• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Jubbly

Why don't the developers of PC games include AF? Look at the mega difference Nvidia AF makes to the game...

Stock:

darksiders22012-08-28tuuri.png

Nvidia 16x High Quality AF:

darksiders22012-08-28louvm.png

AF is essentially a "free" effect nowadays, so struggling to fathom why it isn't included in every game.

BluWacky

Okay, I'm pretty much enjoying Darksiders 2 - it's more forgiving in battle than Darksiders 1, I like the (incredibly easy) traversal stuff, and it's a nice, totally undemanding way to spend some time gaming.

But man, the fetch quest structure is baaaad. Go find three things, then have one of the three things you're supposed to find make you go and find three OTHER things before you can get it? They could at least be two, or four, or something (especially as, without fail, the third "thing" you have to collect has always taken about ten seconds because Vigil ran out of level design ideas)? It just feels so... game-y, in a game that tries to take its plot relatively seriously.

JambiBum

So for whatever reason my fps took a huge shit on me today. Before the patch I was getting 140 frames. I started it up today and I'm barely getting 10. GTX 570. Anyone know what could cause it?

Meh, I think I'm shelving this game. Done with it for now.

Lost interest in it while in NG+

Full thoughts on it:

• Combat is improved and much more fast-paced from the first
• Lots of side dungeons and some cool ones, but not as good as some of the dungeons in DS1
• Not a lot of interesting puzzles or dungeon progression, some were just cookie cutter dungeon designs
• Level scaling done right - enemies are leveled just a little below your level when revisiting areas
• The story moves at a snail's pace - not much progression to the series' story at all
• Anti-climatic ending and a terribly easy final boss fight
• Some freezing, frame rate and screen tearing issues on PS3, plus other environmental glitches - needs to be fixed

Improvement for the next game:

• Collectible tracker by area
• Instead of making all of these side dungeons, focus on the main bigger dungeons with better puzzles and level progression
• Gunplay needs to be refined if going with Strife

Smack Fu

Loving this game, till I got to Earth. Who put Gears of War in my Darksiders? I had to force myself to finish this level. Hope there is no more levels like this.

Finally started playing this recently. I just finished the second dungeon and I'm having an overall good time so far. I really like the platforming, traversal around the areas feels smooth and fun, but there's enough of a challenge so that it doesn't feel like Uncharted auto-platforming.

My biggest complaint right now is that it seems so far that they've taken out the Zelda-like atmosphere of dungeons in favor of loot. I really like having special items that come into play for each dungeon, and instead of getting new items in the dungeons you get loot and then a more awesome loot for beating the boss. The first dungeon's boss didn't even feel like a dungeon boss, I thought it was a mini-boss and was expecting to get some awesome special item and then fight the boss, when I realized the dungeon was over I actually was disappointed. At least the second dungeon's boss actually felt like a boss.

So for whatever reason my fps took a huge shit on me today. Before the patch I was getting 140 frames. I started it up today and I'm barely getting 10. GTX 570. Anyone know what could cause it?

I have a similar issue, the game ran at 2560x1440/60fps but after the patch I get some drops, have no idea why!

Feindflug

The game tested my patience yesterday with the "find 3 guys, went to the third guy and said find 3 more guys for me"...especially the last dungeon is crap - "got this soul? ok there's a stupidly small arena, have fun with the useless dodge move, our particle effects and stupid camera so you can't see shit plus there's always our shitty frame-rate!"... the enemies take a LOT of hits to die at this point making the battles feels like a chore and the game is not giving any health & wraith potions while continues to give me crappy weapons.

I still can't understand how this was made by the same people that made the excellent first game...I don't think I'll bother with the game anymore, time to sell this and start something that is fun for a change.

Somebody doesn't understand that collectibles aren't supposed to be easy to find.

http://kotaku.com/5938654/darksiders-ii-is-incredibly-frustrating-for-the-ocd-gamer
But if the only way you're going to find all of them is using a guide, what's the point?
Also, who made the rule that they shouldn't be easy to find? Darksiders 2 doesn't give you any hints on the location, and doesn't even give you a area/world checklist. That's just frustrating, archaic and stupid design.

EDIT: The artice is complainging about some very stupid shit though, not even about the difficulty of finding the collectibles. He's basically angry that he has OCD.

Somebody doesn't understand that collectibles aren't supposed to be easy to find.

http://kotaku.com/5938654/darksiders-ii-is-incredibly-frustrating-for-the-ocd-gamer

He is not complaining about collectibles being hard to find. He is complaining about the fact that getting every single collectible in your first playthrough is pretty much impossible, especially so when 'said dungeon' is locked after a certain story progression. Not only that but the fact that New Game+ completely wipes everything you have taken, makes playing this game again a very big chore and that is where most people will just stop. I agree with Kotaku on this one.

RPG

He is not complaining about collectibles being hard to find. He is complaining about the fact that getting every single collectible in your first playthrough is pretty much impossible, especially so when 'said dungeon' is locked after a certain story progression. Not only that but the fact that New Game+ completely wipes everything you have taken, makes playing this game again a very big chore and that is where most people will just stop. I agree with Kotaku on this one.

Which dungeon are they talking about being locked out of because of abilities?

