• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkstalkers Resurrection |OT| aaaAAAaaa!!! Real monsters!

Nice OP man.

I'll be on XBL. I think I will stick with Demitri and Talbain. I wish Donovan was in this so bad. Talking VS of course.

Also, I think that transformation memory excuse for no Demitri in Marvel is BS, lol.

I hope Donovan and Demitri get into Marvel 4. Double D Darkstalkers,

One thing that was also said about Demitri is that Marvel didn't want their characters gender swapped. They are very anal about how their characters are portrayed.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
And deal with Digital River? No thanks.

It was pretty awesome getting some games a week before release from them, and then I got Digital River'd-- they wouldn't let me cancel my orders (early) and I got the games from them late.

Never again.

First reviews trickling out, Eurogamer giving the game an 8/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-12-darkstalkers-resurrection-review

Here's some things of interest from the review :
Eurogamer said:
To help first-time hunters and saviours ease into the Darkstalkers way of thinking, Iron Galaxy has crafted a tutorial mode that teaches the fundamental strategies of each character through five lessons each. These aren't combo trials in the strictest sense but you'll learn how to use Jedah's spinning scythes to set up his unblockable air grab and the art of angling Talbain's ES Beast Cannon so it hits five times in midair.

----

In terms of creating a stable online environment where you can adjust the GGPO delay and see your opponent's ping rating before a match begins, Resurrection is hard to fault.

Didn't know about this stuff. Can't help but feel the touch of MikeZ and Skullgirls on that bolded feature though, glad to see good ideas expand beyond one game.

You can also apparently ban as many as five characters in the player made lobbies. That's fun.

HyperHip

Any truth to the 2F delay?

http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2013/03/10/dsr-and-other-qa-with-ayano-san

Please tell us about the input lag in the arcade and console versions.

A: We tested Darkstalkers Resurrection with CRT monitors. Compared to the arcade versions of Night Warriors and Darkstalkers 3, the input delay on Darkstalkers Resurrection is within 2 frames. From a software and hardware perspective, that is the closest we can tune the game. The main reason that you may experience a lot of input lag is due to the type of TV/monitor you use, so we recommend using either a monitor with a very high refresh rate, or a CRT monitor. (The latter may be hard to do in this day and age…)

Didn't know about this stuff. Can't help but feel the touch of MikeZ and Skullgirls on that bolded feature though, glad to see good ideas expand beyond one game.

You can also apparently ban as many as five characters in the player made lobbies. That's fun.

GGPO has had the delay option for years now. I'm pretty sure it was in an XBLA arcade game too... probably 3rd Strike

Damn, how much will this hurt the gameplay? I remember BB hood being link heavy.

I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that a delay as long as it is consistent really doesn't hurt links in particular. If you have to press MP exactly 6 frames after LP that delay gap is the same as if there was no delay in the mix at all. The timing of the hits is still the exact same amount of frames apart. What it does hurt is something like throw teching. In that case you are not just timing "press A" X frames after "press B". There you have to see something on screen happen and then react to it with specific input within X number of frames. In that case the lag does hurt you, because if you normally have X frames to react to a throw with a tech you now have (X-2) frames to react in a case with continual 2F input lag.

NEO0MJ

I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that a delay as long as it is consistent really doesn't hurt links in particular. If you have to press MP exactly 6 frames after LP that delay gap is the same as if there was no delay in the mix at all. The timing of the hits is still the exact same amount of frames apart. What it does hurt is something like throw teching. In that case you are not just timing "press A" X frames after "press B". There you have to see something on screen happen and then react to it with specific input within X number of frames. In that case the lag does hurt you, because if you normally have X frames to react to a throw with a tech you now have (X-2) frames to react in a case with continual 2F input lag.

Aha. guess they should give throws more start-up frames then, after all all they have to do is add +2 frames to the data. Easy as pie.

I'm kidding! I know how that stuff is =p

But isn't there already a gender swapped universe in Marvel?

Yeah a few of the characters have female versions. I just remember Capcom saying that not only did Marvel not want the characters changed but it was hell just trying to get some of the alternate costumes approved.

