• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Just got to
Shadow's Edge

This place is gorgeous:

21779991-585D-4DFC-9E89-F094A07C44FE-3753-00000472C5857551.jpg

Abylim

Health Steal, Health on Crit, Critical Chance, and Ice Damage.

I've got that on my scythes. Now that is one hell of a combo to put on a weapon. On Apocalyptic, I easily finished the first two sets in the Crucible without using a single potion.

30% Health steal, 70 strength 30% crit chance and 32% crit damage on my level 30 possessed Scythes. Crit is sitting at 72%. I went through 1 -101 in one sitting in apocalyptic crucible. Was a complete joke. To make it easier, I put 30% wrath steal on secondary when I want to regen wrath.

Was dissappointed with how how piss easy this game was. Apocalyptic was pretty on par with DS1's apoc.

Disappointed with the end ofthe game, and the rampant lock ups.
Love this series, but hoped for a lot more story wise. Platinum'd it just now, was fun, but frustrating when it locks up. Also had the Arbiters Maze bug, where I could NOT go in. Id touch the book and lockup everytime. So that was awesome.

All in all 8/10 game for me. Looking forward to a third, if its after 1. If not, I'll wait fo rimpressions.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So how do collectibles work with NG+? IE would I have to grab all the book of the dead pages or boatman coins again in a new game?

Abylim

This is my weapon, btw

And my end game stats, without Abyssal. Abyssal is pretty shit. I dont need crit chance, or arcane. I need crit damage =\

If anyone wants my scythes, add my PSN, its Abylim. I can send them, if so needed.

Abylim

So how do collectibles work with NG+? IE would I have to grab all the book of the dead pages or boatman coins again in a new game?

Book of the dead "reset" as it were. Your progress is reset, so you need to re gather all of them. So if you had 38/40 for instance, then beat the game and went into NG+ you'd have no death tombs open, and have to collect them all again. Everything resets in NG+ so you can even regather stonebites!

ironcreed

Banned
I was kind of hoping that some of you guys were just exaggerating when you said the game took a quality hit, but unfortunately I have to agree. It was all smooth sailing until I went to Earth. Which is where it feels like the game creatively falls off a cliff.

Just wave after wave of those same guys every five steps and that awful shooting. What happened to the great level design, the puzzles and the platforming here? The game felt like some budget third person shooter at this point, just god awful stuff.

Anyway, I am at The Ivory Citadel now, and while it is much better than Earth, it is still not quite a return to form from The Land of the Dead. Which I felt really nailed the right kind of atmosphere and it's really sad to see it lost in later levels. It just lost that vibe and feels like they hit a creative wall.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a good game, but that Earth level and the third world in general brings it down quite a bit for me. To the point to where it is actually starting to drag. I am really just looking forward to beating it so I can get back to Sleeping Dogs. But we will see how it goes the rest of the way of course.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of on the fence regarding this game. I loved the first one and it was definitely in my GOTY running. How different is this one? If I loved the first one, would I like this one as well? Is it still very Zelda-like? I know these are dumb questions that have probably already been asked and I apologize for that.

Edit: If I do buy it, is there any noticeable difference between the 360/PS3 version?

neoism

I found that if my inventory was full, I wouldn't get the prompt to pick up boss weapon drops. :(

I remember picking up everything he droped... just beat the world 3 boss... man the fucking sucks was waiting for them the whole time goddamn it :/

Khezu

I remember picking up everything he droped... just beat the world 3 boss... man the fucking sucks was waiting for them the whole time goddamn it :/

It's not a normal "drop" there is a prompt like you picked up a zelda item, then its magically in your inventory.

Wow massive nosedive in quality once you hit world 3. I had seen mention of it but I thought people were exaggerating.

The first dungeon is downright abysmal and I cannot fathom how it didn't get cut.

