• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

AlexBasch

Quick question, I'm on SL81-82 or so at 21 VIT.

Should I invest in the Faith/Int built to reach 120? Are the weapons worth it? I'm fine with using the Uchi/Lightning Gargoyle Halberd/Fire Claymore, but I'm curious about the Divine setup.

So wait, if you don't start with the master key, can you find it during a play through? I never found one yet.
Bought it from the dude that sells the bosses armors near Firelink Shrine, it does carry over to NG. :p

Mistel

Banned
Quick question, I'm on SL81-82 or so at 21 VIT.

Should I invest in the Faith/Int built to reach 120? Are the weapons worth it? I'm fine with using the Uchi/Lightning Gargoyle Halberd/Fire Claymore, but I'm curious about the Divine setup.
I dumped some levels into faith so I'm sitting about level 28 faith. Now I've only used my divine weapon for skeletons but as for the miracles I've used lighting spear a ton so it might be something that appeals to you...

I know that some people think that this is the easy way out and not the real way to play dark souls but I loved every minute of it loved my tank build.
It's very similar to what I've got except with a few differences, I focused on more sort of mid weight armor and heavier weapons that used strength.

Just finished the game for the first time. Level 92; 61 hours.

Honestly, the most difficult thing about this game was figuring out where to go. I spent at least 15 hours of game time wandering trying to find new areas. Outside of the Taurus Demon, Gargoyles, and Smough, the bosses were not that difficult. I'd say I beat half of them on my first try. The two items that made the game so much easier for me: black knight sword and Havel's ring. Once I got those two items, the game went from very difficult to just "hard." I literally equipped both of those items around level 35 and never unequipped them. There was never a reason to change weapons since the black knight sword +5 gives 330 attack.

It's an excellent game, and probably one of my top 5 games of this generation. I do wish they had explained the game concepts more though. I still don't know what a covenant really is. I ranked up with the chaos servant covenant, and I don't know what that did, either. Plus the crafting was confusing.

Mistel

Banned
I do wish they had explained the game concepts more though. I still don't know what a covenant really is. I ranked up with the chaos servant covenant, and I don't know what that did, either. Plus the crafting was confusing.
That covenant once 30 humanity is offered opens a shortcut to lost izlath without having to cross lava. You should try Orenstein next time he's a better second stage than Smough and I do get a kick out of his interesting move set...

That covenant once 30 humanity is offered opens a shortcut to lost izlath without having to cross lava. You should try Orenstein next time he's a better second stage than Smough and I do get a kick out of his interesting move set...

Holy crap that is a waste of humanity. I gave that stupid spider bitch like 18 humanity. I kept waiting for something to happen.

Mistel

Banned
Holy crap that is a waste of humanity. I gave that stupid spider bitch like 18 humanity. I kept waiting for something to happen.
That shortcut is helpful but you can save solaire without it. You might have enjoyed blade of the dark moons or the forest hunters if you like PvP.

Just finished the game for the first time. Level 92; 61 hours.

Honestly, the most difficult thing about this game was figuring out where to go. I spent at least 15 hours of game time wandering trying to find new areas. Outside of the Taurus Demon, Gargoyles, and Smough, the bosses were not that difficult. I'd say I beat half of them on my first try. The two items that made the game so much easier for me: black knight sword and Havel's ring. Once I got those two items, the game went from very difficult to just "hard." I literally equipped both of those items around level 35 and never unequipped them. There was never a reason to change weapons since the black knight sword +5 gives 330 attack.

It's an excellent game, and probably one of my top 5 games of this generation. I do wish they had explained the game concepts more though. I still don't know what a covenant really is. I ranked up with the chaos servant covenant, and I don't know what that did, either. Plus the crafting was confusing.
The covenants are mainly for online play - either co-op or PvP. Some of them give unique spells and rewards.

