• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No wonder you are at 90 hours play time.

Gotta make the most of my free time and money :lol

Thanks. Do you have to do it all in one go to get the trophy, or just at some point finish the final level? Any reason I wouldn't want to do ten levels, quit and get the gear, then do ten levels later, quit for the gear, and repeat?
I honestly have no clue I would assume you would have to do it in one go. And you can only start from every 25 levels of the crucible. The more consecutive levels you do the more and better loot you get. Floor you stop on determines item level as well.

burgerdog

Looks like a bunch of us finished the game last night, awesome. Dahbomb, why don't you download MSI afterburner so you could record full length videos? Get off that fraps trial shit and get to work.

Hopefully the next game is a 4 player game, ala Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1, but retaining DSII's combat systems. Imagine Using each character to help each other out going through the levels? War can still double jump + float, death climbs high, etc.

Dahbomb

Looks like a bunch of us finished the game last night, awesome. Dahbomb, why don't you download MSI afterburner so you could record full length videos? Get off that fraps trial shit and get to work.
I don't think I can reach that level on k&m at least not any time soon, I am just not that great on the set up. Plus my game doesn't always run at full fps to do those tight cancels consistently.

But I will download that program and maybe put out other types of videos (like tips and tricks).

What's the deal with lowering the bridge in The Scar? Is that a confirmed glitch? I destroyed all the corruption around it but it won't budge. I feel like it's taunting me...

I think I'll finally beat this game some time this weekend just to get it out of the way. Full thoughts on the game afterwards.

After those crappy set of fetch quests in world 2, I had to take a break from this game.

Duffyside

Banned
What's the deal with lowering the bridge in The Scar? Is that a confirmed glitch? I destroyed all the corruption around it but it won't budge. I feel like it's taunting me...

If it's the bridge I'm thinking of, then yeah, it can't be lowered (look at the ceiling). You can wall-run to where it would be lowered, though.

gunbo13

I don't think I can reach that level on k&m at least not any time soon, I am just not that great on the set up. Plus my game doesn't always run at full fps to do those tight cancels consistently.
All the combos except one were just mix-ups so I don't even think kb+m would make a huge difference. The combo with the delayed JFs though at 25s? That was good stuff.

Tragic's gif was better. This game has styling potential with freestyles. 1v1 though is pretty formulaic.

This game freezes on me ALL THE TIME on PS3. Ugh. I've had to restart my console twice today

edit: wow, after freezing in the charred pass, I turn off my PS3, turn on the game again, and it froze in pretty much the same spot again

This game freezes on me ALL THE TIME on PS3. Ugh. I've had to restart my console twice today

edit: wow, after freezing in the charred pass, I turn off my PS3, turn it on the game again, and it froze in pretty much the same spot again

Playing on PS3 it only froze on me once at the Gilded Arena. How old is your PS3, or better yet - how old is the HDD inside of your PS3?

If it's the bridge I'm thinking of, then yeah, it can't be lowered (look at the ceiling). You can wall-run to where it would be lowered, though.

I did wall run around it, beat the wave of corrupted constructs (including the two huge ones), and got the custodian construct to the side where the bridge looks like it should be lowered to. Dust even sits on one of the guard posts. I used the custodian to smash all the corruption that looked like it was holding the bridge up, but it didn't fall. Am I just not going about the puzzle right?

aristotle

Yeah ok. There's nothing like juggles or cancels in that video. Keep on. Sorry to digress. :p

Also, it's pretty much impossible for you to watch 9 minutes of video in 2 minutes. Just saying. Anyways, guess it's time to put back on the blinders.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Yeah ok. There's nothing like juggles or cancels in that video. Keep on. Sorry to digress. :p

Also, it's pretty much impossible for you to watch 9 minutes of video in 2 minutes. Just saying. Anyways, guess it's time to put back on the blinders.

I seen that video ages ago. I don't have to watch the whole thing for the 5th time -.-

Dahbomb

All the combos except one were just mix-ups so I don't even think kb+m would make a huge difference. The combo with the delayed JFs though at 25s? That was good stuff.
A lot of the Flipsaw cancels into Meteor Strike into Harvest Revenge are tight. He in fact missed that combo at 1:08. The way to do that right is to disengage and then engage lock on again in between Meteor Smash and the ground dodge.

I have to put some time in the lab with some of these especially with the Buckler. Being able to cancel the recovery of Harvest Slash like that could lead to more interesting stuff.

I just looked at the user name and its His1Nightmare... ROFL! He states the game has high combo potential and says this was just a very unpolished showcase of some of the advance stuff.

