• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm pretty sure I never threw a bomb between clones. I always used the Deathgrip. I didn't even know you could throw them until people mentioned it in this thread just now.

Yeah, I always just yanked it out of the hands of the other clone.

I'm pretty sure I never threw a bomb between clones. I always used the Deathgrip. I didn't even know you could throw them until people mentioned it in this thread just now.

Pretty sure you have to at that one point. Don't think there is any way to just grab it 'cause the portal is too far away.

So I just reached the point in the game that seems to bring out the most bitching.

Earth and shooting. The idea of corrider-esque shooting in the vein of Left 4 Dead/Serious Sam is fine (horn/music cue, then hordes w/ an occasional boomer, backstep while firing madly), but the execution is flat.

I think going with the Halo 3 style of lugging around a turret and killing your mobility just saps most of the fun it. If instead it was something like an upgrade to your existing pistol I'd dig it a lot more, because then you could add that element to your melee and maneuverability and each fight would feel dynamic, intense, and three dimensional. But as it is, you crawl when lugging around your weapon, and because of this restriction the gameplay options narrow to a simple line - its just one forward facing horde after another, with no interesting new mechanics worthy of exploration or experimentation, with no connection to your existing move set, skills, and loot.

If the guns felt more like an optional extra at least I could skip out on the whole thing, but those giant leaping, groundpounding corruption monkeys just seem too damn quick and unavoidable if you stick to melee.

I've only got two pieces of the Rod of Angelic Whatever, and am about to try and retrieve the third, so maybe there are some surprises to come, but so far this is the only section of the game that has let me down from a design and fun standpoint.

Absolutely fucking love every other bit of this game though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yes, but I'm pretty sure it's how Vigil intended it to be solved. It's another case of QA not having the time to pick this up.

You want the best case of not having to use a portal? If you go to the bottom special tower in kingdom of the dead the one you climb up. You dont even need to use the damn portals to get that chest you just jump off the side swing your scythe then use claws charge attack to go forward into the chest spot :lol

My favorite trick/puzzle so far was the one that got me the first of my (Demonic?) Garden Gnomes. Had a great Portal-esque moment there finding my curiosity and experimentation rewarded, and that's how you do it right.

I did "break" one puzzle, in that I used some very precise timing to get to an area that I guess the game didn't want me to be, so I couldn't return to the main pathway of the dungeon without killing myself and having my position reset. Was the only time that's happened, although there was an earlier dungeon that had me stuck for a while - the same timing got me past it, but the solution just felt wrong.

Dahbomb

I did "break" one puzzle, in that I used some very precise timing to get to an area that I guess the game didn't want me to be, so I couldn't return to the main pathway of the dungeon without killing myself and having my position reset. Was the only time that's happened, although there was an earlier dungeon that had me stuck for a while - the same timing got me past it, but the solution just felt wrong.
This happened to me in the Forgeland exactly. Now that I look back at it was designed with Soul Splitter in mind because there was no way to get back otherwise.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think Vigil could make four games that are different enough from one another to make the whole thing wortwhile. Death plays mostly like War (with, I feel, some devolution in the overall game structure). I see no real reason to string that theme out for four different horsemen.

It would make sense to me if War would be like a strategy RTS, Death a character action game...and I forget what the next two are in this universe. I was going to make Pestilence an Actraiser clone and Strife a music rhythm game.

Also: compare the internal "portal" logic of this game vs. that of Portal. Firing a portal through a portal is unintuitive and awkward. It's nothing like how it works in Portal. Big failure of presentation and caused me to get hung up on one puzzle. The whole momentum thing ("charged" portals) is also a limitation that you wish didn't have to be there (but you understand why it is).

Raxum

So the other day I got to 49/50 achievements for this on steam, but for some reason the BFA achieve didn't pop up, and I was under the impression that it was a "Get every other achievement" achievement. Anyone know anything about this? Kind of annoying having 49/50 on a game.