If you feel the itch for another playthrough, you could give magic or miracles a go, it can make the game considerably different in tone and feel if you're creative with your spell usage.

xBladeM6x

Going through my fourth character, a Faith build. Was invaded by someone and decided to use Wrath Of The Gods on them. Never again. It's so OP and cheap I honestly feel like the most bitch made ass person in the world right now. xD

NinjaBoiX

Htown, the first bonfire is just after the last coffin slide, near where Patches the dick who
pushes you
is standing. There is a set of ladders right near him, go down to find the bonfire (warp point too).

Mistel

Banned
I don't know what that is.
Gift from ranking up in the forest hunters makes you like semi invisible so harder to see or something like that..

I'm still trying to find the FIRST bonfire.
Just keep going down the sarcophagi till you reach patches then it's just down a ladder to your left. You ready do descend to the depths of the tomb? Did you get the sunlight maggot or are you using a skull instead? A silver knight spear is fine probably not against the black knight though.

NinjaBoiX

Also htown, if you have at least 16 intellect you can use cast light which you buy from the mushroom merchant in Oolacile sanctuary.

Frees up your left hand for a shield I whatevs

NinjaBoiX

Also regarding Priscilla in the painted world:

I attacked her and now I'm trapped until she's dead. I understand that I need to look out for her footprints, but am I missing a trick to make it easier? She proving tricky to hit!

Mistel

Banned

I attacked her and now I'm trapped until she's dead. I understand that I need to look out for her footprints, but am I missing a trick to make it easier? She proving tricky to hit!
If this is your first visit then you are trapped until she dies, but as for making it easier you toxic or poison mist the cloud thingy stays with her when she disappears, so you can see her. Also staggering her makes her visible again. I think I was a bit over prepared I killed her really easily with my +15 man serpent great sword.

kionedrik

The easiest way I found to deal with her is to move around constantly when she's invisible. Eventually you'll be blocked by something and then just swing your sword. Feel free to roll around as well. After a couple of hits she'll become visible again.

Also don't forget the tail.

Nordicus

Running attacks from a distance once you're sure where the boss is, then either keep on bashing if hits and roll the fuck out if not.

The boss is rather slow to attack, so if you either keep on the move or show some good offense, you shouldn't generally get hit. I think her attacks go through your block while invisible, so just drop that shield and use 'em 2 hands.

I guess what I'm try to say is "#YOLO it"

NinjaBoiX

Thanks guys. I only tried it once, figured I kind of had the gist. I'll give those tips a try tomorrow.

Edit: sweet, I love just going mad with the two handed combo. Maxed Uchi, 40 dex and end, a full combo is deadly!

Bulzeeb

Hi guys, I just started playing this game as a mage, do you have any tips? btw what are the covenants and which one should I join?

Mistel

Banned
Hi guys and girl, I just started playing this game as a mage, do you have any tips? btw what are the covenants and which one should I join?
Fixed that for you :).

Covenants are online stuff you've got the way of the white, princesses guard and sunlight warriors as the co-op ones and the rest as PvP.

If you're going the magic root and stuff go for princess for the ring you get as it boosts miracle synergy. Then you could join sunlight for the lightning spear or stay in princess for the healing miracles.

You could easily get the great lightning spear then join princesses guard.

Hi guys, I just started playing this game as a mage, do you have any tips? btw what are the covenants and which one should I join?

Go inmediately to new londo to buy spells with the merchant guy also level up your magic slots to four just to be prepared for incoming spells also there is a hidden merchant who sells a key for a future use.

I dotn want to spoil you more till you get to the garden.

Kalnos

Banned
In the way he used the term I think it's generally accepted that 'guys' is genderless. Regardless, this thread isn't the place for this kind of discussion.

In the way he used the term I think it's generally accepted that 'guys' is genderless. Regardless, this thread isn't the place for this kind of discussion.

Agree, the english language have lots of genderless words like you said "guys" is for both genders so dont get upset Storm.

Nordicus

No matter which type of magic you're going to go for, Sorcery, Pyromancy or Miracles, you still want to get a weapon with a move-set that you enjoy. You'll get into melee combat once in a while, and high Intelligence character can become quite effective at it because they can temporarily buff non-elemental regular weapons.

