• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

RPGCrazied

complete dropoff from worlds 1 and 2 to 3, and then further from 3 to 4. A real shame.

Yeah. World 3 is barren, not even any enemies to fight, no side dungeons, nothing. Why put in a huge area without at least monsters? Unless I missed them or something. The 2nd world was the best one, I loved the setting, fits Death well.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Didn't like the soundtrack for Darksiders II?

I'm not worried about AC3. A lot of the tracks in Darksiders II to me felt like they lacked direction/inspiration, and then the same tracks were reused over and over and over...

but Assassin's Creed always feels like it fits and it has always been really good

He's worried ACIII will have shitty music because Jasper Kyd (the usual AC composer) worked on Darksiders II instead of ACIII.

Dahbomb

Darksiders 2 had a godly sound track. Every piece was amazing. My 3 favorite are the Guardian battle, Crowfather theme and Archon theme. The ambient music and battle music was great too.

Fault the pacing of the game not the actual quality of the soundtrack.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah. World 3 is barren, not even any enemies to fight, no side dungeons, nothing. Why put in a huge area without at least monsters? Unless I missed them or something. The 2nd world was the best one, I loved the setting, fits Death well.

Just reached Lostlight last night before saving. Was hoping there would be more to it, as I really dig the Autumn look it has going on. Don't like hearing that, but I am about to dive back in here in a bit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Didn't like the soundtrack for Darksiders II?

I'm not worried about AC3. A lot of the tracks in Darksiders II to me felt like they lacked direction/inspiration, and then the same tracks were reused over and over and over...

but Assassin's Creed always feels like it fits and it has always been really good

No, I loved it. But Kyd did this instead of that.

The music in this game is great but repeats too much.

Monocle

Darksiders 2 had a godly sound track. Every piece was amazing. My 3 favorite are the Guardian battle, Crowfather theme and Archon theme. The ambient music and battle music was great too.

Fault the pacing of the game not the actual quality of the soundtrack.
The two tracks that play during the Land of the Dead tombs are so good. Such a cool mood.

Hindle

Banned
Hearing about the later stages of the game has me a bit worried, is it really that bad?
So far it's great, but they need to sort out thier pacing as there is way too many fetch quests.

Carm

Dahbomb's right, no one's making you mash. The combat system gives you a lot of offensive options balanced with appropriate windows of vulnerability. You have tons of tools to work with. It's up to you to figure out what's most effective and how much you want to mix things up.

The tools don't mean anything when the camera they went with ruins the combat system.

Carm

Nonsense it's not THAT bad

It's just as bad as Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning. That game got harsh criticism for the camera, why give DS2 a pass? Also, I didn't say it ruins the game, just the combat system. No point in a complex system when the camera hinders it the entire time. With that said, it's not just the camera, the lack of a toggle lock on is a factor as well. Which leads into control scheme problems.

I'll relent a little with the ruin comment. I'm sure some people enjoy it, it's just ruined for me.

Dahbomb

Hearing about the later stages of the game has me a bit worried, is it really that bad?
So far it's great, but they need to sort out thier pacing as there is way too many fetch quests.
That really depends.
It's basically two mini worlds after Kingdom of the Dead. The Angel realm has a few dungeons and is centered mostly around using the Void Walker to cleanse the land. The puzzles are fairly neat here, feels close to Ds1. In the middle of the Angel realm is a short Earth realm mission which is hot fucking garbage, easily the worst part of the game but thankfully it's not that long. After you beat a couple of bosses in the angel realm you move on to the demon realm. If you thought the Angel realm was short well the demon realm is only one dungeon but it's a really good singular dungeon and also very similar to the first game. Puzzles mostly focus around the Phase Walker here. The boss fight here is one of the best ones in the series easily. After that you move to the Well of Souls for your final boss battle which is kinda meh following up the bosses in the angel and demon world.

So yea it's not really bad at all but the pacing does not match the one in 2/3 in fact I would say it goes off the opposite end of the spectrum.

The tools don't mean anything when the camera they went with ruins the combat system.
It does not ruin anything, you just need to control it better and switch between non lock on combat and lock on combat accordingly. It's cumbersome and unwielding but does not impede on your ability as a player to perform well especially when mastered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0sBoQoT4I0

Carm

I've watched all the videos posted in this thread already. The video you posted shows exactly what the problem is. Just because the camera semi works with one/two enemies visible on screen doesn't mean it's good.

With all that said, I understand why the camera sucks and all the blame lies at the consoles tech specs feet. Closer camera equals less things to render, which translates to a 25fps instead of a 10fps. At least I hope that is the reason and it wasn't intentional.

Dahbomb

I never said the camera/lock on was good but it isn't so terrible that it renders the combat obsolete or deters from its fluidity and depth.

Your reasoning for the fps makes no sense as you can play the game without ever locking on or zooming in, hence making any design of fPS based on a lock on system pointless. There is no real significant change in fps based on lock on used.

Carm

I never said the camera/lock on was good but it isn't so terrible that it renders the combat obsolete or deters from its fluidity and depth.

Your reasoning for the fps makes no sense as you can play the game without ever locking on or zooming in, hence making any design of fPS based on a lock on system pointless. There is no real significant change in fps based on lock on used.

I was referring to how close the camera is all the time, and why it's close even without lock on and the most probable reason for it. Even if I never use lock on, the camera is to close to the player character.

