• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

tsigo

Just finished the game for the first time and the only achievement I need to get is the max out weapons one.

Unfortunately, I barely used the Scythe and Tremor Gauntlet during the game and they're barely leveled. Very few areas of the game have any enemies left -- I think a few in the Choking Grounds and the ones that always spawn in the Scalding Gallow. Grinding it out on those few enemies sounds really terrible. Am I just boned? Do I have to start a new game to do it the most efficiently? Can I do it easily on Normal? I don't feel like going through it on Apocalyptic again.

Einbroch

Banned
tsigo said:
Just finished the game for the first time and the only achievement I need to get is the max out weapons one.

Unfortunately, I barely used the Scythe and Tremor Gauntlet during the game and they're barely leveled. Very few areas of the game have any enemies left -- I think a few in the Choking Grounds and the ones that always spawn in the Scalding Gallow. Grinding it out on those few enemies sounds really terrible. Am I just boned? Do I have to start a new game to do it the most efficiently?
I haven't played the game in a really long time, but I grinded in the spider/web dungeon. There's a room with like dozens of little enemies and all you have to do is walk out and walk back into the room to get them to respawn. Not much help.

tsigo said:

Unfortunately, I barely used the Scythe and Tremor Gauntlet during the game and they're barely leveled. Very few areas of the game have any enemies left -- I think a few in the Choking Grounds and the ones that always spawn in the Scalding Gallow. Grinding it out on those few enemies sounds really terrible. Am I just boned? Do I have to start a new game to do it the most efficiently? Can I do it easily on Normal? I don't feel like going through it on Apocalyptic again.

Take a serpent hole to the Ashlands, then take the horse bridge back to the Iron Canopy (the spiders dungeon). Use the floating platform to get back to the top floor of the boss room, go through the door and through the next tunnels. You should be at the large web door that was sealed originally go through it (you can tell it's the large door because the animation will show War opening one side first then the other). Take a left and drop down a pit, you'll be in a room with lots of little spiders, kill them (the weapon leveling is apparantly based on the number of hits and nothing else). Now backtrack to the large door but don't bother going through it, instead return to the spider room and they should all have respawned. It'll still take a while but it's probably the fastest way to grind them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just rolled through the Black Throne in one sitting today and I loved the hell out of it. The puzzles were all really enjoyable and I liked how it was paced. Also, I am really liking the story.

Oh and the visuals were absolutely spectacular.

Haunted

sn00zer said:
DARKSIDERS 2! DARKSIDERS 2! DARKSIDERS 2! DARKSIDERS 2! DARKSIDERS 2!

Kinda wish its not 4 player coop....but damn if the ending didnt get me pumped
:(

Guys, should I tell him or does someone else want to deliver the bad news?

ArjanN

Einbroch said:
I haven't played the game in a really long time, but I grinded in the spider/web dungeon. There's a room with like dozens of little enemies and all you have to do is walk out and walk back into the room to get them to respawn. Not much help.

That is the best place to grind, it's important to remember you gain experience for your weapons way faster with the right items equipped in the weapon slots. If I remember correctly the legendary item War's Glory gets the biggest experience bonus.

Haunted said:
:(

Guys, should I tell him or does someone else want to deliver the bad news?

What bad new is that? Darksiders 2 is definately coming. And I don't think they've confirmed it having co-op or not.

ArjanN said:
What bad new is that? Darksiders 2 is definately coming. And I don't think they've confirmed it having co-op or not.
Apparently Darksiders 2 is going to be take place during the same time as Darksiders 1, we'll play as a different character and experience another point of view of the same story. So the ending of the first one will (it seems) have no effect on what happens in the second one.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm half asleep right now.

trejo

ArjanN said:
I think he's refering to the statements made that for some god forsaken reason Darksiders 2 won't be picking up where the ending left off but will instead take place concurrently with the first game.

Which is pretty disappointing if you ask me, given that the ending was perfect for a direct follow-up.

This has been on my list for sometime, and just started playing last week. In short, I love it. I love being told a great story so far this has it. I just entered the giant spiders domain so I guess I'm about halfway through. But I'd be remiss if I didn't say that playing Darksiders has got me jonesing for a next gen Legacy of Kain.