If you find 2 spell scrolls of same type, you can equip both to get more casting uses

xBladeM6x

Right now I'm trying to collect all the miracles. I'm in the Sunbro Covenant and already offered the 10 Sunlight Medals needed for getting Great Lightning. Here's the thing. I need to join the Gravelord Covenant to get 2 more of the miracles. If I leave do I lose all my offerings and have to offer 10 more once I rejoin? Secondly, do you stay level 1 in your current covenant if you NG+, or do you need to re-offer 10 Sunlight Medals when you NG+ even if you're already in the covenant before NG+'ing?

where do I get THAT?

Am I doing things out of order or something?

It's in Lost Izalith in the cave/room behind the Titanite Demon. I don't think you're necessarily doing things out of order. Once you get the Lordvessel, you can pretty much do things in any order. I just happened to go to the Giant Tombs last.

Nordicus

where do I get THAT?

Am I doing things out of order or something?
Nah not really. It's like Megaman in a sense: sometimes there is a slight bit preferrable order to tackle the areas due to rewards you get, but you can 100% go through them as you wish.

Anyway, the Sunlight Maggot helm can be found in Lost Izalith, you get there through Quelaag's Domain. It's way at the end, get past a Titanite Demon and you'll find an NPC that drops one.

Duji

Is that a problem? My gender identity is important to me.

When directly speaking to and addressing a group of people as "guys" it pretty much includes girls/females anyway (for the sake of brevity). It's not like we're not thinking about you. I refer to my sisters as "guys" all the time and they never cared.

AlexBasch

Isn't there a skull lantern in that pit or is that hard to get with no light source?
I believe there is one, but I found it with my current skull lantern dropped by an enemy. I suppose the 'proper' way is to get kicked by Patches and then climb out with the skull lantern inside that pit.

Bulzeeb

Fixed that for you :).

Covenants are online stuff you've got the way of the white, princesses guard and sunlight warriors as the co-op ones and the rest as PvP.

If you're going the magic root and stuff go for princess for the ring you get as it boosts miracle synergy. Then you could join sunlight for the lightning spear or stay in princess for the healing miracles.

You could easily get the great lightning spear then join princesses guard.

thanks, so I should go for the princess and then change for the sunlight for the spear?

Go inmediately to new londo to buy spells with the merchant guy also level up your magic slots to four just to be prepared for incoming spells also there is a hidden merchant who sells a key for a future use.

I dotn want to spoil you more till you get to the garden.

I already made that because I was exploring but I don't remember finding a key, should I go back?

No matter which type of magic you're going to go for, Sorcery, Pyromancy or Miracles, you still want to get a weapon with a move-set that you enjoy. You'll get into melee combat once in a while, and high Intelligence character can become quite effective at it because they can temporarily buff non-elemental regular weapons.

If you find 2 spell scrolls of same type, you can equip both to get more casting uses

I am going for sorcery and using a shield/sword as a melee weapon, so far I have 2 spells and beat the bull demon. I am going for intelligence, stamina, vitallity and sometimes attunement, I heard something about the buff but I don't know how to do that yet =/

anyways, this game is fun so far and I think the mage is giving me some advantange in some situations due to the range of the spells

Continuing from last time...

I decided now would be a good time to go beat Kalameet, and I did. I think it only took me around 3 or 4 tries before I bested him. It was a fun fight, and I liked it much more than Artorias, if only because it didn't feel like I was getting ruined because of some mid-fight powerup.

Went down to fight Magus and beat it my first try. Said goodbye to Oolacile and all of its inhabitants, and made my way down into the Demon Ruins!

Demon Ruins has been a cake walk, thus far. I think I definitely am overpowered at this point. Beat the Ceaseless Discharge, Fire Demonsage, and Centipede guy all on my first attempts. Centipede had me sweating at the beginning, thinking it would be a long war of attrition, but when it dropped the charred ring, it was over.

