• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
I'd hope it isn't like New Vegas, because that game crashed more often than not.
When it did work it was alright although I've kinda broke the story so I'm doing the dlc then going back to it eventually. I've not even opened the third one yet.

I feel like I'm really bad at managing my souls and crafting materials. :/
I'm awful too but most of the stuff I can farm up so it's not to bad. I just get souls from the weird people spear slug things in the painted world.

Killed the dragon thingy didn't mange to get its tail though it moved as I was about to and I hit its back side instead :/. Off to kill that main fire guy now then I'm onto the second one.

NinjaBoiX

I had a load of surplus twinkling titanite so I maxed out the rest of my Shadow Set. Turns out it's now better than the Gold Hemmed set I've been wearing for the last few hours. It's a fair bit lighter too. Bonus.

Back to full ninja mode, aww yeah!

vocab

I have Zweihander +10. It's kind of a liability, but its getting shit done. Is the lighting upgrade worth a shit or nah?

NinjaBoiX

I have Zweihander +10. It's kind of a liability, but its getting shit done. Is the lighting upgrade worth a shit or nah?
I found this out to my detriment with Demons Souls, that game beat me at the last hurdle. Fuck heavy tank builds, it's just feels like a trudge at times.

I've gone for a super light dex/faith build with shitloads of endurance with this game, so much more fun running a darting about the place, stabbing fools in the belly with my katana.

Also, I assume you meant lightning with regards to our zwei, just bear in mind that imbuing your sword with elemental effects cancels any dex/str scaling.

Mistel

Banned
Lightning removes all stat scaling from the weapons so it's your call. Or you could use pine resin or sunlight blade instead.

Dragon and Gywn are dead and I left it at firelink in like the second playthrough thing. I wonder how different it goes to drain new londo first so I can join the that other snake thingy cult?

I started the sequel and am ready for co-op Screaming meat... movement feels weird like kinda floaty maybe?

AlexBasch

Yikes at the title change. Been reading and hearing from some Souls fans that 2 ranges between "okay" and "fucking awful." Guess I'll save some money and get the Plat on DS1.

Mistel

Banned
You can always farm more stuff. Nothing runs out.
Yeah, exactly. Worst thing I did was play it straight off the back of DS1.
You can farm titanite slabs? Yeah that probably whats bugging me I started straight after finishing my first play through. I might go back and drain anor londo and do the NG four kings instead so I can talk to the other snake.

eot

Banned
Really wish you could just backstab Gwyn, parrying sucks.

Block the first, parry the second. Or use great combustion. Or just abuse the pillars.

You can farm titanite slabs? Yeah that probably whats bugging me I started straight after finishing my first play through. I might go back and drain anor londo and do the NG four kings instead so I can talk to the other snake.

Darkwraiths can drop them but the rate is very low.

Mistel

Banned
Darkwraiths can drop them but the rate is very low.
Really they drop slabs? Well of to drain anor londo then so I can get that ember and the slabs too. That seems too easy but as for Gywn I just used Solaire as my sunlight buddy.

That upgrade lady in the sequel has a sexy accent... I've got no idea what i'm doing...

Number of NPCs I've accidentally hit and had to kill: 3. :(

1. Blacksmith: Trying out a few different weapons and accidentally hit him. Game auto-saved right away so I had to kill him.

2. Logan: Thought maybe I could break his cage with a swing. Hit him and when I finally unlocked the cage, he was still mad at me so I had to kill him.

3. Guy in the basement of Undead Burg: Tried to break some barrels near him and hit him. Had to kill him once he attacked me.

The friendly fire in the game sucks.

Number of NPCs I've accidentally hit and had to kill: 3. :(

1. Blacksmith: Trying out a few different weapons and accidentally hit him. Game auto-saved right away so I had to kill him.

2. Logan: Thought maybe I could break his cage with a swing. Hit him and when I finally unlocked the cage, he was still mad at me so I had to kill him.

3. Guy in the basement of Undead Burg: Tried to break some barrels near him and hit him. Had to kill him once he attacked me.

The friendly fire in the game sucks.

