• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Joei

Demon Ruins is a really nice looking area, but the problem comes more in terms of level design and enemy placement. You have a whole lot of bonfires really close together with very little to do in between them. Outside of the few rockworm traps, there's really no surprises to be had. It's not bad, just bland. Edit: Bosses are easy mode as well.

As for Lost Izalith, where do I start? Half of the area is a huge open lava field that burns into your retinas and there is basically nothing there, but it takes quite a while to run across. There are dozens of annoying as hell bounding demons randomly strewn across the area that serve no purpose at all, because you can easily ignore them and only a couple are really in your way. There are like 5 treasures in the whole lava area and they are just souls and humanity. Once you get past the lava, the upper area is completely covered with one of the most boring enemies in the game, that pop out every 2 steps. And then there are a handful of Chaos Eaters in the area, who are the second most boring enemy in the game. And the boss... well if you haven't gotten there, I'll let you discover that firsthand.

Yeah, I've beat the game before, this is a random playthrough I wanted to do before I get too involved with DS2. I still like the areas though. Yeah, the enemies aren't the best and the lava is a little blinding, but I like the overall design of the area. I like the bosses, although
Firesage is an un-needed rehash
, but the Izalith one
reminds me of the dragon boss from 2-3
so I didn't mind that one.

Toxi

Banned
As for Lost Izalith, where do I start? Half of the area is a huge open lava field that burns into your retinas and there is basically nothing there, but it takes quite a while to run across. There are dozens of annoying as hell bounding demons randomly strewn across the area that serve no purpose at all, because you can easily ignore them and only a couple are really in your way. There are like 5 treasures in the whole lava area and they are just souls and humanity. Once you get past the lava, the upper area is completely covered with one of the most boring enemies in the game, that pop out every 2 steps. And then there are a handful of Chaos Eaters in the area, who are the second most boring enemy in the game. And the boss... well if you haven't gotten there, I'll let you discover that firsthand.
On the plus side, the encounters with NPCs in that area are pretty well done, and I like
the ambush with Kirk and the Daughter of Chaos

Mistel

Banned
oh, I found the merchant and he sold me some key for some houses in there, was that the secret key that I was told?
That secret key is the master key I think it allows you to open up a lot of shortcuts and stuff.

Am I too late to play this? lol DS is kinda hard to play with keyboard and mouse. I might buy some 360 controller for this.
No it's a fine time to start playing.

Am I too late to play this? lol DS is kinda hard to play with keyboard and mouse. I might buy some 360 controller for this.
Never too late! Though as a console port, the game was made for a pad. I think there might be a fix that makes kb/m more tolerable though(?)

Looks like my save has been corrupted... yeah I'm done lol, no way I'm starting over.

Gonna just move to Dark Souls 2 now.

^So that happened. A friend recommended to me that I simply mod a new save (I'm on Xbox) and adjust the stats to what they were before, would that even work?

Mistel

Banned
^So that happened. A friend recommended to me that I simply mod a new save (I'm on Xbox) and adjust the stats to what they were before, would that even work?
I think might be against the live modding thingy but if you can figure out how, I don't see why not.

It's amazing to me that I played through this game so diligently and I keep seeing you all talk about things I never saw. I can't believe I missed so much when I painstakingly went through each area multiple times trying to find everything. I know there's DLC, but I feel like I somehow missed a lot of regular content.

Anyway, I started a NG+ and as someone remarked earlier, it's amazing how fast you get to the first bell on your second play through. I'm going at least 10x faster than on my first run.

Chitown B

you can mod saves, but it's not easy to mod like that, unless there is a specific DS1 editor. I've modded a Skyrim save before to add back in a required armor set that I had sold, but that's it.

NinjaBoiX

Goddamn these twin Sanctuary Guardians are kicking my ass! I might just go and kill Kalameet (or try) then just finish up with Gwyn. I just hate to leave a boss alive!

NinjaBoiX

Hide in the tunnel and shoot arrows to weaken them. Watch out for their lightning.
Yeah, I tried this but was doing very little damage. I suppose I could just plug away at it, I have plenty of arrows.

I killed one no problem, but two is a nightmare with how agile they are. If you have them both close it's not too bad, but trying to dodge ones melee attacks while simultaneously dodging another's projectiles is beyond my ninja skills.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I tried this but was doing very little damage. I suppose I could just plug away at it, I have plenty of arrows.

I killed one no problem, but two is a nightmare with how agile they are. If you have them both close it's not too bad, but trying to dodge ones melee attacks while simultaneously dodging another's projectiles is beyond my ninja skills.

Yeah, they're pretty beastly in pairs (no pun intended). It's just to weaken them really. You got a dragon slayer bow you can use? Might be quicker.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, they're pretty beastly in pairs (no pun intended). It's just to weaken them really. You got a dragon slayer bow you can use? Might be quicker.
Yeah I have, I just have it in my head that the Pharis is always my best bet! I'm a creature of habit, shadow set, Uchi and Pharis. I'll mix it up a little, see what works best.