I figured out a "swag" combo using a just frame with the Armblades. The problem is that where I am at right now, the enemies don't survive the combo so I have only done it in parts. It's basically XXYY Scythe launcher Flip Kick XX YYY Flip Saw Meteor Smash Shoryuken XXYYYYX Meteor Smash Harvest Revenge XXXX:Y Teleport Slash.

I am working on follow ups after the Teleport Slash. I think it may be possible using Frenzy. There is a lot of stuff that is still untapped with the Wrath moves because they are like the DT cancel with Nero, cancels anything in the game.

Playing on PS3 it only froze on me once at the Gilded Arena. How old is your PS3, or better yet - how old is the HDD inside of your PS3?

My PS3 is 4 years old. the HDD inside of it is only 2 years old. I usually don't have a ton of problems with freezing. Hell, even Skyrim froze less than this game does.

A lot of the Flipsaw cancels into Meteor Strike into Harvest Revenge are tight. He in fact missed that combo at 1:08. The way to do that right is to disengage and then engage lock on again in between Meteor Smash and the ground dodge.

I have to put some time in the lab with some of these especially with the Buckler. Being able to cancel the recovery of Harvest Slash like that could lead to more interesting stuff.

I just looked at the user name and its His1Nightmare... ROFL! He states the game has high combo potential and says this was just a very unpolished showcase of some of the advance stuff.

I figured out a "swag" combo using a just frame with the Armblades. The problem is that where I am at right now, the enemies don't survive the combo so I have only done it in parts. It's basically XXYY Scythe launcher Flip Kick XX YYY Flip Saw Meteor Smash Shoryuken XXYYYYX Meteor Smash Harvest Revenge XXXX:Y Teleport Slash.

I am working on follow ups after the Teleport Slash. I think it may be possible using Frenzy. There is a lot of stuff that is still untapped with the Wrath moves because they are like the DT cancel with Nero, cancels anything in the game.

i'm *random false age* and i don't know what this is..but it sounds epic though, i may need to get this.

Dahbomb

Armblade has the Shoryuken JF? Or is it a separate move?
There is no just frame there, it's just regular ground string into forward dodge Y. Armblade just frame is the shock wave.

I REALLY need to get myself a crap weapon to try this stuff, no regular sized enemy can survive this. I want to practice on single enemies because more than one results in combo interruption a lot.

I did wall run around it, beat the wave of corrupted constructs (including the two huge ones), and got the custodian construct to the side where the bridge looks like it should be lowered to. Dust even sits on one of the guard posts. I used the custodian to smash all the corruption that looked like it was holding the bridge up, but it didn't fall. Am I just not going about the puzzle right?

It looks like this is indeed a glitch. Go to 18:57 in this video.
The bridge should fall.

EDIT: Here's me staring at the stuck bridge:
dI6m2.jpg

Dahbomb

I just had the best idea ever....

I don't know if Soul Splitter being used in combos was an intended feature but if it was my hat goes off for that person.

gunbo13

Why does everything have to be a war? Seriously. May be you need to be pointed to a video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BoHu8FTyxk
Yuck. This game's freestyle potential is already more stylish then that. GoW3's strength is mixed mob SP fights.
There's just not much to do on those flipsaws except to get back down though. So that's why the one combo was just four flipsaws using meteor strike to ground again. And the grab + twin cannon is something I was playing with yet didn't find much to it except what was shown.

I know the game was designed looking to DMC but it is still more of a mob efficient combat system. The grab + gun cancels has great mob control potential. The aerials to meteor strike are most needed with incoming secondary attacks and look cool in addition. And maintaining multiple juggles is definitely something. So while everything 1v1 except that nice JF combo was formulaic, the stuff tragic showed quickly is much less so. It's closer to NG type showcasing at this stage but still with more 1v1 potential. So maybe somewhere in the middle but still leaning towards freestyling.

Of course...what can change this is to open things up with special attacks, like what the dopple combo hinted at. That might involve using wrath draining weapons and heavy special cancels to up the 1v1 game. A little cheesy but who gives a shit. Then if we can start getting some crazy gun + wrath + JF + x specials? That can lead to something. That is if the enemies don't die too fast...always a problem. :( But yea, don't think that video showed much in the right direction but there "might" be some key things in the combat system undiscovered. I'll play a bit of wait and see since I don't have a near unlimited amount of hours to start discovering stuff.
He also said this game has more combo potential then DMC4. So there's that.

Dahbomb

He didn't mention Dmc4 though, I don't think he seriously believes Ds2 beats Dmc4 in combo potential. Also His1 was just showing some 1v1 clips, I am sure if we had seen full combat sequences it would look like that gif where Tragic is adjusting on the fly. I agree that is where the strength of the game is but I like the video because it gets my gears grinding... especially the Soul Splitter part which is the tip of the ice berg for that, the Wrath combos, Redemption cancel and Buckler cancel.