You know, if you aggro an NPC all you have to do is go pay Oswald to have your sins absolved, and they'll forgive you. So you didn't actually have to kill any of them.

You know, if you aggro an NPC all you have to do is go pay Oswald to have your sins absolved, and they'll forgive you. So you didn't actually have to kill any of them.

I really wish they would explain more things like that. I don't know what a "sin" is in this game's terminology. Explaining game mechanics doesn't ruin the mystery of anything.

I'm also wandering around aimlessly again because I have no idea where to go next. It's the second time this has happened to me in this game. I've spent around 15-16 hours wandering between the first time and this time. I do like the sense of exploration in this game, but there are times when just a hint like, "go to the forest" or "go to the ruins" would really help me out. Now all I can do is backtrack through every single place I've been hoping I can find a new area.

That's a lot of complaining, but I do love this game. It's the most addictive single player game I've played in a very, very long time.

Mistel

Banned
I really wish they would explain more things like that. I don't know what a "sin" is in this game's terminology. Explaining game mechanics doesn't ruin the mystery of anything.

I'm also wandering around aimlessly again because I have no idea where to go next. It's the second time this has happened to me in this game. I've spent around 15-16 hours wandering between the first time and this time. I do like the sense of exploration in this game, but there are times when just a hint like, "go to the forest" or "go to the ruins" would really help me out. Now all I can do is backtrack through every single place I've been hoping I can find a new area.

That's a lot of complaining, but I do love this game. It's the most addictive single player game I've played in a very, very long time.
Well what have you done so far have you gone to done both bells?

Bad7667

I need some help guys. I am trying to craft a better weapon as the lightning spear isn't really useful anymore.

But for some reason I can't craft past +5. I've given the large ember to the smith but neither my jagged ghost blade or falchion has the option to go past +5.

Please help.

I need some help guys. I am trying to craft a better weapon as the lightning spear isn't really useful anymore.

But for some reason I can't craft past +5. I've given the large ember to the smith but neither my jagged ghost blade or falchion has the option to go past +5.

Please help.

Choose "Modify Equipment" and select +6.

Well what have you done so far have you gone to done both bells?

Yeah. I'm actually near the end of them game. I finally found my way. Had to get the key to the New Londo floodgates from the guy in the robe. I thought maybe the ruins were the right area to go to, but it was just a guess. I'm so relieved I'm back on the right track.

Bad7667

Falchion goes to +15, Jagged Ghost Blade only goes to +5, so it won't show up on Modify Equipment Did you try pushing left and right on the d-pad?
Yeah I figured out what was going on. The falchion was magic +5 so I took away the magic then I could go past 5.

I spent like an hour running to the different smiths then to the depths thinking I missed the ember.

Will the furysword be worth the upgrade? I just don't feel like my spear is doing enough damage.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah I figured out what was going on. The falchion was magic +5 so I took away the magic then I could go past 5.

I spent like an hour running to the different smiths then to the depths thinking I missed the ember.

Will the furysword be worth the upgrade? I just don't feel like my spear is doing enough damage.

Thanks for the help.

It depends on your stats. Furysword requires humanity in your counter to reach its maximum effectiveness. Falchion is a pretty good dexterity weapon (doesn't have the highest stats or the best bleed, but good reach and speed) that can definitely take you through the game.

Bad7667

It depends on your stats. Furysword requires humanity in your counter to reach its maximum effectiveness. Falchion is a pretty good dexterity weapon (doesn't have the highest stats or the best bleed, but good reach and speed) that can definitely take you through the game.
I have mostly put points into strength and endurance with some vitality here and there.

So is there something better for me than the furysword I should try to work for?

I have mostly put points into strength and endurance with some vitality here and there.

So is there something better for me than the furysword I should try to work for?