Dahbomb

Just got to
Shadow's Edge

This place is gorgeous:

21779991-585D-4DFC-9E89-F094A07C44FE-3753-00000472C5857551.jpg
My jaw dropped in this area. Too bad it's one of the shortest areas in the game. :(

ROFL @ 90% crit chance.

30% Health steal, 70 strength 30% crit chance and 32% crit damage on my level 30 possessed Scythes. Crit is sitting at 72%. I went through 1 -101 in one sitting in apocalyptic crucible. Was a complete joke. To make it easier, I put 30% wrath steal on secondary when I want to regen wrath.
This is pretty much "end game" Harbringer build and it's something that I came with before even finishing the 2nd world. I have a make shift combination of this where I have Black Demise and Lich Spines for Wrath/Health steal. You have to fuck up pretty bad or have almost no defense/resistances where you get 1 shotted to die with this build IMO.

What I want to know is how that one guy got his health steal value up to 90%.

Ridley327

Wow massive nosedive in quality once you hit world 3. I had seen mention of it but I thought people were exaggerating.

The first dungeon is downright abysmal and I cannot fathom how it didn't get cut.

I think that there's a lot of people at Vigil chomping at the bit to make a third-person shooter. It happened in the first game and it happened again, except this game is way worse since the dungeon is at least twice as long, has tons of shitty enemies to fight, and it features a constant barrage of Inception horns.

Abylim

My jaw dropped in this area. Too bad it's one of the shortest areas in the game. :(

ROFL @ 90% crit chance.

This is pretty much "end game" Harbringer build and it's something that I came with before even finishing the 2nd world. I have a make shift combination of this where I have Black Demise and Lich Spines for Wrath/Health steal. You have to fuck up pretty bad or have almost no defense/resistances where you get 1 shotted to die with this build IMO.

What I want to know is how that one guy got his health steal value up to 90%.

No idea how, I did nothing but level health steal, adding nothing else to the weapon and feeding it healt steal and best i could get was 40%, but that was with nothing else on it.

Abylim

Take a picture! It'll last longer /harley

Sorry if this is for me, I did that while levelling my current possessed, to "Test" out how good I could get it. Didnt keep it. 40% health steal is better than 30% I guess, but Even at low health, one hit from my scythes with 30% health steal restores all my health. I'd rather have the 70 odd str and 30% crit chance on them instead of just 40% health =P

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I just finished the game. Some of you may remember me from the OT for the original Darksiders, and I'd just like to say that Darksiders II has exceeded my expectations and is now one of my favorite games of all time. Everybody knocked the original Darksiders for borrowing elements so liberally, but mashing up the Zelda and DMC/GoW model was what I loved. And for Darksiders II, Vigil took that mashup, made what was there better, and added the extra RPG mechanics and platforming and made it all into a cohesive whole that manages to somehow create something really unique out of all this addition.

I won't go into a full review, so I'll just throw out a list of Pros and Cons.

Pros

-Excellent combat. It doesn't quite hit the level of Ninja Gaiden or DMC3 (and certainly not Bayonetta) but its at least as good if not better than God of War.
-TONS OF DUNGEONS. Seriously, there's something like 12 dungeons and 8 or so mini-dungeons? And they're (almost) all excellent. Very well designed and there's some clever puzzles in here, especially after you get the
Soul Split
. Dungeons are my favorite part of Zelda games and Darksiders II basically gives me those Zelda dungeons without some of the more boring fluff that happens between.
-LOOT! Coming off Diablo III its nice to get loot that really means something. You can really get attached your weapon choices. And Possessed Weapons are just a great idea for crafting. Great stuff.
-People like to give this series crap about borrowing elements from other franchises, but Darksiders II puts it all together with more than just duct tape. Platforming feeds into the RPG mechanics. If you want loot, you gotta find chests, and often those chests require platforming. Loot feeds into combat by essentially letting you define your playstyle. Use puzzle solving to get loot. Getting new gear helps you unlock new areas and secrets. It's all just seemless integrated into each other.
-Jasper Kyd at the top of his fucking game. Some fantastic music.

