• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I found a bow way more necessary in Demon's than in Dark. In fact I don't recall using a bow more than a handful of times in Dark.

It's probably the reason I rarely ever level my DEX. :/ (Need to start working on that...)

I'm the guy who runs around with nothing BUT a bow.

I'm really excited for when I can play DS2, I saw that you can actually move around with the bow in that one. So excite.

Chitown B

Buy as many of his arrows before you kill him if you do. He does give you his bow but I forgot to get my one from him.

Pyro spells is that the stuff eggman sells you? After you get an egg on your head.

the pyro spells that are more powerful than his. I believe the egghead ones are some of them.

How exactly do orange soapstone messages work? How does the game decide which ones you see? Why do some of them disappear while others are always there? It doesn't seem to be based on ratings since I see tons of messages with a 0 rating.

Just beat the 4 kings.. surprisingly a far easier fight than expected. Not bad at all, only took a couple of tries. I think I'm nearing the end!

Amakusa

I'm the guy who runs around with nothing BUT a bow.

I'm really excited for when I can play DS2, I saw that you can actually move around with the bow in that one. So excite.

Can't wait for PC release, DS 1 is still keeping my attention, was doing new game ++ and seen my first Red Mob.... to bad he was the big black armored guard this time using a fucking big great sword... he one shot me : (

But what about that Dark Souls 2 hype!!!!!! DANCE PARTY!!

29MFNt2.gif

Althane

So I'm finally making progress in this game. When I returned to it last week, I had just barely ventured to the Undead Parish, and died to the heavy knight in the church there.

I am now working my way through Blighttown. Crushed the vagina-dentata dragon without an issue by myself, so I'm ranking that as the easiest boss fight in the game.

Right now using the Hardened Leather armor, with the Black Knight shield, and a +5 Halberd. Around SL30 or so.

God, this game rocks.

How exactly do orange soapstone messages work? How does the game decide which ones you see? Why do some of them disappear while others are always there? It doesn't seem to be based on ratings since I see tons of messages with a 0 rating.

Signs are random, I rarely see one with 10 rating or above.

Mistel

Banned
Right now using the Hardened Leather armor, with the Black Knight shield, and a +5 Halberd. Around SL30 or so.
That black knight shield is a good shield (fire resistance for Quelaag too) so you should be fine if you like using spears and halberds. If you get a balder or sliver knight one might I suggest swapping it out for it?

Althane

That black knight shield is a good shield (fire resistance for Quelaag too) so you should be fine if you like using spears and halberds. If you get a balder or sliver knight one might I suggest swapping it out for it?

Checked them out on the wiki. Haven't had either of them drop.

What's the thoughts on upgrading? Wait for 'awesome' equipment, or just upgrade what you need at the time? And is upgrading armor a good idea?

Mistel

Banned
Checked them out on the wiki. Haven't had either of them drop.

What's the thoughts on upgrading? Wait for 'awesome' equipment, or just upgrade what you need at the time? And is upgrading armor a good idea?
Upgrading weapons is a good idea say if you like the halberd you would upgrade it to plus 15 on the normal path. As it scales with stats and improves damage. Upgrading armor is always good to if you've found a set you like.

You can get heavy sets with higher poise if you want to tank like the Stone Knight set or Havel's. It depends on what you want to use weapon wise before I can be specific, stats wouldn't hurt too.

Mistel

Banned
finally got to level 32 STR to use the BK Halberd. Oh wait, it's 14 POUNDS. wtf? Still can't use it, since it makes me fatroll.
You think that's heavy you should see some of the strength weapons I use. I mean grant is 24 and dragon tooth is 18. But if you've got the strength to single hand a halberd why not switch to the black knight ultra great sword and lighter armor to suit? Or just use havel's ring and the ring of favor together?

Althane

Upgrading weapons is a good idea say if you like the halberd you would upgrade it to plus 15 on the normal path. As it scales with stats and improves damage. Upgrading armor is always good to if you've found a set you like.

You can get heavy sets with higher poise if you want to tank like the Stone Knight set or Havel's. It depends on what you want to use weapon wise before I can be specific, stats wouldn't hurt too.

I don't know what I really want to end up with. I like being light enough to dodge around, but wearing the thief armor means one sword getting past my shield = chunked.

Seems to me like using a polearm + shield = easymode. Not necessarily the strongest, but it is easy to pull off, and has fairly solid damage.

Bottom of Blighttown is a paaaaaaaaain. Trying to figure out where to go while constantly poisoned. Fun.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If you find things you like just upgrade them as you go. The game is pretty generous with upgrade material, the most costly items are only for special Boss Soul armor and weapon sets. And even those can eventually be purchased iirc.

Mistel

Banned
I don't know what I really want to end up with. I like being light enough to dodge around, but wearing the thief armor means one sword getting past my shield = chunked.

Seems to me like using a polearm + shield = easymode. Not necessarily the strongest, but it is easy to pull off, and has fairly solid damage.

