• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I really think the game would have been so much better if they had cut some of the fat from the missions. Collecting the three ghosts for the LoB was grating enough, but then having to collect an additional three for the judge or whatever his name was just taking it too far.

I also find Despair is slower than Ruin, not sure why but it's very noticeable. Apart from that, I'm very much enjoying it, would be nice if you could carry more health vials and the game had resurrection stones, but I've pretty much nailed the dodge system, still get hit a few times and those are often more than enough to make a dent but that's more my fault than the games.

Also, many thanks for the info about possessed weapons. had 5 in my inventory, all of which I've maxed out and now feel somewhat OP against lesser enemies, the bigger enemies still present a decent challenge though.

Dahbomb

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion at all, game has legit pacing issues. They could've cut some content from the first two worlds, removed that one segment later on and added the cut content in the later two worlds just with a different tileset and puzzle tools.That game would've flowed much better.

JohngPR

Decided to just restart my game. Now that they fixed some of the game progression bugs, I hope I don't come across them again.

My bud was kind enough to volunteer regifting my possessed Scythe to me so I don't lose it. :)

Loving this game, till I got to Earth. Who put Gears of War in my Darksiders? I had to force myself to finish this level. Hope there is no more levels like this.

I found the trick to that level was to not even acknowledge that there was a gun. Most of the enemies died pretty easily to your scythes

I found the trick to that level was to not even acknowledge that there was a gun. Most of the enemies died pretty easily to your scythes
I tried that for a while but those multi-legged flying howler monkeys that go hulk smash on you kicked my ass pretty quick. I could take them out but I'd have to potion gulp to do so - they're very quick.

Smack Fu

Was going to send someone on my friends list a item for that easy achievement, but none of my friends like good games I guess.
Someone give me a name that can receive a gift (that has the game and THQ account, its going to be a POS one, just for the achievement).

Duffyside

Banned
I hate this Deposed King battle. I have to be about five body-lengths away from him on his big downward swing, and it still catches me, puts me in ice, and depletes all my health immediately. I even tried playing with an item with a +100 resistance, and still dead immediately.

Really dislike these side dungeons (Gorewood too) in which you breeze on through, only to get destroyed by the boss. Then, there are the opposites (The Scar), where the standard enemies have a higher difficulty which leads me to believe the boss will be impossible, only to find they're a pushover. I don't like either, but the second is WAY better than the first.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I hate this Deposed King battle. I have to be about five body-lengths away from him on his big downward swing, and it still catches me, puts me in ice, and depletes all my health immediately.

Are you evading backwards or sideways? You should rarely get hit on his downward swings if you're evading sideways, he's really only difficult to dodge when he starts doing his tornado attack at about half health.

Duffyside

Banned
Are you evading backwards or sideways? You should rarely get hit on his downward swings if you're evading sideways, he's really only difficult to dodge when he starts doing his tornado attack at about half health.

Sideways. I wouldn't care if it didn't sap my entire health bar, not even letting me pop a potion when I come out of the ice block. I'm level 15, and surprised that's not enough.

Sideways. I wouldn't care if it didn't sap my entire health bar, not even letting me pop a potion when I come out of the ice block. I'm level 15, and surprised that's not enough.
If your build is Harbinger, I would just teleport slash towards him just as he winds up for his big smash. It will put you behind him, and let you wail on him while his mace is stuck in the ground. I beat him easily doing this.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I really think the game would have been so much better if they had cut some of the fat from the missions. Collecting the three ghosts for the LoB was grating enough, but then having to collect an additional three for the judge or whatever his name was just taking it too far.

I also find Despair is slower than Ruin, not sure why but it's very noticeable. Apart from that, I'm very much enjoying it, would be nice if you could carry more health vials and the game had resurrection stones, but I've pretty much nailed the dodge system, still get hit a few times and those are often more than enough to make a dent but that's more my fault than the games.

Also, many thanks for the info about possessed weapons. had 5 in my inventory, all of which I've maxed out and now feel somewhat OP against lesser enemies, the bigger enemies still present a decent challenge though.

I would be really, really surprised if the developers did not realize the insanity (and inanity) of constantly collecting "three" of something.

Which means they did not have the option of being more varied.

