• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Uff duh

Banned
I'm not sure if there is a guide as such, but there are some general rules of thumb:

By and large you can ignore some of the stats. You really want to focus on endurance first and foremost, strength and/or dexterity (depending on if you prefer heavy or fast weapons) and maybe intelligence and/or faith (if you want to cast spells or miracles).

Try and put as little on vitality as you can get away with, levelling is better spent elsewhere. Ignore resistance altogether. Attunement grants you extra spell slots so if you are going to use a lot of magic that could be worthwhile.

So in short: endurance first, then str/dex, maybe a bit on int/faith, vitality if you feel you need it.

Sweet it looks like im on the right track. Endurance is what I have spent the most on, and str a little nothing else yet. Thanks for the Info.

kionedrik

Regarding Kaathe, he says this:

"They failed me, every last one of them. They were strong, but saw not the truth... I am certain that you will prove different."
Who is he talking about? Manus? Four Kings? The inhabitants of Oolacile and/or New Londo? Any theories regarding this?
Also what is "the truth" he talks about? I think his goal is to reunite the Dark Soul, hence creating an army of beings capable of stealing humanity, but what he expects to gain from that still eludes me.

Arjen

Regarding Kaathe, he says this:

"They failed me, every last one of them. They were strong, but saw not the truth... I am certain that you will prove different."
Who is he talking about? Manus? Four Kings? The inhabitants of Oolacile and/or New Londo? Any theories regarding this?
Also what is "the truth" he talks about? I think his goal is to reunite the Dark Soul, hence creating an army of beings capable of stealing humanity, but what he expects to gain from that still eludes me.

My bet is other 'chosen ones' other undead that went on the same pilgramige as you.

Ferr986

Who tells you the it was Kaathe that led the Four Kings to ruin? I never found that dialogue. We know that it was him that led to the downfall of Oolacile by suggesting that it's inhabitants would mess around the remains of Manus, the primeaval man, in order to recover his humanity. That led to the abyss being unlocked and spreading, consuming the souls and humanity of the city and corrupting Artorias who came to stop all that madness. I always thought the abyss kept spreading and consumed New Londo next, which led to the three Seal Keepers to flood the city, killing all the civillians in order to contain the abyss and the darkwraiths (and the four kings that were corrupted meanwhile).

Both snakes are liars, or only speak half truths, but I still think Kaathe is the less of two evils. Frampt has no desire to help you and only wants to fuel the flames with your humanity. He's next to Kaathe in the Dark Lord ending because he realises the gods have lost and keeping his alliance with them would "kill" him and his plans.

I also find interesting how they present themselves. Frampt presents as Kingseeker while Kaathe as Darkstalker.

IMO Kathee is the worst of the two snakes. He just want the Abyss to spread, thats why he fooled people of Olacile to awake Manus, and also fools the choosen undead to become the new Dark Lord. Thats just my assuption but becoming the Dark Lord IMO will end up in being a new Manus, and spread Abyss all over the world, killing all life.

It sucks that, by link the fire against, the world is still ruled by the gods, but atleast regular people can have a peaceaful life in a living world.
I cant trust someone who says that he wants to see the Age of man rise yet he fools them to spread the Abyss that kills them/turns them to mere mindless monsters.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
About Kaathe/Dark Lord Ending Spoilers:

How do we know it was Kaathe that tricked the people of Oolacile? There are about 8 Primordial Snakes that all bow to you in the Dark Lord Ending... it could've been anyone of them.

Just because Kaathe is ostensibly attached to the Abyss doesn't mean it was definitely him. I think it's rather telling that both Kaathe and Frampt end up serving you in the Dark Lord Ending.

Ferr986

How do we know it was Kaathe that tricked the people of Oolacile? There are about 8 Primordial Snakes that all bow to you in the Dark Lord Ending... it could've been anyone of them.

Just because Kaathe is ostensibly attached to the Abyss doesn't mean it was definitely him. I think it's rather telling that both Kaathe and Frampt end up serving you in the Dark Lord Ending.