EDIT: The artice is complainging about some very stupid shit though, not even about the difficulty of finding the collectibles. He's basically angry that he has OCD.
That's kind of what I got out of it.

First two worlds: Here's a large area, explore!
Last two worlds: Lol, exploration? Enjoy your jot down this corridor!

PS where did my story and ending go?

Which dungeon are they talking about being locked out of because of abilities?

I don't know. I'm not even sure that's true. PS3trophies.org says there are no missable trophies, so I guess he's wrong, which makes his rant even more stupid.
EDIT: Yeah, he's wrong. Every collectible is accessible at every point in the game. (You can miss Legendery Weapons though, if you have a full inventory when you're supposed to get them.)

I think this is a horrible complaint. DS2 already has more content than most games I've played this generation.

I can understand his complaint.

The last two worlds just felt rushed in comparison with the first. You get treated with a sweet chocolate filling and the end of the ice-cream tastes mediocre.

I think this is a horrible complaint. DS2 already has more content than most games I've played this generation.

It's not really. It's all about pacing and that's horrid in DS2. Especially after the relatively incredible long first two worlds you get a horrible paced section followed by 2 small dungeons before ending the game. Padding extra content does not make the game better compared to the smaller, more focused experience of DS1 (and even that had flaws in the ed-game fetch quest), which imo made it a more enjoyable experience than this on that front.

Also, the fact that there is no (endgame/sidequest) item that shows all collectibles is sad, archaic game design. These aren't the NES days anymore

The game builds up so well and has a great beginning, then throws everything away and literally becomes a corridor shooter.

That's a very valid complaint, even if the game was twice as big.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nope. You just need to think differently about how to solve the puzzles.

How?

There's 2 chests I can't get in the Judicator's Tomb because I need to pass through bars, and the Soul Splitter can't do that and I can't get passed the first puzzle.

How?

There's 2 chests I can't get in the Judicator's Tomb because I need to pass through bars, and the Soul Splitter can't do that and I can't get passed the first puzzle.

Random loot chests are definitely missable, but that's not really a problem unless you're really OCD.

RPG

How?

Oh those? Yeah, you can't get to them. But, the 'gap puzzle' in the same room is doable, just not in the original way. That's the puzzle I'm assuming they think they're 'locked out' by.

Wiseblood

Yeah, but how do I clear the gap puzzle?

You need to come back with the void walker. You can see one portal panel when you look down the gap and another above the switches. For the one above the switches you need to charge it up so you shoot over the grate.

The game is kind of going out on a wimper,
earth
was a terrible level, and now I'm at the
ivory citadel
and it's okay, but the performance is awful.

RPG

Yeah, but how do I clear the gap puzzle?
Pull the lever that raises the first immobile pedestal, use it to climb onto the taller mobile pedestal, Soul Split, have a copy drag the pedestal to the other edge, revert and viola.

EDIT: Heck, you don't even need to pull the lever. Just slide the mobile pedestal to the edge, climb on top, Soul Split and then drag your statued self across.

forrest

formerly nacire
The amount of content is good but that's not the point.

Assuming that 4 locations being present automatically means that they will all be equal in size seems to be the problem here.

The game is kind of going out on a wimper,
earth
was a terrible level, and now I'm at the
ivory citadel
and it's okay, but the performance is awful.

Earth
was definitely the weakest part of the game, but the
Ivory Citadel
was one of my favorite dungeons, despite the performance hits. I only noticed one real area of the dungeon that gave me frame rate problems though.

I'm at the
Bone Lord level. Trying to open the gate to the arena.
I absolutely loved the first Darksiders, but this one is kinda boring me. No real progression, story-wise its slow as hell, no wow moments for me. I absolutely love it visually, but gameplay-wise it's pretty much a bore with the same old gameplay set-up.

So, does it get better? :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Why don't the developers of PC games include AF? Look at the mega difference Nvidia AF makes to the game...

Stock:

http://www.abload.de/img/darksiders22012-08-28tuuri.png[/IMG

Nvidia 16x High Quality AF:

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/darksiders22012-08-28louvm.png[/IMG

AF is essentially a "free" effect nowadays, so struggling to fathom why it isn't included in every game.[/QUOTE]

Hey man, care to share the bits :)?

edit : or wait, do you even need bits to force AF in inspector?

Assuming that 4 locations being present automatically means that they will all be equal in size seems to be the problem here.

Earth
was definitely the weakest part of the game, but the
Ivory Citadel
was one of my favorite dungeons, despite the performance hits. I only noticed one real area of the dungeon that gave me frame rate problems though.
It's really tanking for me, I'm trying to look past it though, because this does have some nice puzzles.

JohngPR

So it looks like that patch didn't fix the game progression bug that I have. :(

Does anyone know if I give my weapons to a friend before I start a new game, if I'll be able to still get the weapons back that I got from beating DS1?

malfcn

There are 2 chests in the Psychameron that I can't get. They are near 3 levers.
(I thought I would have 3 Dead Lords to control after beating)

forrest

formerly nacire
There are 2 chests in the Psychameron that I can't get. They are near 3 levers.
(I thought I would have 3 Dead Lords to control after beating)

You don't have what you need to get those yet. You'll get what you need later in the game.

Top Bottom