• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

tragic

Developer
tragic for DmC 2 director!

I like working at Vigil! Even then, it would take quite a few people to live up to the DMC name. Those are big shoes to fill. But I wouldn't mind walking around in them and saying "look, I'm a clown!"

Hopefully the next game is a 4 player game, ala Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1, but retaining DSII's combat systems. Imagine Using each character to help each other out going through the levels? War can still double jump + float, death climbs high, etc.

I love MUA!

The problem is that where I am at right now, the enemies don't survive the combo so I have only done it in parts.

Have someone start a new game and mail you the newb weapons =).

This game's freestyle potential is already more stylish then that. GoW3's strength is mixed mob SP fights.

This touches on what we were trying to achieve... freestyle potential. Let players make decisions on the fly and allow them the freedom to be creative.

There's just not much to do on those flipsaws except to get back down though. So that's why the one combo was just four flipsaws using meteor strike to ground again. And the grab + twin cannon is something I was playing with yet didn't find much to it except what was shown.

One thing I always liked to do was Twin Cannon, Evade Back, Flipkick (or wait split second and standard jump). It's slow looking but it's also pretty stylish. Especially when you mix-and-match. Try doing Twin Cannon into basic attack (either Scythe or Heavy). I put a special chain there that goes into the SECOND Scythe attack instead of the first, and if you use a Secondary, it goes into Crossover. Just something to mix it up a little bit.

I agree that is where the strength of the game is but I like the video because it gets my gears grinding... especially the Soul Splitter part which is the tip of the ice berg for that, the Wrath combos, Redemption cancel and Buckler cancel.

That Soul Splitter stuff was niiiiiice! Can't wait to see more. Love to see some baseball swing volleyaball =O.

Duffyside

Banned
tragic, you really did a great job with the combat in this game. Way better than I ever hoped for. In the first game I got bored with the combat because there were so few moves to do, or so it felt, and in this much larger game I often forget that I even have a second weapon to swing.

It looks like this is indeed a glitch. Go to 18:57 in this video.
The bridge should fall.

EDIT: Here's me staring at the stuck bridge:
dI6m2.jpg

Sooo....can anyone else confirm this? Cause I feel like it's a pretty big deal if this game has a bug that prevents a dungeon from being able to be completed.

Duffyside

Banned
That sucks, dude. All I can offer is that I've had progress-inhibiting bugs too where I had to turn the game off and come back later for them to fix. Yes, it sucks, but I haven't had one where it didn't fix itself after a reset.

At least DSII has awesome checkpoints, especially in dungeon??? Happy face??????

yami4ct

Just finished a little bit ago. Overall, I did love it. The tweaks to the combat and the RPG mechanics really help pad it out. It became clear to me that to sustain the game for as long as it goes, it desperately needed that loot system. The story on the other hand, I have mixed feelings on. I really like what they do with Death's character and his redemption, I just hate that they end it with
the same damn cliffhanger from DS1.
. I really hope they get to make the 4-person co-op game they clearly want to. Especially with loot added, that'd be amazing. It did also leave me with one more question.
Why is Death still alive at the end? Was the required "sacrifice" the Nephilim, or does Death always have to exist to maintain balance? I assume he either sacrificed his brothers or was bumped to the top of the reincarnation list to fulfill his position as part of the balance

One other small problem I had was I felt there were far too many collectables. The completetionist in me wanted to get everything, but there's far too many for that to be anything other than a horrific time sink. I ended up just grabbing the Book of the Dead stuff, but it was really hard to resist searching the entire planet for the stones and stuff. That's more of a personal hangup than any real criticism.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Why is Death still alive at the end? Was the required "sacrifice" the Nephilim, or does Death always have to exist to maintain balance? I assume he either sacrificed his brothers or was bumped to the top of the reincarnation list to fulfill his position as part of the balance

Ending Spoiler:
The same reason War is revived at the end of Darksiders 1. The 7th Seal is broken, thus the Horsemen are called to duty, this time at full power. If they are dead when the call is given, they are revived, plain and simple. "There shall always be four horsemen."

yami4ct

Ending Spoiler:
The same reason War is revived at the end of Darksiders 1. The 7th Seal is broken, thus the Horsemen are called to duty, this time at full power. If they are dead when the call is give, they are revived, plain and simple. "There shall always be four horsemen."

See that helps. I totally forgot anything about the end of DS1 except the cliffhanger. I guess that makes me ask
What's the point of them even asking death to sacrifice himself at the end if they undo it seconds later? Isn't making him choose between humanity and his brothers enough?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
See that helps. I totally forgot anything about the end of DS1 except the cliffhanger. I guess that makes me ask
What's the point of them even asking death to sacrifice himself at the end if they undo it seconds later? Isn't making him choose between humanity and his brothers enough?