I was crusing through the final stage of the crucible, like not even a scratch. ( I have health and wraith steal, with a arcane heavy death). Then level 99 comes and I die in like 3 seconds. LOL. Damn
Suffering

jett

D-Member
There's a treasure I have no fucking idea how to reach in the
City of the dead
, I can't even see it, it just shows up on the map. I can see a Serpent Tome weapon hiding behind a hole in the wall though. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

gunbo13

He didn't mention Dmc4 though. Also His1 was just showing some 1v1 clips, I am sure if we had seen full sequences it would look like that gif where Tragic is adjusting on the fly. I agree that is where the strength of the game is but I like the video because it gets my gears grinding... especially the Soul Splitter part which is the tip of the ice berg for that.
Hi his1 do you wanna mean DS2 have more potential than DMC4 ? :)
XeLvIIsX 8 hours ago

I would say yes.
his1nightmare in reply to XeLvIIsX 8 hours ago

---

Let's just put that bat shit idea aside. ;)

No, I think these videos are great since it gets you thinking of the "what if I do that" stuff. Yet the OTF stuff Tragic was doing is really where things will shine IMO. Even if 1v1 can be tapped with doing wrath shenanigans or whatever, I don't think the enemies will live long enough. That is until some trainer is released or something. Though, they probably will lean towards repetitiveness as there just isn't enough there. There is a reason why Tragic provided a scripted combat example in that one post reliant on AI. That's because a lot of the moves can be utilized to combat secondary AI or work extensively on mobs.

Part of me actually prefers freestyles more then 1v1. 1v1 can often look way cooler but the perfect execution can be exhaustive to the player. Freestyles, which DS2 seems to fit the part for properly, are all about player adaption and just trying to eek out as much style in an uncontrolled time-frame/setting. Often not as "holy shit" to look at but way more fun to play.

Game Informer is giving away the soundtrack to 10 lucky winners just by sending an email.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/08/23/win-the-darksiders-ii-soundtrack.aspx

Jesper Kyd's Darksiders II score is one of the best game soundtracks of the year. Now, you have the chance to win one of 10 copies of the double CD.

It's easy to enter, just send and email with the subject line "Darksiders II Soundtrack" to the following email address:

darksidersiisoundtrack@yahoo.com

We'll select 10 winners and random and mail them the CDs.

Deadline for entry is Friday, August 31.

Dahbomb

Maybe he just means Nero... Or maybe he's just trolling. In any case I wouldn't read too much into the comments aside from the potential more advance stuff in the combat.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
There's a treasure I have no fucking idea how to reach in the
City of the dead
, I can't even see it, it just shows up on the map. I can see a Serpent Tome weapon hiding behind a hole in the wall though. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

is it the one where you press a switch and run across a wall? If so well I just answered how to get to it.

Dahbomb

I know how to get that.

Use Soul Splitter, tell one guy to wall run to the middle post. Tell other guy to move switch. Guy on post will move behind the wall.

jett

D-Member
I know how to get that.

Use Soul Splitter, tell one guy to wall run to the middle post. Tell other guy to move switch. Guy on post will move behind the wall.

HAH that's pretty neat, thanks. :p

I really enjoyed the puzzles in this game btw, some really neat brain teasers. It really is a cleverly designed game, from top to bottom.

Dahbomb

Ds1 had some real brain teasers especially in the Black Throne. The portal gun puzzles were...different. They could've had some real head scratchers in this game if Interdiction and Soul Splitter were separate tools along with Void Walker. Imagine having to control like 5 different switches while reflecting beams off of mirrors through portals inside portals...

They should've designed some puzzles as side quests that were super hard to figure out.

So what's up with the abilities I'm missing? I have two black squares.
I want to know this as well.

remz

Ds1 had some real brain teasers especially in the Black Throne. The portal gun puzzles were...different. They could've had some real head scratchers in this game if Interdiction and Soul Splitter were separate tools along with Void Walker. Imagine having to control like 5 different switches while reflecting beams off of mirrors through portals inside portals...

They should've designed some puzzles as side quests that were super hard to figure out.

I'd be cool if they did some DLC challenge dungeons with super hard puzzles, I think. I'd totally go for that :3

ShdwDrake

Banned
You get to the second heart stone from the top of it. He doesnt throw you to it

LOL puzzles are hard

No when he throws you up where u use the bomb to get rid of the corruption on the path so u can get on top of it. I watched and read on that part I can't get to it because he doesn't throw me to where that chest is so stop being a dick.

Oh great now he's stuck and deleting the save or fast traveling or walking all the way out and back in doesn't fix it.

Top Bottom