I think games should try their best to not to lay out things like "three objects to go" and whatnot. I just finished the new Transformers, and you see how many levels there are right from the start. I hate that. No matter how much fun I'm having, I'm still counting down from there; so in a weird way I'm just striving for the end instead of enjoying the ride.

If that makes any sense.

That attack is very inconsistent, you can be in the same place every time but sometimes you'll be fine, and sometimes you'll get encased in ice, his tornado is bullshit as well.

Vyse

Gold Member
Was going to send someone on my friends list a item for that easy achievement, but none of my friends like good games I guess.
Someone give me a name that can receive a gift (that has the game and THQ account, its going to be a POS one, just for the achievement).

Vyse

I wouldn't go to the Deposed King before level 20.

I managed it at 14. I did it by not getting hit.

SO HERE IS THE THING ABOUT THE DEPOSED KING.

The attack box of the big swing (the one that will freeze you and puts him in the stuck state) pushes out like a wave. The box is smaller to your left/his right (the club arm) and bigger on the right. So always dodge left. If you dodge too early, you will get hit. If you dodge too late, you will get hit. Figuring out the timing will take practice.

He will only do the big swing after some other attacks. Usually he will do three attacks (two immediate swings which you can hit him during but not after - these count as two attacks usually). He can also breathe ice (easy to avoid), charge (if he slams his shield down or even looks like he's not doing any other attack, just start dodging away), or use his spin move. To avoid the spin move, start running for the other side of the room and dodge backwards when he gets near. You may have to dodge all three times but you shouldn't get hit.

So, basically, keep your distance from him, dodge to his left when he comes up at you for the bigswing, then combo him. I would usually pop the strengthening wrath move when I saw him approaching for the attack, but it's probably not necessary.

After enough practice, it should be easy to beat the Deposed King early.

Vyse

Gold Member

The attack box of the big swing (the one that will freeze you and puts him in the stuck state) pushes out like a wave. The box is smaller to your left/his right (the club arm) and bigger on the right. So always dodge left. If you dodge too early, you will get hit. If you dodge too late, you will get hit. Figuring out the timing will take practice.

He will only do the big swing after some other attacks. Usually he will do three attacks (two immediate swings which you can hit him during but not after - these count as two attacks usually). He can also breathe ice (easy to avoid), charge (if he slams his shield down or even looks like he's not doing any other attack, just start dodging away), or use his spin move. To avoid the spin move, start running for the other side of the room and dodge backwards when he gets near. You may have to dodge all three times but you shouldn't get hit.

So, basically, keep your distance from him, dodge to his left when he comes up at you for the bigswing, then combo him. I would usually pop the strengthening wrath move when I saw him approaching for the attack, but it's probably not necessary.

Agreed. I took him out at level 16.

CTE

I guess if you wanted to, you could play and play until you got him.

Not getting hit at all is a tall order when it comes to that battle, though. Teleport slash helps.

I'm not the best at this dodging system, though. I get hit at least a few times in most boss battles.

Edit - I tried at 15 and didn't do it after a half dozen tries, so I came back later. Did it at level 19, but I hit level 20 after beating him. So it was almost level 20, basically.

I would just wait til you're level 20, you can't use his weapon before that anyways, I wish I knew that before I fought him at like level 13.

Duffyside

Banned
If your build is Harbinger, I would just teleport slash towards him just as he winds up for his big smash. It will put you behind him, and let you wail on him while his mace is stuck in the ground. I beat him easily doing this.

I would just wait til you're level 20, you can't use his weapon before that anyways, I wish I knew that before I fought him at like level 13.

Great information all. Thanks a bunch!

I've gotten him to almost a third health before. And I'm not scared of being hit, even by the tornado... it's the ice cube swing that just totally destroys me.

Will try again with the knowledge of his hit box and the dash-wrath thing. If I don't get him in a few tries, I'll come back in a couple levels or few.

Would be nice to know how much experience I can gain from an uneven boss fight like this, though...

I hate this Deposed King battle. I have to be about five body-lengths away from him on his big downward swing, and it still catches me, puts me in ice, and depletes all my health immediately. I even tried playing with an item with a +100 resistance, and still dead immediately.
The thing that bugs me about the deposed king is that his shield has a singular shiny, glowey bit to the center of it, like the game is just asking me to ghost-grab the thing, pull it aside, and wail on his tender innards, but I never could manage anything of the sort.

