• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Chitown B

just spent like a half hour trying to figure out how to get across to that wall hugger with the Power Within, from the shortcut side. Finally had to look it up. You have to go from the other side on the bottom. Stupid layout.

just spent like a half hour trying to figure out how to get across to that wall hugger with the Power Within, from the shortcut side. Finally had to look it up. You have to go from the other side on the bottom. Stupid layout.
Yeah, I agree. They totally made it look like you're supposed to just kill the critter from the main side, but I gave up after shooting it with numerous arrows did apparently nothing.

Glad you at least managed to get it!

Chitown B

Yeah, I agree. They totally made it look like you're supposed to just kill the critter from the main side, but I gave up after shooting it with numerous arrows did apparently nothing.

Glad you at least managed to get it!

yeah that thing was a pain in the ass. Not the actual hugger, just getting up there. Now all that's left is Chaos Whip in LI, and getting the Tempest from Quelaana. Then pyro is done.

AlexBasch

Put a sign in front of the Sen's Fortress boss and haven't been summoned yet. (20 minutes)

I think I might be a bit OP for this NG+ round, lol.

Chitown B

Put a sign in front of the Sen's Fortress boss and haven't been summoned yet. (20 minutes)

I think I might be a bit OP for this NG+ round, lol.

I don't remember having any trouble at all with him. Maybe he's not a good boss to summon to.

got back from the 2nd bell to Firelink and..... forgot that the keeper would be gone.

HeelPower

Holyshit...This game is far superior to the sequel its unbelievable...

I am restarting the game now right after finishing 2...

I can't think of a single aspect where 2 outshines 1...like not a single aspect.

AlexBasch

Huh. Yeah, beat him fairly quick but I wanted the summon to enter the Sunbro covenant. Didn't remember that I had 15 on Faith and already had beaten three bosses with other guys, so I checked out and I'm officially a Sunbro.

Guess I'll stay at Anor Londo for a bit trying to kill Anor Londo Bros for a while.

EDIT: Got summoned and the guy tries to kill both Ornstein and Smough at the same time, try to lure one of them so the guy can finish one of them off and decides to kill them both. Result? We get immediately destroyed. Fucking amazing.

HeelPower

The Bonfires, what they were thinking.

World traversal...Combat...Encounter design , boss design, art design, graphics lol

They even added so many little annoying things like that time it takes to enter the white fog gates and open doors...Dumb enemy tracking...

Dark Souls 2 is a good game in its own right but compared to the first it feels like a beta...

kionedrik

Huh. Yeah, beat him fairly quick but I wanted the summon to enter the Sunbro covenant. Didn't remember that I had 15 on Faith and already had beaten three bosses with other guys, so I checked out and I'm officially a Sunbro.

Guess I'll stay at Anor Londo for a bit trying to kill Anor Londo Bros for a while.

EDIT: Got summoned and the guy tries to kill both Ornstein and Smough at the same time, try to lure one of them so the guy can finish one of them off and decides to kill them both. Result? We get immediately destroyed. Fucking amazing.

Nothing shows how stupid some people are like that boss fight. I swear that the brain of the average player stops functioning when they enter that room.

Mistel

Banned
Nothing shows how stupid some people are like that boss fight. I swear that the brain of the average player stops functioning when they enter that room.
Most seem to do fine there's a couple of quirky ones that I've been summoned for, other than that most get gutted by even bigger Ornstein.

kionedrik

Most seem to do fine there's a couple of quirky ones that I've been summoned for, other than that most get gutted by even bigger Ornstein.

I think my balance is ~50% success. I'm not saying that I'm not to blame for dying sometimes, but I've lived some painful moments while summoned in Anor Londo.
I fondly remember one time that I had to fight the 2 solo while the summoner hid in a corner and didn't help once, not even healing me, and when the last one was a couple of hits away from dying he charged in 2H and was insta-killed by a buttslam. I was so pissed off that decided to invade others and can you guess who was the first one I got? :)

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

I happen to do that when I get summoned sometimes, rushing/diving into the fray never gets old to impress the host and it also adds variety to the usual flavor (get summoned = 100% win).