Well
Its true that I dont remember anyone saying it was Kaathe. Everyone assumes its him because Kaathe is the one in the Abyss and the one interacting with humans. The other snakes are nowhere to be found till the Dark Lord ending. Sure it could de another one, but with the info we have in the game the most logical answer should be Kaathe. Its something that probably will never have an exact answer.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well
Its true that I dont remember anyone saying it was Kaathe. Everyone assumes its him because Kaathe is the one in the Abyss and the one interacting with humans. The other snakes are nowhere to be found till the Dark Lord ending. Sure it could de another one, but with the info we have in the game the most logical answer should be Kaathe. Its something that probably will never have an exact answer.

The main thing I took away from the Dark Lord Ending is that Frampt and Kaathe work together. I think they all do. Hell, they may all be the weird head tentacles of much larger, weirder beast!

Mistel

Banned
The main thing I took away from the Dark Lord Ending is that Frampt and Kaathe work together. I think they all do. Hell, they may all be the weird head tentacles of much larger, weirder beast!
Maybe there a weird huge hydra? So getting myself barbecued was a bad thing? Oh well.

kionedrik

You can go even further than that. What are they and where did they come from. In the beginning there were dragons, then came the great souls, the war and the age of fire. Where in this timeline do they fit? Being "primordial" they are implied to be very old.

Also,
the real evil is the undead curse that began because Gwyn refused to let the age of fire end. So, although humans are able to live their merry lives in this age, it is bad to keep it going, that's why I think Kaathe, is the lesser of two evils.

Ferr986

Arent serpents
imperfect dragons? Thats what the description of the Covetous ring says

Also, the real evil is the undead curse that began because Gwyn refused to let the age of fire end. So, although humans are able to live their merry lives in this age, it is bad to keep it going, that's why I think Kaathe, is the lesser of two evils.

True, but its not worse that spread Abyss like Kaathe tried in Olaacile, killing everyone. I think humans are fucked either way lol

Chitown B

is there a canon reason for NG+, etc? When the game starts over it just starts exactly the same as NG, except you have your armor and all your stuff.

btw, just beat Capra on NG+. Forgot how much I hated that fight. He's not hard, but the dogs just block the stairway and the camera is awful.

YAHOOO!!!! Finally beat O&S last night! This is my second time getting up to this point in the game. First time I got stuck at this boss fight with an under leveled character and no humanity, roughly 50 hours into the game. I started the whole damn thing over, rolled a new Intelligence Pyromancer build and made it back to that boss in roughly 30 hours. After countless tries, and using up most of the humanities I accumulated up until that point, I did it (with the help of Solaire)! I actually had another player try to give me a hand, but I was getting crushed by Smough while buddy was wailing away on Orenstein, so I settled on just relying on Solaire, and we did it! What an epic moment.

The key for me was using those ranged attacks. I had Fire Balls, Fire Orbs and Great Soul Spears (?) and really it was the Soul Spears at the end that took down Smough's second form. I just stayed on one side of a column and he kept trying to rush me through it, but I just fired off 20 spears and it took almost 50% of his health, so between the Pyromancy and a few choice hits with my enchanted battle axe I defeated him. Never felt so good about taking down a boss before. So glad I stuck with it. Can't wait to see what the rest of the game has in store.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

The ending in Dark Souls always got me, both the endings result in the player starting the game in NG+'s. As if the character was warped back through one time and dimension to another, restarting the journey.

It would have been nice if the Dark Lord Ending actually stopped the cycle of NG+'s.

As resting at the bonfires respawn enemies, Lighting the Final Bonfire(Ending) can be considered/interpreted to respawn bosses/everything which had happened to this point to move the player character to restart the journey again. Repeating the circle...but since the final bonfire was lit multiple times, the entities in the sequential playthroughs grew stronger with each re-lighting of the final bonfire.

Toxi

Banned
Who tells you the it was Kaathe that led the Four Kings to ruin? I never found that dialogue. We know that it was him that led to the downfall of Oolacile by suggesting that it's inhabitants would mess around the remains of Manus, the primeaval man, in order to recover his humanity. That led to the abyss being unlocked and spreading, consuming the souls and humanity of the city and corrupting Artorias who came to stop all that madness. I always thought the abyss kept spreading and consumed New Londo next, which led to the three Seal Keepers to flood the city, killing all the civillians in order to contain the abyss and the darkwraiths (and the four kings that were corrupted meanwhile).