I found my way into Lost Izaleth, but the headless demon guy there was way too scary, so I decided to abandon it for now. I might try with some of those soul arrows next time. Also ran into Solaire being bummed. It's okay dude, the sun's upstairs, not down here.

Going to keep going further down into the hellish area next time!

thanks, so I should go for the princess and then change for the sunlight for the spear?

I already made that because I was exploring but I don't remember finding a key, should I go back?

The merchant is located when you first met the red dragon before the bondfire to the right you will see two hollow guards, kill them then destroy some barrels till you see the hidden ladders.

Remember the spear is not for mages is actually a miracle so you have to level up faith if you want to use it.

mages have its own spear version but its endgame unlike clerics who can get the spear it in the first half of the game.

Joei

So I'm going through Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, and man, I really like these areas. I read these areas get A LOT of hate, but I really enjoy them. Some of my favorite areas of the game. I just got to the part with the NPC
Solaire by the bonfire
and something about that interaction with him puts him over the top for me. My only real complaint is that I wish there were a few more enemies between
Firesage and the Centipede boss fights
. I'm curious on why people hate these areas so much.

Deitus

Well the Princess Covenant is not available til quite a ways in, and the Sunlight Covenant takes some doing to get access to early on as well. If you want the co-op benefits, you might stick with the Way of the White early on. Talk to Petrus in Firelink to join.

No, I wouldn't worry about that yet. That's something to worry about much later on when you are strong enough to actually tackle that area. For now, the only reason to bother with that area is for that merchant down there.

I am going for sorcery and using a shield/sword as a melee weapon, so far I have 2 spells and beat the bull demon. I am going for intelligence, stamina, vitallity and sometimes attunement, I heard something about the buff but I don't know how to do that yet =/

You will find a merchant later on that sells a wider array of spells. One of which is Magic Weapon, which can enchant your sword with magic damage for a minute. There are also more powerful versions of that spell, but those come even later. There is also a way to upgrade your weapon to have permanent magic damage. This will do less damage than buffing a normal weapon, but it doesn't wear off, and you don't have to use an attunement slot.

So I'm going through Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, and man, I really like these areas. I read these areas get A LOT of hate, but I really enjoy them. Some of my favorite areas of the game. I just got to the part with the NPC
Solaire by the bonfire
and something about that interaction with him puts him over the top for me. My only real complaint is that I wish there were a few more enemies between
Firesage and the Centipede boss fights
. I'm curious on why people hate these areas so much.

Demon Ruins is a really nice looking area, but the problem comes more in terms of level design and enemy placement. You have a whole lot of bonfires really close together with very little to do in between them. Outside of the few rockworm traps, there's really no surprises to be had. It's not bad, just bland. Edit: Bosses are easy mode as well.

As for Lost Izalith, where do I start? Half of the area is a huge open lava field that burns into your retinas and there is basically nothing there, but it takes quite a while to run across. There are dozens of annoying as hell bounding demons randomly strewn across the area that serve no purpose at all, because you can easily ignore them and only a couple are really in your way. There are like 5 treasures in the whole lava area and they are just souls and humanity. Once you get past the lava, the upper area is completely covered with one of the most boring enemies in the game, that pop out every 2 steps. And then there are a handful of Chaos Eaters in the area, who are the second most boring enemy in the game. And the boss... well if you haven't gotten there, I'll let you discover that firsthand.

Bulzeeb

The merchant is located when you first met the red dragon before the bondfire to the right you will see two hollow guards, kill them then destroy some barrels till you see the hidden ladders.

Remember the spear is not for mages is actually a miracle so you have to level up faith if you want to use it.

mages have its own spear version but its endgame unlike clerics who can get the spear it in the first half of the game.

oh, I found the merchant and he sold me some key for some houses in there, was that the secret key that I was told?

waby

Am I too late to play this? lol DS is kinda hard to play with keyboard and mouse. I might buy some 360 controller for this.

Top Bottom