• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
I don't know, I haven't followed the plot/characters at all. I'm not sure what your mean. Solaire is the guy with the sun on his chest right? I know the merchants, Andre, Vamos and The Giant, and obviously bosses and stuff, but I almost ignored the NPC's.

I don't know where they go, they seem to just vanish at certain points, I rarely talk to them, a lot of the game outside the actual combat, systems and mechanics and stuff utterly eludes me. But I enjoy that in a way, it gives this sense of mystery.

I'd probably have gotten more out of the game by really getting involved with the lore, but I guess that ship has sailed.
Well the only person I paid attention to was solaire, who must have really bad eyes for all that time he stares at the sun, so I've got no ideas what was going on really. I can literally summarize it as a homicidal rampage through a country, because some snake thing wanted me to light a bonfire.

You need to kill Sif for the Ring of Artorias and you need to kill Ingward to get the key to the seal, but other than that, you're free to kill them at any time.

General tips
  • Keep both enemies in your view
  • Use the pillars to separate the two, but again, always keep both enemies in your view
  • Also stay near the pillars so you can easily avoid Smough's charging attacks. If you can't get behind a pillar, move back and then roll as he swings.
  • For Ornstein's charge, dodge right or left or, if you're gutsy, forward. NEVER back. If you hear it from offscreen (whoosh sound), start rolling while you try to get a bead on him.
  • Ornstein has two jumping attacks, a stab and an overhead chop. Stab can be dodged by rolling to side, chop is very difficult to dodge except at the last second.
  • If you kill Ornstein first, you can bait out Super Smough's attacks and hit him during the recovery. Try to keep the two of you separated by the pillars.
  • If you kill Smough first, stay up close to Super Ornstein. The only attacks you're vulnerable too up close are the predictable lightning buttslam and the grab which has a start-up of Ornstein jumping back. When his foot touches the floor, roll.

NG+ starts easy and gets much, much more difficult when you reach Anor Londo.

BEAT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally had someone help me coop and not attack Smough first, plus I summoned Solaire. Ornstein went down fairly easily, and after Solaire died the two of us tag teamed the crap out of Smough. WOW. What a feeling. Unbelievable.

akira28

So I'm in New Londo Ruins, just before the valley of the drakes, and I get ambushed by two Darkwraiths. I'm dodging and jumping and trying to get my estus flask out, and suddenly a super rare Evil Vagrant is around the corner waiting for me. I knock it over a small cliff, get my health back up, and barely miss a Darkwraith sword thrust into my back. I jump off the cliff too. It's a survivable fall, but then the Darkwraith jumps down too, and lands on my head for 3 damage a la Super Mario. I'm stun-locked, and then that large egg sized Evil Vagrant destroys me with a laser machine gun....

wtf. This game. Kills me.

NinjaBoiX

Farmed it up good tonight. Currently sitting at:
35 Titan
30 large Titan
15 chunks
22 twinkly
40 green
20 blue
10 red
10 white
1 white slab
6 demon
5 dragon

Gold covetous serpent ring and 10 humanity does the biz. My chaos Falchion is pretty cool too, but the reach is a bit shit and it doesn't do as much damage as my trusty Uchi.

Relevant tune (do you guys ever post tunes in here?):

Leftfield - Swords
(Glorious, adore this shit.)

Kalameet tomorrow.
Well the only person I paid attention to was solaire, who must have really bad eyes for all that time he stares at the sun, so I've got no ideas what was going on really. I can literally summarize it as a homicidal rampage through a country, because some snake thing wanted me to light a bonfire.
gifs_20pnbow.gif

What sort of armour / weapon builds are people using? I've been running the same thing for a while, and I wanted to compare with other people.