NEO0MJ

Yeah a few of the characters have female versions. I just remember Capcom saying that not only did Marvel not want the characters changed but it was hell just trying to get some of the alternate costumes approved.

Heck, they even had problems with alt. colors.

Marvel was super uptight about anything that deviated from their vision of the Marvel cast. It was pretty insane. No way Demitri's midnight bliss would fly in a situation like that.

No way

Thank you based Iron Galaxy.

*bows*

HyperHip

My god this side view is awesome! Loving all these display options this game has. Not a fan of these portraits though. -_-

Just decided to check the Eurogamer review and holy shit what the fuck is that image at the top of the page. Goddamn why would anyone use that ugly ass filter? I haven't been this repulsed since my cousin showed me a neon green custom color in SFxT.

yuck

Tizoc

hehe
I can combo into Gallon's command super, and I've managed to cancel Lilith's St. HK into her command super as well.
Game is too fast for me gotta say but I'll keep practicing to get better >=3

NEO0MJ

Oh, what's the default speed setting for this game? Normal?
And I can't do any of my old stuff right. My finger tricks with Jedah seem much slower.

Ranked seems pretty lively on Savior, but Player Match isn't very active. I can't really say that I like how either player can pick the stage, either - it can be a little confusing. But other than those small nitpicks, I don't have many problems with online matches.

I can't wait to try Hunter out later; I haven't played that game with a lot of other people, so it should be interesting.

Wow, I'm actually really impressed with the tutorials in DS:R. Every lesson is accompanied by you trying out whatever special move or combo or technique it wants you to get a handle of.

Chapter 1 for BB Hood went over her basic chain into a knockdown and use of her command grab and overhead for blocking opponents

Chapter 2 introduced her dash link off of d.MP My only complaint is that it's using terminology like "Jab Strong Forward" vs. LP MP MK. and now it's teaching me how to use her unblockable which is just ... o_O

Chapter 3 is missile introduction and the revelation that her crawl move is grab invincible so it suggests you use it to punish those situations. The trying out portion of that part was kinda janky since the example wasnt really like the situation they threw you in, took me a while to realize that I could ignore hood dashing around and just do the cross over whenever I wanted to.

Chapter 4 is guard cancelling and a quick punish string. Self explanatory but a little odd that they chose BB Hood as the practice dummy in this case because her standing normals whiff on crouching and it doesnt start you out in the corner to avoid just walking backwards. Had to walk up, crouch a second, then time my block with her first move. Wasn't terribly difficult. Quick punish example is actually quite useful and not something I had thought to use before. My timing with pursuits is still awful

Chapter 5 begins with BB Hood's dash loop, again a surprising point where I didnt believe the tutorial would really push it that far. All I gotta say is I'm glad I practiced this back on GGPO before trying this stuff. :p

The tutorials overall seem to combine character specific mechanics with basic overall mechanics so while you learn how to do various things with your character you also experience different aspects of the game and how to incorporate things into your style of play.

----

Side Note :
The button select is rapid fire ala Skullgirls as well, so it's hitting your 3 punches in a row, then your 3 kicks, then setting 3P and 3K buttons. Great stuff.

The command supers take time, but once you get the hang of it you are good. Trust me, shit was terrible for me because I couldn't Tenrai Ha. The best place to practice it is in a mode that gives you infinite meter so you can spam it twenty times in a row.

The command supers take time, but once you get the hang of it you are good. Trust me, shit was terrible for me because I couldn't Tenrai Ha. The best place to practice it is in a mode that gives you infinite meter so you can spam it twenty times in a row.

Command Supers' inputs are like Akuma's super in SF?

vocab

People on Twitter are saying the netcode is a blowup?

Seems fine to me. I was talking to the ggpo regulars, and some said it was good, and some said omg rollbacks.

My impression? It's good. I had one really bad match. the guy had 800 ping. It's peer 2 peer. Shitty connections will ruin any game. I've seen lag in arc skys games, and it has the best online.

Top Bottom