Camera is bad without lock on
Camera gets worse when using lock on
Camera is close most likely because of low performing console specs

Dahbomb

I don't think I've ever seen people not complain about the camera in any game with this style of combat. >_>
Agreed, I have seen the fewest complaints from Godhand though because its camera system is very different from your average 3d action game.

I think the camera is just fine without lock on, you can freely control it and on the PC version it's fairly intuitive.

Carm

I don't have to many complaints about the camera/player position in DMC4. Except for the occasional stupid fixed camera position, a blemish held over from RE.

DMC4 vs DS2 vs KoA: R non lock on camera position.
P9UZa.jpg

wVC9I.jpg
d8vEB.jpg

Edit: Added KoA: R for comparison

KoA is by far the worst of the three in default camera positions. Doesn't change the fact DS2 isn't good either.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Question about the third Tomb of the Dead (in Lost Light):

Where is the
Hoardseeker Amulet
in this tomb? I've opened every chest I can find, and I'm not seeking anything I can drag or break.

In 10 hours I've had 2 freezes during the load from Tri-Stone to Stonefather's Vale, and a combat arena that loaded Death OUTSIDE the door which locked me out and forced me to reset. I'm loving everything else about the game, but the lack of polish on the technical side of things is disappointing. I can deal with framerate drops here and there, but freezing and glitches that force resets are absolute mood killers. MOAR POLISH NXT TIME VIGL PLS

But man oh man is the soundtrack amazing. That and the art hnnnngggg

jett

D-Member
Could you be a bit more specific?
The three chests I see are now open. I've tried hitting the angel statue, but nothing is happening.
Due to all the bugs this game has, I'm wondering if something is suppose to be here that's not.

Re music: my favorite track.

I can't, I just remember breaking a bunch of stuff and money pouring down from above along with a secret chest.

Dahbomb

Since people are a bit confused about ng+ and point of no return:

There is no real point of no return in the game. After you beat the final boss in the Well of Souls you are given a question to go into Ng+. Simply decline it and the game will take you to the point right before the Well of Souls. You can then 100% the game and when you do you can come back to the well of souls, do the boss fight and answer yes to the ng+ question to proceed to a ng+.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I can't, I just remember breaking a bunch of stuff and money pouring down from above along with a secret chest.

That happened for me in
Tomb located near the Deposed King in World II. There's supposed to be a cube you move in the Lost Light Tomb of the Dead, apparently, but I'm not seeing it. I've broken everything there is to break.

EDIT: Found it - it's in the
Serpent's Tome thing, not in the Tomb of the Dead itself.

Khezu

My problem with KoA camera wasn't so much that it was too close, but it was at a weird angle, like it always felt like I was staring at the ground.

jett

D-Member
That happened for me in
Tomb located near the Deposed King in World II. There's supposed to be a cube you move in the Lost Light Tomb of the Dead, apparently, but I'm not seeing it. I've broken everything there is to break.

Hmm might have been in the second tomb yeah. I just don't remember, then. :p

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Since people are a bit confused about ng+ and point of no return:

There is no real point of no return in the game. After you beat the final boss in the Well of Souls you are given a question to go into Ng+. Simply decline it and the game will take you to the point right before the Well of Souls. You can then 100% the game and when you do you can come back to the well of souls, do the boss fight and answer yes to the ng+ question to proceed to a ng+.

Thanks! Good info.

Monocle

Could you be a bit more specific?
The three chests I see are now open. I've tried hitting the angel statue, but nothing is happening.
Due to all the bugs this game has, I'm wondering if something is suppose to be here that's not.

Re music: my favorite track.
I think I remember finding the Hoardseeker talisman in the center of the raised platform in the third Death tomb, just floating there.

Finished it. It was great game but I feel disappointed. Dungeon were too short, only a few bosses were interesting. Story was pretty cool
if it were the first game but I wanted at least some story stuff which goes further than DS1 ending. Lilith is the best addition to the cast. If you can call her an addition because her voice appeared already in DS1
. Combat was great.

I guess I am disappointed because I wished a Zelda-Clone again. Instead I got a good combination of DMC and Zelda.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Health Steal, Health on Crit, Critical Chance, and Ice Damage.

I've got that on my scythes. Now that is one hell of a combo to put on a weapon. On Apocalyptic, I easily finished the first two sets in the Crucible without using a single potion.

Derrick01

Banned
I am surprised so many people didn't know that Ds2 was a parallel story to Ds1. That was basically the first bit of info that was released on the game.

Yeah when they revealed that I actually wrote this game off and ignored it until about a month before it released and I found out how different it was and how maybe there would be some new story stuff. Man was I wrong. Always follow your first instinct I guess.

Dahbomb

It's not that hard to get Execution chance that high as long as its the main stat on your Scythe. A lot of Execution chance Scythe can be found in the game. The other item that you can get execution chance with is your Talisman. If you want to go even further you can use the Execution Hooks unique item.

What I want to know is how that guy got his Health Steal to 90%+. Because I wonder if you can get other stats to those absurd heights.

Went back to the Harbinger side. While Necromancer is fun, Harbinger is just straight up beastly. Teleport Slashing + Explosions + Unstoppable + Health and Wrath regeneration is just crazy.

Chris_C

Can anyone tell me what these diamond shaped, silver-blue tokens I've been picking up are used for? The Boatman coins, I mean.

Top Bottom