• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

i feel dumb ,but i didn't get the ending at all (yes i played DS1)

someone care to explain?

Death sacrifices himself and the nephiliem to save humanity. While he falls and is about to die War breaks the seal, therefore summoning all the horsemen. We don't know if humanity was saved or not.......probably not.

Archpath1

Death sacrifices himself and the nephiliem to save humanity. While he falls and is about to die War breaks the seal, therefore summoning all the horsemen. We don't know if humanity was saved or not.......probably not.

ah ok i had a hunch it was like that, just needed clarification, thanks : )

I guess a next patch is inevitable, since they let little mistakes like this pass by:

ibswEOr406MQcs.jpg

Still, I'm really enjoying the game but I wish they could somehow increase performance (although it has great performance) and include PC Graphic options such as AF or AA and maybe SSAO.

Still, what an awesome game!

Duffyside

Banned
Is there a reason to choose just one path, Harbinger or Necromancer? I've just been reading what each power does and choosing the one that seems the best for me at the time...

Duffyside

Banned
The RPG and weapon crafting elements of the game eventually eliminate any sort of challenge in the game, unfortunately.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's your reward for putting in all that time, and I can see people not wanting to continue diving into the combat after all those hours -- just wanting to tear through any annoyances in their quest to complete the last bits of the game. However, if one does really love the combat that much, all they have to do is use a lesser weapon. I think it's great design.

Got stuck now for a second time.

Pretty sure I'm near the end ->
I've put together the three parts of the rod that were scattered on Earth, went back to the spire, who sent my flying away to the citadel. There I just picked up my voidwalking ability (at long last!), have activated maybe one or two pairs of portals (including the one where you toss a bomb through to the corruption you see beyond the portal) and am trying to work my way through that area - a mix of broken architecture and platforms with a few switches, pullies, and soul duplicate challenges.

Here's the thing. I've jumped down into one of those underground areas that have the circular doors on their roof (pulling a lever opened this up, and this is the second one I've dropped into now). This area in particular has two voidwalking sigils, one of the floor at the end of one hall, and one along the wall along a side passage. If I jump through the portal on the ground I just pop back out to the side hall. If I go through the portal on the wall, it shoots me out of the flow of the other portal, but there's nothing to do at this point mid-air. I don't get to grab a ledge, use my ghost grab, or interact with anything at all.

Been running through this area for a while now before calling it quits - there just doesn't seem to be anything to interact with besides those two portals, and the area itself is so small that I'm pretty sure I have everything covered.

Anybody else run into this? I don't really need the solution, but maybe a hint, or even enough to know that this isn't a bug. I can provide some pics of the area if needed.

Got stuck now for a second time.

Pretty sure I'm near the end ->
I've put together the three parts of the rod that were scattered on Earth, went back to the spire, who sent my flying away to the citadel. There I just picked up my voidwalking ability (at long last!), have activated maybe one or two pairs of portals (including the one where you toss a bomb through to the corruption you see beyond the portal) and am trying to work my way through that area - a mix of broken architecture and platforms with a few switches, pullies, and soul duplicate challenges.

Here's the thing. I've jumped down into one of those underground areas that have the circular doors on their roof (pulling a lever opened this up, and this is the second one I've dropped into now). This area in particular has two voidwalking sigils, one of the floor at the end of one hall, and one along the wall along a side passage. If I jump through the portal on the ground I just pop back out to the side hall. If I go through the portal on the wall, it shoots me out of the flow of the other portal, but there's nothing to do at this point mid-air. I don't get to grab a ledge, use my ghost grab, or interact with anything at all.

Been running through this area for a while now before calling it quits - there just doesn't seem to be anything to interact with besides those two portals, and the area itself is so small that I'm pretty sure I have everything covered.

Anybody else run into this? I don't really need the solution, but maybe a hint, or even enough to know that this isn't a bug. I can provide some pics of the area if needed.

Not sure if that's it, but
have you tried charging (hold portal button before shooting it) the portal so it shoots you out with a high velocity?

Not sure if that's it, but
have you tried charging (hold portal button before shooting it) the portal so it shoots you out with a high velocity?
Thank you! That absolutely did it and I probably wouldn't have found it on my own since I had tutorials turned off - they were bugging me. Unfortunately that also means I didn't know some of the weird control options when using that ability.

Thanks again for that.

Thank you! That absolutely did it and I probably wouldn't have found it on my own since I had tutorials turned off - they were bugging me. Unfortunately that also means I didn't know some of the weird control options when using that ability.

Thanks again for that.

Yeah, I had the feeling you'd only miss the solution to that "puzzle" if the game didn't tell you. In fact, that is the very area this mechanic is explained to you. :)

That's why I'm mixed about the damn ending.

The
Death gives Life theme
would have been nice.
He got summoned anyway so there's no point. Also, why did he take his mask off?

The
Death gives Life theme
would have been nice.

Style over substance. The whole thing was supposed to make you go "DAMN THAT'S SO COOL", and ignore the fact that
nothing actually happened.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is there a reason to choose just one path, Harbinger or Necromancer? I've just been reading what each power does and choosing the one that seems the best for me at the time...