Note: I stacked up 36 humanities with one of the new character(Slvl 18), by being summoned as a 'Way of White' phantom. Its my first time ever in Dark Souls, helping people continuously while I haven't even progressed further into the game
(ie..haven't rung both the bells of awakening)

rugioh

Banned
Holyshit...This game is far superior to the sequel its unbelievable...

I am restarting the game now right after finishing 2...

I can't think of a single aspect where 2 outshines 1...like not a single aspect.

Man I keep hearing this, kind of underwhelming knowing that once I'm done with this game that would have been the high point in the series haha.

Mistel

Banned
I think my balance is ~50% success. I'm not saying that I'm not to blame for dying sometimes, but I've lived some painful moments while summoned in Anor Londo.
I fondly remember one time that I had to fight the 2 solo while the summoner hid in a corner and didn't help once, not even healing me, and when the last one was a couple of hits away from dying he charged in 2H and was insta-killed by a buttslam. I was so pissed off that decided to invade others and can you guess who was the first one I got? :)
It was the first person who didn't help you wasn't it? I think after roughly 24 ish summons for the pair I think I did alright I could solo both by that point.

The host dying was my main issue, most of the time me and solaire would be unharmed after the first died, I can't save the from their fate.

kionedrik

It was the first person who didn't help you wasn't it? I think after roughly 24 ish summons for the pair I think I did alright I could solo both by that point.

The host dying was my main issue, most of the time me and solaire would be unharmed after the first died, I can't save the from their fate.

Not really. Truth be told, I've only started doing co-op on my 4th or 5th char, but I'd been summoned a couple of times before on my earlier chars, for the Gargoiles and Queelag mostly. That one was special for some reason... maybe it was because I had a bad day that day or maybe I was just impressed by how brain-dead s/he was.

I have no problem soloing them, I do it with all my chars, and the healing is a non-factor (when I jolly co-op I always attune an heal and carry humanities), but if you are summoned to help it's reasonable to expect some co-operation from the other player.

Apparently some think 2 is better...It might be better for you as well.

Its a good game.Dont worry.

From what I understant, technically the console version is very underwhelming. Is it possible that's clouding your perception? Perhaps the game will grow on you with in time, afterall we are accustomed to the DS1 "feel".

GRIP

Man I keep hearing this, kind of underwhelming knowing that once I'm done with this game that would have been the high point in the series haha.

DaS2 is an awesome game. Some of the fundamental mechanics feel a little different at first but it doesn't take long to adjust. Really just depends on preference, but the game is every bit as worthy of the "Souls" title as the other games in the series.

One thing that is definitely better about it is that the game keeps getting better as you progress unlike DaS1 where there is a noticeable dip in quality after Anor Londo.

Still not sure if I'm ready to say I like it more than the first game as I'm still on my first playthrough (about 75-80% complete), but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

From what I understant, technically the console version is very underwhelming. Is it possible that's clouding your perception? Perhaps the game will grow on you with in time, afterall we are accustomed to the DS1 "feel".
For me, it's more the changes to the combat. They got it so perfect with DS1, but in DS2 it feels so sluggish and off.

There's still lots of fun exploring to do, it seems bigger too. But the world design and bosses do not strike me to the core as much as DS1. Right now DS2 feels like they tried to meld DaS and DeS together, and I'm not quite sure it worked to the series' benefit. Still loving it though, just not in love with it? DS2 is a friend with benefits, not a LTR!

Overdoziz

Banned
Beat NG+3 :D

Finally found out some ways to make the more annoying parts much less frustrating to deal with. Shooting Ingward from a distance, wearing the Wolf Ring at Four Kings, skipping Capra, using a divine weapon to kill the skeleton buddies of Nito and parrying Gwyn on his second swipe. Makes a playthrough soooo much easier.

Onto NG+4.

Mistel

Banned
Not really. Truth be told, I've only started doing co-op on my 4th or 5th char, but I'd been summoned a couple of times before on my earlier chars, for the Gargoiles and Queelag mostly. That one was special for some reason... maybe it was because I had a bad day that day or maybe I was just impressed by how brain-dead s/he was.

I have no problem soloing them, I do it with all my chars, and the healing is a non-factor (when I jolly co-op I always attune an heal and carry humanities), but if you are summoned to help it's reasonable to expect some co-operation from the other player.
I suppose it is reasonable to expect help I usually have great heal on my spare slot. As it works quite nicely as a support thing for myself I think you need to be a princess guard for Gywnevere's group healing stuff to work. I think I started co-op about Queelag and I've not stopped since, it's nice to explore that side of the game really.