100 Waves of the Crucible was fun on apocalyptic. Think I'm burned out a bit until the DLCs start releasing.

Duffyside

Banned
Persistently stunned at the sheer amount of content and depth in this game. This is to me what Skyrim is to RPG players. I can see myself continuing to play this game bit by bit all holiday.

Just beat The Scar (a side dungeon) which was more epic in ways than some of the main dungeons are, especially in its look and presentation of the final battle. Was weird though that the regular enemies in the dungeon were whooping me pretty bad (died for the first time against normal enemies/sub-bosses, and then thrice more), only for the boss to be a push-over. I thought Ghorn was going to be too hard to beat, and I'd have to come back in five levels. Nope.

Duffyside

Banned
The Scar was cool and so is the
Black Throne
so far. I love lava-based, firey brimstone-esque levels.

Y'know, I often don't, but I'm glad you said you do because it made me think of why I did like The Scar's look, and it's because of the cartoony mix the art has. I mean, I liked the lava areas in Wind Waker (and Twilight Princess, actually), because it wasn't harsh-looking. A very simple mix of basic bright reds and oranges, not some black, muddy, grey, smokey, trying-too-hard-to-be-realistic mess.

ShinAmano

Can someone explain what carries over in NG+?

I have to be near finished with the game...but dont want to leave things unfinished if they dont carry over.

Thanks.

Syriel

I actually got stumped on the last puzzle because for the one in the 3rd world I
used the Deathgrip to get the shadow bomb from the other clone instead of throwing it.
My mind didn't click at the last puzzle when I realized the deathgrip wouldn't work for that one.

If you're talking about
blowing up the corruption in the past version of Samael's lair
then deathgrip is exactly how you are supposed to solve it.

Throwing the
bomb thru the portal and hoping the other guy catches it is sheer luck
. Deathgrip is the only sure way to go.

ironcreed

Banned
Just beat it. While Shadow's Edge made up for the slog of the third world by just being such a cool place, I was still disappointed that there was just nothing more to it. The game ends so fast once you get to that point that I was really kind of taken back by how rushed it felt. Imagine if they would have made Shadow's Edge as sprawling as The Kingdom of the Dead, it would have been epic.

At any rate, I still think it's a good game. But I just don't feel like it is consistent enough throughout for it to qualify as being a truly great game for me. Had the second half been more fleshed out, this would have easily been one of my favorite games of the year. It starts off great and then just when it is really getting good, everything just feels so tacked on and rushed. I still mostly had fun, though. It's a 7.5 for me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you're talking about
blowing up the corruption in the past version of Samael's lair
then deathgrip is exactly how you are supposed to solve it.

Throwing the
bomb thru the portal and hoping the other guy catches it is sheer luck
. Deathgrip is the only sure way to go.

wut? I did that in one try hahaha

Monocle

I'm still going fucking bonkers over the last remaining Boatman Coin. I swear I checked every location twice. This is so ridiculous. I feel like I can't continue on to New Game + until I find it.

I can't believe Vigil couldn't be bothered to include a tracking item or at the very least a location-based tally to give players some idea of where to look for their last few collectibles. Goddamn it.

I'm still going fucking bonkers over the last remaining Boatman Coin. I swear I checked every location twice. This is so ridiculous. I feel like I can't continue on to New Game + until I find it.

I can't believe Vigil couldn't be bothered to include a tracking item or at the very least a location-based tally to give players some idea of where to look for their last few collectibles. Goddamn it.

Haha, damn. A true completionist.

Monocle

Boat coins are completely useless past 40. No need to break a sweat over them, there isn't even an achievement for it.
I was under the impression you could purchase multiple rare item boxes from Vulgrim with those coins. If not, I guess I won't worry about that last one.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I was under the impression you could purchase multiple rare item boxes from Vulgrim with those coins. If not, I guess I won't worry about that last one.

You can reset the game if you get one you dont like, you just need a really good main and a really good off, which is 40 coins total

Dahbomb

You can but by quitting right after you buy an item allows you to keep the coins yet still see the stats. Once you get 40 you can infinitely roll a scythe and a secondary until you get what you like. I discovered this exploit and posted about it in this thread within a couple of days getting the game. And do this at lvl30 to ensure best weapons .