If you just focus on one path you could also just focus on strength/arcane instead of splitting them. I'm not that worried about it and have a lot of points in both.

I was really enjoying this until the
Guardian boss battle
. By far, the worst boss battle I've ever encountered in a game, it's just terrible. So bad that I'm seriously considering just not playing any more. Who in the blue hell though this was a good design or choice for a boss battle? Jesus Christ.

Guardian boss battle
. By far, the worst boss battle I've ever encountered in a game, it's just terrible. So bad that I'm seriously considering just not playing any more. Who in the blue hell though this was a good design or choice for a boss battle? Jesus Christ.

What were your problems with it? For most people, that's one of the high points in the game.

Guardian boss battle

It took me about 20 minutes of frustration till I realised you have to shoot the balls he throws at you.

Has anyone found some areas are too tough at your current level. I went to the Scar after the Guardian fight and got my ass kicked and had to leave. Not a great feeling.

Also I just finished the Tree of Life and got to the new area. How far am I?

Monocle

What were your problems with it? For most people, that's one of the high points in the game.
I didn't like it as much as I might have because I kept getting knocked off my stupid horse in phase 1, and in phase 2 I was continually frustrated by the awkward horse and camera/aiming controls. It's a cool battle on paper but I spent the whole time raging.

It took me about 20 minutes of frustration till I realised you have to shoot the balls he throws at you.
It was probably worse for me, because I knew exactly what to do but for a long time I couldn't manage to do it.

Has anyone found some areas are too tough at your current level. I went to the Scar after the Guardian fight and got my ass kicked and had to leave. Not a great feeling.
I like when adventure games have enemies who will trounce you until you've built up your character. It's way better than Oblivion-style autoleveling bullshit where you never run into more than you can handle. There's a real sense of accomplishment when you blaze through an area that once presented a deadly challenge.

You're a little less than 1/3 in.

I didn't like it as much as I might have because I kept getting knocked off my stupid horse in phase 1, and in phase 2 I was continually frustrated by the awkward horse and camera/aiming controls. It's a cool battle on paper but I spent the whole time raging.

It was probably worse for me, because I knew exactly what to do but for a long time I couldn't manage to do it.

I like when adventure games have enemies who will trounce you until you've built up your character. It's way better than Oblivion-style autoleveling bullshit where you never run into more than you can handle. There's a real sense of accomplishment when you blaze through an area that once presented a deadly challenge.

You're a little less than 1/3 in.

Yeah, I guess it's fine. I'll level up soon enough and go back and make them rue the day.

Man, 1/3? This game is massive.

Gonna be one of those day. Lots of bitchin. Down to 3 pages for the final Book of the Dead. Why is there not a way to help find you missing collectibles. I've watched countless videos and I cannot find where I'm missing the last 3. so very frustrating.

Selner

I had a similar experience. I was not quite yelling at the screen, trying to figure out what to do. At first I was trying to "lead" the balls to run into the boss, but they weren't really following me, and that just led to me getting stomped on.

The death scene was very cool though.

The more frustrating boss battle for me was the construct hulk boss (the one before the Warden) that you have to throw bombs at. I just could not get the timing down to pick up the bombs.
Had my first non-envirnomental death at that boss :p .

Dahbomb

I see all this overepowered weapons and I wonder: is there a even a challenge? Does the game promotes a varied combat, like DMC? Can you play on hard from the start and does it help?
Its decently challenging starting off in Apoc and the difficulty varies. Once you start getting steal weapons and you choose to use those stats game then becomes about making Death an unstoppable beast. It basically becomes the equivalent of playing Super Dante if you know what I mean. If you want to retain some challenge, ignore steal weapons.

Its decently challenging starting off in Apoc and the difficulty varies. Once you start getting steal weapons and you choose to use those stats game then becomes about making Death an unstoppable beast. It basically becomes the equivalent of playing Super Dante if you know what I mean. If you want to retain some challenge, ignore steal weapons.

Are steal weapons the yellow colored ones, also I love feeling badass, this is fracking death, as long as the gameplay is great, Im loving it.

Dahbomb

No they are regular stats but they are fairly rare. The legendary weapons Black Demise and Lich Spines have health/wrath steal respectively.

Zoibie

Happy to hear it's doing well, I'm playing the console version and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. However, does anyone else find the camera a bit bothersome? I just wish it was a bit more passive: if I'm moving and I move the camera along the y axis to admire some of the game's beautiful scenery, I don't want it to return to the centre half a second later. Was it like this in the first game?

But yeah, that minor gripe aside, I'm having a great time with the game. The OST in particular is fantastic.

The
Death gives Life theme
would have been nice.

Because he was about to kill himself. He was no longer Death, so he didn't need the mask. He was just sacrificing himself with the other nephlihem. Of course this all changes when War breaks the seal. Maybe in the next game we will see if without the mask

Hey GAF, can somebody tell me how to cicle through my RT button items (like the Pistol and Gauntlet).

