• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkstalkers Resurrection |OT| aaaAAAaaa!!! Real monsters!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a button to start over a tutorial? Select is standard in fighting games...here it doesn't seem to be the case. :(

explodet

As a stick player for SSFIV and MvC3, and a pad player for SFIII HD, I gotta say, playing this game on a pad is ASS. I gotta get access to my stick, and soon.

So uh ... is there no function in the training mode that infinitely replays your recorded dummy action? Do I have to go in the menu each time and press replay?

Also does anyone know how the save states work in training mode?

Man fuck these challenges. So fucking sick of developers tying trophies to this shit.

Yeah, 75% of the trophies are linked to finishing challenges. =/

I also hate how Iron Galaxy always rips out the opening attract, ranking, etc. I mean, you can apparently unlock them in the vault but it's not really the same.

But whatever, I'm just glad this game is out. Love The Vampire series.

Ok, I have question about combo timing. I am working Felicia's Chapter 3 challenge in Night Warriors.

Standing LP
Crouching MK
ES Rolling Buckler

Now if I ignore the standing s.LP and chain the c.MK into the ES Rolling Buckler it comes out effortlessly. However, when I add the s.LP I can't get it to come out anymore no matter how fast or slow I input the commands. If someone could explain to me why this happens it would be so helpful.

Dachande

I also hate how Iron Galaxy always rips out the opening attract, ranking, etc. I mean, you can apparently unlock them in the vault but it's not really the same.

Argh, they did that here too? That's really fucking annoying, I was pissed off when they left it out of SF3. You're right in that it's just not the same.

vocab

Ok, I have question about combo timing. I am working Felicia's Chapter 3 challenge in Night Warriors.

Standing LP
Crouching MK
ES Rolling Buckler

Now if I ignore the standing s.LP and chain the c.MK into the ES Rolling Buckler it comes out effortlessly. However, when I add the s.LP I can't get it to come out anymore no matter how fast or slow I input the commands. If someone could explain to me why this happens it would be so helpful.

Its probably a link.

Edit: Ya. It's a link. I linked all three together, and it worked.

Wow, I'm actually really impressed with the tutorials in DS:R. Every lesson is accompanied by you trying out whatever special move or combo or technique it wants you to get a handle of.

The tutorials overall seem to combine character specific mechanics with basic overall mechanics so while you learn how to do various things with your character you also experience different aspects of the game and how to incorporate things into your style of play.

Nice post.
Felicia's tutorial for Savior seems to be more scattershot than the more complex characters, which makes sense because she's got a little bit of everything.

Chapter 1 for Felicia seems to be pretty similar to B.B.'s - it covers the basic knockdown chains and explains that her dash, and any attacks that are performed during it, are considered airborne, and that the attacks are overheads.

Chapter 2 covered her command throw and threw in an example on how to link her normals in order to combo into the Rolling Buckler. Solid stuff, I think.

Chapter 3 covered how to use some of her anti-air attacks (namely crouching Fierce and the rising motion of Delta Kick) with the right positioning, and how to use Wall Clutch.

Chapter 4 showed how to Guard Cancel, which is cool, and how to use EX Charge, which was a little weird; I rarely, if ever, see Felicia players use EX Charges in a real match. But they pointed out the recovery time on the move, so they weren't sloppy about it.

Chapter 5 - BAM! Kitty's Helper loops outta nowhere. They were two of the simpler ones (crouching Jab > c. Short > Kitty's Helper and standing Forward, Jab Cat Spike, Kitty's Helper), but still - it's kind of a steep learning curve considering that every other tutorial was so simple.

It would have been nice if they expounded upon some stuff that they mentioned in the early chapters, as well. For instance: they already used Dash Fierce as an example of a dash attack, and that would have been a good time to point out that using a hard attack at the end of a dash lets you link another attack into it. Even Dash > j. Fierce > Jab would have been nice. And in Chapter 3, they could have thrown in how to use standing Light; it stuffs a surprising amount of normals. But I guess players are expected to piece that stuff together over time, so I guess they thought stuff like that doesn't really fit into a tutorial for her specifically, or something. I dunno.

So uh ... is there no function in the training mode that infinitely replays your recorded dummy action? Do I have to go in the menu each time and press replay?

Also does anyone know how the save states work in training mode?

Save states work like they do in Skullgirls - you hit the command for the save state while something's going on, and then you can go back to that moment. You only have one save state, and in this game you can reset it by holding the same command for about a second or so. I find pressing Start and Select at the same time on a pad to be a little awkward, so I'm usually a second or so off. It would have been nice to be able to map it to one button.