There aren't a whole lot of easily-acquirable weapons with Strength scaling the way there are with Dexterity. The scaling tends to be split between Strength and Dexterity. But there are a few weapons that work for Strength, mainly Club (kind of slow and silly, but really good damage) and Man-serpent Greatsword (might take some grinding for a drop). There's also Great Club, Black Knight Greataxe and Greatsword (too much luck required for these two).

http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Strength

Bad7667

There aren't a whole lot of easily-acquirable weapons with Strength scaling the way there are with Dexterity. The scaling tends to be split between Strength and Dexterity. But there are a few weapons that work for Strength, mainly Club (kind of slow and silly, but really good damage) and Man-serpent Greatsword (might take some grinding for a drop). There's also Great Club, Black Knight Greataxe and Greatsword (too much luck required for these two).

http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Strength
I actually have the serpent sword. I'll try it out.

Thanks the all the help. Really appreciated.

Just made it to Anor Londo for the first time ever. Wow. So worth it. I almost don't even need to beat the rest of it. How far do I have left? What a beautiful place, stark contrast to the rest. Of course, despite thinking I was awesome after sens fortress, it turns out I am terrible and getting my ass just handed to me by the damn gargoyle.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So tonight, I decided to do the one thing I know of that I have left to do in my first play through of Dark Souls:

KsfGVVl.jpg

I opened the Lord Vessel door to see what was behind it. A few spoilers about the ending come next, so if you don't want to have the end spoiled don't read further.

So I started down the staircase and into the Kiln of the 1st Flame. Fought my way past a few knights, by this point they are relatively easy for me. After a bit I came to the fog door and found myself fighting Gwyn, who I know from past posts is the final boss of the game. So I quickly died to him, rather embarrassingly too. Well I decided that it's time, so I made it my mission to keep battling this foe until he lay dead at my feet.

I tried different weapons, different armors, setting myself up for fast rolls and speed, then trying heavy slow armors. I died again, and again, and again. But I learned slowly from it all. It seemed like my fast Quaeloggs Firesword seemed to be the most effective weapon, and gearing up for fire resist seemed to do the most good too. So I settled on my black knight shield and the black armor set, giving me both good fire and physical resists but also good blocking. And I learned that using the rock pillars and stalagmites as buffers similar to the pillars for O&S worked well too.

And on my 11th attempt on Gwyn, after 97 hours of gametime, I was finally victorious!

Feels good man. Feels so good.

So I lit the bonfire, watched the little end cinematic, actually watched all of the credits, and was then just greeted to the very beginning again. Only now I have all of my weapons, armor, inventory, and levels.

And I feel the urge to start playing through the entire game again, LOL. I may actually start a whole character, someone who uses spells since I really didn't mess with spells hardly at all on my first playthrough. Maybe I'll play a paladin type character next, heavy armor but casting heals and faith stuff.

Freakin great game. One of my favorite games of all time, just a masterpiece.

Divius

Amen, brother. And thanks for all the updates along the way, they were fun to read.

You could take your character into NG+ where you start will all your stuff indeed, but enemies are tougher. Starting a second character is also fun, and you'd be amazed how quickly you reach the gargoyles compared to your first playthrough.

Don't know if you used a guide or anything, but you could also check out some areas you may have missed (Ariamis, return to Undead Asylum, Great Hollow, the DLC) with this new playthrough.

Just made it to Anor Londo for the first time ever. Wow. So worth it. I almost don't even need to beat the rest of it. How far do I have left? What a beautiful place, stark contrast to the rest. Of course, despite thinking I was awesome after sens fortress, it turns out I am terrible and getting my ass just handed to me by the damn gargoyle.

lol, I'd say you've only completed about 15-20% of the overall content. You've still got quite a ways to go and I'm just talking about the single player component.

Nordicus

You could take your character into NG+ where you start will all your stuff indeed, but enemies are tougher. Starting a second character is also fun, and you'd be amazed how quickly you reach the gargoyles compared to your first playthrough.
The quirky thing about NG+ balance is that enemies in beginning third are glass-cannony as hell. Taurus Demon was never the most enduring boss, but the speed at which it dies in NG+ is kinda silly

Mistel

Banned
Yeah. I'm actually near the end of them game. I finally found my way. Had to get the key to the New Londo floodgates from the guy in the robe. I thought maybe the ruins were the right area to go to, but it was just a guess. I'm so relieved I'm back on the right track.
You can do new londo earlier if you wanted to, then if you could kill the four kings you can join the dark wraiths.