I remember that when fighting
The Guardian (First Colossus)
there was a tutorial popup that told me how to do that withouth pressing down on the control pad, but I wasn't able to read it!

The only thing I think they could've done a lot better are those tutorial popups... they feel intrusive and are not intuitive at all! Besides that, I'm loving every second of the game!

I noticed a few people mentioning weapon crafting...how/when you gain the option to do this? I just finished the fight in the arena. Do I need to go somewhere to unlock the option or do a sidequest for someone?

Dahbomb

You need to find recipe plans in the wild for the really good ones. Yesterday I got a 5 property ilvl62 Daibo plan. I didn't decide to sell it and instead gave it to my Blacksmith to learn. I also have a Flesh Ripper WD Plan.

Hey GAF, can somebody tell me how to cicle through my RT button items (like the Pistol and Gauntlet).

there was a tutorial popup that told me how to do that withouth pressing down on the control pad, but I wasn't able to read it!

The only thing I think they could've done a lot better are those tutorial popups... they feel intrusive and are not intuitive at all! Besides that, I'm loving every second of the game!

Press down on the D-pad then pick the item on the radial menu with the analog stick.

WHICH BY THE WAY IS KIND OF DUMB

Not the idea, but the fact that reaper form toggle is just in between items is really silly. I have wasted some reaper energy by accidentally choosing that.

You need to find recipe plans in the wild for the really good ones. Yesterday I got a 5 property ilvl62 Daibo plan. I didn't decide to sell it and instead gave it to my Blacksmith to learn. I also have a Flesh Ripper WD Plan.

Ah, thanks.

Guess I'll go hunting for some tomorrow.

Would love it if there was a simple toggle. Many puzzles require you to swap between those items.

At least you don't have to have your Ghost Grip equipped to grab at the Glowy-Orb-Flingy-things. Its context sensitive for platforming.

Press down on the D-pad then pick the item on the radial menu with the analog stick.

WHICH BY THE WAY IS KIND OF DUMB

Not the idea, but the fact that reaper form toggle is just in between items is really silly. I have wasted some reaper energy by accidentally choosing that.

I have too =(

Would love it if there was a simple toggle. Many puzzles require you to swap between those items.

At least you don't have to have your Ghost Grip equipped to grab at the Glowy-Orb-Flingy-things. Its context sensitive for platforming.

That's true, but I often use it to fight!

And after watching some youtube videos of the fight, the only tutorial hint that appears at the fight is that "You can grab to this points with the Deathgrip", but for some reason I remembered reading how to easily toggle between items.

Too bad I have to enter the "down pad menu"...

KevinCow

Banned

Press d-pad down to bring up the radial menu.

Point to the weapon you want with the stick, but don't press A.

Hold LB and press any of the face buttons.

You can now quick swap to that weapon without opening the radial menu by just pressing LB plus that face button.

forrest

formerly nacire
Ah, thanks.

Guess I'll go hunting for some tomorrow.

Looks like his post was meant for the Diablo 3 thread :p

You have to find possessed weapons if you want to craft something. Once you find a possessed weapon you'll find that you can sacrifice other weapons and armor to it, to essentially level it up. Each time you level the weapon you'll get the option to imbue the possessed weapon with one of the stats that you "fed" it. Possessed weapons can be leveled up a total of 5 times before they are maxed out. However you can only assign 4 stat attributes to a possessed weapon in total.

I totally agree and up on the dpad is going completely unused. They should allow you to assign "up" to multiple items and then pressing up simply toggles through said items.

Press d-pad down to bring up the radial menu.

Point to the weapon you want with the stick, but don't press A.

Hold LB and press any of the face buttons.

You can now quick swap to that weapon without opening the radial menu by just pressing LB plus that face button.

I saw someone doing that on youtube, but then again I lose my other abilities! I guess I'll have to compromise something in the end!

Same here. Its my go-to dirty trick. Just love pulling enemies and getting an opening, or pulling myself up close to the bigger bosses to unleash a combo in their face after spending the rest of the time dodging their attacks.

YEAH! I like that doing that too! It feels pretty badass!

BTW, I haven't read through this entire thread so I don't know GAF stance on this, but personally I love how the combat in this game feels! It's not complicated at all (just button delays) and still it feels solid, there's a lot of variety and depending on the weapon, it feels like the hits are heavy! That's one thing I really like about this game! Combat!

BTW, I haven't read through this entire thread so I don't know GAF stance on this, but personally I love how the combat in this game feels! It's not complicated at all (just button delays) and still it feels solid, there's a lot of variety and depending on the weapon, it feels like the hits are heavy! That's one thing I really like about this game! Combat!
Since switching from heavy maces and axes (for 80% of the game) to claws, holy shit am I a whirling dervish of death and mayhem. Combat is so damn precise and fluid and rewarding.

neoism

The RPG and weapon crafting elements of the game eventually eliminate any sort of challenge in the game, unfortunately.

yeah I'm not using my good weapons on my new game + play through unless I die a lot of a boss or something really takes the challenge out completely....

Top Bottom