His shield just begs you to do something clever to it, but its just a troll, like Batman having his bright bat symbol on the most armored part of his chest. Unless I'm missing something of course.

Finished the game.

I really enjoyed the puzzles, battle system, platforming, looting and music.

done all the side quests except the collectible stones.

however i hated all in 3 quests. collect 3..., beat 3 ...., save 3 ...., you need 3.... , and some story issues. but at the end it was enjoyable good game.

however i hated all in 3 quests. collect 3..., beat 3 ...., save 3 ...., you need 3.... , and some story issues. but at the end it was enjoyable good game.
You know, I honestly didn't mind that stuff, because it just meant there was more cool stuff for me to fight and explore. The bite sized chunks also meant that if I was strapped for time I could do maybe one or two of whatever the three things I was being asked to do and call it a night. And on a weekend or whenever I had more time I could try to finish a whole quest-line off in one sitting, and still feel satisfied. So at least on that account I think its pretty clever design.

Where it hurt was in overall story motivation. Its begins as "get to the tree", but as you get closer to the tree it breaks into a million tiny sub quests of meeting the person who knows the way to the guy who has three dudes he needs you to find to get to the castle with three keys to find the three pieces of whatever the fuck to do something else, and without a solid fictional basis just feels like busy work, even though that is exactly the stuff we buy these games to experience. All in all I think it would be better story and world wise if the player didn't seem to get cock-blocked from the one central objective at all turns.

Duffyside

Banned
Thanks again for the help on the Deposed King. Knowing the hit box on his swing was the biggest help, as was knowing that approaching with the Dash-attack thing can help in a pinch. But yeah, as long as that big ice swing didn't get me, I could get past him.

And I learned an important bit of info in the process, maybe; when beating a boss like that, you only gain your next level and that's it. I was almost to level 16, beat the guy (in a long battle) and then got to 16 with literally no extra experience. So... try and go do those fights when you've just reached another level, I guess.

It is POSSIBLE that this is just a coincidence, and that was all the XP to gain from the fight. But that's hard to believe, considering he was level 20 and I was 15. If I beat a guy like that I should get a TON of experience, right?

forrest

formerly nacire
You know, I honestly didn't mind that stuff, because it just meant there was more cool stuff for me to fight and explore. The bite sized chunks also meant that if I was strapped for time I could do maybe one or two of whatever the three things I was being asked to do and call it a night. And on a weekend or whenever I had more time I could try to finish a whole quest-line off in one sitting, and still feel satisfied. So at least on that account I think its pretty clever design.

Where it hurt was in overall story motivation. Its begins as "get to the tree", but as you get closer to the tree it breaks into a million tiny sub quests of meeting the person who knows the way to the guy who has three dudes he needs you to find to get to the castle with three keys to find the three pieces of whatever the fuck to do something else, and without a solid fictional basis just feels like busy work, even though that is exactly the stuff we buy these games to experience. All in all I think it would be better story and world wise if the player didn't seem to get cock-blocked from the one central objective at all turns.

You have summed up my feelings nicely.

Ambitious

Finally started playing it, I'm just about half an hour in.
What are those green glowing stone plates? I seem to have read over or missed the explanation. They're displayed right next to the currency on the stats screen.

persongr

That's why I'm mixed about the damn ending.

The
Death gives Life theme
would have been nice.
He got summoned anyway so there's no point. Also, why did he take his mask off?

I think you're wrong here.

I don't know if you saw it, but there is an extra scene after the credits end, which directly implies that the nephilim are dead, and "Man" is back in the balance. I was disappointed by the "let's give 'em something abiguous in case we dont make a darksiders 3" ending, but after that scene, I smiled.

ithorien

Just started playing after going through the original again, and I'm pretty disappointed. I don't like the changes they made in relation to resource regeneration, dodging, executions etc.

I got to the Lost Temple last night and found the difficulty to absolutely spike out of control. I haven't had a single issue with anything before hand, but this dungeon is where things started to get a bit out of hand for me.