Armour:
  • + 5 Gargoyle Helm
  • + 9 Tattered Cloth Robe
  • + 9 Tattered Cloth Manchette
  • + 9 Heavy Boots

Weapons:
  • + 5 Black Knight Sword
  • + 5 Ascended Pyromancy Flame
  • + 5 Fire Longbow
  • + 5 Black Knight Shield

Rings:
  • Havel's Ring
  • Ring Of The Evil Eye

Also, since joining this forum I've spent <90% of my time just looking at this thread.

Overdoziz

Banned
Just beat O&S and Four Kings both in one try on my NG+3 run. Feels good. O&S fight was actually kinda funny because Solaire killed Smough at the exact time that I killed Ornstein. Ended up having to fight super Ornstein which I had never done before, but which ended up to be just about as hard as super Smough, if not a bit easier. Four Kings fight went surprisingly smooth. I should've really started using the Wolf Ring against them earlier, makes it incredibly easy to tank them.

Mistel

Banned
not true. if you just happen to have enough humanity on you and open the shortcut. Totally by chance.
You could not actually talk to him till after you get the sunlight maggot? Isn't that easier?

No one actually told me the truth did they I mean that snake lied to me I think? I didn't really understand it.

No one actually told me the truth did they I mean that snake lied to me I think? I didn't really understand it.

Both are lying, the darkwraith snake wants to end the age of fire and destroy gwyn era to give power to the humans, possibly to control them and gather pigmy's dark soul while Frampt was actually the traitor who wants to trick the chosen undead and renew the fire era to collect pigmy's dark soul on the bondfires.

Who would waste 30 humanity just like that? Without reading a guide? That's right..
nobody

I wasted about 20 humanity on the Chaos Servant covenant and I've never used a guide.

I just don't like guides or wikis. I figured something would eventually happen since there was an option to give humanity. Besides ranking up, nothing did. :(

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I beat Ornstein and Smough's dumb asses last night. What a boss fight.

I had a ton of trouble with them, trying to dodge every attack. But this was a huge mistake. My character has great stamina and a good shield. I play the game with blocks, not dodges. So when I started to play like I always did, it clicked and I destroyed them both with like 6 flasks to go.

So happy when I finally downed Smough's fat armored ass.

The first time I tried to play this game I stalled out in the Undead Berg. Now? If the game finishes strong (post O&S) it could be one of my favorite games.

My one regret is using Solaire to help beat the belfry gargoyles. It feels like a copout now for some reason.

I had a ton of trouble with them, trying to dodge every attack. But this was a huge mistake. My character has great stamina and a good shield. I play the game with blocks, not dodges. So when I started to play like I always did, it clicked and I destroyed them both with like 6 flasks to go.

The first time I tried to play this game I stalled out in the Undead Berg. Now? If the game finishes strong (post O&S) it could be one of my favorite games.

My one regret is using Solaire to help beat the belfry gargoyles. It feels like a copout now for some reason.

Same story as me - undead burg a year ago, then just beat o and s.

My one stroke of awesome was beating the belfry gargoyles single handed first try. Only boss that's happened with so far.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Same story as me - undead burg a year ago, then just beat o and s.

My one stroke of awesome was beating the belfry gargoyles single handed first try. Only boss that's happened with so far.

I destroyed Capra demon first try. Belfry gargoyles gave me a lot of trouble and then were completely inconsequential with Solaire.

Uff duh

Banned
So i'm trying to get in to this. The problem I'm having is where to go? All the enemies kill me so quick I don't know what path to take. Any novice pointers would help me a lot. Its like being under leveled with nothing to grind. I just got to the first bonfire you can level at up or down witch way to go?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If you have reached Firelink Shrine, you will find a crestfallen man who no doubt laughs at the state of your humanity...though his will is broken, the words he speaks are true. Two bells must you ring to prove your worth.

Up the cliff in the distance lies the path to the first. It leads toward the scattered remnants of civilization known as the Undead Burgh.

Uff duh

Banned
If you have reached Firelink Shrine, you will find a crestfallen man who no doubt laughs at the state of your humanity...though his will is broken, the words he speaks are true. Two bells must you ring to prove your worth.

