• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Dahbomb

Good thing the ending in the first game was godly.

"No..... not alone"

"And the horsemen shall forever be...4"

But real talk I can't take another side story game from the DS universe.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Heck, no.

Have Darskiders III be an actual sequel, for god's sake.

(Please God let there BE a Darksiders III.)

Look, the first one was a gamble, the second one was an experiment. Now they know what works, what doesn't. Darksiders III can be amazing. (Not that I don't think DS2 is already a pretty good game.)

Make it happen, THQ.

Dahbomb

I feel like they are going to take another risk with a multiple character game.

Part of me wants to play a DS coop game dungeon crawler ARPG using the current combat and expanded skill trees for each character but that takes away a lot from the pillars of the series which is the exploration, the puzzle solving and building up your character into a bad ass after a long journey.

Or they can try a 4 character game but you play as 1 horseman per world with each world being around 8 hours. Don't know how I feel about that, if executed well it can be pretty awesome but very few games have been able to do this properly.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It can work, especially the puzzle solving.

And imagine, you playing with 3 other friends, each controlling a different horsemen, all personalized by each player, discovering an uncharted dungeon, way off from the main quest.

Or all 4 taking on a massive boss. Or one big horse battle with the 4 horsemen on their horse.

It CAN work, but it's gonna require A LOT LOOOOOOOT of work.

EDIT: Borderlands. Something like Borderlands could work. It just needs puzzle solving.

Dahbomb

That's what I want too but it would still be a different game. They would have to design puzzles around 4 players and that would also mean coding for AI..

It also really hampers the story and character if it's not designed completely for either 4 player or single player. I mean what if you want to play alone... Do you play alone or with AI partners? It would be an RE5/LP2 situation but with loot.

The best way to do it would be an Avengers-style "Everyone gets their own game first" thing.

But the problems are

1) DS1 set it up that each sidestory is a stab in the side to those who want to make good on that potential.

2) THQ is in enough trouble that three more Darksiders games is not terribly feasible. If it were a 10 million+ selling series, that'd be different. But I would be surprised if there is a third Darksiders at this rate.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If the 4 Horsemen are with each other the whole game, AI coding will be required either way.

I don't like the idea of one horsemen per world.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I can already foresee buggy AI not doing what they are supposed to during puzzles and preventing progress....

Just give more time for QA and everything should be fine. Good AI does exist.

And oh man, just imagine being able to customize War. *_*

KevinCow

Banned
The best way to do it would be an Avengers-style "Everyone gets their own game first" thing.

But the problems are

1) DS1 set it up that each sidestory is a stab in the side to those who want to make good on that potential.

2) THQ is in enough trouble that three more Darksiders games is not terribly feasible. If it were a 10 million+ selling series, that'd be different. But I would be surprised if there is a third Darksiders at this rate.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

Doing it Avengers style would be ridiculously awesome if we were guaranteed to get all 5 games. I'm sure it would upset some people, but I'd be fine with waiting three more games to follow up on that Darksiders 1 ending... although I'd hope that Strife's and Fury's stories were better than Death's.

But as it stands right now, there's no guarantee. And considering the state of both THQ and the Darksiders series, it seems unlikely. So I'd really rather have 3 follow up on that ending than never get a follow-up to that ending.

Maybe they can go ahead and follow it up in 3, and then if the series is still successful enough to get more games, they could go back and do Strife and Fury prequels or something.

Necrovex

I'm going to simply wait and hope Virgil releases a patch for the PC version. I'm unable to continue with the game in its current state. Every time I go to the menu screen, I simply want to vomit at the resolution.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm going to simply wait and hope Virgil releases a patch for the PC version. I'm unable to continue with the game in its current state. Every time I go to the menu screen, I simply want to vomit at the resolution.

Huh? you talking about low res death? I dont think that will ever be changed. o_O

ironcreed

Banned
Has this game frozen a lot for people? I'm on the PS3 version and it's done so about 3 times already. :(

Just once here. Other than that I have got stuck in the environment and the framerate has gone south here and there in the third world. Nothing game breaking so far, but it definitely could use some technical polish.

I think that there's a lot of people at Vigil chomping at the bit to make a third-person shooter. It happened in the first game and it happened again, except this game is way worse since the dungeon is at least twice as long, has tons of shitty enemies to fight, and it features a constant barrage of Inception horns.

I hope vigil never gets to make a TPS because they obviously suck at it.

Lemming

Finished it today. Been quite a ride!
I guess my favorite thing about it was actually the guardian theme. Amazing, amazing, amazing work. BUT, the problem is I kept waiting for something similar to play later on and nada :(

The puzzles are more straightforward than DS1, which, for me, was a plus. I remember getting stuck often on the first one.

PS: no idea how on earth (heh) that little section got approved. Seriously, did anyone actually enjoy it? :(

neoism

I'm about to beat it too but well have to wait til that tomb dlc more than likely, hope BL2 isn't out yet I'll just have to move on. I don't want to start my new game+ without the patch......

neoism

Did you guys wait till all 4 worlds were open before you did the side quests?

lol haven't done one yet going to wait for the new game+ on apoc..... I'm still level 21 too at the end I deliberately didn't use exp bonus gear... I wanted to be just a little under leveled the whole game...

