• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I feel like I'm missing something because I feel like I'm always low on humanity. As in, usually running with zero.

The problem I seem to encounter is imply claymore does huge damage to ornstein, but he'll get a hit in that drains half my bar. Inevitably I then die trying to get being a pillar in time to heal. I've had him down to 10% before and I'm convinced if I get him I could handle slow ass smough on his own, it's just I can't quite get there.

Edit - wow that video is impressive.
I used Jolly Co-operation to beat O&S.

It's really the best way.

image.php

On another note, what's the general consensus, RE: this thread's new title? I've been staying out of all DS2 discussions, as I'd like to go into the game blind when it comes out for PC. Without spoiling anything, are people saying that DS2 is better then DS1, or the other way around? Or are opinions largely split? (Such as how there are a fair amount of people that disagree on whether Dark Souls or Demon Souls is better.)

I am really enjoying DSII its practically a sequel not dark souls 1.5 reusing assets and sutff like sequels these days.

But some things like the bonfires are used more like a checkpoints rather than resting zones and less punishing when you learn how to be always a human.

Toxi

Banned
0x600.jpg

Yep I've found my new Gywnevre... And this one has a sexy accent! Can you kill the 4 kings straight away, or do you need the lord vessel to access them?
You need to kill Sif for the Ring of Artorias and you need to kill Ingward to get the key to the seal, but other than that, you're free to kill them at any time.
Everyone, I cannot beat O and S. I just can't do it. I've got my lightning spear at +3, my claymore at +10, I'm dodging as best I can, but I just can't do it. I think I am simply not good enough. I am afraid this may be the end of my dark souls adventure. I'm horribly depressed.
General tips
  • Keep both enemies in your view
  • Use the pillars to separate the two, but again, always keep both enemies in your view
  • Also stay near the pillars so you can easily avoid Smough's charging attacks. If you can't get behind a pillar, move back and then roll as he swings.
  • For Ornstein's charge, dodge right or left or, if you're gutsy, forward. NEVER back. If you hear it from offscreen (whoosh sound), start rolling while you try to get a bead on him.
  • Ornstein has two jumping attacks, a stab and an overhead chop. Stab can be dodged by rolling to side, chop is very difficult to dodge except at the last second.
  • If you kill Ornstein first, you can bait out Super Smough's attacks and hit him during the recovery. Try to keep the two of you separated by the pillars.
  • If you kill Smough first, stay up close to Super Ornstein. The only attacks you're vulnerable too up close are the predictable lightning buttslam and the grab which has a start-up of Ornstein jumping back. When his foot touches the floor, roll.
just solo'd NG+ gargoyles in one try. NBD.
NG+ starts easy and gets much, much more difficult when you reach Anor Londo.

Mistel

Banned
You need to kill Sif for the Ring of Artorias and you need to kill Ingward to get the key to the seal, but other than that, you're free to kill them at any time
It takes the ring off of you if you already have it? Well sif is easy anyway, I'm going to leave wizard plumber alive though as he's curse removal.

I feel like I'm missing something because I feel like I'm always low on humanity. As in, usually running with zero.
Farm some. How far are you in the game?

The rats in the Depths is good early game for humanity. You also get one for killing a boss in co-op, plus tons of souls of course. The Abyss in the DLC is the other farming place. Some people use Tomb of Giants, but I always found it annoying since the drops from the
baby skeletons
disappear very quickly.

As far as to which ending in Dark Souls is the canon ending, I'll just remind everything of one thing: Time is distorted in Lordran.
It's entirely possible that both endings are canon.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Farm some. How far are you in the game?

The rats in the Depths is good early game for humanity. You also get one for killing a boss in co-op, plus tons of souls of course. The Abyss in the DLC is the other farming place. Some people use Tomb of Giants, but I always found it annoying since the drops from the
baby skeletons
disappear very quickly.

I decided to skip Tomb of Giants until I can try to find that light helmet or whatever. Currently chilling at the bonfire after Centipede Demon.

Chitown B

That thing has carried me from my first visit to Darkroot Basin right through to the end. It supplanted the Iaito as my favourite weapon five minutes after picking it up. The stat investment is worth it IMO

lucky. It didn't drop for me in DRB, so I had to wait until the Kiln to get mine.

I personally found them a nightmare in NG+. Well, the ones in the second church anyway. I just kill the dude on top from a distance now and skip that part.
Ah the church part was annoying as hell, since they can kill you behind the wall and the screaming mother can stun you from distance

NinjaBoiX

I've got one there every time...

I thought it was a sure thing!
Yeah, goodies from the five black knights in the kiln have a 100% drop rate.

Edit: misread your post, ignore previous sentence!