Up the cliff in the distance lies the path to the first. It leads toward the scattered remnants of civilization known as the Undead Burgh.

Cool thanks! Was making good progress in the Undead Burgh, then went down this long spiral staircase and splat crushed by a knight... lol. This is gonna be fun.

Toxi

Banned
well, finished Lost Izalith

SUNBRO, NOOOOOOOOOO
He found his sun. :(
BEAT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally had someone help me coop and not attack Smough first, plus I summoned Solaire. Ornstein went down fairly easily, and after Solaire died the two of us tag teamed the crap out of Smough. WOW. What a feeling. Unbelievable.

YOU DEFEATED

Awesome to hear.

tumblr_me0arq3br01rgqnb9o1_500.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hey I put all the thingies into the underground thingy and the other thing opened up, is that basically the end of the game down those stairs? or is there more after that?

Toxi

Banned
hey I put all the thingies into the underground thingy and the other thing opened up, is that basically the end of the game down those stairs? or is there more after that?
Have you found the DLC area?

That is the end of the game down there, so if you have anything else you want to do or explore, you should probably do it before you fight the final boss.

Mistel

Banned
Both are lying, the darkwraith snake wants to end the age of fire and destroy gwyn era to give power to the humans, possibly to control them and gather pigmy's dark soul while Frampt was actually the traitor who wants to trick the chosen undead and renew the fire era to collect pigmy's dark soul on the bondfires.
Well that went straight over my head then I didn't really focus on the plot. So how is he a traitor then?

NinjaBoiX

My mate playing it at the minute says the story and the way it's told are two of his favourite things about this game. I just didn't have the patience to listen to all these little snatches of dialogue then piece it all together. I realised about an hour in that it wouldn't interest me and just hammered "skip" whenever I had the chance, lol.

I need a story handed to me if I'm honest.

Finally playing through this game, having an absolute freaking blast.

Question: Do most people use a walkthrough while playing through this game for the first time? I have been using one and I feel a bit cheap...but I also feel like I would wonder around aimlessly getting my ass kicked if I wasn't using it.

NinjaBoiX

Conor, I use DS wikia and wikidot, this thread, EpicNameBro videos and my mates extensive knowledge at every step as reference for this game. I think I would've found it a hugely frustrating, bewilderingly opaque experience otherwise.

Toxi

Banned
Well that went straight over my head then I didn't really focus on the plot. So how is he a traitor then?
Kaathe claims Frampt betrayed the Furtive Pygmy's "cause". The Furtive Pygmy was the ancestor of humankind, which is why they're so much smaller than the gods. When Gwyn, Nito, and the Witch of Izalith took on their bright lord souls, the Pygmy took a dark soul that would grow stronger as the others faded with the first flame. His dark soul was distributed among his descendants in the form of "Humanity." Kaathe claims he wants to see the Age of Fire (aka the Age of the Gods) die and the Age of Dark (aka the Age of Man) arrive, and so he leads a covenant dedicated to ending the age of fire and gathering Humanity at any cost. Unfortunately, Kaathe's one of those characters whose allegiance seems to bring nothing but misfortune; his advice led to the Four Kings going so mad with power that the gods flooded New Londo Ruins.

Frampt instead allied with Lord Gwyn's son Gwyndolin to manipulate the human undead into rekindling the flame of Anor Londo. First, they spread a prophecy that a chosen undead was destined to ring both bells of awakening. This idea motivated tons of undead to head out and try to ring the bells. When both bells are rung, two things happen: Frampt wakes up at Firelink Shrine to deliver the news that the undead who rang the bells is "the chosen one" who will link the fire (without actually telling said undead what that entails), while the giants open the gate to Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo. Of course, a strong undead would be needed to replace Gwyn as fuel for the First Flame, so Frampt and Gwyndolin provide extra challenges like Sen's Fortress to test the "chosen" undead's mettle. After the final challenge against Ornstein and Smough, the undead meets the lovely lady Gwynevere and receives the Lordvessel and the quest to unlock the Kiln. What the princess doesn't tell you is that she's an illusion, a reassuring image made by Gwyndolin to sell you on linking the fire.

