weird filter they used on the first one but everything is very sharp... Except the textures which are hideously muddy. The hub area, however, looks amazing. It's pretty schizo.

The character control is a little off at first, I'm still not quite used to it. The rest of the gameplay is classic, compelling and unforgiving Souls. I didn't want to stop playing, so that's a good thing.
Iffy controls and muddy textures? Well hopefully that's all contrasted by gameplay. Did you pick a knight as your starting class?

Redheads everywhere.
Because they're the best that's why...

NinjaBoiX

Meat, I was watching some footage of DS2 and your character seems to kind of skate around a little, maybe a bit too fast? Gasp! I did like the look of the new inventory screen though, it looks slick and a lot easier to peruse.
3UaNkOs.gif

(Best Hayley gif)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Red head is best head. Although Stoya and Franziska Facella deserve more love. :)

Meat, I was watching some footage of DS2 and your character seems to kind of skate around a little, maybe a bit too fast? Gasp! I did like the look of the new inventory screen though, it looks slick and a lot easier to peruse.

Your assessment is correct. It may take getting used to...

Iffy controls and muddy textures? Well hopefully that's all contrasted by gameplay. Did you pick a knight as your starting class?

I did, but I'm rerolling tonight. Knight gear looks pretty sweet, though. I'm going Swordsman or Explorer. Not sure. I prefer being a samurai type in these games but the BKH in DS1 has swung me recently.

So... apart from the graphics how does the game feel? Does it play like DS with a few twists, completely different or basically the same? I'll grab the PC version for sure, I just want to know if it's worth a day 1 purchase/pre-order.

I'm not sure I can say yet. Only had a few hours with it. Still as punishing as DS but, yeah, there are quite a few new systems in place that are intriguing. I'll tell you this: it's fucking HUGE.

DS1 is undoubtedly better, though. So far, at least.

Mistel

Banned
Now that, I do agree on!
(Best Hayley gif)
Red head is best head.
tumblr_lp3v69mM7t1r0uv84o1_400.gif

Exactly as it should be then. Did I mention freckles as well?

Stoya and Franziska Facella deserve more love. :)
Those two are alright I prefer Zoey Nixon to both though.
I did, but I'm rerolling tonight. Knight gear looks pretty sweet. I'm going Swordsman or Explorer. Not sure.
I was leaning toward the knight as the others don't really appeal to me anyway except maybe the warrior. Why are you rerolling your choice?

NinjaBoiX

Dammit Manus! I've had him down to like 25% health but he has so many moves to remember by the time he starts using magic as well.

The radial one with the closing circle is easy to pendant out of, the dark rain too with a last minute dodge, but when he throws out the black goo it catches me every time.

I should just roll back on that one but I've programmed my fingers to tap square the second he starts casting magic. I have only myself to blame.

Fun fight though, I will nail him today!

kionedrik

Dammit Manus! I've had him down to like 25% health but he has so many moves to remember by the time he starts using magic as well.

The radial one with the closing circle is easy to pendant out of, the dark rain too with a last minute dodge, but when he throws out the black goo it catches me every time.

I should just roll back on that one but I've programmed my fingers to tap square the second he starts casting magic. I have only myself to blame.

You can use the pendant twice, or more, in a row, it has a very low cooldown. But his magic attacks are completely dodgeable.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I was leaning toward the knight as the others don't really appeal to me anyway except maybe the warrior. Why are you rerolling your choice?

I was just testing the waters really and the Knight's stats aren't my thing. I didn't get too far in. Swordsman or Explorer for me, I really dig the former's stats, but prefer the latter's armour.

Cool, so you'll be around for some jolly co-op tonight?

Such a good boss battle. Have you got help from a familiar face? He/She won't do much damage but she can invaluable for distracting the big lug.

Mistel

Banned
I was just testing the waters really and the Knight's stats aren't my thing. I didn't get too far in. Swordsman or Explorer for me, I really dig the former's stats, but prefer the latter's armour.

Cool, so you'll be around for some jolly co-op tonight?
I'll definitely be up for some co-op be up for some co-op this evening I can finish off dragon guy and gwyn easily probably... We could play after you feed the little one?

Levyne

Banned
Four Kings on NG+ was bad enough. If I wanted to play again, I'd probably just start clean just so I can avoid having a NG++ or more 4k to worry about >_>

Overdoziz

Banned
My setup was:
Havel legs/gauntlets/body
Grass Crest Shield
Child Mask
Black Knight Halberd +5
Wolf Ring
Abyss Ring

With that and just two-handing the halberd without even bothering to block anything it was over pretty quickly. I tried using Iron Flesh for a bit, but I could kill a king before it ran out which made me very vulnerable for when the next king spawned.

kionedrik

They are a guilty pleasure I admit :)

I'm not sure I can say yet. Only had a few hours with it. Still as punishing as DS but, yeah, there are quite a few new systems in place that are intriguing. I'll tell you this: it's fucking HUGE.

DS1 is undoubtedly better, though. So far, at least.

Well... seems good news to me. From what I've noticed people complain about the graphics, textures and animations but say the gameplay is very pleasant although a bit different from DS. Also, I loved the fact that you said the game world is huge. I'm sure the old hardware (PS3/X360) has some, or most, of the blame for the bad graphical fidelity of the current game, and I hope the PC version is superior in that regard. If not... I guess we'll always have mods and high texture packs to save us.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Well... seems good news to me. From what I've noticed people complain about the graphics, textures and animations but say the gameplay is very pleasant although a bit different from DS. Also, I loved the fact that you said the game world is huge. I'm sure the old hardware (PS3/X360) has some, or most, of the blame for the bad graphical fidelity of the current game, and I hope the PC version is superior in that regard. If not... I guess we'll always have mods and high texture packs to save us.

Absolutely. It is starting to get it's hooks in me, that's for sure. I'm thinking about it away from playing, so that is positive. It's just a bit of a downgrade in terms of graphics (for the most part anyway) and controllability in comparison to DS.

I'm certain that if you can get past those two issues, you'll find a lot to enjoy about it.

Mistel

Banned
Sure thing.
Okay then, I was totally not doing something else as I typed that... Oh and I did the britgaf thingy.

And the confession is out :p I've not even posted any lingerie shoots yet...

It's like fallout new vegas to me, so it might break once in a while and not look that nice but I still enjoy it.

Top Bottom