Do you guys have any good suggestions for health regen or have any good guides you're using? I played DS1 on apoc without issues and this game's kicking my ass.

RPG

Finally started playing it, I'm just about half an hour in.
What are those green glowing stone plates? I seem to have read over or missed the explanation. They're displayed right next to the currency on the stats screen.
They're called Boatman Coins and used solely in trade w/ Vulgrim (you'll encounter him in specific areas) to get a specific tier random loot chest.

I finished yesterday and definitely enjoyed this game, the core of the game is solid, the combat is fun, the puzzles are finely crafted and my favorite part of the game. The soundtrack is fantastic, it has a great art style and some amazing skyboxes, specifically the devil world and forge lands.

Earth definitely hurt a lot and so did feeling like and errand boy in world 2 but things picked up in the final worlds, they had some of my favorite puzzles in the game, I expected to dislike it based on some comments earlier.

Some notes are
-Too many performance problems, bad screen tearing, framerate drops, sound cutting out (usually during hectic combat) and freezing.
-Platforming not too responsive, too many times are you pressing buttons while death does nothing.
-Invisible walls *shakes fist*
-Would really benefit by trimming some fat.

JohngPR

Yay...the statue actually showed up this time! No glitch!

darksiders2_2012_08_34ns71.png

This is exactly how I feel. Darksiders was AMAZING for the first 6 hours. After that, felt like a chore. Still love the game to death for its art...but I dont think I'll be replaying it anytime soon (if ever)

bryanee

I finally got around to finishing it. I really enjoyed it but I do prefer the first game. I do hope if they do a third it will pick where the first game finished. I was not a fan of the stories running pretty much at the same time.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm gonna post some story thoughts in here, since the story thread is basically dead. Sorry in advance about the big black block of spoiler text.

The main problem with the story, even more than not building on the amazing ending of the first game, is that it's just so scatter-brained. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to accomplish. It's just Death running around, being an errand boy until the end just kinda happens.

The way I see it, these are the major points of the story:

1) Death feels a bit of guilt for killing off the rest of the nephilim. After ages of the Horsemen being the only remaining nephilim, he suddenly encounters Absalom/Corruption.

2) Death wants to bring back humanity so that War would be spared.

3) A conflict between the first two points: Death can bring back either the nephilim or the humans, but after he makes this choice, the other will be lost forever.

4) Lilith seems to be pulling Death's strings a bit. She - or whoever she's working for - wants him to reach the Well of Souls, and wants him to choose the nephilim.

The problem with the story is that maybe 1% of the game is spent focusing on these points. The rest is just Death running around and doing stuff because the game told you to run around and do stuff.

I feel like the story would have felt much more focused and satisfying if they'd changed just a few things:

1) Introduce point 3 much earlier. Not at the very end of the game, but more like the beginning. You go to meet Crowfather, he's crazy and turns into War and tries to kill you, you kill him. In his dying breath, he tells you to seek the Well of Souls, but that you'd have to choose between the humans and the nephilim.

Then they could have spent more time focusing on his inner conflict: Save the humans for War, or save the nephilim to atone for his past sins?

2) Lilith should've played a major role throughout the game. She should've basically played the same role Samael did in the first game, giving you help with your main quest, but clearly with her own ulterior motives. As her ultimate goal seems to be to revive the nephilim, I could see some interesting interactions where she'd try to push Death's buttons on the subject of the nephilim, subtly trying to sway his decision in that direction.

3) Absalom should've shown up earlier, and he should've shown up more often. Like you should've fought him two or three times throughout the game. He's a pretty major part of Death's story, so it's pretty lame that he only shows up like twice.

I could have seen the game going something like this:

- Death goes to the Crowfather. Crowfather is nuts. Turns into War and fights Death. In his dying breaths, he tells Death about the Well of Souls and how Death must choose between humans or nephilim. Then he sends Death to the Forge Lands.

- Death wakes up in the Forge Lands. He asks the Makers about the Well of Souls. They don't know shit, but if he makes it to the Tree of Life, he could go to other worlds and see if anyone else knows anything. But the way is blocked by corruption, so the forge needs to be repaired to create a weapon that can clear the way. So Death goes to repair the forge. But unlike the current game, this is just one dungeon.