Both snakes are liars, or only speak half truths, but I still think Kaathe is the less of two evils. Frampt has no desire to help you and only wants to fuel the flames with your humanity. He's next to Kaathe in the Dark Lord ending because he realises the gods have lost and keeping his alliance with them would "kill" him and his plans.

I also find interesting how they present themselves. Frampt presents as Kingseeker while Kaathe as Darkstalker.
From the Mask of the Sealer...

Mask of the sorcerers who flooded New Londo
to seal away the Darkwraiths, and the
Four Kings who descended into Dark.

And yeah, both
Kaathe and Frampt are manipulative and probably untrustworthy. Frampt is a liar, while Kaathe tells you only a bit of the truth; he never mentions what happened in Oolacile.
YAHOOO!!!! Finally beat O&S last night! This is my second time getting up to this point in the game. First time I got stuck at this boss fight with an under leveled character and no humanity, roughly 50 hours into the game. I started the whole damn thing over, rolled a new Intelligence Pyromancer build and made it back to that boss in roughly 30 hours. After countless tries, and using up most of the humanities I accumulated up until that point, I did it (with the help of Solaire)! I actually had another player try to give me a hand, but I was getting crushed by Smough while buddy was wailing away on Orenstein, so I settled on just relying on Solaire, and we did it! What an epic moment.

The key for me was using those ranged attacks. I had Fire Balls, Fire Orbs and Great Soul Spears (?) and really it was the Soul Spears at the end that took down Smough's second form. I just stayed on one side of a column and he kept trying to rush me through it, but I just fired off 20 spears and it took almost 50% of his health, so between the Pyromancy and a few choice hits with my enchanted battle axe I defeated him. Never felt so good about taking down a boss before. So glad I stuck with it. Can't wait to see what the rest of the game has in store.
Great job! Glad to see the Int build's working out.

My bet is other 'chosen ones' other undead that went on the same pilgramige as you.

You can see more chosen ones on New Londo already hollow, some chosen ones still inside their cages in the prision, more chosen ones on anor londo, and some of them already put the lordvessel but failed, you are not unique

There is no actual confirmation of who was the serpent who tricket ooalice there is some hint in DSII but I still dont get in that part.

Pretus can be killed after you rescue Reah from the catacombs, if you are on the white covenant there is more history in that quest.

I wouldn't kill him until Rhea has left the Parish (after you buy her stuff) otherwise she will aggro. Unless you're not bothered about that, then might as well slay them both! lol

Chitown B

I wouldn't kill him until Rhea has left the Parish (after you buy her stuff) otherwise she will aggro. Unless you're not bothered about that, then might as well slay them both! lol

oh. I thought you were supposed to kill him after saving her, that way he couldn't kill her. Apparently then, the only way to buy her stuff is to warp directly to the sunlight altar area right after ToG. I only need her for the spells for the achieve.

oh. I thought you were supposed to kill him after saving her, that way he couldn't kill her. Apparently then, the only way to buy her stuff is to warp directly to the sunlight altar area right after ToG. I only need her for the spells for the achieve.

Actually after rescue her, she will move to the church (you can save and quit to force it), if you kill Nito then Petrus can now kill her while you move and clear more areas or bosses.

I thought Lautrec tells you that Petrus is going to kill Reah?

Petrus and patches hinted he is not a good person so its kinda ironic and depressing at the same time how much corrupted is the way of white.

Petrus is
a Darkwraith or a hostile invader

kionedrik

Petrus and patches hinted he is not a good person so its kinda ironic and depressing at the same time how much corrupted is the way of white.

Petrus is
a Darkwraith or a hostile invader

If you have sinned and go talk to Oswald, he will say that you are filled with sin like Petrus, or something along those lines.

What makes you come to that conclusion about Petrus?
He is just a WoW cleric that turns his back to his companions and then kills her to erase every evidence of it.

What makes you come to that conclusion about Petrus?
He is just a WoW cleric that turns his back to his companions and then kills her to erase every evidence of it.

Huh no he wants her death because she was naive and believed she can restore the humans form the curse, she didnt realize they went send to their death.

He was a bad person from the start but joined the way of white, patches tells you about that later. Also
There are some chest hidden just at his back where you can find a cracked red orb amount his inventory, only darkwraiths or invaders can use the orbs.

No, killing Petrus while Rhea is at the Parish should not aggro her.
Hmmm, not sure. It's been a while since I've done it, but I know I've had her aggro in Firelink and the Parish.