Chitown B

Wait until you kill the Bed of Chaos, then report it to her. She will gift you the Fire Tempest.

yeah I was just asking because I bought all her spells already and then I could get the fire tempest now instead. otherwise it's off to Sen's and Anor Londo first.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If you kill her now, she will drop the Fire Tempest pyromancy. But you'd have to be a hollow to do such a terrible thing...

World traversal...Combat...Encounter design , boss design, art design, graphics lol

They even added so many little annoying things like that time it takes to enter the white fog gates and open doors...Dumb enemy tracking...

Dark Souls 2 is a good game in its own right but compared to the first it feels like a beta...

I loved the design, you are in a place when war destroyed everything like a dark souls version of Hyrule aside from a decaying reign. I feels like a different game.

I'm starting to think no having a long range option (bow) was a bad idea, I think on one of my plathtroughs in Demon I didn't used a bow, but seems even more necessary in Dark (or rather necessary to evade a lot of pain). New Londo and Sen Fortress are pretty brutal without a bow.

I'm starting to think no having a long range option (bow) was a bad idea, I think on one of my plathtroughs in Demon I didn't used a bow, but seems even more necessary in Dark (or rather necessary to evade a lot of pain). New Londo and Sen Fortress are pretty brutal without a bow.

Not necessary, you can aggro the first snake dude with a arrow the rest can be ignored or use a lightning shield and go for a close combat.

In anor londo you have to go close combat too, the catacombs in other part.....fuck those nigromants

Tawpgun

The Bonfires, what they were thinking.

I would have preferred not being able to teleport for a while just to get a sense of the world like in Dark Souls 1.

But if you disabled teleporting in Dark Souls 2 you would be FUUUUCKED. The game is so hard with tons of powerful early on enemies. And you're not as powerful at the start of the game.

If theres one thing Dark Souls 2 excells at its being more challenging than the first. I remember people crying about how casual the health system is in Dark Souls 2. pfffftttt

The Dark Souls 1 Estus Flasks make it seem like Easy Mode compared to DS2.

I haven't gotten too far into DS2, but I have friends that love it a lot more. Says the boss fights are much more intense.

Chitown B

Oh that makes sense he went bonkers in my playthrough and poisoned himself by walking in the marsh.

Yeah he goes to Blighttown after you tell him where you found the pyro spells, and hollows.

Anyone find the framerate in New Londo to be just heinous? Almost worse than Blighttown.

yeah it's bad. I blame it on the lighting. If you look up, it's bright, and you look down, the entire lighting changes. Same as BT.

I would have preferred not being able to teleport for a while just to get a sense of the world like in Dark Souls 1.

But if you disabled teleporting in Dark Souls 2 you would be FUUUUCKED. The game is so hard with tons of powerful early on enemies. And you're not as powerful at the start of the game.

If theres one thing Dark Souls 2 excells at its being more challenging than the first. I remember people crying about how casual the health system is in Dark Souls 2. pfffftttt

The Dark Souls 1 Estus Flasks make it seem like Easy Mode compared to DS2.

I haven't gotten too far into DS2, but I have friends that love it a lot more. Says the boss fights are much more intense.

That the less of the problem, some bonfires
have enemies in the zone
while others are on key zones like blacksmiths, middle of a zone or after clearing a boss which make the homeward item useless.

Lorewise in my progression about the bonfires
I still dont see a firekeeper in any of the areas I were exploring, not even a corpse.

It bugged me a lot.

Not necessary, you can aggro the first snake dude with a arrow the rest can be ignored or use a lightning shield and go for a close combat.

In anor londo you have to go close combat too, the catacombs in other part.....fuck those nigromants

But the point was avoiding using arrows and bows! lol. Is not that I didn't managed (I almost at the end of Anor Londo, although gotta enter the paiting first) but I had a few deaths when with a bow is WAY more easier.

In general terms you really want to use a bow in demon and dark, gotta wait to see in DS2.

I found a bow way more necessary in Demon's than in Dark. In fact I don't recall using a bow more than a handful of times in Dark.

It's probably the reason I rarely ever level my DEX. :/ (Need to start working on that...)

Top Bottom