I can't find any settings for the dummy that can make it repeat its recordings. I guess you'll just have to use the save state function with the recording function or something.

vocab

Ok, I thought I knew what linking was but I guess not. Is what I was trying to do a two-in-one maybe? How do you link?

Wait for the animation to finish. So it's jab wait for animation to finish, and go into cr.mk. Try to do that first, and the rest will be easy. I think you have to link the jab to cr.mk for it even to consider to combo the spin. I tried to chain st.jab into cr.mk, and tried to link the spin, but it didn't work.

I'm not good at teaching fighting games to other people. So I'm really sorry if what I said does not help at all =/

Ok, I thought I knew what linking was but I guess not. Is what I was trying to do a two-in-one maybe? How do you link?

You link by throwing out a normal attack, and then hitting the opponent with another attack before they have a chance to recover. In both Hunter and Savior, chains don't combo into special moves, so most characters have to link normals and then combo into special moves.

Felicia has a couple of combos in Hunter that have strict links, and this challenge has one of them. You have to throw out Crouching MK as soon as Felicia's able to move, or else it won't link with Standing LP. Try holding down as soon as LP hits, and then pressing MK as soon as she starts to crouch; combo MK into ES Rolling Buckler after that and it should connect. Remember to leave some space in between the moves - they can chain into each other as well, and that can mess you up.

EDIT: Gah! Beaten twice by vocab!

GGs SousedLouse, my internet's decided to kill itself for now but I thoroughly enjoyed those matches. Learning BB Hood has really been an uphill battle for me and it's depressing to me that I put in at least twice the amount of work in her and am still better with Sasquatch.

Awesome Felicia for sure, looking forward to our matches in the future.

GGs SousedLouse, my internet's decided to kill itself for now but I thoroughly enjoyed those matches. Learning BB Hood has really been an uphill battle for me I think and it's depressing to me that I put in at least twice the amount of work and am still better with Sasquatch. Awesome Felicia for sure, looking forward to our matches in the future.

It's hard to swing over Sasquatch and his big-ass hitboxes, that's for sure :p
I thought you were doing pretty well with B.B., though - you definitely used more tricky stuff near the end of our sets, and we had closer matches because of it.

GGs, and I hope we can play again soon.

I may have hit a glitch. Jedah's trial 1, I'm doing the combo it says to do successfully, but it stops at Crouching Forward in my trial progression, even though I successfully hit the combo.

B-Dex

Got my 2 earnable trophies. Probably won't bother getting the rest of them haha damn challenges.

Rikuo
4 life.

Haven't played online with randoms yet, I think I've been traumatized by the GGPO crew for the past 4 months and am now terrified of randoms in this game.

Everyone was ridiculous in the GGPO room. Everyone.
=[

how do you pushblock

Quoting myself for awesome.
DiscoShark said:
If you're playing Vampire Savior (will be referred to as vsav from this point on) you're inevitably going to tackle the pushblocking mechanic present in this game. Unlike other game's implementation of this mechanic it can be a bit of a daunting task learning how to do it consistently in Vsav yet it is perhaps the most important mechanic to learn in the mid->high levels of the game.

How it works :
You have to piano inputs in Vsav in order to activate the pushblock. There's a 0% chance of it activating on the first two inputs and every subsequent input after the first two inputs will increase the likelihood of a pushblock occuring:
3 inputs - +25% chance
4 inputs - +37% chance
5 inputs - +28% chance
6 inputs - +9% chance

The 6th input will give you a 100% overall chance of the pushblock activating.

The specific strength of the button used while activating pushblock also determines the distance that the opponent pushes them back, Lights don't push them very far, Medium pushes them back a tad further, and Heavies push them out even more. Naturally then the best way to pushblock

Techniques and Video Guides :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3yn3fqtYlY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP2u-HJAFpA

Credits to :
http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Vampire_Savior/

For specific information.

Edit : Hmm, this post wasn't an edit.

Morris

Disco Devil
Sorry about that lag when we played ranked Tek, my bro was using my net.

I really need to learn how to block Q-bee's stuff lol. Let's play one of these days.

Also you can't bitch about rikuo when you play bee :<

When finding a character you want to main should you just play around with their movesets or should you just try every character's challenges first? Hmm...

vocab

When finding a character you want to main should you just play around with their movesets or should you just try every character's challenges first? Hmm...
Challenges in fighting games always deter me away from characters. Can't do this stupid ass combo? Fuck that, next character. My love hate relationship with fighting games is very schizophrenic. Execution is something I can never overcome.

My advice, just pick a character that feels comfortable.

tearsofash

I haven't played a Capcom fighter in so long I've forgotten what things like Auto and Turbo even mean.

Otherwise I'm having tons of fun. Love the presentation. Wish this was their other releases were.

Top Bottom