Cons

-It's buggy and a little janky at times, no doubt about that. I felt Darksiders 1 was a very polished game and Darksiders 2 doesn't quite hit that same mark.
-It seems pretty clear that Vigil wanted the game to be even bigger but they were limited by budget and publisher/time constraints. There's so much content in the first two areas and then things really dip in Lostlight and Shadow's Edge. I think the amount of bugs is also the result of this.
-
Earth...
is a low point. Having guns be a temporary distraction in Darksiders 1 was fine, but making it the focus of an entire dungeon and throwing TONS of enemies at you was a bad idea.
-No collectibles on the map! This annoys me! This game has so many collectibles that it is sorely missing the ability to add their locations onto your map. This really should have been an amulet that you could get near the end of the game or something.
-The dungeons can blend together at times. Zelda dungeons usually have a very strong identity to them but some dungeons in Darksiders II can be awfully samey.

Overall, despite my little complaints, this is still a fantastic release. I can't wait to get the DLC! =)

I'm kind of on the fence regarding this game. I loved the first one and it was definitely in my GOTY running. How different is this one? If I loved the first one, would I like this one as well? Is it still very Zelda-like? I know these are dumb questions that have probably already been asked and I apologize for that.

The game is less like Zelda than the first game. The game's now about finding loot, and everything's pretty much built around that. The combat system has gotten much better to compensate for the loot system, but everything else is worse. The puzzles in particular are insultingly easy. I'm talking like child Link from Ocarina of Time levels of difficulty for some of the last puzzles in the game.

neoism

It's not a normal "drop" there is a prompt like you picked up a zelda item, then its magically in your inventory.
thankfully I didn't sell it but I found it I was looking for health steal but it a special ability.. :p 31 hours played I really fucking hope the patch comes soon as in not next month... I want to go through it again on new game plus with the fxaa injector since they said they would fix Vsync..... :/ I got 9% H steal on my scythe and 40 on crit with 36% chance. plus I have those awesome claws

one thing the makes me made I guess I just don't really understand the possessed weapons... Why in the fuck is a non possessed weapon have 0 health steal isn't that useless. it has to have something on it to give it to a possessed weapon right....was hoping to get more than 9% :/

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I'm determined to get as high a health steal figure as i can after seeing that 90% earlier in this thread. So far, i haven't run into anymore possessed weapons with that stat. If i do, i have the perfect "feeding" procedure ready to go. It is on!

Monocle

The game is less like Zelda than the first game. The game's now about finding loot, and everything's pretty much built around that. The combat system has gotten much better to compensate for the loot system, but everything else is worse. The puzzles in particular are insultingly easy. I'm talking like child Link from Ocarina of Time levels of difficulty for some of the last puzzles in the game.
Most of the world 2 and 3 puzzles were a good challenge to me. You have to use the abilities you acquire mid-game in inventive ways. I ran through all of world 2's dungeons a couple days ago to find collectables, and I came away with a renewed appreciation for the puzzle design. As to world 4, I think that if the puzzles were more difficult than they are, there would have been a lot of complaints and unfavorable comparisons to the final dungeon of the original game. Uneven pacing is a bigger issue than simplistic puzzles in the last stretch.

Anyone who plays Darksiders 2 mainly for the puzzles has a good chance of enjoying themselves, especially if they explore the side content. You don't have to go crazy with the loot or combat to do do well, especially below Apocalyptic difficulty. Merchants sell sufficiently powerful gear to carry you comfortably to the end, which is nice for players who don't want to fuss around mixing and matching items for the best effects (though personally I really enjoy loot in this game).

thankfully I didn't sell it but I found it I was looking for health steal but it a special ability.. :p 31 hours played I really fucking hope the patch comes soon as in not next month... I want to go through it again on new game plus with the fxaa injector since they said they would fix Vsync..... :/ I got 9% H steal on my scythe and 40 on crit with 36% chance. plus I have those awesome claws

one thing the makes me made I guess I just don't really understand the possessed weapons... Why in the fuck is a non possessed weapon have 0 health steal isn't that useless. it has to have something on it to give it to a possessed weapon right....was hoping to get more than 9% :/
When you're building possessed weapons, the order in which you add stats matters, because stats increase with every level the weapon gains. So if you want the highest possible health steal stat, add it during the weapon's first level up. I tend to prefer critical chance as my initial stat, but do whatever works for you.