So yeah, both snakes are probably dicks. Interestingly, both Frampt and Kaathe are present in the Dark Lord ending, so some people think they were playing both sides.

kionedrik

Kaathe claims Frampt betrayed the Furtive Pygmy's "cause". The Furtive Pygmy was the ancestor of humankind, which is why they're so much smaller than the gods. When Gwyn, Nito, and the Witch of Izalith took on their bright lord souls, the Pygmy took a dark soul that would grow stronger as the others faded with the first flame. His dark soul was distributed among his descendants in the form of "Humanity." Kaathe claims he wants to see the Age of Fire (aka the Age of the Gods) die and the Age of Dark (aka the Age of Man) arrive, and so he leads a covenant dedicated to ending the age of fire and gathering Humanity at any cost. Unfortunately, Kaathe's one of those characters whose allegiance seems to bring nothing but misfortune; his advice led to the Four Kings going so mad with power that the gods flooded New Londo Ruins.

Frampt instead allied with Lord Gwyn's son Gwyndolin to manipulate the human undead into rekindling the flame of Anor Londo. First, they spread a prophecy that a chosen undead was destined to ring both bells of awakening. This idea motivated tons of undead to head out and try to ring the bells. When both bells are rung, two things happen: Frampt wakes up at Firelink Shrine to deliver the news that the undead who rang the bells is "the chosen one" who will link the fire (without actually telling said undead what that entails), while the giants open the gate to Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo. Of course, a strong undead would be needed to replace Gwyn as fuel for the First Flame, so Frampt and Gwyndolin provide extra challenges like Sen's Fortress to test the "chosen" undead's mettle. After the final challenge against Ornstein and Smough, the undead meets the lovely lady Gwynevere and receives the Lordvessel and the quest to unlock the Kiln. What the princess doesn't tell you is that she's an illusion, a reassuring image made by Gwyndolin to sell you on linking the fire.

So yeah, both snakes are probably dicks. Interestingly, both Frampt and Kaathe are present in the Dark Lord ending, so some people think they were playing both sides.

Who tells you the it was Kaathe that led the Four Kings to ruin? I never found that dialogue. We know that it was him that led to the downfall of Oolacile by suggesting that it's inhabitants would mess around the remains of Manus, the primeaval man, in order to recover his humanity. That led to the abyss being unlocked and spreading, consuming the souls and humanity of the city and corrupting Artorias who came to stop all that madness. I always thought the abyss kept spreading and consumed New Londo next, which led to the three Seal Keepers to flood the city, killing all the civillians in order to contain the abyss and the darkwraiths (and the four kings that were corrupted meanwhile).

Both snakes are liars, or only speak half truths, but I still think Kaathe is the less of two evils. Frampt has no desire to help you and only wants to fuel the flames with your humanity. He's next to Kaathe in the Dark Lord ending because he realises the gods have lost and keeping his alliance with them would "kill" him and his plans.

I also find interesting how they present themselves. Frampt presents as Kingseeker while Kaathe as Darkstalker.

NinjaBoiX

I'm catching up on this stuff out of interest as it's been condensed to a few paragraphs.

Who are these snakes of which you speak? Is Frampt a "snake"?

Nordicus

Question: Do most people use a walkthrough while playing through this game for the first time? I have been using one and I feel a bit cheap...but I also feel like I would wonder around aimlessly getting my ass kicked if I wasn't using it.
I like having exploration in my games, so I played both Demon's and Dark Souls largely without a guide. I'd look at a walkthrough to either check mechanics or if a boss managed to kill me 20+ times

Who are these snakes of which you speak? Is Frampt a "snake"?
Yes

Mistel

Banned
It's really interesting that there's all this stuff I never picked up on. I just got hit on by a guy who really likes the sun...

