• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkstalkers Resurrection |OT| aaaAAAaaa!!! Real monsters!

Non competitive observations...

-Glad to see the trivia back. (Why is Anita mentioned in the Darkstalkers 3 menu?)
-New artwork is nice, but I don't know why all the characters don't appear in the proper menus. (No Hsien-ko on the Night Warriors menu, no Lilith or Jedah in the DS3 menu.)
-Curious as to why there is a link to the PSN store on the menu...

Anyway, I put my money where my mouth is, so DS4 now please. But unless Capcom adds back in the missing content, I'll be sticking with my copy of Darkstalkers Collection for actual play.

Tizoc

Yeah, 75% of the trophies are linked to finishing challenges. =/

I also hate how Iron Galaxy always rips out the opening attract, ranking, etc. I mean, you can apparently unlock them in the vault but it's not really the same.

But whatever, I'm just glad this game is out. Love The Vampire series.

Nobody watches fighting game attract themes anymore anyways =/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This game reminds me how much more I enjoy DS3 over DS2.

ScOULaris

Played a couple of ranked matches blind last night before bed, and it looks like I've got some work ahead of me. :)

It's good to hear that the tutorials in the game are up to snuff. I only played Darkstalkers a few times during my youth, so I really have no old muscle memory or mechanical understanding to recall from before. This is basically a brand new game to me, and it's exciting to be starting fresh with such a colorful cast of characters.

So far, I like Talbain. I think I'll try to learn him.

Is there any reason to play DS2 over Vampire Savior? From what I could tell, DS3 has more of everything.

PS - The animation in both games is SUPERB. Not quite 3S level, but it's right up there with Garou despite having been released years prior.

Tizoc

Played a couple of ranked matches blind last night before bed, and it looks like I've got some work ahead of me. :)

It's good to hear that the tutorials in the game are up to snuff. I only played Darkstalkers a few times during my youth, so I really have no old muscle memory or mechanical understanding to recall from before. This is basically a brand new game to me, and it's exciting to be starting fresh with such a colorful cast of characters.

So far, I like Talbain. I think I'll try to learn him.

Is there any reason to play DS2 over Vampire Savior? From what I could tell, DS3 has more of everything.

PS - The animation in both games is SUPERB. Not quite 3S level, but it's right up there with Garou despite having been released years prior.

Not quite? I'd say the Darkstalkers' animations are better, heck just look at the animation of EACH stage. Then look at how each character animates standing, crouching and when they attack.

ScOULaris

Not quite? I'd say the Darkstalkers' animations are better, heck just look at the animation of EACH stage. Then look at how each character animates standing, crouching and when they attack.

Like I said, the animation is very lively and detailed, and the stages are indeed amazing. I still have to give 3S the top spot in terms of character animation though, because everything animates at just the right speed to be able to see every detail of the movement without sacrificing play speed. Darkstalkers, by comparison, has very fluid animations, but they fly by too quickly to fully appreciate them at times.

I put it up with the likes of Garou, which is certainly a compliment.
3AQmK.gif

Nobody watches fighting game attract themes anymore anyways =/

I'm pretty sure Darkstalkers fans and players- the people who are buying this- are the same people who appreciate the attract mode. Same with SF fans and players with 3rd Strike. IG knows this, which is why they figured the attract mode is something that should be removed.

ScOULaris

This game is sooo cool! But DAMN those combo timings, so different than the current generation fighters

Other than linking specials and supers off of normals, doesn't this series have mostly chain combos? I've only played a few matches so far, so I could be wrong.

Other than linking specials and supers off of normals, doesn't this series have mostly chain combos? I've only played a few matches so far, so I could be wrong.

It really depends on the character. BB Hood for instance is very dependent on her links in order to be really effective. A lot of characters have links off of their dashing moves as well and being able to convert off of those can be pretty important.

Edit : LOL This Rikuo tutorial.
"While you are better off using a successful Water Jail to start a Water Jail loop, you may want to look amazing at some point, and this combo will help."

Thanks Iron Galaxy. Thanks for being awesome.

Tizoc

This game is sooo cool! But DAMN those combo timings, so different than the current generation fighters

Well it's the grandaddy/grandmother of various concepts used in fighters nowadays ;)
Approach it differently than you would any other fighting game.

For those wondering whether to start on2 or 3, keep in mind that their speeds are different. 3 is faster than 2. Chances are 3 will be the most played, so you could focus on that.

Messing around in 2 however I find that Pyron has some neat ways of leading to mix-ups, like if his projectile hits, you can whiff his Pursuit which'll land you smack in front of your opponent.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This is what I'm wondering. Is there any reason to play DS2 instead of DS3?

-You don't care for dark force

-You want to play as Pyron, Huitzil, and Donovan

-I got nothing else, lol

Vampire Savior is the superior game IMO. It still has a modern feel to it and is faster-paced- not just in game speed but in the way that rounds work.

I wish instead of just doing arcade ports, they'd take Vampire Chronicle, balance things out, and throw in the Vampire Hunter backgrounds (it already has the music from all the games).

NeonZ

This is what I'm wondering. Is there any reason to play DS2 instead of DS3?

The gameplay systems of both are quite different in some aspects, and some movesets work pretty differently in each game. I think DS3 is better, but it's not just an "upgrade" of the same game, unlike DS1 vs DS2. I guess there might be people who prefer Hunter somewhere.