Monocle

You can reset the game if you get one you dont like, you just need a really good main and a really good off, which is 40 coins total

You can but by quitting right after you buy an item allows you to keep the coins yet still see the stats. Once you get 40 you can infinitely roll a scythe and a secondary until you get what you like. I discovered this exploit and posted about it in this thread within a couple of days getting the game. And do this at lvl30 to ensure best weapons .
I was aware of this trick already, but you're both right, there's really no need to get more than two ideal weapons. Thanks.

Jubbly

On the PC, with a Nvidia card, what's the best AA compatibility bit or AA option? The game has great art, but it needs a bit of a push to take it into awesomesauce territory imo.

Just played the
Earth
section

Kornheiser_Why.JPG

glaurung

So I started my Apocalyptic Necromancer play through on PS3.
  • Level 9 now, juts beat the Hulk Construct.
  • All mini-boss encounters with multiple mobs are difficult as hell. Dodge one guy, the other one still one-shots you.
  • Got the Shadow of Death item set with the collector's edition. It seems to have life steal (green orbs released from enemies upon hit), but I cannot figure out how it works. No other item I have found seems to have it. Weird.
  • On my Steam copy, Vulgrim had Possessed Weapon boxes for sale in Weeping Crag. On PS3, the last thing he selles is Elite boxes. Weird.
  • Targeting mobs is glitched in some places. Near Oran's hideout there are groups of enemies - smaller Prowlers and then those big guys. It looks like the big guys are invisible to the targeting system until you beat the smaller ones. Twitching on the right stick does not seem to do anything.
  • The game feels hella unpolished. And I need to fight the camera in tight spaces more than I need to fight the mobs.
  • Still love the game, that good old Blood Omen vibe.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
So I got to around wave 60ish, was on cruise control but then got completely murdered by two bastards that keep stunning me with lighting. I just sat that there unable to move wile they ripped me apart. What do I need to see that doesn't happen again? Higher resistance?

So, what would be a good harbinger build for the crucible on apocalyptic ? I'm lvl 20.

Are Ghoulies really helpful ? I haven't touched the necro tree yet...

Also, I've managed to find/buy 3 health steal weapons (they are at 12/14%). Should I feed them to my next possessed weapons or should I go the health on crit route ? I've saved up a shitload of those (in the 33-45 range) ?

Abylim

Health steal all the way.
It will always give you health, and the higher your damage is, the more it restores.

Currently I can have a sliver of health left, and within one attack be at full health.

glaurung

So, what would be a good harbinger build for the crucible on apocalyptic ? I'm lvl 20.

Are Ghoulies really helpful ? I haven't touched the necro tree yet...

Also, I've managed to find/buy 3 health steal weapons (they are at 12/14%). Should I feed them to my next possessed weapons or should I go the health on crit route ? I've saved up a shitload of those (in the 33-45 range) ?
The ghouls aren't that helpful, aside from being an aggro generator. Their ridiculously low health and pitiful damage output makes them something of a single-shot distraction for most large scale mobs.

I have also perceived that they tend to have poor vision - they do not always home in on enemies that are nearby.

Go for crows if you want a proper damaging spell.

Q8D3vil

game stuck at loading logo after pressing start (pc version)
wtf is this shit, i played 5 hours and i get this now.
so depressing.

Haunted

I'm going to simply wait and hope Virgil releases a patch for the PC version. I'm unable to continue with the game in its current state. Every time I go to the menu screen, I simply want to vomit at the resolution.
Clearly a design decision so his model and the equipment loads in almost immediately.

That said, I feel a decent PC should be able to handle the full resolution models - little oversights like these are another sign of a barebones PC port.

Yes, other games have sorted this out. It's better to include some way of identifying all collectibles on the map. Can all designers please cotton on to this going forward, thanks.

Also, any chance of a high-res patch for PC. That would be great. Looking at characters up close hurts my eyes.

Top Bottom