Haunted

FunkyPajamas said:
Apparently Darksiders 2 is going to be take place during the same time as Darksiders 1, we'll play as a different character and experience another point of view of the same story. So the ending of the first one will (it seems) have no effect on what happens in the second one.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm half asleep right now.
trejo said:
I think he's refering to the statements made that for some god forsaken reason Darksiders 2 won't be picking up where the ending left off but will instead take place concurrently with the first game.

Which is pretty disappointing if you ask me, given that the ending was perfect for a direct follow-up.
Yup.

One of the best sequel setups this gen, fucking squandered.

Lumine

I'm about to head to the last part, only need need one more piece of the
armageddon blade.
I need to share a couple of annoyances I have with this game though:

First I don't really care for achievements, but when you implent them make sure they actually work. I just checked the list on Steam and I notice I'm missing more than half of them. :(

I'm also missing one piece of the abyssal armour but after checking online I'm pretty sure I got all of them... So I'm guessing it's because I saved the game once after collecting one of the pieces and when I came back I used continue from the main menu. The problem with this is that it reloads the last automatic save and not the last save be it either manual or automatic. Which is quite annoying because I didn't realize this until I was much further in the game.

The game also lacks an overworld for collecting stuff. Re-visiting these dungeons in this manner is just not fun at all.

Finally I wish the PC port was optimized a little better. It was already slightly dissapointing that it lacks any graphical options but I feel that the occasional slowdown could've really been avoided.
Eden,
even though it had no enemies, ran terrible. Felt like it fell far below 20 fps. I also wish the FMV's were kept ingame considering they're made with ingame assets anyway. It makes them look really washed and ugly compared to the game itself.

Only minor flaws though, still love the game.

ShinAmano

trejo said:

Booo.

RPGCrazied

I really liked this game, but to hear they aren't going to really follow the ending of the first Darksiders, I kinda lost all interest in this sequel. That ending was bad ass, and you guys aren't going to follow up on that?

Call me disappointed.

Davidion

I just started this game and am at the
Choking Grounds
. The game isn't bad, but it just seems kind of...plain? Everything is designed to be grandiose and epic and yet the aesthetics and gameplay all just seems kinda ho-hum in that been there done that way. It's decently enjoyable thus far though, and I don't see any particular faults.

I'll see how I feel once I start digging into the dungeons.

Technology-wise the game runs pretty well; I had to drop in a 360 controller file to fake the game into...forcing keyboard controls. Barring that and the occasional hiccup every once in a blue moon everything's running fine.

Salaadin

Any ideas how I can get this working with my Logitech Rumblepad 2? Ive tried the xbox 360 controller emulator but it kills my FPS for some reason.
Maybe Ill finally buy one of those adapters. Im getting really sick of every damn game not supporting anything but Xbox 360 controllers. Really shitty.

John

John said:
on second thought? fuck this game. assigning block, dodge, and dash all to the same button would be a mistake even if the button fucking worked
i'm going to have to supplement this. assigning block, dodge, dash, and parry all to the same button was a mistake.

tsigo

Agreed. Huge mistake. I bought this game a week ago because of all the GOTY praise it was getting. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 for 2010, and the biggest reason is because of the combat. Liked the puzzles and the ending, though.

I ended up almost never using block/counter because I was constantly holding the movement stick in a direction, and so it would just dash instead.

Also having 6 items that you use pretty frequently with only 3 slots to assign them to was an odd choice. Why not just use a radial menu?

ArjanN

Haunted said:
Yup.

One of the best sequel setups this gen, fucking squandered.

I have to disagree. Even though the presentation (voice acting/character design) was good, there really wasn't that much to the story. Does it really matter if you're beating up a bunch of Todd McFarlane-esque demons/angels during or after the events of the first game?

The only real difference is if you get to see the other horsemen or not, and they could still be in Darksiders 2. There's plenty of story you could tell in this universe during the events of the first game.

At least playing with a new character Darksiders avoids the trap Zelda fell into, so they don't have to de-power your character every game and make you get all the same power-ups/items all over again.