Skilletor

-You don't care for dark force

-You want to play as Pyron, Huitzil, and Donovan

-I got nothing else, lol

Vampire Savior is the superior game IMO. It still has a modern feel to it and is faster-paced- not just in game speed but in the way that rounds work.

I wish instead of just doing arcade ports, they'd take Vampire Chronicle, balance things out, and throw in the Vampire Hunter backgrounds (it already has the music from all the games).

I want them to do this for VS and the (hopefully) inevitable alpha collection.

Picked it up on 360 this morning. I'll be around later tonight if anybody wants to get some games in. I have to add DarkstalkersGAF.

RS4-

Well this is a nice change. The game actually requires some effort and timing, rather than the usual lax sfxt/marvel type of chaining and combos.

Feels good.

SkylineRKR

Yeah I don't dig SFIV but I still love SFA3, SF3, VS etc.

As for Hunter and Savior, they are like night and day. Savior has a completely different feel and the round system is like Killer Instinct. Hunter on the other hand is a much better DS1 so it makes sense that DS1 isn't here.

Tried playing some Q Bee last night, clearly I never played her well if I did play her. I am garbage with air dash characters.

I think MvC1 was the last Capcom game I was any good at. MvC2 turned into 10 years of Sentinel and Magneto, I simply couldn't hang.

Skilletor

Tried playing some Q Bee last night, clearly I never played her well if I did play her. I am garbage with air dash characters.

I swear the input for the airdash is working different facing left vs. right. Facing left, u/f,f gives me a super quick airdash. Facing right, not working. I'll have to turn on inputs to see if I'm actually hitting u/f, I guess.

Q-bee would probably be my kind of character if I learned how to consistently airdash with her. Marvel style games have spoiled me with their button dashes. I've only been good at them when using pad and vsav is simply better played on a stick.

RS4-

Doing 360 motions is harder than ST.

How do some of these trials work? I don't get the workaround with the chain into ES moves. Unless those are links.

Speaking of the trials, there's no button that shows you the inputs, instead of forcing you to go through the menu? Back/select is taunt.

Slygmous

These tutorials are killing me! I can't finish anybody's second tutorial.

I knew I'd have a hard time with a pad, but wow at that timing.

Rotanibor

The amount of work they'd have to do to even make the Savior characters actually play correctly would be huge. That game just has way more problems than people realize. I'm tempted to make a change log for it at some point, because this keeps coming up.

Lol Rotanibor number one on xbox live ranked. Floe was at top at one point.

My friend Diar past me now apparently. I am gonna have to grind a bit today to get back on top. My ratio is still better than his though! Stupid Diar.

I swear the input for the airdash is working different facing left vs. right. Facing left, u/f,f gives me a super quick airdash. Facing right, not working. I'll have to turn on inputs to see if I'm actually hitting u/f, I guess.

It is exactly the same, its just hard for peoples hands to naturally do this on that side. It common problem for anybody learning this style of airdash (uf -> f). Keep in mind you can also do up forward -> up forward, or up forward -> down forward. Find what works best for you while training it.

Doing 360 motions is harder than ST.

There is a good chance you just aren't close enough to the opponent. Throw ranges are small in this game, it is something you should be aware of. Generally, I'd say the best way to throw is starting from forward, doing half circle back with ending on up, and then pressing the button. This can be done pretty easily and consistently, just practice at it a bit.

How do some of these trials work? I don't get the workaround with the chain into ES moves. Unless those are links.

Yes, it should most likely be doing a chain into a link. Characters that would require this probably have pretty easy links so don't sweat it.

Rotanibor

Also, I can do a GAF lobby on 360 this Saturday or Sunday with a stream if people are interested, giving out advice where it may be needed.

vocab

My biggest struggle with this game besides finding a character I like is dealing with the slide/roll when I knock the other person down. I just can't deal with the way people wake up in this game. It's very hard to establish any kind of pressure when they just get the fuck out of the corner for for free. It's frustrating.

Skilletor

My biggest struggle with this game besides finding a character I like is dealing with the slide/roll when I knock the other person down. I just can't deal with the way people wake up in this game. It's very hard to establish any kind of pressure when they just get the fuck out of the corner for for free. It's frustrating.

With Talbain, I like to dash backwards with an attack for an ambiguous crossup on wakeup. It trains them not to roll when they aren't sure where to block after they do.

Predict the roll and punish accordingly. I like to dash back and immediately Tenrai-Ha to push them right back into the corner. Bait anyone with a good GC/DP instead and then combo into TRH if necessary(Demitri, Morrigan, etc.).

Rotanibor

This is one of the biggest points of the game, and hardest to learn. Generally, its one of those things that will come with experience and time, but you may want to look at this to help you out.

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/anpedror/recovery.htm

If you notice, every single character has a different neutral wake up timing, and a different roll wake-up timing. Some characters rolls are slow enough you can just follow them on their roll to where they end up, and some you honestly just straight up need to make a guess.

Generally, the closer your neutral wake up time and your roll wakeup timing are together, the more difficult the roll may be to deal with at first, but at the same time, the easier it may be for you to mix them up on their roll if you guess correctly (Such as if you jump backwards while standing next to their body and the wakeup with forward roll, giving you a cross up. Or standind/neutral jumping where they may roll to make it hard to tell which side you will be on.)

Not being always able catch the roll in this game is something that isn't necessarily bad, it just adds another layer to the game.

(Q-bee on the page above I discovered has incorrect neutral wakeup data, she is only 1 frame faster than Zabel on neutral.)

Top Bottom