Think about it for a second. What he have to do anyways?
Rip his fucking chest open and throw it in. He pretty much fused with it at that point in the story

My gaming habits have come to a crawl so I'm slowly playing this, I did just finish the first dungeon and loved the pacing. Hopefully it stays similar throughout.

BY2K

Membero Americo

There's no guarantee all the seals will ever be broken, they weren't supposed to be until mankind was ready for it. So the horsemen could have been dead for a LOOOONG time.

yami4ct

Think about it for a second. What he have to do anyways?
Rip his fucking chest open and throw it in. He pretty much fused with it at that point in the story

Yep, I'm an idiot. That makes complete sense. And it hammers home their
Death returning life theme that they've built throughout the story.

I think that, even though the story they told was really good, the fact it was a parallel tale made it really fall a bit flat for me. That reveal at the end of DS1 is so good, not capitalizing on it feels like a huge waste. I guess that'll make DS3 if/when they make it all the more sweeter.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Speaking of reveal, I find it funny how (BIG DS1 SPOILER):
Abaddon being the Destroyer is like THE reveal of the game but in DS2 one it's "relocated" as a simple "go there, go there" sidequest.

yami4ct

Speaking of reveal, I find it funny how (BIG DS1 SPOILER):
Abaddon being the Destroyer is like THE reveal of the game but in DS2 one it's "relocated" as a simple "go there, go there" sidequest.

God, I hated that side quest. The fact that all it was was me running between the worlds, hitting a loading screen every time was infuriating. When you finally find out it's about
Abaddon
I was even more angry. You ran me through all that just to tell me something I already knew?

yami4ct

From a design aspect, something I love that the Darksiders games do is the reverse wings on the Demon Lords. I think it gives them a really interesting silhouette. It also helps set them apart from the numerous other gothic style designs seen across all media.

yami4ct

Samael looks fucking boss.

His voice is also pretty badass.

In both games, he gave me the feeling that the only reason I was winning was because he either got cocky or let me win. He looks like he could crush me with his little finger.

Loving this so far, but I have a small issue. does anyone else find the dash/evade move isn't as responsive as it needs to be? Fighting Thane, for example, I would constantly get hit by an attack ever if I evaded as Death just wouldn't move. It's happened more than a few times, so I'm wondering if it's an issue with my controller or it anyone else has also experience this.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Loving this so far, but I have a small issue. does anyone else find the dash/evade move isn't as responsive as it needs to be? Fighting Thane, for example, I would constantly get hit by an attack ever if I evaded as Death just wouldn't move. It's happened more than a few times, so I'm wondering if it's an issue with my controller or it anyone else has also experience this.

Dahbomb will be here shortly to explain in greater detail, but for the time being....

I've noticed this as well. Sometimes, Death can get "stunned" by certain attacks, so evade doesn't work during that period. However, there are other times when i'm almost convinced it is just my controller playing up. I've ordered a new wired one to see if i still have the issue.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I've made it to the point of no return, so I'd like to start doing crucible/arbiter maze runs. The only catch is my gear sucks. The game blessed me with a whopping 3 possessed items, the last of which was 12 levels ago. Any tips on where or how to farm better gear?

I beat the
Soul Arbiter
- third phase was kind of a pain, but Reaper form and destroying that bastard child of the Deposed King right away made that easy.

Finished it last last. As I said way back on Lvl 7, game is disappointing. Didn't really enjoy it that much. It's good, but not great. I'd have preferred if they'd stuck closer to the original. I guess that's where my disappointment lay mostly. The first world is kind of bland and uninteresting, especially the start. After waiting this long for a sequel, I expect something to hit the ground running, but it's all a bit dull. It does get a bit better but the game never really gripped me like the first. The open world parts are decent in size but completely sparse and devoid of anything. Almost feels pointless to traverse. The addition of fast travel again makes this more so. It's also buggy in places, needed that extra polish. The platforming needs some extra love as it's far from perfect and quite frustrating at times. Made obvious in the areas where you have to rush upwards to escape certain dangers. While looting can be quite fun, I also miss the aspect of something really special, say at the end of a dungeon or a secret area, rather than just a random pickup, that may or may not be better than I already have. One thing that annoyed me about the controls was the fact every button was used and was handy bar the fact you had to manually select your equipment such as gun, hook etc. Later in the game the dungeons require these to be used frequently but you can't press a button to select them on the fly. Yet the up button is never used. How about making this select your previous equipment or something?

Oh and what were they thinking on
Earth
. By far the worst part of the game and just a total nasty change up. Hey lets just get rid of everything in the game you've learned thus far and turn it into a crappy
third person shooter.
Awful!

After this, I'm really not bothered if there is another game in the series. If there is, I'd be cautious in seeing what it has to offer, but I wouldn't be losing sleep over the series never existing anymore. That was my love of the sequel. Which is a shame because the first one was such a surprise and therefore why the sequel gave me such much disappointment.