Just made it to Anor Londo for the first time ever. Wow. So worth it. I almost don't even need to beat the rest of it. How far do I have left? What a beautiful place, stark contrast to the rest.
The view gets even better after Ornstein and Smough... Well providing on your liking for cleavage.

kionedrik

And on my 11th attempt on Gwyn, after 97 hours of gametime, I was finally victorious!

Feels good man. Feels so good.

Congratulations.

So I lit the bonfire...

You're doing it wrong :(

And I feel the urge to start playing through the entire game again, LOL. I may actually start a whole character, someone who uses spells since I really didn't mess with spells hardly at all on my first playthrough. Maybe I'll play a paladin type character next, heavy armor but casting heals and faith stuff.

You're doing it right :)

The quirky thing about NG+ balance is that enemies in beginning third are glass-cannony as hell. Taurus Demon was never the most enduring boss, but the speed at which it dies in NG+ is kinda silly

The difference is that in NG+ you have access to top gear from the start and they aren't made to endure such punishment. From my experience NG++ and onward is much more balanced than NG+.

NinjaBoiX

Congrats Mengy, I've just clocked 90 hours, all the main game down but Gwyn. I'm not finishing it quite yet though, I want to see off the DLC first.

Speaking of which, I just killed Manus, took a lot of perseverance, but I actually enjoyed it this time! Great boss.

I then went back to Undead Asylum and kicked Stray Demon in like a chump, got the titanite shard and maxed out my Uchi.

Going to farm for a bit now, hopefully see of the DLC and clock it today, but we'll see...

Mengy

Don't know if you used a guide or anything, but you could also check out some areas you may have missed (Ariamis, return to Undead Asylum, Great Hollow, the DLC) with this new playthrough.

I didn't use any guides at all yet, but thats a good idea actually, I think I'll peruse the web and see if there is anything I missed my first time around. As far as I know I've done all of the DLC and optional areas, but yeah I'm sure I missed something along the way.

For example, last night after beating Gwyn I played a little bit of new game, got out of the Asylum in just a few minutes. That first demon died without even hitting me once, lol. Nice to see my kindled bonfire at Firelink is still there, do all bonfires stayed kindled between new games? And wouldn't you know it, a few minutes into Undead Burg and I found a little area that I completely missed in my first play through. Now that I'm familiar with the game I wonder what else I missed before I got my DS legs.

I'm gonna do another complete playthrough of this game, aren't I?

Nordicus

Got the Moonlight Greatsword from Seath. Pine Resin + Crystal Halberd with fast-roll speed makes it rather doable almost regardless of build. Otherwise the fight is a pushover

AlexBasch

I felt kinda dumb for not kindling every bonfire in my first playthrough. However, it's fun to play with the master key on NG +, haha.

Mistel

Banned
This thread got really weird and grossly off topic on the last page.
I'm a corrupting influence it seems...
I felt kinda dumb for not kindling every bonfire in my first playthrough. However, it's fun to play with the master key on NG +, haha.
I've not kindled all of them to the max I think the lowest I left one was plus 1 though so that's going to interesting as I don't remember where that was. It's going to be the one I used most knowing me.

I know that some people think that this is the easy way out and not the real way to play dark souls but I loved every minute of it loved my tank build.

Finished my first play trough of the game last week after 2 years of playing the game just in time for 2.

My end stats and pics:

mobile.27glk4b.jpg

mobile.30neyjx.jpg

mobile.31nfk49.jpg

mobile.32d2d3e.jpg

mobile.3399ctv.jpg

mobile.341jzyp.jpg

Nordicus

I cannot for the life of me consistently parry Gwyn.
Have you tried blocking first hit, then parrying the second?

Both his 1-handed and 2-handed combos have somewhat consistent rhythms. I had a hard time parrying too, but once I stopped trying to block the more unpredictable first hits, and concentrated on the more limited 2nd ones, I managed to take him down

Mengy

So wait, if you don't start with the master key, can you find it during a play through? I never found one yet.

Top Bottom