- As Death completes the final step to repairing their forge, he's jumped by a big boss monster and kills it. Suddenly, Lilith appears. She tells Death that the creature was on her hit list, and asks Death if he wants to take care of the rest. He starts to blow her off, then she mentions that she knows how to reach the Well of Souls. She proposes a deal: Death takes care of her hit list, then she tells him how to get to the Well of Souls. Death accepts.

- Her first hit: the Bone Lord in the Kingdom of the Dead. Death gets the corruption-destroying weapon from the Makers and heads to the Tree of Life.

- As he arrives at the Tree of Life, he's drawn in and is suddenly in a fight with Corruption. Maybe this is a fight you're meant to lose. After losing, Death realizes that Corruption is Absalom. He then escapes into the Kingdom of the Dead - but by escaping, he also frees Corruption.

- Death meets Ostegoth, and learns from him that he can summon the Bone Lord's ship at Serpent's Peak. Unlike the current game, Serpent's Peak is a full-on dungeon. The amazing ship platforming sequence caps off the dungeon, and ends with a boss fight with the Bone Lord on the deck of his ship. MUCH more exciting and satisfying than the Bone Lord telling you to go kill his champion.

- The game continues with Death taking down Lilith's hits. Unlike the current game, this has you progressing through the worlds in a non-linear order. Not World 1, then World 2, then 3, then 4. But Dungeon 1 is in World 1, Dungeon 2 is in World 2, Dungeon 3 might be back in World 1, and so on.

- Throughout this, Death sees the damage that releasing Corruption has done, and occasionally interacts with him directly. Maybe expand on the corrupted angels concept. Have corrupt angels and demons working together. Maybe you encounter three-way fights between regular angels, regular demons, and corrupted angels and demons. Then instead of being the final boss, you take him down for good about two thirds of the way in.

- Lilith's final hit, and the game's final boss: Samael. However, he's grown too powerful in the present, so she sends Death to the past. Make that final dungeon much longer with much more elaborate past/present puzzles. And at the end, you find that Samael is still too powerful to defeat, so you end up imprisoning him - in the same prison that War releases him from in Darksiders 1.

- Immediately after returning to the present, Lilith transports you to the Well of Souls (which isn't in the Tree of Life). Final cutscene: Death makes his choice. He chooses War and humans over the nephilim.

Words words words.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just got through the Earth segment. Maybe this thread prepared me because I didn't think it was that bad, but it was overly long considering the enemy variety.

I fucking LOVE the Achinda gauntlets. Will the effect carry into a possessed weapon if I feed it?

still stuck with one page of the dead left. I really wish they had something like burnout paradise had where you could upload your save and it would show you stuff you were missing.

also finished the soul arbitors maze. Guess I should finish the game.

yarden24

he actually shows up in the crucible too, him being 10 levels above me, proceeded to hit me once when he had a quarter of his health, and that was 25 minutes of fighting gone =(

I just finished the game, enjoyed it, though there was some really bad padding at places, and the last world was super short, also the last boss was a joke, with my possessed scythes I killed him in 3 minutes without even getting hit =/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_TN10DROcY&feature=related this song as well as the guardian fight one are amazing though

Ricker

Man I love this game but some of the Boss fight are really bad because of the awful camera angles and all...the Gnashor Boss fight in particular is quite annoying...I have like 3 seconds to hurry back where i need to reach him to do what is needed?..jesus,this might take forever again,like the end of the ACT 1 fight...

def sim

I really liked this sequel despite there being very little story or much of a progression from the first at all. The ending
is pretty much the first one
, whoopty-doo. It's also a bit of a shame that apocalyptic was way too easy; this isn't a hard game at all.

I'll do NG+ when all DLC has been released. I hope I didn't waste my money on the season pass!

Hindle

Banned
They really need to work on pacing for the next game, and dam no more fetch quests.
The City of the dead dungeon is way too big.

Hindle

Banned
If anyone from Vigil is reading this then please could you patch in an item that shows the collectables on the map or how many we're missing in each area?

ironcreed

Banned
Something just occurred to me. Remember how the devs said that each of the individual worlds were bigger than the first Darksiders in it's entirety? Um... yeah.

Top Bottom