Davidion said:
I just started this game and am at the
Choking Grounds
. The game isn't bad, but it just seems kind of...plain? Everything is designed to be grandiose and epic and yet the aesthetics and gameplay all just seems kinda ho-hum in that been there done that way. It's decently enjoyable thus far though, and I don't see any particular faults.

I'll see how I feel once I start digging into the dungeons.

I kind of felt the same at the start, but the game does get better the more items/abilities you unlock. A lot of Zelda-clones and other games with RPG elements suffer from this as well, because the first couple of hours you're kind of weak and don't have a lot of options.

Holy fuck, the Tiamat boss fuck is fucking horrendous. Clunky locking on and clunky aiming controls are making me want to kick the developers in the balls with steel toed boots. This shit is fucking awful, and I was loving the game till this point. I get 1 or 2 days a week to play games and lets waste it doing the same awful boss fight over and over again.

Shin Johnpv said:
Holy fuck, the Tiamat boss fuck is fucking horrendous. Clunky locking on and clunky aiming controls are making me want to kick the developers in the balls with steel toed boots. This shit is fucking awful, and I was loving the game till this point. I get 1 or 2 days a week to play games and lets waste it doing the same awful boss fight over and over again.

Are you playing console or PC?
On the PC version, I had a pretty easy time with it.
Just use the over the shoulder aiming and throw sticky bomb. Then do the lock on with the wind sheer thing.

Playing on the PS3, just finally beat her. The second half of the boss battle isn't bad at all. Infact I liked the dodging her swoop down attacks, and the overall second half, and stopping her charge etc etc. It was just that first half, holy fuck. Not being able to dodge while carrying an item made it even worse, add on her constantly moving, and having to be so close to get a lock on, made the first half just painfully frustrating, and not enjoyable.

Glad I finally beat her though and can enjoy the rest of the game now.

Ledsen

Shin Johnpv said:

Weird, I never had a problem with that fight. Just grab the bombs, aim and throw quickly. I actually think I only died once and that was in the second half.

Lumine

I'm also certain you can still dodge/dash when carrying an item. Though I have to admit it was hard to dodge her attacks when you're trying to aim/lock-on to her. It took me 2 tries to get her down, but only because I forgot I had to hit the fire with the crossblade first before hitting her.

Like I said I find the lock on and aiming really slow and clunky. I wasn't able to get him to dodge while holding an item and aiming. I would hit the R1 button for dodging and nothing would happen.

Maybe I need to play with the analog stick settings or something because I find it just really slow and imprecise. Specially for having to lock onto a specific spot where the bomb is.

I'm really enjoying everything else about the game, but found the whole lock on and analog stick aiming controls to be clunky and super annoying in the boss fight.

I've found the aiming for stuff overall to just be clunky, when you're riding the angelic beast thing was another spot where the aiming just felt slow, clunky, inaccurate and annoying to me.

tsigo

While getting the achievement where you have to kill 160 enemies during the Panzer Dragoon-style part I basically just bumped up the aiming sensitivity all the way and left it that way the whole game, so yeah you might want to mess with them.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked it up on the 360 yesterday and so far I really like it. I also dig the art and was a fan of Joe Mad when he was doing X-Men back in the day.

ArjanN

tsigo said:
While getting the achievement where you have to kill 160 enemies during the Panzer Dragoon-style part I basically just bumped up the aiming sensitivity all the way and left it that way the whole game, so yeah you might want to mess with them.

The aiming is really easy on PC with the mouse.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I'm stuck at the stygian boss. I thought I killed it but apparently the guide is still bugging me to find the heart. Is it possible I missed the item drop? I'm back at the big desert and have no idea where to go next.

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
Is there some kind of known glitch in the game?
Ever since I got up to Tiamet (finally win), the game locks up on me.
Screen gets all liney and freezes. Have to restart. It's now done this 5 times in a row after I reload. I can't progress.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just started this, and I have to say that I love the voice acting. Liam O'Brien, Moon Bloodgood, Phil LaMarr, Troy Baker, Mark Hamill, Vernon Wells...goddamn they got such a great cast.