SaintR

I'm sure this has been covered but anyone having issues with the game and Override AA through radeon pro. I can enhance but as soon as I override It, I get invisible death and textures of the game.
I tried the FXAA injector but I cant get d3d to work with it
Your help is much appreciated guys

Blades64

Banned
So I'm enjoying the game VERY much! No issues for me here. Loving it. The Forge Lands was beautiful.

BUT...then I
get started on World 2
and my spirit has sunk. It's so...bland. I'm having to push myself here. I still like the game, but this is killing me here.

CTE

Yeah, I was referring to low res Death. That would be a major disappointment if Virgil decided not to change that part.

I didn't know Million Dollar Man's sidekick made this game. Good work, Virgil.

bio-virgil.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Not really.
The hardest thing about the soul split was figuring out the range of the clones. That doesn't exactly involve a lot of thinking. The portal stuff was substantially easier than in the first game. Vigil doesn't even let you figure out the most difficult part about the portals this time; the fact that you can shoot a portal through a portal appears in a tool tip.

Some of the stuff
like figuring out you can pull shadow bombs out of the hands of other clones, or figuring out how to properly utilize the fact that you respawn at the statute when you break the split involves a little experimentation.
I'm not saying this is rocky science, but comparing this stuff to early OoT is asinine.

KevinCow

Banned
There weren't really any puzzles that got me stuck, but there were a few that made me say, "Oh, that was pretty clever."

My favorite in the game:
When you launch the Soul Splitter statue through a portal to reach a new area.
I figured it out almost instantly, but I had a big grin on my face the whole time I was setting it up, and it was a joy to see it play out successfully.

BY2K

Membero Americo
My favorite puzzle:
Throwing a shadow bomb from one clone to another, through a portal, in the past in The Black Stone to destroy the Corruption and make in disappear in the future.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
My favorite puzzle:
Throwing a shadow bomb from one clone to another, through a portal, in the past in The Black Stone to destroy the Corruption and make in disappear in the future.

Agreed! I sat there for a while smiling to myself!

Necrovex

I'm about to beat it too but well have to wait til that tomb dlc more than likely, hope BL2 isn't out yet I'll just have to move on. I don't want to start my new game+ without the patch......

I'm assuming a patch is coming, but has it actually been confirmed that a patch will be coming to improve the PC version?

nOoblet16

I'm confused

(End game spoilers)

If death planted the seed to restore humanity and then the seventh seal was broken in the end resurrecting all the horsemen, then wouldn't it be their duty to bring down upon the Apocalypse for real this time around and thereby wiping out mankind again? lol

Ilive1up

alright. so i bought this game today, and i'm digging almost all of it (loot, dialogue trees, etc) but holy hell this game freezes a lot. at least 7 times already. i'm turning it off for the night because i can't stand another freeze.

any word if a patch is in the works to stop all hang ups?

Anyone else finding the ambient/world/exploration music volume too low and the combat/battle music volume too high? I find myself constantly raising and lowering the volume so it can alternately be heard, and not blow my speakers.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm confused

(End game spoilers)

If death planted the seed to restore humanity and then the seventh seal was broken in the end resurrecting all the horsemen, then wouldn't it be their duty to bring down upon the Apocalypse for real this time around and thereby wiping out mankind again? lol

The Apocalypse wasn't supposed to wipe out humanity, though. From the opening of DS1:

"The great pact was bound by Seven Seals, to be broken at the appointed time -- when Man's kingdom stood ready for the Endwar -- a battle that would bring balance, and determine the ultimate fate of the three kingdoms..."

So whatever seeds Death planted aren't necessarily going to be destroyed.

Dahbomb

The only part in the puzzles that got me was when you had to
catch the bomb from your own clone in the 3rd world. That took me more than a couple minutes to figure out.

I seriously would've been stumped at the last puzzle in the game if it weren't for that simplified version early on. That last puzzle showed that Vigil can make great puzzles but they toned it down for the masses this time around.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The only part in the puzzles that got me was when you had to
catch the bomb from your own clone in the 3rd world. That took me more than a couple minutes to figure out.

I seriously would've been stumped at the last puzzle in the game if it weren't for that simplified version early on. That last puzzle showed that Vigil can make great puzzles but they toned it down for the masses this time around.

I actually got stumped on the last puzzle because for the one in the 3rd world I
used the Deathgrip to get the shadow bomb from the other clone instead of throwing it.
My mind didn't click at the last puzzle when I realized the deathgrip wouldn't work for that one.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
My favorite puzzle:

Wait, you threw it through the portal? I thought the portal was basically a red herring in the past! I just passed it from clone-to-clone through that right-angled tunnel that you had to wall run across.

Dahbomb

I actually got stumped on the last puzzle because for the one in the 3rd world I
used the Deathgrip to get the shadow bomb from the other clone instead of throwing it.
My mind didn't click at the last puzzle when I realized the deathgrip wouldn't work for that one.
What? I used the Death Grip for both!

I didn't use the portal either.

Dahbomb

I sent one clone to grab the ball and get close to the edge from where you came from. Sent the other to come and grip the ball and walk towards the other edge. Then I wall ran with the original clone to the other side and gripped again. Then I just walked around and threw the ball.

I tried using the portal but the ball wasn't reaching. Maybe I didn't charge it.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm pretty sure I never threw a bomb between clones. I always used the Deathgrip. I didn't even know you could throw them until people mentioned it in this thread just now.

Top Bottom