Gbraga

I like working at Vigil! Even then, it would take quite a few people to live up to the DMC name. Those are big shoes to fill. But I wouldn't mind walking around in them and saying "look, I'm a clown!"

Well, what if Vigil was to make DmC 2? :3

Just want to say that I get mad worried whenever I see someone talk about wanting the next Darksiders to be a "pure stylish action" game or a weird co-op title, making the next Darksiders MUA would feel like a massive step backwards. I just want to see Darksiders continue to be a series that implements a huge amount of the things I love in videogames. It really frustrates me to see people calling for certain elements to be stripped out and such.

At the end of the day I guess I just have to trust that whatever Vigil decide to do with Darksiders (if they get to make more) that it'll still be great. I'm just another person with yet another idea of where they'd like to see things go after all.

Still hoping we get to see a Darksiders for each Horseman and then a game that concludes the story while switching between the 4 Horsemen as they work towards a common goal (with any co-op being a separate mode). Though I'm guessing that's a pipe dream.

Still think Darksiders II is kind of incredible.

Got the Soul Splitter last night and wrapped up Sentinal's Gaze dungeon. I really love these extra dungeons it really add to the game. Also finished the bloodless and fire construct side quests, both were fun. On to the City of The Dead.

ShinAmano

So for those curious...Reaper form cannot traverse lava. I am officailly locked out of finishing the Scar. Sweet!

Oh...the bloodless...how do you kill them?

ShinAmano said:
Reaper form cannot traverse lava. I am officailly locked out of finishing the Scar. Sweet!
I had a bit of a glitch happen to me that ported the construct I had set up right near the entrance with a chain crossing to the other side. I left the room and when I came back, the construct had disappeared on me. I thought I was screwed but I went back through the dungeon again following the original path I took to move forward and the construct had been teleported back in front the gate right before the enemy room with the large lava pistons dropping lava on you while you fight waves of enemies (that was a tough fight too). This is right before you ride the Construct back over the lava to drop the bridge down.

I rode him back and put the chain up without an issue and went on to kill
Ghorn
Did you try working your way back around?

ShinAmano

I had a bit of a glitch happen to me that ported the construct I had set up right near the entrance with a chain crossing to the other side. I left the room and when I came back, the construct had disappeared on me. I thought I was screwed but I went back through the dungeon again following the original path I took to move forward and the construct had been teleported back in front the gate right before the enemy room with the large lava pistons dropping lava on you while you fight waves of enemies (that was a tough fight too). This is right before you ride the Construct back over the lava to drop the bridge down.

I rode him back and put the chain up without an issue and went on to kill
Ghorn
Did you try working your way back around?

That is where it is stuck...I was getting destroyed in that fight so I teleported out...I went to level up...the teleport option to return was gone so I went back through the dungeon.

IronRinn

Restored an old save and had to redo a fairly large chunk of the quest for
The Lord of Bones
but at least this time I got
Achindna's Sting
and the cutscene afterword actually functioned as it was supposed to. Seriously, if you're on a PC back up your save every time you exit the game. Game is a bit of a buggy mess at the moment.

Dahbomb

The dash/evade is SUPER responsive but you have to first understand when you can evade and when you can't. Moves can only be canceled to the dodge at specific frames. Further more some states prevent you from dodging until recovered like being parried by an enemy or the 3rd dodge which can only be canceled by Wrath specific moves.

Most enemies attacks home in on your location meaning if you dodged too early you will get hit. Best way to dodge is do it when the attack is about to hit you, when you are in focus mode and when you are close to the opponent (excluding wide area of effect moves).

The Thane boss fight early on was a great idea because it teaches you how to dodge right. You should not get hit at all.

Ricker

After trying to kill Beilthir or whatever he is called in the Forged Lands
Big ass Dragon that only started attacking me when I was on a very narrow small bridge
,at level 12 and failing miserably,I went back to start Act 2 proper but I seem to be missing something...there is a bunch of plates on the ground inside the 2 dungeons I tried(The Breach),in sets of 2 that need to be stepped on to activate stuff...can't progress in there for now it seems? I need to find the Lord of the Bones I think...do I have to go through the Breach?

And what about Gorewood? I am right where the markers says he is but nothing happens...

Dahbomb

To find Gorewood you have to go across the water into the dungeon. Find the skeleton key, open the door, wall run a bit, swim around until you reach a cave like area where you will find him.

Zeth

I think I've missed two major cutscenes portions so far. Really weird skipping/music sync and dialogue that makes zero sense/no context. Is this a known issue? I don't have a save to retry them. Last one was at the end of (dungeon name, ~15 hours in)
City of the Dead
. This is on 360, installed.

Edit: read a few posts up, seems like it's not uncommon.

Hindle

Banned
I've just done drench fort, it's great so far, I've no idea why I'm at drench fort like but heh it's still great. Something about tears apparently. Also regarding the side quests, can you do them at any time? Or do they become blocked off etc.

Top Bottom