I've just farmed enough red titanite to get a chaos weapon, I went for the Falchion. I love the moveset of this thing, the R2 is lush. I still need the slab to max it, but even with only one humanity in stock it's pretty lethal at +4.

I'm just going to kill Gwyn now, try the rest of the DLC and some other bits and pieces I missed on a NG+.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, goodies from the five black knights in the kiln have a 100% drop rate.

Edit: misread your post, ignore previous sentence!

I've just farmed enough red titanite to get a chaos weapon, I went for the Falchion. I love the moveset of this thing, the R2 is lush. I still need the slab to max it, but even with only one humanity in stock it's pretty lethal at +4.

I'm just going to kill Gwyn now, try the rest of the DLC and some other bits and pieces I missed on a NG+.

DLC first! Game ends when you whack Gwyn!

kionedrik

They can stun lock you? I just downed them in one hit in my first play through I don't think the ghosts ever actually killed me.

The problem is when they group up on you. 1v1 they are no problem.

That thing has carried me from my first visit to Darkroot Basin right through to the end. It supplanted the Iaito as my favourite weapon five minutes after picking it up. The stat investment is worth it IMO

You were lucky. But if you licked the BKH you'd love the axe. Also Uchi > Iaito.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, it seems to make more sense to carry on seeing as much as I can before I NG. I'll probably just want to blast through on a NG+.

I was testing you guys, I was hoping to be convinced!

I think I'll leave the two sanctuary guardians until a bit later though, probably go and kill Kalameet and then I'm not sure what else there is to do in the main game.

What's this VoD thing you're talking about Trooper? Also, any bosses I may have missed, areas I should go and check out?

NinjaBoiX

Guys:
2qjAUy8.jpg

lol
That Uchi stab though, so useful! The double handed R2 is so cool too.
It's a valley full of drakes I think, I just poked my head around the door and left. It has an undead dragon in it.
Oh yeah, I know of it, I've had a little mooch, I just thought you knew a secret of some description.
Valley of Drakes only has an Undead Dragon, that's it.
Yeah, that's what I thought.
I like the thrust attack more than the slash.
Good man. It can save your bacon in tight corridors. I've used the Uchi for like 90% of my playthrough, it's a ma boi.

NinjaBoiX

It has that witch ladies stuff after the four kings are killed, she a corpse like near the new londo entrance.
Oh yeah, I forgot it led up to New Londo. I might go for a wander up, for old times sake.
Pffft Uchi lovers.

When you take down a Black Knight and the last hit is with the Iaito R2, it makes you feel like a SAMURAI GOD.
The follow up R1 after the lunging stab with the Uchi is actually quite similar to the Iaito's R2 minus the lunge.

I'll be honest, I favour my Uchi out of habit and the fact that it's maxed. I just broke down my Iaito from a fire sword, so it's a lowly +5 at the mo!

Also, good call on the silver knights spear. I have that maxed too, a big R2 sweep just crushes a group of skellies. Massive reach, and you can block while using it. It's a fantastic weapon.

Mistel

Banned
Oh yeah, I forgot it led up to New Londo. I might go for a wander up, for old times sake.
It's right opposite the blighttown cave you can't miss it on the ledge. So I assume all (excluding solaire) of the phantom's are from time before you even arrived and have been long dead?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How can you be a god with that puny weapon? I think a nice big man serpent sword is better...

I have that on my STR. I can do more DPS with the Iaito. I know it's moves better too.

Speed trumps strength every time, Troop.

Also, good call on the silver knights spear. I have that maxed too, a big R2 sweep just crushes a group of skellies. Massive reach, and you can block while using it. It's a fantastic weapon.

Oh hell yeah. It's a beaut for DEX builds.

NinjaBoiX

+1 on the speed thing, it's not just a wise choice, it's more fun to play. I loathe tanking through a souls game, I can't believe I did it with demons.

I would just run around naked if I was farming or whatever!
It's right opposite the blighttown cave you can't miss it on the ledge. So I assume all (excluding solaire) of the phantom's are from time before you even arrived and have been long dead?
I don't know, I haven't followed the plot/characters at all. I'm not sure what your mean. Solaire is the guy with the sun on his chest right? I know the merchants, Andre, Vamos and The Giant, and obviously bosses and stuff, but I almost ignored the NPC's.

I don't know where they go, they seem to just vanish at certain points, I rarely talk to them, a lot of the game outside the actual combat, systems and mechanics and stuff utterly eludes me. But I enjoy that in a way, it gives this sense of mystery.

I'd probably have gotten more out of the game by really getting involved with the lore, but I guess that ship has sailed.

Top Bottom