Maffis

Shin Johnpv said:
Playing on the PS3, just finally beat her. The second half of the boss battle isn't bad at all. Infact I liked the dodging her swoop down attacks, and the overall second half, and stopping her charge etc etc. It was just that first half, holy fuck. Not being able to dodge while carrying an item made it even worse, add on her constantly moving, and having to be so close to get a lock on, made the first half just painfully frustrating, and not enjoyable.

Glad I finally beat her though and can enjoy the rest of the game now.

Skill issue. Played in on PS3 too and had no problems what so ever.

scoot3r

I put this down for a few months and picked it back up last week and beat another boss ive got 3/4 hearts. This game has a way of frustrating me..plus after beating castlevania: LoS kind of feels like the same game. Ill try and beat it soon tho

Erasus

Melhisedek said:
PC or PS3 for this one?

I am running this on PC, but I kinda wish I had gotten it for PS3. Sure, I am running it in 1080p on PC but it is CPU limited and it drops to 20fps sometimes. And the framerate does not change when I turn it down to 720p. Running on a Athlon X2 7750 2.7GHZ, 4GB RAM and an ATI 4830, so I meet the specs.

So the framerate can be 80 in an empty room but drops to 40 when 2 enemies go in. Even more and it drops to 25. But if you have a good computer then get it for PC always. I play with a 360 controller and it works great.

I am at the black throne and I love this game. The art style, the graphics are great and fresh. I actually like the combat a lot, though I mostly use the chaoseater. The pacing and puzzles are really great too, you never feel like you are doing 1 thing for too long, the mix is just right imo. A great action adventure.

AshMcCool

So I met this gentleman zombie. I've got him a beating, but when I turned into chaos form he vanished. Wasn't I supposed to go into chaos form? Did I missed something?

John

Melhisedek said:
PC or PS3 for this one?
having played both quite a bit, PC easily if you've got a middling pc or better. the extra IQ helps distinguish war from other baddies in fights. also it looks better for its own sake.

tsigo

AshMcCool said:
So I met this gentleman zombie. I've got him a beating, but when I turned into chaos form he vanished. Wasn't I supposed to go into chaos form? Did I missed something?

No. If you beat him without Chaos form you get like 2,500 blue orbs. If you go into Chaos he gets scared, or something, and leaves.

ArjanN

AshMcCool said:

He shows up like 4 times. (If you're trying to find all the items/upgrades anyway)
As I understand it, he's basically a in-joke because there were a bunch of english dudes on the development team.

Just fight him for some extra souls. Normal attacks down't work well on him though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
AshMcCool said:

You shouldn't have gone into Chaos form. He's there to give bonus souls if you beat him in a gentlemanly duel. Turning into a big ass flaming demon is cheating, quite frankly!

AshMcCool

Guess he is a hypocritical ass, then. He fights with like 10 other demons accompanying him. How is that gentleman-like? Also: True Gentleman doesn't hold back in a duel, cause that would disgrace the opponent.

wrowa

Okay, I'm fighting against the last boss right now, but to be honest I lost interest in the game which is why I am not really motivated anymore to seriously trying to beat him.

What can I say about the game? It was fun, certainly. And that's all it is; a nice game, but nothing more than that. The game is absolutely uninspired - literally every single idea is straight copied from another game -, the story never really takes off (and I've already forgotten why I spent most of the time searching for some hearts) and while the first dungeons are fun, the weaknesses of the game's design become more and more apparent the further you get into the game. To the degree that it's less fun than annoying to play.

But nevertheless it's a fun game. It's a Zelda clone through and through - and even though playing Darksiders reminded me again why I appreciate Nintendo's series so much, playing a Zelda-style game is always worth my time.

Will definitely keep an eye on the sequel.

Edit: Okay, finished it. Yeah, well, regarding the story... it's awful. It's even worse than the Zelda games. Everything just felt like some kind of lame prologue to a greater story - especially with that cliffhanger at the end - and knowing that the sequel won't continue at that point makes things even worse.

Erasus

Just completed this on PC and I really like it. The graphics and artstyle really fit together, while not technically impressive it is a fine looking game. I love the style of it. The gameplay is great, and I actually like the combat though I really never used the secondary weps in combat. Though not as deep as DMC or Ninja Gaiden the game does not need to be really. The story is nice a epic!

Top Bottom