Anyway, I still have to kill (painted world spoiler)
invisible Priscilla, I'm now trapped! Shouldn't be too hard,
I'll get it done. ;)

kionedrik

anyone else let down by the two endings? the scene was kinda neat in each, but then just roll credits. After 117 hours.

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." - Greg Anderson

I agree with this quote and I think it applies perfectly to this game.

Also, both endings tie things up perfectly, depending on which side of the conflict you choose (which snake you decide to trust).

anyone else let down by the two endings? the scene was kinda neat in each, but then just roll credits. After 117 hours.

Dark souls is really self explanatory on its own way about the endings maybe the Dark Lord ending its dificult to understand because you have to join the dark wraiths also its confirmed in DS II that
Dark Lord ending
is the canon ending.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I have, I just have it in my head that the Pharis is always my best bet! I'm a creature of habit, shadow set, Uchi and Pharis. I'll mix it up a little, see what works best.

Anyway, I still have to kill (painted world spoiler)
invisible Priscilla, I'm now trapped! Shouldn't be too hard,
I'll get it done. ;)

Piece of piss, man.

Chitown B

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." - Greg Anderson

I agree with this quote and I think it applies perfectly to this game.

Also, both endings tie things up perfectly, depending on which side of the conflict you choose (which snake you decide to trust).

I didn't want a lot of speech on it, I just thought it might have more to see.

I literally had one try last night, figured out to watch her footsteps, then died stupidly. I'm just going to go in whaling away with both hands!

My advice - hit her a couple times with a good staggering R1 before she swings, once her footsteps trample each other while circling. This will stagger her. Then do a couple R2's and back up while she swings twice. Then jump in for another R2 and go from there.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
kS44pMY.png

image.php

On another note, what's the general consensus, RE: this thread's new title? I've been staying out of all DS2 discussions, as I'd like to go into the game blind when it comes out for PC. Without spoiling anything, are people saying that DS2 is better then DS1, or the other way around? Or are opinions largely split? (Such as how there are a fair amount of people that disagree on whether Dark Souls or Demon Souls is better.)

Kyuur

image.php

On another note, what's the general consensus, RE: this thread's new title? I've been staying out of all DS2 discussions, as I'd like to go into the game blind when it comes out for PC. Without spoiling anything, are people saying that DS2 is better then DS1, or the other way around? Or are opinions largely split? (Such as how there are a fair amount of people that disagree on whether Dark Souls or Demon Souls is better.)

Split just as much as DaS1 vs DeS.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
image.php

Personally, I've only had a few hours with it. So far? It's not as good as DS1 at the minute, but that isn't to say it isn't good in it's own right and won't surpass it with more time. That could simply be because DS1 was my first, but I'm not sure. The thing is, I'm thinking about it when I'm not playing, which is the sign of a good game, I think.

Coming straight off the back of DS1, my biggest issues are the visuals (which veer from PS2 quality to amazing and back again in the first three areas) and the controls (which are much more floaty and slower to respond). I'm getting used to both of these the more distance I have from DS1, but they aren't ideal. It just doesn't seem quite as well put together.

On the other hand, the game seems huge from the little I've explored and there are some interesting systems that I'm looking forward to getting to the bottom of. The voice acting is a billion times better and there are plenty of cool references to past Souls games. Barring the controls, this still plays like a Souls game. It's fucking punishing!

I'd suggest playing a few non-souls games to get some distance before diving in with both feet and judging for yourself! :)

Split just as much as DaS1 vs DeS.

This makes me happy actually. I would be concerned if it wasn't the case.

Personally, I've only had a few hours with it. So far? It's not as good as DS1 at the minute, but that isn't to say it isn't good in it's own right and won't surpass it with more time. That could simply be because DS1 was my first, but I'm not sure. The thing is, I'm thinking about it when I'm not playing, which is the sign of a good game, I think.

Coming straight off the back of DS1, my biggest issues are the visuals (which veer from PS2 quality to amazing and back again in the first three areas) and the controls (which are much more floaty and slower to respond). I'm getting used to both of these the more distance I have from DS1, but they aren't ideal. It just doesn't seem quite as well put together.

On the other hand, the game seems huge from the little I've explored and there are some interesting systems that I'm looking forward to getting to the bottom of. The voice acting is a billion times better and there are plenty of cool references to past Souls games. Barring the controls, this still plays like a Souls game. It's fucking punishing!

I'd suggest playing a few non-souls games to get some distance before diving in with both feet and judging for yourself! :)

Thanks, great overview! I am indeed planning on taking a Souls break until April 25th, so I can go in kind of fresh (especially since I've played a ton of DS1 over the past couple of months, and need a break before DS2).

Chitown B

started NG+ last night. Haven't done anything yet.

So, do the enemies just give more damage and take more hits, or are they also harder and more aggressive?

Mistel

Banned
I'm pretty much the same as screaming meat about 2. Really other than the whole life gem estus flask healing thing which I'm kinda crap at managing. It's a bit more difficult I think maybe a tad?

I'm in love with the cute accent that like level up lady has swoon...

JustinBB7

started NG+ last night. Haven't done anything yet.

So, do the enemies just give more damage and take more hits, or are they also harder and more aggressive?