Bottom of Blighttown is a paaaaaaaaain. Trying to figure out where to go while constantly poisoned. Fun.
Have you got the rusted ring? It makes navigating around swamp easier. And you can farm anti poison stuff from darkroot basin and garden.

You can get the shadow set in blight town I think so that might interest you. I did it in elite knight armor till Sens where I mixed it with stone pieces.

Althane

Have you got the rusted ring? It makes navigating around swamp easier. And you can farm anti poison stuff from darkroot basin and garden.

You can get the shadow set in blight town I think so that might interest you. I did it in elite knight armor till Sens where I mixed it with stone pieces.

Looked up how to get the Rusted Iron Ring.

At this point, I don't even feel guilty for looking stuff up. So much to this game...

Althane

Why would that make you feel guilty? There's nothing wrong with helping yourself to accomplish something.

Call me too used to the easier games. I only played Demons Souls briefly, I'm not used to games where there's so little guidance on anything. A throwback to my youth, for sure. I've gotten rusty on that end.

Mistel

Banned
Call me too used to the easier games. I only played Demons Souls briefly, I'm not used to games where there's so little guidance on anything. A throwback to my youth, for sure. I've gotten rusty on that end.
I've not played demons either but once you understand what you're doing you should be fine.

A throwback to your youth? I'm only a little one, I'm 17 so you're probably far older than I.

Althane

I've not played demons either but once you understand what you're doing you should be fine.

A throwback to your youth? I'm only a little one, I'm 17 so you're probably far older than I.

Kids these days! I'm on the other side of college and grad school from you, so call it a console generation or two.

Although now you've reminded me that I was your around your age when I first started going to GAF. Geeze.

Anyways, I'm calling it a night. I've made it to Quelaag's lair, and I don't want to risk blowing too much humanity on keeping the summon up. Other than Valley of the Drakes, what's the best way to get back up to Firelink Shrine? Retracing my steps seems gruesome at this point.

Mistel

Banned
Kids these days! I'm on the other side of college and grad school from you, so call it a console generation or two.

Although now you've reminded me that I was your around your age when I first started going to GAF. Geeze.

Anyways, I'm calling it a night. I've made it to Quelaag's lair, and I don't want to risk blowing too much humanity on keeping the summon up. Other than Valley of the Drakes, what's the best way to get back up to Firelink Shrine? Retracing my steps seems gruesome at this point.
The valley is the fastest way if you have the master key. Otherwise you walk all the way back through. You're going human to place your summon sign? You can do that hollow.

Althane

The valley is the fastest way if you have the master key. Otherwise you walk all the way back through. You're going human to place your summon sign? You can do that hollow.

Nah, to summon the Maneater Mildred. Figure if I'm gonna kill black phantoms, I might as well make use of their summons.

Chitown B

You think that's heavy you should see some of the strength weapons I use. I mean grant is 24 and dragon tooth is 18. But if you've got the strength to single hand a halberd why not switch to the black knight ultra great sword and lighter armor to suit? Or just use havel's ring and the ring of favor together?

I use a +15 Claymore which is a great moveset and pretty powerful, so I'm pretty happy with it. But it's 6 weight, not 14, which is right at what I need to mid-roll. I do have Havel's.....

my equip load is 51.6/115.5 right now

Chitown B

OK, tried to kill Lautrec on NG+ and just get murdered. Guess Firelink is just screwed for the rest of the game.

I'm 91 - can anyone help with beating O&S? (level 72 - 110) I need to kill Smough FIRST. So that's why I'm asking here, so I can make sure the person knows.

x360

Currently smoking in lost izalith. I take back my prior comment - part from the crappy darkroot areas, I've really enjoyed the final stages. Even the tomb of giants. Cystal caves were gorgeous and that boss fight was a blast.

Amakusa

The Co Op play is still pretty strong, was in Steam chat, helped 2 people kill 4 kings, 1 person kill Nito and the same person kill Knight Artorias and Manus.

A fun night

Tw1lDsC.gif

Teknoman

Kinda complained about this in the DS2 thread, but did I miss the Souls meeting where all invaders are now nice guys who only want to pvp someone "honorably" or give people items?

What happened to invaders actually being...you know...invaders?

Also had no idea it was bad sportsmanship to indict someone.

EDIT: And then I see steam forum people complaining about invaders actually acting like bad guys and not bowing or gesturing first. What happened to how things were in Demon's Souls, kill or be kill and all that?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Currently smoking in lost izalith. I take back my prior comment - part from the crappy darkroot areas, I've really enjoyed the final stages. Even the tomb of giants. Cystal caves were gorgeous and that boss fight was a blast.

Tomb of the Giants was awesome, didn't like the Catacombs much, Crystal Caves had terrible geometry, Demons Ruins was pretty cool, Lost Izalith was fun after you get passed all the lava.

I finished the game tonight and immediately started on NG+. I am screaming through, already at Vagina Monster after around 2hours.

Kalnos

Banned
Kinda complained about this in the DS2 thread, but did I miss the Souls meeting where all invaders are now nice guys who only want to pvp someone "honorably" or give people items?