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Who tells you the it was Kaathe that led the Four Kings to ruin? I never found that dialogue. We know that it was him that led to the downfall of Oolacile by suggesting that it's inhabitants would mess around the remains of Manus, the primeaval man, in order to recover his humanity. That led to the abyss being unlocked and spreading, consuming the souls and humanity of the city and corrupting Artorias who came to stop all that madness. I always thought the abyss kept spreading and consumed New Londo next, which led to the three Seal Keepers to flood the city, killing all the civillians in order to contain the abyss and the darkwraiths (and the four kings that were corrupted meanwhile).

Dark Hand
item description, it clearly mentions that
Kaathe is responsible for the Darkwraith activities

Also
the NPC who keeps the key to drain the lower portion of New Londo, explicitly mentions he is been given the responsibility to watch over the masters of the Darkwraiths 'Four Kings' and there are Darkwraiths present in the Abyss. So that would indirectly place Kaathe the root cause of the current state in New Londo and the fate of the 'Four Kings'

Good to know some people use strategy guides as well :) Seems way too hardcore for me to try playing without at this point. Hell, I'm still getting my ass kicked occasionally. Just had to grind 14k souls (level 28) because I accidentally hit the Blacksmith just ONE time and he got hostile. Oh well, it was fun.

Been playing this game for like 5 of the last 6 hours. Just incredible

NinjaBoiX

Ooh shit, which blacksmith did you hit? I guess Andre where you are in the game, that's not such a big deal.

Don't hit Vamos though! He can make you some great stuff.

I just got in the habit of unequipping any weapons before talking to NPC's, just to be safe.

Ooh shit, which blacksmith did you hit? I guess Andre where you are in the game, that's not such a big deal.

Don't hit Vamos though! He can make you some great stuff.

I just got in the habit of unequipping any weapons before talking to NPC's, just to be safe.

I should really start doing that. And yeah, it was Andre at the Undead Parish location. 14k souls seemed well worth it to pay off, but I don't really know his significance later in the game

NinjaBoiX

Wait, you can pay to de-agro NPC's?

Where and how?

Edit: of sorry, I guess you mean you got 14k souls when he died. He isn't hugely significant, he's just one of the easiest smiths to get to at the start of the game. Vamos is accessible right from the off to I suppose.

Arjen

Wait, you can pay to de-agro NPC's?

Where and how?

Edit: of sorry, I guess you mean you got 14k souls when he died. He isn't hugely significant, he's just one of the easiest smiths to get to at the start of the game. Vamos is accessible right from the off to I suppose.

Creepy guy in the Gargoyle belltower can absolve your sins which de-agros NPCs
Andre is pretty importants, he's the only one that can get you to +15.

rugioh

Banned

I only look at guides if I'm stuck, or if I beat an area and I want to see if I missed any goodies. Or you could always ask here and someone will help you out.

Uff duh

Banned
Is there a resource that covers leveling with out having story spoilers or walk thous? Just want to get an idea on what my options are with out ruining the game.

Mistel

Banned
Is there a resource that covers leveling with out having story spoilers or walk thous? Just want to get an idea on what my options are with out ruining the game.
I don't know of one but where here to help you if like? Generally speaking level up vitality, endurance, strength and dexterity.

Avoid resistance as it is a waste. You can also put points into faith if you want to use miracles.

NinjaBoiX

I'm not sure if there is a guide as such, but there are some general rules of thumb:

By and large you can ignore some of the stats. You really want to focus on endurance first and foremost, strength and/or dexterity (depending on if you prefer heavy or fast weapons) and maybe intelligence and/or faith (if you want to cast spells or miracles).

Try and put as little on vitality as you can get away with, levelling is better spent elsewhere. Ignore resistance altogether. Attunement grants you extra spell slots so if you are going to use a lot of magic that could be worthwhile.

So in short: endurance first, then str/dex, maybe a bit on int/faith, vitality if you feel you need it.

Top Bottom