They're pretty much the same, some bosses have more moves though I think. But not many.
Artorias can do 5 spins max instead of 3 for example

I'm pretty much the same as screaming meat about 2. Really other than the whole life gem estus flask healing thing which I'm kinda crap at managing. It's a bit more difficult I think maybe a tad?

I'm in love with the cute accent that like level up lady has swoon...
She's a redhead too isn't she? Those flame haired Irish!

Since I can't afford Dark Souls 2 I started replaying this as a dual wielder from start to finish. I have limited free-time to play but i'm having a shitload of fun this way. So, so much fun. I'll limit my endurance so it doesn't get too easy.

NinjaBoiX

You know what I always thought would be a badass Dark Souls character? A stocky little dwarf, all nimble and darting carrying a nasty axe in each hand.

Would build.

vocab

image.php

It's really a weird split. I personally find DS2 to be easier than Dark Souls just by observing a few players who are known to not be that great at souls games. The improved covenant and online already makes me like it a lot more. I'm pretty biased though. I like Demon's a lot better than Dark Souls.

Ferr986

Dark souls is really self explanatory on its own way about the endings maybe the Dark Lord ending its dificult to understand because you have to join the dark wraiths also its confirmed in DS II that
Dark Lord ending
is the canon ending.

really?
because Im halfway though the game but it seems otherwise

lol, I actually mentioned in the other thread that said mod's joke title is going to make people think the game sucked.

To answer your question, most people are having a blast and consider it a worthy successor to the franchise. Everyone has criticisms - I have more than a few - but the conversation going on is more like the Demon's versus Dark argument you mentioned and hasn't devolved into one side outright hating the other game. I swore to myself that I wouldn't weigh in for one game over the other until I has finished DSII. Too busy enjoying the game to worry about comparing it to others.

Nordicus

I'm getting into the DLC for the first time, and I gotta ask: is it weird that I found Artorias to be far easier than Sanctuary guardian?

I think I died against the sanctuary guardian around 20+ times, while Artorias took six tries to beat, almost could have had him on 3rd.

He really didn't have an attack I couldn't reliably block or dodge with perhaps the exception of that spinning sword rush. Some of the comboes were pretty taxing on stamina, but often I could just retreat out of reach mid-combo.

Sanctuary Guardian had much fiercer, trickier offense and just wouldn't leave me an opening except after the wave attack. Artorias was like Sif and Penetrator mixed together, both very predictable, straight-forward combatants

Levyne

Banned
Sanctuary Guardian was hard for me because for some reason, being the first DLC boss, I had to tackle all of those new bosses differently. Felt like the windows to attack them were significantly smaller (but more frequent). So the Guardian was kind of like practice for Artorias.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Screaming Meat has the right of it in terms of DS1 vs DS2.
Dark Lord ending
is the canon ending.
You can get that ending without joining any specific covenant by just leaving the area at that point in the game. The spoiler part is still up in the air, but certain item descriptions in 2 strongly suggest otherwise.

Edit: just realized you meant "to understand the ending you have to join the Dark Wraiths. My bad.

Everyone, I cannot beat O and S. I just can't do it. I've got my lightning spear at +3, my claymore at +10, I'm dodging as best I can, but I just can't do it. I think I am simply not good enough. I am afraid this may be the end of my dark souls adventure. I'm horribly depressed.

Mistel

Banned
Everyone, I cannot beat O and S. I just can't do it. I've got my lightning spear at +3, my claymore at +10, I'm dodging as best I can, but I just can't do it. I think I am simply not good enough. I am afraid this may be the end of my dark souls adventure. I'm horribly depressed.
Why don't you just summon solaire or another player to help you with jolly co-operation?

rugioh

Banned

If you wear the silver knight set you get pretty good lightning resist, and something I wish I knew before i summoned help to beat it is that many of ornstein's attacks can simply be blocked with a good lightning resistant shield. Use pillars to disrupt smough's charging attack and just poke one of them down little by little.

But yeah if you're super stuck I'd just summon Solaire and try to divide them up and conquer.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccDia1wqYK8

The Eagle Shield is real good. Wish I knew that before I summoned help :(

Hmm I do have the eagle shield. Perhaps I'll try it. I prefer being nimble, above actually been fighting nearly naked up til now. Perhaps I'll switch things up.

rugioh

Banned
Hmm I do have the eagle shield. Perhaps I'll try it. I prefer being nimble, above actually been fighting nearly naked up til now. Perhaps I'll switch things up.

Yeah my downfall is that I've gotten so cocky that I just tried to fastroll everything that they throw out instead of blocking, but I think the fight is very doable if you don't try to roll through everything and you space them out with the pillars and block wisely. Patience and a good stable shield seems to be the key to the fight.

The problem I seem to encounter is imply claymore does huge damage to ornstein, but he'll get a hit in that drains half my bar. Inevitably I then die trying to get being a pillar in time to heal. I've had him down to 10% before and I'm convinced if I get him I could handle slow ass smough on his own, it's just I can't quite get there.

Edit - wow that video is impressive.

Top Bottom