He was a bad person from the start but joined the way of white, patches tells you about that later. Also
There are some chest hidden just at his back where you can find a cracked red orb amount his inventory, only darkwraiths or invaders can use the orbs.
That's a good point actually - all that stuff is Faith stuff except for the orbs, he has Morning Star, talisman and the Lloyds Talismans too. Good call.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ooh shit, which blacksmith did you hit? I guess Andre where you are in the game, that's not such a big deal.

Don't hit Vamos though! He can make you some great stuff.
The hell? You got it backwards. Andre is way more important than Vamos. Andre is the most important blacksmith unless you're a mage or staying at super low level.

There are some chest hidden just at his back where you can find a cracked red orb amount his inventory, only darkwraiths or invaders can use the orbs
Untrue in DkS1 at least. Non-covenanters can use the cracked orbs.

kionedrik

Huh no he wants her death because she was naive and believed she can restore the humans form the curse, she didnt realize they went send to their death.

Her pilgrimage is to recover the rite of kindling from Pinwheel.

I knew I heard him say something suspicious before, but didn't quite remember what or how I did it, so I cheated and checked the wiki.

Condition: Reah must have left Firelink,
then talk with Lautrec and pay for information

He says:
In the depths of the Catacombs, M'lady slipped off the giant's coffin and into a hole. Her two companions are no longer human; and the lass weeps in solitude. Right now, you could do as you please with her. The poor little purebred is entirely helpless. Keh heh heh heh…

After you rescue her:
…You rescued M'lady? Well, a pity that is, for it will amount to nothing. For the little madam is not worth her salt without her family name. Keh heh heh heh…

This proves he is responsible for her felling down the hole and then her death in the parish.

As for Patches, he talks trash about Petrus because he is a cleric.

You make a good point about the cleric equipment and the cracked red orbs found behind him, but you are near a church and New Londo (Darkwraith territory) is just downstairs.
There's also another possibility: Anastacia. If you look closely the Dingy set and the Maiden set (worn by Reah) are the same, except one is worn which points to being much older then the other. Perhaps she is impure because of what she did. She is undead and stealing humanity to avoid going hollow seems reasonable.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, I forgot that you needed Andre for high level ascension. I still need another titanite slab for my Iaito.
word. Andre is the only one that can ascend regular weapons.
Oh right, any standard ascension at all requires Andre? Bloody hell, he's basically the most important character in the game.

I just had it in my head that Vamos and the giant could too.

Toxi

Banned
It's kinda funny how Patches' simple dislike of religion in Demon's Souls turned into homicidal rage against clerics. Guy must have really had a falling out.

Untrue in DkS1 at least. Non-covenanters can use the cracked orbs.

Yes, thats what i said a hostile invader too because is a red orb not a blue one.

Her pilgrimage is to recover the rite of kindling from Pinwheel.

Thats a lie (for her), since she becomes undead they way of white wouldnt allow cursed people being in the church and more if it was someone from a high family status like Reah, so they send them to look for the kindly stuff, you can see more corpses on the pit who have cleric stuff too

The church knew she wont make it since Leeroy failed, the most powerfull warrior of the way of white.

Leeroy is more powerful than Havel?

I dunno, Havel was hollow went you met him while Leeroy was still alive,
asking for help on the first boss then something happened and he invaded you, maybe he was becoming hollow in an effort to gain humanity and failed so he went to face Nito and died.

Halo, oh wait

kionedrik

Leeroy didn't fail to get the right of kindling, you just get there first, that's why you can summon him. Also he never died nor went hollow during his expeditions,
and the fact that you get invaded is proof of that. The hollows don't invade (like the crestfallen warrior or Laurentius).

My theories on why he invades you are:
  • The Way of White is a covenant aligned with the gods and he is protecting a Lord Soul
  • Something regarding the life and death cycle, and how one cannot exist without the other, so he tries to stop you from killing the Lord of Death to keep the significance of his covenant/existence

Leeroy didn't fail to get the right of kindling, you just get there first, that's why you can summon him. Also he never died nor went hollow during his expeditions,
and the fact that you get invaded is proof of that. The hollows don't invade (like the crestfallen warrior or Laurentius).