EDIT: And then I see steam forum people complaining about invaders actually acting like bad guys and not bowing or gesturing first. What happened to how things were in Demon's Souls, kill or be kill and all that?

People have been doing the 'honorable duel' thing since Demon's Souls. It's retarded.

Teknoman

People have been doing the 'honorable duel' thing since Demon's Souls. It's retarded.

It really is lame. It honestly defeats the whole purpose of invasion. Also someone got mad at me for indicting them. Thats putting other covenants out of work I assume, so why get mad? It doesnt actively hurt your character.

I dunno, I just had to rant lol.

One dude trash sms me in DSII because I not bowed before a fight, other sms me if I want a weapon or some help, other dude tought I was a NPC and ignore me, curse you invaders!!!.

It really is lame. It honestly defeats the whole purpose of invasion. Also someone got mad at me for indicting them. Thats putting other covenants out of work I assume, so why get mad? It doesnt actively hurt your character.

I dunno, I just had to rant lol.

Maybe they just get really into playing their character, and have a backstory worked out and everything.

Ferr986

I agree with you. Thats why I didnt like the Arena in the DLC. I like invasions for the hide and seek game, trying to screw the invader or the invaded. Its part of the fun of the PvP in this game IMO.

Mistel

Banned
I use a +15 Claymore which is a great moveset and pretty powerful, so I'm pretty happy with it. But it's 6 weight, not 14, which is right at what I need to mid-roll. I do have Havel's.....

my equip load is 51.6/115.5 right now
What are you wearing for armor? But they claymore is nice clean fun I've got a plus 15 one it's very good I did Gwyn with it. Maybe put some points into endurance to raise the equip load?

I just used the separation crystal on invaders made sense to do so.

Do what you want, there are no rules. Fuck "honour", fuck no chugging. It's a game.

Some people also want to get indicted so they get invaded more. Why invade if you don't want to get indicted?

Chitown B

What are you wearing for armor? But they claymore is nice clean fun I've got a plus 15 one it's very good I did Gwyn with it. Maybe put some points into endurance to raise the equip load?

I just used the separation crystal on invaders made sense to do so.

wearing Giant's Armor full set, +5

yeah I beat Gwyn easy with the claymore as well. I was just going to try the BKH.

Mistel

Banned
wearing Giant's Armor full set, +5

yeah I beat Gwyn easy with the claymore as well. I was just going to try the BKH.
Why not try the black iron set at max it is nearly just as good an the giant set or substitute some max steel armor pieces so you're lighter. I mean if you want to use the halberd that badly either change up your armor so it's lighter or stick with fat roll and a greatshield and just tank?

kionedrik

For me it depends on where I invade or get invaded. Oolacile is a common PvP place and I uphold the honor code there. Other than that my other rule of thumb is if the enemy uses magic or not (fuck everyone that uses soulmass in pvp). Everything else is fair fight in my book.

Althane

Beat Quelaag after the third time, just had to get used to her "Imma explode now" pattern.

Ended it with 1 flask use left, so I don't know if I can say it was easy, but... eh.

Got the Iato on the way back up from Blighttown. Gotta put two more points into Dex, but it seems like a fun weapon.

Mistel

Banned
I'm 91 - can anyone help with beating O&S? (level 72 - 110) I need to kill Smough FIRST. So that's why I'm asking here, so I can make sure the person knows.

x360
I could blast through both bells and Sen's and come help you if you desire it so? It will probably take no time at all to catch up now I know where I'm going. I'll just go to blight town first then use the valley of the drakes to get to dark root and go the back way into the parish and I can ring both that way. And be right outside Sens too.

Beat Gwyn. What a road. I started this again a week ago after giving up at the Taurus demon a year ago, in prep for the sequel. Wanted a flavour of it before the sequel arrived. Wound up beating it. What a game. I used to prefer demons souls, but this game has it beat cleanly. What a blast.

Bulk_Rate

Beat Gwyn. What a road. I started this again a week ago after giving up at the Taurus demon a year ago, in prep for the sequel. Wanted a flavour of it before the sequel arrived. Wound up beating it. What a game. I used to prefer demons souls, but this game has it beat cleanly. What a blast.

Props! Did you do the DLC area as well?

I've beaten DS a few times but haven't finished off 100% of the DLC, debating a final run before DS2.

kris.

Banned
HA!!!!!!!!!!

zmpuVDW.jpg

SUCK IT QUELAAG
SUCK IT HARD
THAT TOOK ENTIRELY TOO LONG FOR ME TO FINALLY BEAT
BUT I DID IT
I AM A GOD

Teknoman

For me it depends on where I invade or get invaded. Oolacile is a common PvP place and I uphold the honor code there. Other than that my other rule of thumb is if the enemy uses magic or not (fuck everyone that uses soulmass in pvp). Everything else is fair fight in my book.

Yeah I can understand if its in an area with a covenant associated with it, but if im in the crystalline area and you pop up nearby, i'm going to assume the worse.

Especially if you purposefully wake up one of those...flying things.

On a side note, I really was nervous about those Cthulu-Naga things in the Duke's archives. Even the snakepeople ran from them.

Top Bottom