I don't get how Teleport Slash has a Frost and Fire attachment to it on the same tree line. I know they're both percentage-based, but it would've been better splitting them up in the opposite direction. It just seems weird that I have a chance to cause Fire and Frost damage at the same time using Teleport Slash.

I went for the Unstoppable/TS build on the Harbinger side. Think this will get me through the Crucible along with my 20% Wrath Steal Scythes and Achidna's Fangs secondaries for the instant Health Steal. With this build I can spam TS and cause explosions everywhere every second, while my Wrath regeneration goes up to 60% for 10 seconds with every other hit.

Dina

Man,
Earth
is so boring. And it just keeps on going. Just finished one hour of shooting nonstop and it still ain't over.

neoism

another question why can't you use fully upgraded possessed and sacrifice them to other possessed weapons... :/ I thought you could.. upgrade is just red and it will not let me sacrifice it....

KevinCow

Banned
another question why can't you use fully upgraded possessed and sacrifice them to other possessed weapons... :/ I thought you could.. upgrade is just red and it will not let me sacrifice it....

You can.

If Upgrade is red, it means that item is fully upgraded.

Are you clicking on the right possessed weapon?

Is there a way to get Karn unstuck if he got caught in the geometry? I'm in the foundry and he seems to be suspended in the air and partially in the wall. I've tried dashing into him or using the nearby explosives, but he won't budge. Going back to the XMB and reloading the game doesn't seem to help either.

Was dissappointed with how how piss easy this game was. Apocalyptic was pretty on par with DS1's apoc.

Disappointed with the end ofthe game, and the rampant lock ups.
Love this series, but hoped for a lot more story wise. Platinum'd it just now, was fun, but frustrating when it locks up. Also had the Arbiters Maze bug, where I could NOT go in. Id touch the book and lockup everytime. So that was awesome.

All in all 8/10 game for me. Looking forward to a third, if its after 1. If not, I'll wait fo rimpressions.

Did you just save up weapons till you were level 30 and then go nuts?

neoism

You can.

If Upgrade is red, it means that item is fully upgraded.

Are you clicking on the right possessed weapon?

no pc version I tried last night.... If I have a possessed weapon at 9% health steal how do I get the stat on another less shity weapon. its like the 4 stats on the weapon I have 17% crit chance and 43 health on crit... I will lose one or the other right.... I got to level 30 crucible easily last night funnn....

Bullshit. Some of the
soul split and portal
puzzles can be pretty tricky.

Not really.
The hardest thing about the soul split was figuring out the range of the clones. That doesn't exactly involve a lot of thinking. The portal stuff was substantially easier than in the first game. Vigil doesn't even let you figure out the most difficult part about the portals this time; the fact that you can shoot a portal through a portal appears in a tool tip.

I don't think I've ever seen people not complain about the camera in any game with this style of combat. >_>

This. the only action game I've ever had a problem with the camera to the extent that it's game breaking is x blades.

but I instinctively recenter the camera when it goes out of wack with the manual stick.

I'm amazed how some of you have completed the game so quickly. I'm still in the forge lands. (That said I rarely play more than 30 min at a time, too many other games to finish.)

Edit: If I do buy it, is there any noticeable difference between the 360/PS3 version?

I think you'll like it, it's filled to the brim with Zelda-esque dungeons, they've played with their structure a little, though and they don't always culminate in a boss battle; you're also not getting a new tool in every dungeon.

Top Bottom