My theories on why he invades you are:
  • The Way of White is a covenant aligned with the gods and he is protecting a Lord Soul
  • Something regarding the life and death cycle, and how one cannot exist without the other, so he tries to stop you from killing the Lord of Death to keep the significance of his covenant/existence

Hollowing is gradual overtime so you have to consume humanity to stay sane Leeroy ran out of humanity, he was forced to invaded you to gain your humanity because the red orbs grants you humanity if you defeat the host world. He went desesperate and faced Nito but died.

You can only see his corpse if you defeat him on the invasion so he was alive in that time lapse.

Mistel

Banned
I knew Leeroy kicked the bucket I've been walking around in his stuff, wait that means I'm a grave robber too...

So he's killed by nito when he has a hammer that does some force attack thing when two handed and a shield that heals him, (I assume because of time just well being weird Sanctus actually worked really well at some point) He's not a very effective knight thingy.

Kieli

The only place I felt was really drab (after Anor Londo) was Demon Ruins. Retreading old bosses as enemies is never fun. It was also visually uninteresting, aside from the view of the roots of the Arch tree.

The lava place with the dragon butts was also pretty bad. Otherwise, I enjoyed the Tomb of Giants, Duke's, Crystal Cave, etc...

Nordicus

Except you forget this

Long ago, the Way of the White produced its
first Undead, a paladin in golden armor.

With the legendary treasures Grant and
Sanctus, Leeroy set out for Lordran,
Land of the Gods, in the first Undead
mission of the Way of White.

So Rhea and her undead bodyguards go into the Catacombs much after Leeroy, and on top of that there's Petrus, who has been sitting in Firelink Shrine waiting for his company's arrival for who knows how long.

So if Leeroy succeeded, 1) the Paladin Set the item description is a lie, 2) Way of the White higher ups are completely lying in the 3 cleric's faces and they're completely buying it, because Leeroy managed to get the rite of kindling.

Granted, the latter is somewhat plausible.

So...I've cleared the Depths. Do I have to go into Blighttown from that entrance or are there alternate areas I can progress to right now?

There's the back entrance through the Valley of Drakes from Firelink, but these big club dudes are pretty tough besides all the poison shit of instant death. And I have no clue where a Blighttown bonfire would be.

Halp.

Toxi

Banned
So...I've cleared the Depths. Do I have to go into Blighttown from that entrance or are there alternate areas I can progress to right now?

There's the back entrance through the Valley of Drakes from Firelink, but these big club dudes are pretty tough besides all the poison shit of instant death. And I have no clue where a Blighttown bonfire would be.

Halp.
If you go through the back entrance, it's a really short trip down to the bonfire; it's to the left of the place you reach the ground, away from the hill with the boulder throwing giants.

Except you forget this

Long ago, the Way of the White produced its
first Undead, a paladin in golden armor.

With the legendary treasures Grant and
Sanctus, Leeroy set out for Lordran,
Land of the Gods, in the first Undead
mission of the Way of White.

So Rhea and her undead bodyguards go into the Catacombs much after Leeroy, and on top of that there's Petrus, who has been sitting in Firelink Shrine waiting for his company's arrival for who knows how long.

So if Leeroy succeeded, 1) the Paladin Set the item description is a lie, 2) Way of the White higher ups are completely lying in the 3 cleric's faces and they're completely buying it, because Leeroy managed to get the rite of kindling.

Granted, the latter is somewhat plausible.
As Solaire says, time in Lordran is very mutable. You can summon characters who have been long dead (Beatrice). For all we know, Leeroy never made it and became a guardian of Gravelord Nito long, long before his white phantom aids you.

That moment when your invader falls to his own death thanks to a miscalculated roll.

The best: I think he was a cheater.

Halp.

I just reached Blighttown, is pretty straighforward, just follow the path. Get down the long stairs, keep going (take care of the fat dudes along the way) and a the end, you can go right or you can jump from the ledge in the left where you can grab a katana (is not an easy jump, so maybe you should go right). Every option should led you to the bonfire (you should be able to see from that point).

Halp.

The Depths way is the entrance to Blighttown while the drake valley is actually the exit.

I just beat Ceaseless Discharge and the Four Kings and I still haven't found the Valley of the Drakes. Weird.

You enter the Valley via dark root garden or using the amster key on new londo.

Top Bottom